STD Tuning Engine Turbo injectors

Turbo injectors

Turbo injectors

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SicNick
Unregistered

08-19-2010, 01:15 AM #1
Found a 300SD turbo diesel in the junkyard today. Might it's injectors
fit and be an upgrade to my newly turbo charged OM601? Searched around and there seemed to be mixed response to similar questions. Thanks

just to clarify motor is a 1984 MB 190D 2.2 factory NA now with a wastegated turbo off of a mitubishi mighty max 2.3 turbo diesel. I'm also using a top mount intercooler.
SicNick
08-19-2010, 01:15 AM #1

Found a 300SD turbo diesel in the junkyard today. Might it's injectors
fit and be an upgrade to my newly turbo charged OM601? Searched around and there seemed to be mixed response to similar questions. Thanks

just to clarify motor is a 1984 MB 190D 2.2 factory NA now with a wastegated turbo off of a mitubishi mighty max 2.3 turbo diesel. I'm also using a top mount intercooler.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

08-19-2010, 04:41 AM #2
Basically I think if you were to just change the injectors from the 603 you would be disappointed.

The Injectors are not the limiting factor with these IDi engines--they are not like the VW TDi type Di engines.

Personally, I would say that fit DNOSD265 (Bosch or Delphi) nozzles and re-set to the 'Turbo' pressure.

Also, re-set Point-Of-Injection around 5 degrees more advance to counter the longer and later delivery Time and Rate of the higher pressure setting...

How much have you adjusted the fuelling on the I.P?

--Also, and prolly more important--

The N/A engine is not up to much in the way of boost, the pistons, rods etc are 'weaker' than proper Turbo motor, Good you have IC, but better would be mounted up front--Gotta watch the thermal-loadings very carefully, as the N/A pistons are not designed for boost, and have no cast-in cooling galleries like the turbo pistons have....
--Limit the boost-pressure to around 8psi and watch carefully the EGT's!
This post was last modified: 08-19-2010, 04:45 AM by Alastair E.

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
08-19-2010, 04:41 AM #2

Basically I think if you were to just change the injectors from the 603 you would be disappointed.

The Injectors are not the limiting factor with these IDi engines--they are not like the VW TDi type Di engines.

Personally, I would say that fit DNOSD265 (Bosch or Delphi) nozzles and re-set to the 'Turbo' pressure.

Also, re-set Point-Of-Injection around 5 degrees more advance to counter the longer and later delivery Time and Rate of the higher pressure setting...

How much have you adjusted the fuelling on the I.P?

--Also, and prolly more important--

The N/A engine is not up to much in the way of boost, the pistons, rods etc are 'weaker' than proper Turbo motor, Good you have IC, but better would be mounted up front--Gotta watch the thermal-loadings very carefully, as the N/A pistons are not designed for boost, and have no cast-in cooling galleries like the turbo pistons have....
--Limit the boost-pressure to around 8psi and watch carefully the EGT's!

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-19-2010, 07:02 AM #3
The injectors would be a downgrade. The 265 nozzles in your engine are better than the 240/ nozzles in the 300SD.

Pictures of your engine please!
ForcedInduction
08-19-2010, 07:02 AM #3

The injectors would be a downgrade. The 265 nozzles in your engine are better than the 240/ nozzles in the 300SD.

Pictures of your engine please!

SicNick
Unregistered

08-19-2010, 10:03 AM #4
Thanks for the info! Egts haven't passed 550* pre turbocharger since turbo install, boost will hit 3 lbs with the stock fueling so far. So I think that the preliminary results are promising for this turbo supplying an appropriate amount of air and pressure once the wastegate is set at 7-8 lbs or so.

Here's one teaser for now....
[Image: IMG_7839.jpg]

So no doubt some IP tuning should be the next step, I'm a little hesitant to
advance timing since in my cummins that resulted in poorer cold starts. Thanks again for the replies!
SicNick
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM #4

Thanks for the info! Egts haven't passed 550* pre turbocharger since turbo install, boost will hit 3 lbs with the stock fueling so far. So I think that the preliminary results are promising for this turbo supplying an appropriate amount of air and pressure once the wastegate is set at 7-8 lbs or so.

