STD Tuning Engine intercooler OM617a

intercooler OM617a

intercooler OM617a

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

kmaser
Turbocharged G-Wagen

05-25-2010, 10:38 PM #1
    I'm going to fit an intercooler on my OM617a that I put into my G wagen.
What do you guys think would be better for off roading air/water or air/air, I also drive for extended periods on the highway. Also was wondering if anybody has welded and A/W intercooler to the stock manifold ?

Thanks
kmaser
05-25-2010, 10:38 PM #1

I'm going to fit an intercooler on my OM617a that I put into my G wagen.
What do you guys think would be better for off roading air/water or air/air, I also drive for extended periods on the highway. Also was wondering if anybody has welded and A/W intercooler to the stock manifold ?

Thanks

tomnik
Holset

05-25-2010, 11:28 PM #2
Hi Kurtis,

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/inc-...-1216.html

also a good argument for a/w IC.
The IC is from a bi-turbo AMG gasser (one side only), unfortunately only available for 275 EUR now.

Tom
tomnik
05-25-2010, 11:28 PM #2

Hi Kurtis,

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/inc-...-1216.html

also a good argument for a/w IC.
The IC is from a bi-turbo AMG gasser (one side only), unfortunately only available for 275 EUR now.

Tom

ForcedInduction
Banned

05-26-2010, 12:13 AM #3
A/W is the the best option for off road, there is no airflow to cool an A/A decently.
The water works like a buffer, absorbing a lot of heat and allowing it to dissipate over time. Add a big water reservoir and it will stay cool for even longer.
ForcedInduction
05-26-2010, 12:13 AM #3

A/W is the the best option for off road, there is no airflow to cool an A/A decently.
The water works like a buffer, absorbing a lot of heat and allowing it to dissipate over time. Add a big water reservoir and it will stay cool for even longer.

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

05-26-2010, 06:01 AM #4
A/W can also be chilled with the AC system, if you like.
yankneck696
05-26-2010, 06:01 AM #4

A/W can also be chilled with the AC system, if you like.

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

05-26-2010, 09:16 AM #5
(05-25-2010, 10:38 PM)kmaser I'm going to fit an intercooler on my OM617a that I put into my G wagen.

Thanks

Take a look at my profile thread for The Flying Pumpkin. I had a buddy of mine weld a A/W intercooler directly to the stock intake manifold. It works great, and the amount of plumbing is minimal. I have less than 10" of plumbing from the turbo to the intercooler. The less amount of airspace between the two, the less the percevied lag from the turbo. With the stock K26, it would hit boost very quickly.

(05-26-2010, 12:13 AM)ForcedInduction A/W is the the best option for off road, there is no airflow to cool an A/A decently.

I haven't added a reservoir yet, but FI is right, a reservoir will let it stay cool for longer periods. Also, in slow moving off road situations, an A/A will just be a heat soak. It only gets worse if you have mud, dirt, debris in the intercooler blocking all air flow. I sure you can get mud etc blocking the airflow in the A/W heat exchanger, but the water will still be able to cool the intake charge more than a blocked A/A setup.

If you, or someone else, welds the intercooler to the manifold, make sure it is bolted down to something solid. Mine warped and needed some straightening to make it fit back on correctly. There are a couple threads on how some of the members here made their intercooler / manifold setup. They are good reading and very informative. Hope this helps you out some!

Edit: yankneck696 is right about the a/c thing also. Smile
This post was last modified: 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM by Biohazard.

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 
Biohazard
05-26-2010, 09:16 AM #5

(05-25-2010, 10:38 PM)kmaser I'm going to fit an intercooler on my OM617a that I put into my G wagen.

Thanks

Take a look at my profile thread for The Flying Pumpkin. I had a buddy of mine weld a A/W intercooler directly to the stock intake manifold. It works great, and the amount of plumbing is minimal. I have less than 10" of plumbing from the turbo to the intercooler. The less amount of airspace between the two, the less the percevied lag from the turbo. With the stock K26, it would hit boost very quickly.

(05-26-2010, 12:13 AM)ForcedInduction A/W is the the best option for off road, there is no airflow to cool an A/A decently.

I haven't added a reservoir yet, but FI is right, a reservoir will let it stay cool for longer periods. Also, in slow moving off road situations, an A/A will just be a heat soak. It only gets worse if you have mud, dirt, debris in the intercooler blocking all air flow. I sure you can get mud etc blocking the airflow in the A/W heat exchanger, but the water will still be able to cool the intake charge more than a blocked A/A setup.

If you, or someone else, welds the intercooler to the manifold, make sure it is bolted down to something solid. Mine warped and needed some straightening to make it fit back on correctly. There are a couple threads on how some of the members here made their intercooler / manifold setup. They are good reading and very informative. Hope this helps you out some!

Edit: yankneck696 is right about the a/c thing also. Smile

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 

kmaser
Turbocharged G-Wagen

05-26-2010, 03:40 PM #6
Awesome that's exactly how I would like to mount mine and I definitely have the room. do you know how wide the intercooler is without the inlet/ outlets?

Thanks
kmaser
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM #6

Awesome that's exactly how I would like to mount mine and I definitely have the room. do you know how wide the intercooler is without the inlet/ outlets?

Thanks

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

05-26-2010, 05:23 PM #7
Core only is about 3.5" wide/tall, roughly 11" long. I got the whole intercooler from froozenboost.com, same as what you find on ebay. The inlet is 2.5"; water inlet/outlet is 1/2NPT.

Biohazard
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM #7

Core only is about 3.5" wide/tall, roughly 11" long. I got the whole intercooler from froozenboost.com, same as what you find on ebay. The inlet is 2.5"; water inlet/outlet is 1/2NPT.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average