STD Tuning Engine Diesel Pre Filter

Diesel Pre Filter

Diesel Pre Filter

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-08-2010, 03:38 PM #1
Is there any known specs of the pre filter?

I know you can buy them in packs and that's what I should do but I'd like to see if I can just make something up myself that has more filtering capacity and is still clear to see crap inside. There's some black goo junk plugging up my last two filters and but I don't have time to remove the 23 gallon tank to clean it out.

Any ideas?

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
07-08-2010, 03:38 PM #1

Is there any known specs of the pre filter?

I know you can buy them in packs and that's what I should do but I'd like to see if I can just make something up myself that has more filtering capacity and is still clear to see crap inside. There's some black goo junk plugging up my last two filters and but I don't have time to remove the 23 gallon tank to clean it out.

Any ideas?

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

07-08-2010, 04:23 PM #2
starbright satartron diesel additive

black goo yum!
This post was last modified: 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
07-08-2010, 04:23 PM #2

starbright satartron diesel additive

black goo yum!

rdirtycar
flash gordon

07-08-2010, 04:38 PM #3
I have a picture of a serviceable fuel screen in my car profile, "rdirtycar's 300D". It's got a much larger surface area than the stock fuel screen. It's oriented like one of the old sediment bowls so the stuff just settles to the bottom. The combination of these two features makes it not clog fast enough. I was very disappointed the first time I checked it. Because it wasn't clogged. I was looking forward to blowing all the crap out of the screen. I hear the need for clear plastic, but I'm very comfortable with this setup. Mercedessource.com

1983 light ivory/palomino 300d turbo
rdirtycar
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM #3

I have a picture of a serviceable fuel screen in my car profile, "rdirtycar's 300D". It's got a much larger surface area than the stock fuel screen. It's oriented like one of the old sediment bowls so the stuff just settles to the bottom. The combination of these two features makes it not clog fast enough. I was very disappointed the first time I checked it. Because it wasn't clogged. I was looking forward to blowing all the crap out of the screen. I hear the need for clear plastic, but I'm very comfortable with this setup. Mercedessource.com

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-08-2010, 05:38 PM #4
(07-08-2010, 04:38 PM)rdirtycar I have a picture of a serviceable fuel screen in my car profile, "rdirtycar's 300D". It's got a much larger surface area than the stock fuel screen. It's oriented like one of the old sediment bowls so the stuff just settles to the bottom. The combination of these two features makes it not clog fast enough. I was very disappointed the first time I checked it. Because it wasn't clogged. I was looking forward to blowing all the crap out of the screen. I hear the need for clear plastic, but I'm very comfortable with this setup. Mercedessource.com

Yeah man, I got the idea from the picture on your page and was just wondering if there was something out there that could be monitored without disassembly.

Anyone know what the filtration should be? like how many Micron?

Captain America
07-08-2010, 05:38 PM #4

(07-08-2010, 04:38 PM)rdirtycar I have a picture of a serviceable fuel screen in my car profile, "rdirtycar's 300D". It's got a much larger surface area than the stock fuel screen. It's oriented like one of the old sediment bowls so the stuff just settles to the bottom. The combination of these two features makes it not clog fast enough. I was very disappointed the first time I checked it. Because it wasn't clogged. I was looking forward to blowing all the crap out of the screen. I hear the need for clear plastic, but I'm very comfortable with this setup. Mercedessource.com

Yeah man, I got the idea from the picture on your page and was just wondering if there was something out there that could be monitored without disassembly.

Anyone know what the filtration should be? like how many Micron?

rdirtycar
flash gordon

07-08-2010, 08:32 PM #5
there's a napa fuel water separator that's at least 10 micron. It removes water, has a clear plastic sediment bowl with a drain cock like from a compressor. I swear by the water removal of this thing, black fuel tank chunks would just settle to the bottom and drain out with the water. Only drawback is it's about 10 inches high and you want a clear shot below the thing to drain it. I'll hunt the box down and get a number off it it you'd like. I bought it for the 300d but don't know where to put it on the chasis. I wouldn't be using my little cleanable fuel screen if I had more space.
This post was last modified: 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM by rdirtycar.

rdirtycar
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM #5

there's a napa fuel water separator that's at least 10 micron. It removes water, has a clear plastic sediment bowl with a drain cock like from a compressor. I swear by the water removal of this thing, black fuel tank chunks would just settle to the bottom and drain out with the water. Only drawback is it's about 10 inches high and you want a clear shot below the thing to drain it. I'll hunt the box down and get a number off it it you'd like. I bought it for the 300d but don't know where to put it on the chasis. I wouldn't be using my little cleanable fuel screen if I had more space.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-08-2010, 10:02 PM #6
I'm thinkin something between 25-75 microns would be sufficient to catch anything that would hurt the lift pump. I dunno if 10 would be too restrictive or not, It would have to be tested. That one your talking about Rdirtycar, sounds pretty good, being clear is definitely key.

