STD Tuning Drivetrain 83 300TD Kick Down Switch

83 300TD Kick Down Switch

83 300TD Kick Down Switch

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sour Diesel
Naturally-aspirated

05-24-2010, 02:45 PM #1
So the switch under the pedal some times works some times not. I really need this function to be functional and most important is predictable.

The function if shifting to 1st gear at slow speeds is very important because I am prepping the old 300TD Euro for TSD Rally. If I get into a corner on dirt I need first gear. Trust me I know this car now! The huge front sway bar pushes the estate to the ditch every time. So power drifts get the job done every time.

So how to I get that function of first gear kick down to be Predictable Huh
Maybe a mod or upgrade? Thanks for the ideas.
Sour Diesel
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM #1

So the switch under the pedal some times works some times not. I really need this function to be functional and most important is predictable.

The function if shifting to 1st gear at slow speeds is very important because I am prepping the old 300TD Euro for TSD Rally. If I get into a corner on dirt I need first gear. Trust me I know this car now! The huge front sway bar pushes the estate to the ditch every time. So power drifts get the job done every time.

So how to I get that function of first gear kick down to be Predictable Huh
Maybe a mod or upgrade? Thanks for the ideas.

ForcedInduction
Banned

05-24-2010, 02:52 PM #2
Clean the switch contacts, make sure the wire going to the solenoid is intact and the connector to the solenoid isn't corroded.
ForcedInduction
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM #2

Clean the switch contacts, make sure the wire going to the solenoid is intact and the connector to the solenoid isn't corroded.

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

05-24-2010, 11:23 PM #3
Some early automatic shifters have the kick down switch built into a "1st" position so you can put it into 1st without having to stomp on it. it's really just a spring loaded position past the Low setting that engauges the switch along with 2nd gear to make the transmission switch to 1st.

but the factory kick down switch shouldn't be hard to find. you can still find them for the G-wagen though the connection to floor is totally different.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM #3

Some early automatic shifters have the kick down switch built into a "1st" position so you can put it into 1st without having to stomp on it. it's really just a spring loaded position past the Low setting that engauges the switch along with 2nd gear to make the transmission switch to 1st.

but the factory kick down switch shouldn't be hard to find. you can still find them for the G-wagen though the connection to floor is totally different.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

05-25-2010, 03:42 PM #4
Mine has always functioned erratically, and its usually pretty difficult to get the trans to shift into first even when it does work, because first gear only lasts until 3600rpm or so.
GREASY_BEAST
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM #4

Mine has always functioned erratically, and its usually pretty difficult to get the trans to shift into first even when it does work, because first gear only lasts until 3600rpm or so.

Sour Diesel
Naturally-aspirated

05-27-2010, 12:15 AM #5
I took a look seems like the accelerator pedal wont make contact. The switch part makes a loud click when pushed in by hand. Maybe I need to make some adjustments some where.
Sour Diesel
05-27-2010, 12:15 AM #5

I took a look seems like the accelerator pedal wont make contact. The switch part makes a loud click when pushed in by hand. Maybe I need to make some adjustments some where.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

05-27-2010, 05:17 PM #6
(05-27-2010, 12:15 AM)Sour Diesel I took a look seems like the accelerator pedal wont make contact. The switch part makes a loud click when pushed in by hand. Maybe I need to make some adjustments some where.

Is the bushing on the rotating accelerator linkage under the hood worn? If so, the linkages might be adjusted too tight in order to compensate. I'd suggest going through all the linkages and making sure they are all in good order. Are you sure the carpet isn't binding the accelerator? This happens also.

The click sounds like a good thing, as long as the switch operates properly.
This post was last modified: 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM by GREASY_BEAST.
GREASY_BEAST
05-27-2010, 05:17 PM #6

(05-27-2010, 12:15 AM)Sour Diesel I took a look seems like the accelerator pedal wont make contact. The switch part makes a loud click when pushed in by hand. Maybe I need to make some adjustments some where.

Is the bushing on the rotating accelerator linkage under the hood worn? If so, the linkages might be adjusted too tight in order to compensate. I'd suggest going through all the linkages and making sure they are all in good order. Are you sure the carpet isn't binding the accelerator? This happens also.

The click sounds like a good thing, as long as the switch operates properly.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average