STD Other FS / WTB / Buying guides WTB: OM617a (unfortunately)

WTB: OM617a (unfortunately)

WTB: OM617a (unfortunately)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-25-2010, 11:52 PM #1
The engine I had to go in my car turns out to have a pretty bad knock. I got everything in and hooked up and it sounds almost like a jack hammer! Just my luck to... All that work just to take the darn thing out again..

If anyone near Northern Cali spots a "parts car" with a good engine or just a decent used engine please let me know. Thanks in advance.

-David

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM #1

The engine I had to go in my car turns out to have a pretty bad knock. I got everything in and hooked up and it sounds almost like a jack hammer! Just my luck to... All that work just to take the darn thing out again..

If anyone near Northern Cali spots a "parts car" with a good engine or just a decent used engine please let me know. Thanks in advance.

-David

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 12:18 AM #2
You sure its a knock and not bad fuel or injectors? Have you done anything to diagnose exactly what/where the knock is?
ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM #2

You sure its a knock and not bad fuel or injectors? Have you done anything to diagnose exactly what/where the knock is?

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-26-2010, 12:22 AM #3
I drained the tank and got new fuel that is running fine in my truck so that should be fine.

I thought injectors first but its really loud. There's a local guy who knows Mercedes pretty good and he said it's a knock. I'm willing to try anything to diagnose this if someone is willing to tell me what to/how to go about doing it. When I took it to the guy he cracked the fuel lines at the injector and it didn't cease. The noise is present when the engine is cold or hot. The engine also seems to be running hot. I've got all brand new Zerex G-05 coolant in the radiator and it's full so that should be good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it's something simple then that would be great.

I have a spare set of injectors of the "bad" engine. Should I swap them and see if anything changes?

capflya
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM #3

I drained the tank and got new fuel that is running fine in my truck so that should be fine.

I thought injectors first but its really loud. There's a local guy who knows Mercedes pretty good and he said it's a knock. I'm willing to try anything to diagnose this if someone is willing to tell me what to/how to go about doing it. When I took it to the guy he cracked the fuel lines at the injector and it didn't cease. The noise is present when the engine is cold or hot. The engine also seems to be running hot. I've got all brand new Zerex G-05 coolant in the radiator and it's full so that should be good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it's something simple then that would be great.

I have a spare set of injectors of the "bad" engine. Should I swap them and see if anything changes?

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 12:28 AM #4
If cracking the injectors doesn't make any difference then swapping them out won't. It wouldn't hurt to pull the injector of whichever cylinder is worst and inspecting the prechamber ball.
How is the oil pressure? Does it build right away and are there jets visible spraying at the cam lobes?
ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 12:28 AM #4

If cracking the injectors doesn't make any difference then swapping them out won't. It wouldn't hurt to pull the injector of whichever cylinder is worst and inspecting the prechamber ball.
How is the oil pressure? Does it build right away and are there jets visible spraying at the cam lobes?

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-26-2010, 02:32 AM #5
When it's cold it is fine but when it gets warm it drops. At idle it settles around 1 bar and will build when you rev it up. I didn't pull the valve cover off and run it open to check so I can't tell if they're spraying for sure.

I tried my best to find a video on youtube and this one sounds just like the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m974_BIH3o

At least I think it sounds like it... I'll take a video of it tomorrow. If it's something simple I am just overlooking that would be a relief! Thanks in advance for all the help. I guess I should have just started a thread instead of a want ad Tongue
I read the "info" of that video... should the chain have some "play" or should the tensioner keep it tight enough that I couldn't move it with my finger? When I replaced the valve cover gasket I checked the chain and I could move it a little bit. I don't have what I need to check the stretch yet so I don't know where thats at. The cam lobes looked good and were coated with oil after the engine ran so now that I think about it I guess that would answer your question about the jets spraying oil on the cam? Thanks again...
This post was last modified: 04-26-2010, 02:38 AM by capflya.

capflya
04-26-2010, 02:32 AM #5

When it's cold it is fine but when it gets warm it drops. At idle it settles around 1 bar and will build when you rev it up. I didn't pull the valve cover off and run it open to check so I can't tell if they're spraying for sure.

I tried my best to find a video on youtube and this one sounds just like the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m974_BIH3o

At least I think it sounds like it... I'll take a video of it tomorrow. If it's something simple I am just overlooking that would be a relief! Thanks in advance for all the help. I guess I should have just started a thread instead of a want ad Tongue

I read the "info" of that video... should the chain have some "play" or should the tensioner keep it tight enough that I couldn't move it with my finger? When I replaced the valve cover gasket I checked the chain and I could move it a little bit. I don't have what I need to check the stretch yet so I don't know where thats at. The cam lobes looked good and were coated with oil after the engine ran so now that I think about it I guess that would answer your question about the jets spraying oil on the cam? Thanks again...

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 02:43 AM #6
(04-26-2010, 02:32 AM)capflya I didn't pull the valve cover off and run it open to check so I can't tell if they're spraying for sure.
You can see the first few through the oil cap.

Quote:should the chain have some "play" or should the tensioner keep it tight enough that I couldn't move it with my finger?
Oil pressure keeps it tight when running. Off, there is just a spring and ratchet keeping tension so there will be a little deflection when pulled by hand.
ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 02:43 AM #6

(04-26-2010, 02:32 AM)capflya I didn't pull the valve cover off and run it open to check so I can't tell if they're spraying for sure.
You can see the first few through the oil cap.

Quote:should the chain have some "play" or should the tensioner keep it tight enough that I couldn't move it with my finger?
Oil pressure keeps it tight when running. Off, there is just a spring and ratchet keeping tension so there will be a little deflection when pulled by hand.

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

04-26-2010, 02:46 AM #7
Gotcha... ok well I'm at work now so in the morning when I get home I'll look through the oil filler cap to make sure the jets are spraying oil. Thanks for the quick response....

capflya
04-26-2010, 02:46 AM #7

Gotcha... ok well I'm at work now so in the morning when I get home I'll look through the oil filler cap to make sure the jets are spraying oil. Thanks for the quick response....

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average