Captain America
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM #6

I'm thinkin something between 25-75 microns would be sufficient to catch anything that would hurt the lift pump. I dunno if 10 would be too restrictive or not, It would have to be tested. That one your talking about Rdirtycar, sounds pretty good, being clear is definitely key.

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

07-09-2010, 12:28 AM #7
the "Vormax" filter aint cheap but I think it fits your requirements:

http://www.plantdrive.com/shop/product.p...254&page=1

it uses a 10 micron Racor filter, has a vacuum gauge that shows filter resistance (cloggedness) and has a clear water separator bowl.

10 microns seems fine - this is actually a commonly used filter system on WVO 617's. it flows well enough for the stock lift pump but you might want to add a pusher pump.
This post was last modified: 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM by Syncro_G.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
07-09-2010, 12:28 AM #7

the "Vormax" filter aint cheap but I think it fits your requirements:

http://www.plantdrive.com/shop/product.p...254&page=1

it uses a 10 micron Racor filter, has a vacuum gauge that shows filter resistance (cloggedness) and has a clear water separator bowl.

10 microns seems fine - this is actually a commonly used filter system on WVO 617's. it flows well enough for the stock lift pump but you might want to add a pusher pump.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-09-2010, 12:33 AM #8
Wow! that thing is insane! and expensive. thanks man, but I don't need something that hardcore haha. I'll probly just end up using a large gasser filter...

Captain America
07-09-2010, 12:33 AM #8

Wow! that thing is insane! and expensive. thanks man, but I don't need something that hardcore haha. I'll probly just end up using a large gasser filter...

Deni
GTA2056V

07-09-2010, 02:24 AM #9
You are not going to resolve your main problem, that is algae in your fuel tank, with a secondary filter.

You'll need to use additives to dissolve the algae, as eventually they will clog the tank's screening filter.

It happened to me and I got stranded, as the engine starved from fuel. I had to swap the fuel feeding line with the fuel return line just to get home and then to the mechanic.

The clogging was so bad that when the mechanic removed the tank drain plug, IIRC 22mm plug, with over half the tank full, the fuel would not flow from the tank because of the algae.

I had the tank drained, and used additive to dissolve the rest of the algae.

1992 Mercedes 190D 2.5 turbo 5sp manual. EGT+boost gauges. Boost controller set to ~14.5 psi. 1 1/4 turns on full load adjustment. LPG injection.

[Image: 3803751914_8fdca63138_o.jpg]
Deni
07-09-2010, 02:24 AM #9

You are not going to resolve your main problem, that is algae in your fuel tank, with a secondary filter.

You'll need to use additives to dissolve the algae, as eventually they will clog the tank's screening filter.

It happened to me and I got stranded, as the engine starved from fuel. I had to swap the fuel feeding line with the fuel return line just to get home and then to the mechanic.

The clogging was so bad that when the mechanic removed the tank drain plug, IIRC 22mm plug, with over half the tank full, the fuel would not flow from the tank because of the algae.

I had the tank drained, and used additive to dissolve the rest of the algae.

1992 Mercedes 190D 2.5 turbo 5sp manual. EGT+boost gauges. Boost controller set to ~14.5 psi. 1 1/4 turns on full load adjustment. LPG injection.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-09-2010, 09:50 AM #10
OOOo wow that is bad! Well looking at the filter while its all hooked up to the fuel lines it looked deathly black, but when I removed it, it was perfectly clear. There was a piece of a tree leaf in the filter along with, what looked like, beach sand. The particulate was a very light color. Maybe my problem isn't as bad as I thought, IDK.

A larger prefilter with more surface area and filtering capacity would still be a good thing to do.

