STD Other Projects hey there

hey there

hey there

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

stan
Holset

08-10-2010, 01:23 AM #1
hello all!

i'm stan. stumbled on this forum randomly in my internet travels, just recently started lurking and figured i might as well join.

currently own a 1984 300D which has somewhere around 550,000 miles. that is, until it blew the head gasket a week ago. was driving to vegas, and on the way up the cajon pass it just gave out! i've owned it for 3 years, bought it for $500 and it's my favorite car of all time. the original owners dinged the poo out of the body, and i just recently spent a load of time repairing the bodywork to the best of my ability. lots of time spent in the junkyard getting little bits and bobs.

shopping around for a really nice clean 300D right now. but i just hate to send "blue thunder" off to the dump! haven't yet found a walkthrough on how to pull the turbo/mani off and remove the head, but i really want to give it a try before i condemn the whole chassis.

here's a photo of the beautiful blue benz:
[Image: 2010-04-02%2017.50.15.jpg]

after so much blood, sweat, and cursing it just feels wrong to be on the verge of parting ways. living at home with my mother prohibits keeping a non-running car around for much longer :-(

anyhow, nice to be here, looking forward to my time on this forum!
stan
08-10-2010, 01:23 AM #1

hello all!

i'm stan. stumbled on this forum randomly in my internet travels, just recently started lurking and figured i might as well join.

currently own a 1984 300D which has somewhere around 550,000 miles. that is, until it blew the head gasket a week ago. was driving to vegas, and on the way up the cajon pass it just gave out! i've owned it for 3 years, bought it for $500 and it's my favorite car of all time. the original owners dinged the poo out of the body, and i just recently spent a load of time repairing the bodywork to the best of my ability. lots of time spent in the junkyard getting little bits and bobs.

shopping around for a really nice clean 300D right now. but i just hate to send "blue thunder" off to the dump! haven't yet found a walkthrough on how to pull the turbo/mani off and remove the head, but i really want to give it a try before i condemn the whole chassis.

here's a photo of the beautiful blue benz:
[Image: 2010-04-02%2017.50.15.jpg]

after so much blood, sweat, and cursing it just feels wrong to be on the verge of parting ways. living at home with my mother prohibits keeping a non-running car around for much longer :-(

anyhow, nice to be here, looking forward to my time on this forum!

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-10-2010, 09:58 AM #2
Hey Stan!

First of all this should be in the car profiles section... Hopefully Winmutt can move it there for ya. Your local, Sweet! I'm in Riverside and drive/ride in to LA everyday. Whew, how was that Cajon? I think that would destroy my car too! Pulling the turbo and manifolds off really isn't hard, the head on the other hand I'm not sure about since I have not done one yet. But everything is right there so it cant be too bad.

If you need any help, lemme know!!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
08-10-2010, 09:58 AM #2

Hey Stan!

First of all this should be in the car profiles section... Hopefully Winmutt can move it there for ya. Your local, Sweet! I'm in Riverside and drive/ride in to LA everyday. Whew, how was that Cajon? I think that would destroy my car too! Pulling the turbo and manifolds off really isn't hard, the head on the other hand I'm not sure about since I have not done one yet. But everything is right there so it cant be too bad.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

08-10-2010, 11:51 AM #3
Hey Stan,

Other option and one I would choose is getting a new (used) motor. There should plenty of yards in your area that should have a motor ripe for picking. Or check in craigslist for running motors and parting out vehicles.

The car looks good, hope you save it.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM #3

Hey Stan,

Other option and one I would choose is getting a new (used) motor. There should plenty of yards in your area that should have a motor ripe for picking. Or check in craigslist for running motors and parting out vehicles.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

stan
Holset

08-10-2010, 11:56 AM #4
(08-10-2010, 11:51 AM)DeliveryValve Hey Stan,

the problem is that i have neither the space (living at home) nor the skill to do a full swap. otherwise i'd be all over that!
(08-10-2010, 09:58 AM)Captain America Hey Stan!

sorry if its in teh wrong section.

pulling the head off - i found someone's thread online but they started the thread with the turbo and intake mani already removed. its just getting to that point that is the issue currently!
This post was last modified: 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM by stan.
stan
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM #4

(08-10-2010, 11:51 AM)DeliveryValve Hey Stan,

the problem is that i have neither the space (living at home) nor the skill to do a full swap. otherwise i'd be all over that!
(08-10-2010, 09:58 AM)Captain America Hey Stan!

sorry if its in teh wrong section.

pulling the head off - i found someone's thread online but they started the thread with the turbo and intake mani already removed. its just getting to that point that is the issue currently!

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-11-2010, 09:59 AM #5
The manifolds and turbo removal are really the easy parts, just remove the manifold bolts and they both come off together..

Captain America
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM #5

The manifolds and turbo removal are really the easy parts, just remove the manifold bolts and they both come off together..

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average