STD Tuning Engine Hi and question about 617 motor

Hi and question about 617 motor

Hi and question about 617 motor

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300GD
K26-2

08-21-2010, 01:25 PM #1
Hi everyone.

Im new to this forum but not new to diesels .I have also VW TDI.
Recently I became owner of G wagon 87’ 300GD with non turbo 617 motor and wanted to learn some more about those
legendary and bulletproof like they call them engines. I browsed thru forums but mostly You guys write about 617A those turbocharged engines.

In the future im thinking about doing swap for 617A but for now I would like to know what can I do in terms of good maintenance and what (I know not a whole lot) could be done to get maximum power out of this motor.
Appreciate any links and info.
Thanks J
300GD
08-21-2010, 01:25 PM #1

Hi everyone.

Im new to this forum but not new to diesels .I have also VW TDI.
Recently I became owner of G wagon 87’ 300GD with non turbo 617 motor and wanted to learn some more about those
legendary and bulletproof like they call them engines. I browsed thru forums but mostly You guys write about 617A those turbocharged engines.

In the future im thinking about doing swap for 617A but for now I would like to know what can I do in terms of good maintenance and what (I know not a whole lot) could be done to get maximum power out of this motor.
Appreciate any links and info.
Thanks J

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-21-2010, 03:01 PM #2
An 87 should be a 6-cylinder OM603.

Buy a factory service manual, change all the fluids to synthetic, delete the EGR if yours has one, adjust the valves, adjust the cam and injection timing and just generally get everything up to factory spec. Without a turbo that about as good as it can get.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/merc...t-214.html
This post was last modified: 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
08-21-2010, 03:01 PM #2

An 87 should be a 6-cylinder OM603.

Buy a factory service manual, change all the fluids to synthetic, delete the EGR if yours has one, adjust the valves, adjust the cam and injection timing and just generally get everything up to factory spec. Without a turbo that about as good as it can get.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/merc...t-214.html

300GD
K26-2

08-21-2010, 03:33 PM #3
Thanks for reply.

Mine has 617 non turbo motor 100% sure .No EGR to delete.

Just changed oil but not for synthetic i used 15w40 castrol diesel .

Ok next oil change will be synthetic . Whats other fluids in engine you mean ?
I know valves should be adjusted and know need special bent wrenches to do that .Dont know nothing about cam adjusting and inj pump timing.
Motor stars fine after 5 second of glow plug time and runs ok just need keep rpm on manual adjusting knob to 1000rpm otherwise will shake whenn does not get to full temperature.
Need also change air box (round pan attached to fender) it came with from Europe ,cant get filters here in Canada and thinking to go maybe K&N .Is it going to be much louder ?
300GD
08-21-2010, 03:33 PM #3

Thanks for reply.

Mine has 617 non turbo motor 100% sure .No EGR to delete.

Just changed oil but not for synthetic i used 15w40 castrol diesel .

Ok next oil change will be synthetic . Whats other fluids in engine you mean ?
I know valves should be adjusted and know need special bent wrenches to do that .Dont know nothing about cam adjusting and inj pump timing.
Motor stars fine after 5 second of glow plug time and runs ok just need keep rpm on manual adjusting knob to 1000rpm otherwise will shake whenn does not get to full temperature.
Need also change air box (round pan attached to fender) it came with from Europe ,cant get filters here in Canada and thinking to go maybe K&N .Is it going to be much louder ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average