STD Maintenance General W126 Alternator brain cramp.

W126 Alternator brain cramp.

W126 Alternator brain cramp.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MadMaxW126
back from the dead.

06-17-2010, 01:35 PM #1
0M617 W126... I must be blind and/or retarded. Hows does one adjust belt tension/remove/move the alternator? The bolts look like shit and have been soaking in PB blaster for a week. Pics would help. Everything else I've figured out on here and without a service manual.... but now I'm stuck. THANKS!!!!
MadMaxW126
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM #1

0M617 W126... I must be blind and/or retarded. Hows does one adjust belt tension/remove/move the alternator? The bolts look like shit and have been soaking in PB blaster for a week. Pics would help. Everything else I've figured out on here and without a service manual.... but now I'm stuck. THANKS!!!!

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-17-2010, 04:31 PM #2
Loosen the two 17mm bolts and turn the adjusting bolt on the side.
ForcedInduction
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM #2

Loosen the two 17mm bolts and turn the adjusting bolt on the side.

MadMaxW126
back from the dead.

06-19-2010, 08:17 AM #3
The adjusting stud thingy, right? ya.... I saw that. It's not attached to anything. And the 2 17mm bolts/nuts are pretty damn well in there and the heads are pretty fucked up... I changed the water pump out and just took the pulley off of it and whacked it with a hammer a couple of times to get it off cuz to get the belts off cuz the alternator wouldn't move. Looks like I may have to make something else for it then and figure out if the previous previous owner did something stupid with the bolts.
MadMaxW126
06-19-2010, 08:17 AM #3

The adjusting stud thingy, right? ya.... I saw that. It's not attached to anything. And the 2 17mm bolts/nuts are pretty damn well in there and the heads are pretty fucked up... I changed the water pump out and just took the pulley off of it and whacked it with a hammer a couple of times to get it off cuz to get the belts off cuz the alternator wouldn't move. Looks like I may have to make something else for it then and figure out if the previous previous owner did something stupid with the bolts.

Tymbrymi
Klatta Klatta

06-21-2010, 09:00 AM #4
(06-19-2010, 08:17 AM)MadMaxW126 The adjusting stud thingy, right? ya.... I saw that. It's not attached to anything. And the 2 17mm bolts/nuts are pretty damn well in there and the heads are pretty fucked up... I changed the water pump out and just took the pulley off of it and whacked it with a hammer a couple of times to get it off cuz to get the belts off cuz the alternator wouldn't move. Looks like I may have to make something else for it then and figure out if the previous previous owner did something stupid with the bolts.

This is where a picture is worth 1,000 words. It's really difficult to describe how this setup is supposed to work, and that stupid bolt is like $30 (it was $15 six years ago). I'll try and remember to take a picture of it sometime and post it here.

John Robbins
'05 E320 CDI - 118k - Faaaaaast!! Angel
'87 300TD - 317k - Cracked head... but an OM606 is on the way! Undecided
'79 300SD - 295k - Bad engine = project car!
Tymbrymi
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM #4

(06-19-2010, 08:17 AM)MadMaxW126 The adjusting stud thingy, right? ya.... I saw that. It's not attached to anything. And the 2 17mm bolts/nuts are pretty damn well in there and the heads are pretty fucked up... I changed the water pump out and just took the pulley off of it and whacked it with a hammer a couple of times to get it off cuz to get the belts off cuz the alternator wouldn't move. Looks like I may have to make something else for it then and figure out if the previous previous owner did something stupid with the bolts.

This is where a picture is worth 1,000 words. It's really difficult to describe how this setup is supposed to work, and that stupid bolt is like $30 (it was $15 six years ago). I'll try and remember to take a picture of it sometime and post it here.

John Robbins
'05 E320 CDI - 118k - Faaaaaast!! Angel
'87 300TD - 317k - Cracked head... but an OM606 is on the way! Undecided
'79 300SD - 295k - Bad engine = project car!

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-21-2010, 09:42 AM #5
Maybe this will help?
Attached Files
Image(s)

ForcedInduction
06-21-2010, 09:42 AM #5

Maybe this will help?

Attached Files
Image(s)

MadMaxW126
back from the dead.

06-21-2010, 11:10 AM #6
the pictures help out quite a bit, thanks! that slide that the adjusting stud goes into is gone. my guess is that they couldnt get it to work anymore, pried the hell out of the alternator and torqued it down with an impact fucking up the head of the bolt. i haven't been able to get it loose with my 1/2" breaker bar beacuse i can't get a good enough grip on it.

so if my understanding is right, there is a pivot bolt on the bottom, the hold down bolt on the slider and then that stud/slider assembly just adjusts the tension before you bolt it down. fantastic. i have to figure out what the hell they did amd possibly just cut the damn bolt off.
MadMaxW126
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM #6

the pictures help out quite a bit, thanks! that slide that the adjusting stud goes into is gone. my guess is that they couldnt get it to work anymore, pried the hell out of the alternator and torqued it down with an impact fucking up the head of the bolt. i haven't been able to get it loose with my 1/2" breaker bar beacuse i can't get a good enough grip on it.

so if my understanding is right, there is a pivot bolt on the bottom, the hold down bolt on the slider and then that stud/slider assembly just adjusts the tension before you bolt it down. fantastic. i have to figure out what the hell they did amd possibly just cut the damn bolt off.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average