STD Tuning Engine so, I got a quote from a local diesel pump rebuilder...

so, I got a quote from a local diesel pump rebuilder...

so, I got a quote from a local diesel pump rebuilder...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

McAdam
K26-2

06-22-2010, 12:53 PM #1
I called them up and told them what I wanted (installing 7.5mm elements in a bosch MW pump off of a OM606 turbo) and they quoted me right around $1000 if I supply the elements.

that would include tear down, installation of larger elements, new gaskets and such, and re-assembly and balancing of flow rates on a test bench.

Good deal?
McAdam
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM #1

I called them up and told them what I wanted (installing 7.5mm elements in a bosch MW pump off of a OM606 turbo) and they quoted me right around $1000 if I supply the elements.

that would include tear down, installation of larger elements, new gaskets and such, and re-assembly and balancing of flow rates on a test bench.

Good deal?

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-22-2010, 01:37 PM #2
Yes, except the 606 is an M pump and they will be guessing how to set it correctly with non-factory elements.
ForcedInduction
06-22-2010, 01:37 PM #2

Yes, except the 606 is an M pump and they will be guessing how to set it correctly with non-factory elements.

McAdam
K26-2

06-22-2010, 01:41 PM #3
I think they can get the job done. this is thier website and they have been around for YEARS.

http://www.midlanddiesel.com/
McAdam
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM #3

I think they can get the job done. this is thier website and they have been around for YEARS.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

06-22-2010, 02:24 PM #4
(06-22-2010, 01:41 PM)McAdam I think they can get the job done. this is thier website and they have been around for YEARS.

Yes, BUT-

They have been rebuilding to Standard Settings For Years!

The OM.606 has Electronic pump, and therefore is much more difficult for the 'user' or rebuild place to alter, and you'll need to replace or re-program the ECU to suit the pump, and as Maps suitable for the 7.5 elements are Not available for the OM.606, I doubt the engine would satisfy if you just dump elements in there!
--I suspect it would smoke like hell, and prolly cause itself some damage....

--What you are doing is making a Completely NON Standard part, and expecting the Computer,--that thinks its controlling a standard part--to control it correctly--Which of course, It Wont.....!

The ONLY place in the States that has experience of the M7.5 Floyd Elements and how to deal with 'em is DervTuning on this Forum as far as I know....

All other Research has been done in Germany and in Finland.

Why do you think the 'Experts', (The Finns) modify the Mechanical M pumps from 603 and retrofit That to the 606, rather than mess with the electronic stuff from a 606. BTW, I believe the 606 has 6.5mm elements anyway.....
--The answer is because the Mechanical pumps can be modified without the need for a Full Bosch Research Department, (Prolly not available outside Germany) and all the Software to mod up the ECU, to suit the new fuel delivery!!

BTW, a grand is bloody expensive if you ask me if You are supplying the elements!

Best bet for you is to dump the electronic pump and all the electronic crap that goes with it, grab one off a OM.603, and mod That up at DervTuning, add a throttle-cable and go fully mechanical

However, if you have an Auto Trans, (As in W210 car) That is another issue, It will not like to see No Engine ECU connected, so you'll have to set up summit for that or change to an earlier mechanical controlled trans.....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, It aint just as simple as changing a few shiny parts! Its MUCH more involved than that!

At the point we are presently, The M75 Floyd elements are in the 'Beta' testing stage, (This is all still trial and error tuning)and this is on Mechanical pumps. I dont think there have been any electronic types modded using them....

Have a chat with DervTuning, He will be able to advise, and he is a friendly and enthusiastic guy, based in USA.....

Might be better for you to have the car 'Chipped' rather than mess with the pump, All according to what level you want to tune it.....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
06-22-2010, 02:24 PM #4

(06-22-2010, 01:41 PM)McAdam I think they can get the job done. this is thier website and they have been around for YEARS.

Yes, BUT-

They have been rebuilding to Standard Settings For Years!

The OM.606 has Electronic pump, and therefore is much more difficult for the 'user' or rebuild place to alter, and you'll need to replace or re-program the ECU to suit the pump, and as Maps suitable for the 7.5 elements are Not available for the OM.606, I doubt the engine would satisfy if you just dump elements in there!
--I suspect it would smoke like hell, and prolly cause itself some damage....

--What you are doing is making a Completely NON Standard part, and expecting the Computer,--that thinks its controlling a standard part--to control it correctly--Which of course, It Wont.....!

