Electric problem

Electric problem

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HoleshotHolset
Holset

04-12-2008, 11:20 AM #1
Are you driving a Plymouth Fury? Sad link

All jokes aside...
You shouldn't see anything much higher than about 14 volts anywhere on a 12VDC nominal automotive electrical system with the engine running. The only exceptions are HD and emergency vehicles - sometimes those are closer to 16V.

Sounds to me like your voltage regulator is pitching a fit - hence the high voltage in one spot. I'm unsure if the alternator bolted to your engine is internally regulated or if there's an external regulator somewhere, but I'd start with that and then worry about the other funky goings on after you solve that. You don't want to cook your battery or everything else with too much voltage.

In the meantime, give everything a visual once-over. Look for bad grounds, chafed wires and corrosion - eliminate any of these issues and take steps to avoid future problems.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)
'99 W210.025 - gone, but not forgotten
'94 Dodge/Cummins - gone, but not forgotten
HoleshotHolset
04-12-2008, 11:20 AM #1

Are you driving a Plymouth Fury? Sad link

All jokes aside...
You shouldn't see anything much higher than about 14 volts anywhere on a 12VDC nominal automotive electrical system with the engine running. The only exceptions are HD and emergency vehicles - sometimes those are closer to 16V.

Sounds to me like your voltage regulator is pitching a fit - hence the high voltage in one spot. I'm unsure if the alternator bolted to your engine is internally regulated or if there's an external regulator somewhere, but I'd start with that and then worry about the other funky goings on after you solve that. You don't want to cook your battery or everything else with too much voltage.

In the meantime, give everything a visual once-over. Look for bad grounds, chafed wires and corrosion - eliminate any of these issues and take steps to avoid future problems.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)
'99 W210.025 - gone, but not forgotten
'94 Dodge/Cummins - gone, but not forgotten

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-13-2008, 04:50 AM #2
Ditto with the regulator. Also, if the diode trio is fried and letting too much AC voltage through it can play havoc with the electronics (radio, antenna, wipers). The regulator is an easy 15-minute job with just a Phillips screwdriver but the trio means the whole alternator has to go.

Take it to a place like autozone or wal-mart where they will test the battery and charging system for free.
ForcedInduction
04-13-2008, 04:50 AM #2

Ditto with the regulator. Also, if the diode trio is fried and letting too much AC voltage through it can play havoc with the electronics (radio, antenna, wipers). The regulator is an easy 15-minute job with just a Phillips screwdriver but the trio means the whole alternator has to go.

Take it to a place like autozone or wal-mart where they will test the battery and charging system for free.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average