STD Tuning Engine I think I stripped out my injector

I think I stripped out my injector

I think I stripped out my injector

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

meareweird
TA 0301

05-28-2010, 11:41 AM #1
I am a long time read sparse time poster, anyway so i did my injector pump o rings about two weeks ago and noticed yesterday that it was leaking worse than before. So i take off the lines and recheck my work and I am afraid I may have overtightened them and one I discovered I have stripped the threads out and it wont tighten at all. So what are my options other than buying a new pump is it possible to try and recut threads or would that make the diameter too large? If I have to buy a new pump, even if I were just to use it temporarily, where can I find them other than junkyards. It is a 602 turbo from a 1987 190D. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
meareweird
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM #1

I am a long time read sparse time poster, anyway so i did my injector pump o rings about two weeks ago and noticed yesterday that it was leaking worse than before. So i take off the lines and recheck my work and I am afraid I may have overtightened them and one I discovered I have stripped the threads out and it wont tighten at all. So what are my options other than buying a new pump is it possible to try and recut threads or would that make the diameter too large? If I have to buy a new pump, even if I were just to use it temporarily, where can I find them other than junkyards. It is a 602 turbo from a 1987 190D. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

05-28-2010, 11:48 AM #2
I'm having trouble envisioning the part you're talking about. Is this something on the pump or at the actual injector? It sounds like you're referring to the delivery valve holder. Right? The splined shafts? Are you talking about the part that goes into the pump or the very tip where the injection line attaches?

I would think in any case, that you could buy a new delivery valve holder used, from someone here on the board or on another one.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.
E300TSC
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM #2

I'm having trouble envisioning the part you're talking about. Is this something on the pump or at the actual injector? It sounds like you're referring to the delivery valve holder. Right? The splined shafts? Are you talking about the part that goes into the pump or the very tip where the injection line attaches?

I would think in any case, that you could buy a new delivery valve holder used, from someone here on the board or on another one.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

05-28-2010, 12:04 PM #3
Hmm....

Sounds like you're in a pickle!

So, just to confirm, You've replaced the seals on the del-holders of teh Pump, and now one has a stripped-thread in the ally of the pump case....??

IF this is the case, then realistically you need to look for a replacement pump....

I'm guessing its possible for a GOOD injection-shop to completely disassemble the pump, drill out and fit an insert/helicoil in the ally on the affected thread, then fully re-build but if you've overtightened one then most of the others could well have suffered from your over enthusiasm too!

--They would HAVE to fully strip pump down as the amount of shavings and swarf made during repair would otherwise wreck the pump if ANY were left in there!

--BUT either way, It aint gonna be cheap, unless you can score a working good pump from a bone-yard or friendly M.B. guy....
--No matter What, That pump's gotta come off!

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM #3

Hmm....

Sounds like you're in a pickle!

So, just to confirm, You've replaced the seals on the del-holders of teh Pump, and now one has a stripped-thread in the ally of the pump case....??

IF this is the case, then realistically you need to look for a replacement pump....

I'm guessing its possible for a GOOD injection-shop to completely disassemble the pump, drill out and fit an insert/helicoil in the ally on the affected thread, then fully re-build but if you've overtightened one then most of the others could well have suffered from your over enthusiasm too!

--They would HAVE to fully strip pump down as the amount of shavings and swarf made during repair would otherwise wreck the pump if ANY were left in there!

--BUT either way, It aint gonna be cheap, unless you can score a working good pump from a bone-yard or friendly M.B. guy....
--No matter What, That pump's gotta come off!

meareweird
TA 0301

05-28-2010, 12:06 PM #4
The title should have read injector pump The splined piece that covers the delivery valve is what im referring to.
As seen in this write up http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedes_inje...ring_r.htm it is referred to as the stub pipe
This post was last modified: 05-28-2010, 12:08 PM by meareweird.
meareweird
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM #4

The title should have read injector pump The splined piece that covers the delivery valve is what im referring to.
As seen in this write up http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedes_inje...ring_r.htm it is referred to as the stub pipe

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

05-28-2010, 12:11 PM #5
(05-28-2010, 12:06 PM)meareweird The title should have read injector pump The splined piece that covers the delivery valve is what im referring to.

Yup, we tend to call this part the 'Del-Valve Holder' in these parts....

Cant see any way round it but to replace that pump. a Repair would be expensive IF you could find someone to do it--Most places would say -new-pump, mate.... or even rebuild all the parts from yours into a new case, then fully re-calibrate....

