STD Tuning Engine New Guy here, saying "Hello".

New Guy here, saying "Hello".

New Guy here, saying "Hello".

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SteveM
Naturally-aspirated

04-02-2008, 01:51 PM #1
Hello,
What a great new site. I just joined yesterday. I've been "into" MB diesels for several years now, and have lately been focused on a couple of 190D 2.5 Turbodiesels that I own. I go by Jetmugg on some of the other MB forums.

One of my desires is to build a land-speed-record car based on a W201 with an MB turbodiesel engine. I currently have 2 OM602 turbos which I am interested in learning about how to increase the power levels. I know a small amount and have seen what the Finns are capable of, but I have very much still to learn.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello for now, and thanks for providing this forum.

SteveM.
SteveM
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM #1

Hello,
What a great new site. I just joined yesterday. I've been "into" MB diesels for several years now, and have lately been focused on a couple of 190D 2.5 Turbodiesels that I own. I go by Jetmugg on some of the other MB forums.

One of my desires is to build a land-speed-record car based on a W201 with an MB turbodiesel engine. I currently have 2 OM602 turbos which I am interested in learning about how to increase the power levels. I know a small amount and have seen what the Finns are capable of, but I have very much still to learn.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello for now, and thanks for providing this forum.

SteveM.

winmutt
bitbanger

04-02-2008, 01:59 PM #2
Welcome.

Land speed records eg? Thats a bit much even for this forum Smile Speed is all about how much money you have Smile.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM #2

Welcome.

Land speed records eg? Thats a bit much even for this forum Smile Speed is all about how much money you have Smile.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

SteveM
Naturally-aspirated

04-02-2008, 02:54 PM #3
Not looking for an absolute LSR, just to compete in an appropriate class. For an MB turbodiesel, that would most likely be the Production Supercharged Class.

It's been a lifelong dream for me to go LSR racing. Since I'm just about to turn 40 years old, I figure it's time to start living out my dreams.

SteveM.
SteveM
04-02-2008, 02:54 PM #3

Not looking for an absolute LSR, just to compete in an appropriate class. For an MB turbodiesel, that would most likely be the Production Supercharged Class.

It's been a lifelong dream for me to go LSR racing. Since I'm just about to turn 40 years old, I figure it's time to start living out my dreams.

SteveM.

HughF_UK
GT2256V

04-03-2008, 07:32 AM #4
Steve, are you in the UK? I have a feeling I might have seen you post on another forum about superturbo 190's a while back?

Hugh... Dorset...
HughF_UK
04-03-2008, 07:32 AM #4

Steve, are you in the UK? I have a feeling I might have seen you post on another forum about superturbo 190's a while back?

Hugh... Dorset...

SteveM
Naturally-aspirated

04-03-2008, 09:58 AM #5
Hugh:
I'm in the USA. However, I have been "into" MB diesels for 5-6 years, and have had had 2 W116 300SD's, and a total of 5 W201's. I currently own 3 W201's in various states of disrepair. I have converted 2 W201 2.5 Turbos into 5-speed manual transmissions, and will be doing a 3rd one soon. Next up will be some engine/turbo/intercooler modifications.
You very well may have seen me posting on another MB diesel related forum. I am quite interested in them, and keep trying to learn more every day. I have read some of your posts as well, and can tell that you are a like-minded individual when it comes to MB diesel performance.

SteveM.
SteveM
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM #5

Hugh:
I'm in the USA. However, I have been "into" MB diesels for 5-6 years, and have had had 2 W116 300SD's, and a total of 5 W201's. I currently own 3 W201's in various states of disrepair. I have converted 2 W201 2.5 Turbos into 5-speed manual transmissions, and will be doing a 3rd one soon. Next up will be some engine/turbo/intercooler modifications.
You very well may have seen me posting on another MB diesel related forum. I am quite interested in them, and keep trying to learn more every day. I have read some of your posts as well, and can tell that you are a like-minded individual when it comes to MB diesel performance.

