STD Maintenance General Old vs New om603 Video

Old vs New om603 Video

Old vs New om603 Video

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jonbobshinigin
Holset

09-06-2010, 01:10 PM #1
Ok...I recently acquired another 603 car and got a video of my current one vs this one. They sound very different and I would like to through around some thoughts as to why, and hear what you think as well. I will give info on what I know of each of the engines.

1st Engine - 1987 300TDT Wagon, 185k miles, running on Mobil 1 TDT Synthetic since about 155k, fuel filters changed, injectors pop tested and ok, ALDA removed, new style vacuum pump, no vacuum leaks, making full boost, ELR (Idle control) set at 5. Oil pressure stays above 2, A/C Works but not on in video.

2nd Engine - 1987 300TD Sedan, 227k miles, running on 15/40 dino (unsure of brand and not sure of history, primary fuel filter changed, unsure about injectors, ALDA intact, old vacuum pump, unsure about vacuum leaks, unsure about boost, ELR (Idle control) set at 7, Oil pressure is at 0 until I rev engine, A/C status unknown.

All this is to give some objective information about each engine and to speculate a bit...then hopefully at some point I am going to clean up the second/dirty one and make it run like the first, doing little things at a time and seeing what changes things.

It sounds as if the first one idles at a much quicker and smoother rate, whereas the second seems to idle slow and less smoothly, even though the second one is at 7 on the ELR. What are your thoughts?

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF20i_Ny5U0
This post was last modified: 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM by jonbobshinigin.

1987 300TDT - 260,000 Miles
>>275HP OM603 Project Profile here<<

jonbobshinigin
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM #1

Ok...I recently acquired another 603 car and got a video of my current one vs this one. They sound very different and I would like to through around some thoughts as to why, and hear what you think as well. I will give info on what I know of each of the engines.

1st Engine - 1987 300TDT Wagon, 185k miles, running on Mobil 1 TDT Synthetic since about 155k, fuel filters changed, injectors pop tested and ok, ALDA removed, new style vacuum pump, no vacuum leaks, making full boost, ELR (Idle control) set at 5. Oil pressure stays above 2, A/C Works but not on in video.

2nd Engine - 1987 300TD Sedan, 227k miles, running on 15/40 dino (unsure of brand and not sure of history, primary fuel filter changed, unsure about injectors, ALDA intact, old vacuum pump, unsure about vacuum leaks, unsure about boost, ELR (Idle control) set at 7, Oil pressure is at 0 until I rev engine, A/C status unknown.

All this is to give some objective information about each engine and to speculate a bit...then hopefully at some point I am going to clean up the second/dirty one and make it run like the first, doing little things at a time and seeing what changes things.

It sounds as if the first one idles at a much quicker and smoother rate, whereas the second seems to idle slow and less smoothly, even though the second one is at 7 on the ELR. What are your thoughts?

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF20i_Ny5U0

1987 300TDT - 260,000 Miles
>>275HP OM603 Project Profile here<<

tomnik
Holset

09-06-2010, 01:15 PM #2
swap the injectors.
check timing.
check compression.

Further ideas: IP, hydros

Tom
tomnik
09-06-2010, 01:15 PM #2

swap the injectors.
check timing.
check compression.

Further ideas: IP, hydros

Tom

Einar
GT2256V

09-07-2010, 01:56 AM #3
The first one is running on far to high idle speed, the last one have the correct idle speed, but have exxcessive diesel-rattling. Service and injectors first.

The first is running normal, but no one of them is running very fine.
Einar
09-07-2010, 01:56 AM #3

The first one is running on far to high idle speed, the last one have the correct idle speed, but have exxcessive diesel-rattling. Service and injectors first.

The first is running normal, but no one of them is running very fine.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average