STD Other Open Newbie!

Newbie!

Newbie!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Serpent7
Unregistered

06-05-2010, 09:13 PM #1
I'm the new guy in town. I just picked up and 84 MB 300TD Turbo diesel with 252000 miles and it runs like a dream. The interior is spotless except for the dash thats all cracked up. The outside needs a little TLC. It has two sizable dents in both doors on the right side and it needs a front windshield and a small dent near the rear light that has already been partly fixed and the AC compressor was making strange loud noises when I plugged it up so I unplugged it until I have time and a place to work on it. I have a source for the doors (both used for $40 a piece). I purchased the car just because I have always wanted a turbo diesel, but I dont know much about MB or diesels at all. I have been modifying VW and BMW gas motors, but I have no experience with diesels. Now the tricky part is my wife dosent know I bought it yet and I cant bring it home to work on it yet (in storage) so I havent had time to really get familiar with it or even really go through it.

Wanted to know if the car is good to keep, what maintenance should I get started on doing now, what small upgrades are nice for this car, how hard is it to replace the AC compressor and how expensive are they to purchase, If I do sell it what should I sell it for?
Serpent7
06-05-2010, 09:13 PM #1

I'm the new guy in town. I just picked up and 84 MB 300TD Turbo diesel with 252000 miles and it runs like a dream. The interior is spotless except for the dash thats all cracked up. The outside needs a little TLC. It has two sizable dents in both doors on the right side and it needs a front windshield and a small dent near the rear light that has already been partly fixed and the AC compressor was making strange loud noises when I plugged it up so I unplugged it until I have time and a place to work on it. I have a source for the doors (both used for $40 a piece). I purchased the car just because I have always wanted a turbo diesel, but I dont know much about MB or diesels at all. I have been modifying VW and BMW gas motors, but I have no experience with diesels. Now the tricky part is my wife dosent know I bought it yet and I cant bring it home to work on it yet (in storage) so I havent had time to really get familiar with it or even really go through it.

Wanted to know if the car is good to keep, what maintenance should I get started on doing now, what small upgrades are nice for this car, how hard is it to replace the AC compressor and how expensive are they to purchase, If I do sell it what should I sell it for?

JB3
Superturbo

06-06-2010, 06:47 PM #2
welcome!

If its a 300TD wagon, those are relatively rare and desirable, as well as useful, so you should keep it.
Maintenance is pretty straightforward and fairly easy, although most people have a period of time fighting a uphill battle because maintenance was ignored by the PO and lots of stuff needs to be done to the car.

Id start with a valve adjustment, changing all three fuel filters, changing the air filter, engine oil, checking the coolant condition and maybe changing the thermostat, checking the power steering filter and maybe changing that, same for the brake fluid, gear oil, and transmission fluid and filter. Maybe replacing all the old fuses with new ones, and mostly, putting some miles on the car to see how it performs.
Id visually check the brakes, flex discs, CV joint, and axles for dry cracking and age problems. You want to make sure the SLS system for the rear suspension is also working, that could be big $$$$ if it has problems.

Nothing helps these cars out more than a good long hard Italian tune up!

AC compressor is not particularly difficult to replace, but could be expensive, someone else will have to speak to that though.

As for the value of the car, we need more information, maybe some pics. Wagons traditionally command a higher price because of rarity, but it usually depends on the wagon itself. Search ebay for an idea of what it could sell for if you find the right sucker Big Grin

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM #2

welcome!

If its a 300TD wagon, those are relatively rare and desirable, as well as useful, so you should keep it.
Maintenance is pretty straightforward and fairly easy, although most people have a period of time fighting a uphill battle because maintenance was ignored by the PO and lots of stuff needs to be done to the car.

Id start with a valve adjustment, changing all three fuel filters, changing the air filter, engine oil, checking the coolant condition and maybe changing the thermostat, checking the power steering filter and maybe changing that, same for the brake fluid, gear oil, and transmission fluid and filter. Maybe replacing all the old fuses with new ones, and mostly, putting some miles on the car to see how it performs.
Id visually check the brakes, flex discs, CV joint, and axles for dry cracking and age problems. You want to make sure the SLS system for the rear suspension is also working, that could be big $$$$ if it has problems.

Nothing helps these cars out more than a good long hard Italian tune up!

AC compressor is not particularly difficult to replace, but could be expensive, someone else will have to speak to that though.

As for the value of the car, we need more information, maybe some pics. Wagons traditionally command a higher price because of rarity, but it usually depends on the wagon itself. Search ebay for an idea of what it could sell for if you find the right sucker Big Grin

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average