SteveM.

re-evaluating
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2008, 07:37 AM #6
Hi another new guy here thought I would tag along with Steve in saying hello. Unlike Steve I am new to Mercedes diesel altogether and still looking for my first one. I have been on the hunt for the right car for the last several months just doing my homework before I buy. I am not new to diesel I own a 96 Cummins Dodge with over 400K miles and makes 850 tq which has been my tow beast. My background has been in racing Turbo Buick's (Mid 9 second 1/4 mile @ 140 plus out of a 4.1l. V-6 in a 3600 lb car) so I am very interested in turning up what ever I drive.

All this being said not to impress anyone (too old for that) just to say thanks for a place to hang out with other performance minded guys and learn how to improve the performance of my next car.

Thanks Dave
re-evaluating
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM #6

Hi another new guy here thought I would tag along with Steve in saying hello. Unlike Steve I am new to Mercedes diesel altogether and still looking for my first one. I have been on the hunt for the right car for the last several months just doing my homework before I buy. I am not new to diesel I own a 96 Cummins Dodge with over 400K miles and makes 850 tq which has been my tow beast. My background has been in racing Turbo Buick's (Mid 9 second 1/4 mile @ 140 plus out of a 4.1l. V-6 in a 3600 lb car) so I am very interested in turning up what ever I drive.

All this being said not to impress anyone (too old for that) just to say thanks for a place to hang out with other performance minded guys and learn how to improve the performance of my next car.

Thanks Dave

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

04-09-2008, 09:59 AM #7
Welcome! I hope you are not too disappointed when you learn that most of us consider 9 seconds a good 0-60 time for these cars. :lol:
bgkast
04-09-2008, 09:59 AM #7

Welcome! I hope you are not too disappointed when you learn that most of us consider 9 seconds a good 0-60 time for these cars. :lol:

re-evaluating
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2008, 12:58 PM #8
Thank you for the welcome.. Yes I am learning which cars to stay away from. I don't expect any MB diesel to replace the Buick, however at first the Dodge diesel was a complete turd. A few simple mods later and it is a different story. Hopefully there are some mods to bring the MB to life as well. I am still trying to figure out which car I will buy, I love the lines of the DS/DSL's but I may be happier with an 87 190d with the 2.5 turbo in it. That was one of the reasons I replied to StevenM's post to start with, hoping he may jump in and give me his take on the 190's. I don't have any interest in a manual trans in one but like the idea potential for being quicker (lighter). I just hate to loose the comfort factor of the big car, I have heard it said it is like driving an american car as opposed to a European sedan. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Dave
bgkast Welcome! I hope you are not too disappointed when you learn that most of us consider 9 seconds a good 0-60 time for these cars. :lol:
re-evaluating
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM #8

Thank you for the welcome.. Yes I am learning which cars to stay away from. I don't expect any MB diesel to replace the Buick, however at first the Dodge diesel was a complete turd. A few simple mods later and it is a different story. Hopefully there are some mods to bring the MB to life as well. I am still trying to figure out which car I will buy, I love the lines of the DS/DSL's but I may be happier with an 87 190d with the 2.5 turbo in it. That was one of the reasons I replied to StevenM's post to start with, hoping he may jump in and give me his take on the 190's. I don't have any interest in a manual trans in one but like the idea potential for being quicker (lighter). I just hate to loose the comfort factor of the big car, I have heard it said it is like driving an american car as opposed to a European sedan. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Dave

bgkast Welcome! I hope you are not too disappointed when you learn that most of us consider 9 seconds a good 0-60 time for these cars. :lol:

HoleshotHolset
Holset

04-09-2008, 01:31 PM #9
re-evaluating My background has been in racing Turbo Buick's (Mid 9 second 1/4 mile @ 140 plus out of a 4.1l. V-6 in a 3600 lb car) so I am very interested in turning up what ever I drive.

