STD Tuning Engine Engine problem

Engine problem

Engine problem

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-27-2010, 03:28 AM #1
Well I posted in the want area and the thread started going off topic of a "want ad" so I'm starting a thread here...

I finally got the engine swapped in and started it up and it's making this knocking sound. I've taken it to two mechanics for ideas of what to look at and both think it's bottom end of the engine. I checked the valve train and everything seems in order. Nothing obviously broken or way out of spec. I'm pretty sure nothing in the valve cover is causing the noise. The timing chain guide and tensioner look fine and are not loose.

I'm at a loss and I'm starting the search for a new engine. I bought the car for cheap from some people on craigslist who didn't know what they were doing. They were given the car for their son as a project but he didn't have interest in it so they sold it to me with a blown engine + the "good" engine to put in the car. Now I find out the engine isn't any good, but I didn't pay that much for the car so I don't feel that bad. I feel worse that I spent all the time to swap the engines and now I get to do it again. Anyways... I put a video of the sound on youtube so if anyone has any other ideas let me know. I've checked the injectors and they seem fine. Not sure where to go from here besides another swap... Any help is greatly appreciated!

-David

Here's the link to the sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
04-27-2010, 03:28 AM #1

Well I posted in the want area and the thread started going off topic of a "want ad" so I'm starting a thread here...

I finally got the engine swapped in and started it up and it's making this knocking sound. I've taken it to two mechanics for ideas of what to look at and both think it's bottom end of the engine. I checked the valve train and everything seems in order. Nothing obviously broken or way out of spec. I'm pretty sure nothing in the valve cover is causing the noise. The timing chain guide and tensioner look fine and are not loose.

I'm at a loss and I'm starting the search for a new engine. I bought the car for cheap from some people on craigslist who didn't know what they were doing. They were given the car for their son as a project but he didn't have interest in it so they sold it to me with a blown engine + the "good" engine to put in the car. Now I find out the engine isn't any good, but I didn't pay that much for the car so I don't feel that bad. I feel worse that I spent all the time to swap the engines and now I get to do it again. Anyways... I put a video of the sound on youtube so if anyone has any other ideas let me know. I've checked the injectors and they seem fine. Not sure where to go from here besides another swap... Any help is greatly appreciated!

-David

Here's the link to the sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

tomnik
Holset

04-27-2010, 07:30 AM #2
does the sound decrease with (a little) higher rpms?
Did you touch timing, etc. ?
Air in the fuel lines/injectors?
"Everything spec"? That means you checked injecors, timing, all filters, valve adjustment,...?
Any history of a "repair", milage?

Tom
tomnik
04-27-2010, 07:30 AM #2

does the sound decrease with (a little) higher rpms?
Did you touch timing, etc. ?
Air in the fuel lines/injectors?
"Everything spec"? That means you checked injecors, timing, all filters, valve adjustment,...?
Any history of a "repair", milage?

Tom

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-27-2010, 07:53 AM #3
I didn't touch timing... I didn't check it either because I'm not really sure how yet. I'm pretty sure I bled the fuel lines and everything pretty good.

I still need to do a complete valve adjustment to make sure they are good but nothing was "loose" as in a bolt missing or something along those lines. As far as history and mileage go I have no clue. The engine was not in the car when I got it. It was supposed to be "good" as the original owner was going to swap it into the car but had health problems so he couldn't do the work. I need to do a compression test now that it "runs" so I can get a more accurate reading.

I think the sound decreases when you rev it a little but that may just be the fan or the exhaust covering up the sound. When I get off work I'll check the valves, and then warm it up and do a compression test to see where it's at. Then I'll try to take a video with a variation of RPM to give a better idea. Thanks for the help!

-David

capflya
04-27-2010, 07:53 AM #3

I didn't touch timing... I didn't check it either because I'm not really sure how yet. I'm pretty sure I bled the fuel lines and everything pretty good.

I still need to do a complete valve adjustment to make sure they are good but nothing was "loose" as in a bolt missing or something along those lines. As far as history and mileage go I have no clue. The engine was not in the car when I got it. It was supposed to be "good" as the original owner was going to swap it into the car but had health problems so he couldn't do the work. I need to do a compression test now that it "runs" so I can get a more accurate reading.

I think the sound decreases when you rev it a little but that may just be the fan or the exhaust covering up the sound. When I get off work I'll check the valves, and then warm it up and do a compression test to see where it's at. Then I'll try to take a video with a variation of RPM to give a better idea. Thanks for the help!

-David

winmutt
bitbanger

04-28-2010, 08:38 AM #4
Sucks that you did all the work without hearing it running in the other car. Loosen the injector lines one at a time while running and see if it lessens on any injector. Stethescope would help probably as well.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
04-28-2010, 08:38 AM #4

Sucks that you did all the work without hearing it running in the other car. Loosen the injector lines one at a time while running and see if it lessens on any injector. Stethescope would help probably as well.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average