Alastair E
05-28-2010, 12:11 PM #5

(05-28-2010, 12:06 PM)meareweird The title should have read injector pump The splined piece that covers the delivery valve is what im referring to.

Yup, we tend to call this part the 'Del-Valve Holder' in these parts....

Cant see any way round it but to replace that pump. a Repair would be expensive IF you could find someone to do it--Most places would say -new-pump, mate.... or even rebuild all the parts from yours into a new case, then fully re-calibrate....

meareweird
TA 0301

05-28-2010, 12:23 PM #6
So I am looking at getting a new pump I see some on ebay that are used for around 400-500 ARRGH AFTER THIS I AM BUYING A TORQUE WRENCH!!!!
meareweird
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM #6

So I am looking at getting a new pump I see some on ebay that are used for around 400-500 ARRGH AFTER THIS I AM BUYING A TORQUE WRENCH!!!!

meareweird
TA 0301

05-28-2010, 03:20 PM #7
For future reference what are the torque specs for the DV holder?
meareweird
05-28-2010, 03:20 PM #7

For future reference what are the torque specs for the DV holder?

winmutt
bitbanger

05-28-2010, 05:44 PM #8
Uh that part is easy enough to replace???? Or am I confused? Is it the pump block or the delivery valve top to hard line that is stripped?
This post was last modified: 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM by winmutt.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
05-28-2010, 05:44 PM #8

Uh that part is easy enough to replace???? Or am I confused? Is it the pump block or the delivery valve top to hard line that is stripped?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

05-28-2010, 07:44 PM #9
X2... Which part is stripped? Per that diesel giant link you can see the delivery valves are removable. Assuming you already saw this the pump block is what is stripped? If you havent already pulled it out, take it out and look at the threads in the pump block. The delivery valve probably has softer metal and I would bet that could strip and the inside just needs to be cleaned out. Take a look at that first before you go buy a pump...

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
05-28-2010, 07:44 PM #9

X2... Which part is stripped? Per that diesel giant link you can see the delivery valves are removable. Assuming you already saw this the pump block is what is stripped? If you havent already pulled it out, take it out and look at the threads in the pump block. The delivery valve probably has softer metal and I would bet that could strip and the inside just needs to be cleaned out. Take a look at that first before you go buy a pump...

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

05-28-2010, 08:09 PM #10
Post a picture. It makes very little sense that the pump body would be stripped, because the DV holder is quite soft (aluminum alloy of some kind?). If this is the case, would love to know how it happened.
GREASY_BEAST
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM #10

Post a picture. It makes very little sense that the pump body would be stripped, because the DV holder is quite soft (aluminum alloy of some kind?). If this is the case, would love to know how it happened.

tomnik
Holset

05-29-2010, 12:20 AM #11
The pump body is aluminum alloy, the DV holder is steel.
Either it strips off the body thread or the body breaks when too much torque is applied. Not the first time I hear about that.
The body might be the same from a n/a IP.
Depending on the remaining wall thickness an insert could be an alternative.

Tom

(05-28-2010, 08:09 PM)GREASY_BEAST Post a picture. It makes very little sense that the pump body would be stripped, because the DV holder is quite soft (aluminum alloy of some kind?). If this is the case, would love to know how it happened.
tomnik
05-29-2010, 12:20 AM #11

The pump body is aluminum alloy, the DV holder is steel.
Either it strips off the body thread or the body breaks when too much torque is applied. Not the first time I hear about that.
The body might be the same from a n/a IP.
Depending on the remaining wall thickness an insert could be an alternative.

Tom

(05-28-2010, 08:09 PM)GREASY_BEAST Post a picture. It makes very little sense that the pump body would be stripped, because the DV holder is quite soft (aluminum alloy of some kind?). If this is the case, would love to know how it happened.

meareweird
TA 0301

06-07-2010, 11:26 AM #12
I will look at the pump once more and see if i can get a good picture but either way I have already bought another pump so I'll be putting it on this week whenever I have spare time.

ps can a mod edit the thread title to say injector pump?
This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM by meareweird.
meareweird
06-07-2010, 11:26 AM #12

I will look at the pump once more and see if i can get a good picture but either way I have already bought another pump so I'll be putting it on this week whenever I have spare time.

ps can a mod edit the thread title to say injector pump?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average