Where you from, Dave?
I used to live in MA and spent many hours turning wrenches on turbo G-bodys and their evil cousins - the GMC Syclone and Typhoon. Eric Rankin is an acquaintance of mine and I used to like watching his car run 8's at New England Dragway. I haven't seen him in probably close to 5 years now - I hope he's still into the turbo Buicks. I remember going 11's as a passenger in a turbo T-Type with a Stage engine at NED just before the rain came - the good old days. 8-)

I have lots of love for turbo gassers, but my passion definitely lies in diesels.

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)
'99 W210.025 - gone, but not forgotten
'94 Dodge/Cummins - gone, but not forgotten
HoleshotHolset
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM #9

re-evaluating My background has been in racing Turbo Buick's (Mid 9 second 1/4 mile @ 140 plus out of a 4.1l. V-6 in a 3600 lb car) so I am very interested in turning up what ever I drive.

Where you from, Dave?
I used to live in MA and spent many hours turning wrenches on turbo G-bodys and their evil cousins - the GMC Syclone and Typhoon. Eric Rankin is an acquaintance of mine and I used to like watching his car run 8's at New England Dragway. I haven't seen him in probably close to 5 years now - I hope he's still into the turbo Buicks. I remember going 11's as a passenger in a turbo T-Type with a Stage engine at NED just before the rain came - the good old days. 8-)

I have lots of love for turbo gassers, but my passion definitely lies in diesels.

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)

re-evaluating
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2008, 01:50 PM #10
Matt nice to meet you.
I am from Ohio originally and have recently moved to Louisville KY area. I've know Eric for years I haven't seen him in quite a while I know he isn't spending a lot of time in the Buick world anymore. I have been involved with Buicks since 1991 or so and eventually it burns you out and that may be the case with Eric. I know I saw Eric on Turbobuick dot com a while back selling some stuff his handle was tiredaylightat330 or something like that. His car was full stage II just bad fast big tire car he earned the tire daylight at 330 handle. My car is still a heavy stock suspension 10" tire car with full exhaust and leather interior, 70 turbo stock block that sounds like stock and looks like grandpa's car type.

How about yourself where are you from?

Later Dave

HoleshotHolset

Where you from, Dave?

Cheers,

Matt
re-evaluating
04-09-2008, 01:50 PM #10

Matt nice to meet you.
I am from Ohio originally and have recently moved to Louisville KY area. I've know Eric for years I haven't seen him in quite a while I know he isn't spending a lot of time in the Buick world anymore. I have been involved with Buicks since 1991 or so and eventually it burns you out and that may be the case with Eric. I know I saw Eric on Turbobuick dot com a while back selling some stuff his handle was tiredaylightat330 or something like that. His car was full stage II just bad fast big tire car he earned the tire daylight at 330 handle. My car is still a heavy stock suspension 10" tire car with full exhaust and leather interior, 70 turbo stock block that sounds like stock and looks like grandpa's car type.

How about yourself where are you from?

Later Dave

HoleshotHolset

Where you from, Dave?

Cheers,

Matt

HoleshotHolset
Holset

04-09-2008, 03:02 PM #11
It's a small world. Smile

I figured you'd know Eric. That's too bad that he's getting out of it...but I can totally see how he might be burned out. He's worked on 4 or 5 Buicks and/or GMC's that my friends have owned over the years. Great guy too - we used to visit him, his wife and kids in East Hartford. I remember watching some very old videos at his place on VHS put together at some of the first turbo Buick national events that were held in your neck of the woods. Everyone was wearing fluorescent clothes and the women all had big hair. Good times. His wife used to daily drive some of his customer's 9-second cars to put break-in miles on them and help get the tuning squared away. 8-)

The first time I met him was at NED in the fall of '98 - after his car ran an 8-second pass and carried the wheelie out quite a ways. I was taking video at the starting line for a school project and nearly crapped my pants when this sort of ragged looking flat black g-body took off like a rifle round. Confusedhock: He ran a very large turbo on that car and I know at one point he was running heads that had two spark plugs per cylinder.