Captain America
07-09-2010, 09:50 AM #10

OOOo wow that is bad! Well looking at the filter while its all hooked up to the fuel lines it looked deathly black, but when I removed it, it was perfectly clear. There was a piece of a tree leaf in the filter along with, what looked like, beach sand. The particulate was a very light color. Maybe my problem isn't as bad as I thought, IDK.

A larger prefilter with more surface area and filtering capacity would still be a good thing to do.

Deni
GTA2056V

07-09-2010, 10:10 AM #11
(07-09-2010, 09:50 AM)Captain America A larger prefilter with more surface area and filtering capacity would still be a good thing to do.

A large prefilter will not help if and when your tank screen filter gets clogged.

Deni
07-09-2010, 10:10 AM #11

(07-09-2010, 09:50 AM)Captain America A larger prefilter with more surface area and filtering capacity would still be a good thing to do.

A large prefilter will not help if and when your tank screen filter gets clogged.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-09-2010, 10:40 AM #12
Yeah you are right. but, the brief reading I've done says that when the algae or bacteria dies that it falls off the filter screen and travels down the line to the lift pump filter....

Guess that was not the case with you? you had a mechanic do the work right? So did you actually see what the screen looked like?

Captain America
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM #12

Yeah you are right. but, the brief reading I've done says that when the algae or bacteria dies that it falls off the filter screen and travels down the line to the lift pump filter....

Guess that was not the case with you? you had a mechanic do the work right? So did you actually see what the screen looked like?

rdirtycar
flash gordon

07-09-2010, 05:25 PM #13
my fuel tank screen is in need of a blowing out with some compressed air. I have the oversized fuel tank screen on the way. A few months ago I had the fuel tank out and rolling it around with gasoline and finally a good strong stream of water. I still have the black goo. I put more than two hundred miles on each week and the black sludge that still cam out after the gasoline cleanse of the tank is still there but not a problem in the second fuel screen anymore but like I said I have to check the tank screen next weekend when I do the transmission and underbody fuel lines.

the napa water separator's filter is about the size of the 617 oil filter and the housing and everything is $75. the inlet and outlet are 1" tapered thread female. it's for a box truck like vehicle.

Like many of us have seen, marvel mystery oil cleans the fuel tank well enough to clog filters in a few days. I've been using it in the fuel in hopes of disolving what gasoline can't.
This post was last modified: 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM by rdirtycar.

rdirtycar
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM #13

my fuel tank screen is in need of a blowing out with some compressed air. I have the oversized fuel tank screen on the way. A few months ago I had the fuel tank out and rolling it around with gasoline and finally a good strong stream of water. I still have the black goo. I put more than two hundred miles on each week and the black sludge that still cam out after the gasoline cleanse of the tank is still there but not a problem in the second fuel screen anymore but like I said I have to check the tank screen next weekend when I do the transmission and underbody fuel lines.

the napa water separator's filter is about the size of the 617 oil filter and the housing and everything is $75. the inlet and outlet are 1" tapered thread female. it's for a box truck like vehicle.

Like many of us have seen, marvel mystery oil cleans the fuel tank well enough to clog filters in a few days. I've been using it in the fuel in hopes of disolving what gasoline can't.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

07-09-2010, 05:52 PM #14
I had the same problem on a 300sd but I used some of that startron that turns the algae in to a Ctain booster

willbhere4u
07-09-2010, 05:52 PM #14

I had the same problem on a 300sd but I used some of that startron that turns the algae in to a Ctain booster

ForcedInduction
Banned

07-10-2010, 03:52 PM #15
The primary is somewhere around 30-50micron and the secondary is 10micron. A lot of us have been modifying the filter base to take a 2micron filter though.
ForcedInduction
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM #15

The primary is somewhere around 30-50micron and the secondary is 10micron. A lot of us have been modifying the filter base to take a 2micron filter though.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

07-11-2010, 05:49 AM #16
(07-10-2010, 03:52 PM)ForcedInduction The primary is somewhere around 30-50micron and the secondary is 10micron. A lot of us have been modifying the filter base to take a 2micron filter though.

Cool. That's the info I was looking for on the pre filter.

Captain America
07-11-2010, 05:49 AM #16

(07-10-2010, 03:52 PM)ForcedInduction The primary is somewhere around 30-50micron and the secondary is 10micron. A lot of us have been modifying the filter base to take a 2micron filter though.

Cool. That's the info I was looking for on the pre filter.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average