The ONLY place in the States that has experience of the M7.5 Floyd Elements and how to deal with 'em is DervTuning on this Forum as far as I know....

All other Research has been done in Germany and in Finland.

Why do you think the 'Experts', (The Finns) modify the Mechanical M pumps from 603 and retrofit That to the 606, rather than mess with the electronic stuff from a 606. BTW, I believe the 606 has 6.5mm elements anyway.....
--The answer is because the Mechanical pumps can be modified without the need for a Full Bosch Research Department, (Prolly not available outside Germany) and all the Software to mod up the ECU, to suit the new fuel delivery!!

BTW, a grand is bloody expensive if you ask me if You are supplying the elements!

Best bet for you is to dump the electronic pump and all the electronic crap that goes with it, grab one off a OM.603, and mod That up at DervTuning, add a throttle-cable and go fully mechanical

However, if you have an Auto Trans, (As in W210 car) That is another issue, It will not like to see No Engine ECU connected, so you'll have to set up summit for that or change to an earlier mechanical controlled trans.....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, It aint just as simple as changing a few shiny parts! Its MUCH more involved than that!

At the point we are presently, The M75 Floyd elements are in the 'Beta' testing stage, (This is all still trial and error tuning)and this is on Mechanical pumps. I dont think there have been any electronic types modded using them....

Have a chat with DervTuning, He will be able to advise, and he is a friendly and enthusiastic guy, based in USA.....

Might be better for you to have the car 'Chipped' rather than mess with the pump, All according to what level you want to tune it.....

McAdam
K26-2

06-22-2010, 02:44 PM #5
oh, the engine wont even be going in another mercedes, let alone a stock E class. I plan on installing it in my 1980 datsun 280ZX and using an adapter plate to hang a nissan FS5R30A off the rear (.711 OD) and I plan on running megasquirt to control the rack position and a few other things ( a holset HE351VE being one of them.)
McAdam
06-22-2010, 02:44 PM #5

oh, the engine wont even be going in another mercedes, let alone a stock E class. I plan on installing it in my 1980 datsun 280ZX and using an adapter plate to hang a nissan FS5R30A off the rear (.711 OD) and I plan on running megasquirt to control the rack position and a few other things ( a holset HE351VE being one of them.)

tomnik
Holset

06-22-2010, 03:18 PM #6
contact DervTuning.
He is also in progress of messing with the electronic 606 IP.
Original elements seize in a 606 turbo IP is 6mm.

Tom
tomnik
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM #6

contact DervTuning.
He is also in progress of messing with the electronic 606 IP.
Original elements seize in a 606 turbo IP is 6mm.

Tom

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

06-23-2010, 11:54 AM #7
Not sure its possible to use 'Megasquirt' to control Rack Actuator.....

Megasquirt is designed to operate injectors directly on an EFI, rather than to PWM a sprung return solenoid type device....

Does megasquirt have any 'Governor' function?? This will be important, at least for idling if nothing else.....

Ive posted a question about this on their Forum, maybe some info will come from that....

Alastair E
06-23-2010, 11:54 AM #7

Not sure its possible to use 'Megasquirt' to control Rack Actuator.....

Megasquirt is designed to operate injectors directly on an EFI, rather than to PWM a sprung return solenoid type device....

Does megasquirt have any 'Governor' function?? This will be important, at least for idling if nothing else.....

Ive posted a question about this on their Forum, maybe some info will come from that....

McAdam
K26-2

06-23-2010, 02:05 PM #8
well, megasquirt will drive the injectors with PWM as opposed to peak and hold. so, it would only be a matter of modifying the code. also, you can run boost control with megasquirt using a PWM solenoid, and MS can also be used to control the idle via a PWM idle air control valve and an RPM feedback to maintain a proper idle RPM and even step it up when things like AC kick on.

it definately has the capability to do whatever needs to be done with a diesel engine, its all a matter of modifing the code and getting a proper RPM signal , which shouldnt be hard with a trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley.
McAdam
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM #8

well, megasquirt will drive the injectors with PWM as opposed to peak and hold. so, it would only be a matter of modifying the code. also, you can run boost control with megasquirt using a PWM solenoid, and MS can also be used to control the idle via a PWM idle air control valve and an RPM feedback to maintain a proper idle RPM and even step it up when things like AC kick on.

it definately has the capability to do whatever needs to be done with a diesel engine, its all a matter of modifing the code and getting a proper RPM signal , which shouldnt be hard with a trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average