Here's one teaser for now....
[Image: IMG_7839.jpg]

So no doubt some IP tuning should be the next step, I'm a little hesitant to
advance timing since in my cummins that resulted in poorer cold starts. Thanks again for the replies!

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

08-19-2010, 10:36 AM #5
Hmmm....

OM.601 aint no Cummins!--about as much like one as a Gasser!
--believe me, a timing advancement will Assist in starting when cold, we are talking only a few degrees anyway!....

How does your IC get cool airflow?--I would have thought that above a hot engine, it would not have cooled the air-charge--but rather, Heated it up!
--They used this idea on Peugeot, with some ducting, But--It Was CRAP--and that was with all the manufacturers rescorces designing the ducting to it!--They soon dropped it and fitted it up front in later cars...

Have you checked the IAT?

Alastair E
08-19-2010, 10:36 AM #5

Hmmm....

OM.601 aint no Cummins!--about as much like one as a Gasser!
--believe me, a timing advancement will Assist in starting when cold, we are talking only a few degrees anyway!....

How does your IC get cool airflow?--I would have thought that above a hot engine, it would not have cooled the air-charge--but rather, Heated it up!
--They used this idea on Peugeot, with some ducting, But--It Was CRAP--and that was with all the manufacturers rescorces designing the ducting to it!--They soon dropped it and fitted it up front in later cars...

Have you checked the IAT?

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-19-2010, 02:17 PM #6
(08-19-2010, 10:36 AM)Alastair E How does your IC get cool airflow?--I would have thought that above a hot engine, it would not have cooled the air-charge--but rather, Heated it up!

Its still very popular in Subaru.
ForcedInduction
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM #6

(08-19-2010, 10:36 AM)Alastair E How does your IC get cool airflow?--I would have thought that above a hot engine, it would not have cooled the air-charge--but rather, Heated it up!

Its still very popular in Subaru.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

08-19-2010, 02:36 PM #7
Aye, maybe--But with 'boxer' engines, there's more headroom for ducting!

By the look of the above installation, I'm guessing there's only an inch or so between IC and bonnet-lid. There is also no 'scoop' visible in the lid either!

Alastair E
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM #7

Aye, maybe--But with 'boxer' engines, there's more headroom for ducting!

By the look of the above installation, I'm guessing there's only an inch or so between IC and bonnet-lid. There is also no 'scoop' visible in the lid either!

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-19-2010, 02:41 PM #8
Looks to be a Samurai conversion.
ForcedInduction
08-19-2010, 02:41 PM #8

Looks to be a Samurai conversion.

meareweird
TA 0301

08-19-2010, 09:56 PM #9
I think we need more pics Big Grin
meareweird
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM #9

I think we need more pics Big Grin

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-20-2010, 12:39 AM #10
This guy is holdin out on us Dodgy

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
08-20-2010, 12:39 AM #10

This guy is holdin out on us Dodgy

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

SicNick
Unregistered

08-20-2010, 01:27 AM #11
Sharp eyes forced, and the top mount ntercooler seems to
be the style of choice for small turbo diesel 4x4s worldwide like the hilux, fortuner, etc.

It is a samurai, I have a some more pics to share, just had to test the waters a bit as I didn't want to get flamed for my unorthodox swapageTongue

The intercooler protrudes through the hood in full and will soon be topped with a nice big hood scoop. So it seems timing bump and fueling adjustment should
be my next priority Wink

IMG_0890.JPG
This post was last modified: 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM by SicNick.
SicNick
08-20-2010, 01:27 AM #11

Sharp eyes forced, and the top mount ntercooler seems to
be the style of choice for small turbo diesel 4x4s worldwide like the hilux, fortuner, etc.

It is a samurai, I have a some more pics to share, just had to test the waters a bit as I didn't want to get flamed for my unorthodox swapageTongue

The intercooler protrudes through the hood in full and will soon be topped with a nice big hood scoop. So it seems timing bump and fueling adjustment should
be my next priority Wink

IMG_0890.JPG

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average