I like the sounds of your car - that's one of my favorite things about the turbo GM's...docile, plain and quiet as all getout until you get on the skinny pedal...then LOOKOUT once the boost builds. It's very, very addictive.

I spent most of my life in MA, but I moved out here to WI 5 years ago for a promotion/change of scenery and now I have no intentions of ever leaving. I'm building a Jeep with a 3.9L Cummins common-rail turbo diesel and an Allison 5-speed automatic. Other than that, the '94 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 12-valve/P7100 Cummins, two VW TDIs and an air-cooled Deutz diesel farm tractor keep me surrounded by diesels pretty much all the time. I love it. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM #11

It's a small world. Smile

I figured you'd know Eric. That's too bad that he's getting out of it...but I can totally see how he might be burned out. He's worked on 4 or 5 Buicks and/or GMC's that my friends have owned over the years. Great guy too - we used to visit him, his wife and kids in East Hartford. I remember watching some very old videos at his place on VHS put together at some of the first turbo Buick national events that were held in your neck of the woods. Everyone was wearing fluorescent clothes and the women all had big hair. Good times. His wife used to daily drive some of his customer's 9-second cars to put break-in miles on them and help get the tuning squared away. 8-)

The first time I met him was at NED in the fall of '98 - after his car ran an 8-second pass and carried the wheelie out quite a ways. I was taking video at the starting line for a school project and nearly crapped my pants when this sort of ragged looking flat black g-body took off like a rifle round. Confusedhock: He ran a very large turbo on that car and I know at one point he was running heads that had two spark plugs per cylinder.

I like the sounds of your car - that's one of my favorite things about the turbo GM's...docile, plain and quiet as all getout until you get on the skinny pedal...then LOOKOUT once the boost builds. It's very, very addictive.

I spent most of my life in MA, but I moved out here to WI 5 years ago for a promotion/change of scenery and now I have no intentions of ever leaving. I'm building a Jeep with a 3.9L Cummins common-rail turbo diesel and an Allison 5-speed automatic. Other than that, the '94 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 12-valve/P7100 Cummins, two VW TDIs and an air-cooled Deutz diesel farm tractor keep me surrounded by diesels pretty much all the time. I love it. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642

SteveM
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2008, 03:02 PM #12
The W201's are finely engineered cars, but they are small with respect to interior dimensions. The back seats are best suited for children or rather small adults (i.e. about 100 pounds). That being said, I think that the W201's are the most "sporty" of all the MB models, and the 2.5 Turbo engine has plenty of power. With the 5-speed conversions, I have been able to achieve a legitimate 40 mpg during relaxed highway cruising. (No hotrodding, passing on hills, etc).

For my money, I like the improved handling and "modern-ness" of the W201 body style as compared to the W116's that I formerly owned or W123's that I have ridden in. The W201 just feels much more modern to me.

My 2 cents,

SteveM.
SteveM
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM #12

The W201's are finely engineered cars, but they are small with respect to interior dimensions. The back seats are best suited for children or rather small adults (i.e. about 100 pounds). That being said, I think that the W201's are the most "sporty" of all the MB models, and the 2.5 Turbo engine has plenty of power. With the 5-speed conversions, I have been able to achieve a legitimate 40 mpg during relaxed highway cruising. (No hotrodding, passing on hills, etc).

For my money, I like the improved handling and "modern-ness" of the W201 body style as compared to the W116's that I formerly owned or W123's that I have ridden in. The W201 just feels much more modern to me.

My 2 cents,

SteveM.

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

04-09-2008, 06:37 PM #13
You could try a W124
bgkast
04-09-2008, 06:37 PM #13

You could try a W124

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average