STD Tuning Suspension Seat upgrade

Seat upgrade

Seat upgrade

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-02-2008, 12:28 AM #1
Some see it as an upgrade, some see it as a compromise and some see it as blasphemy.
To me, its a little of each.

I chose to use bucket seats from a 6th generation (1992) Mitsubishi Galant. It was a close call between the Galant, an Eclipse GS and Honda Prelude also in the yard. The Galant won because the Honda and Eclipse both would have required brackets to mate with the rear mount holes and the Prelude seats are too small (tight) for my body frame. The Galant fits perfectly with the stock Mercedes seat mounts with 2 minor modifications and no brackets!

The only modifications done were welding the travel stop blocks to the seat frame (due to the bolts hitting the rear bolt mount), fitting the Mercedes seat belt buckle and removing the unneeded Mitsu lap belt guides.

Pros:
The installation was easy, the seat is comfortable (it has lumbar support and height adjustments), it increases head room by 2", side supports, all mechanical adjustments, no more recline knob Big Grin and combined they weigh about 40lbs less than the MB seats.

Cons:
No more armrest, harder to get out of the car (I feel my leg will eventually rub the seat material through), color does not match, the belt buckle is a little recessed (easily changed later) and its Japanese parts in a Mercedes.

Overall, first impressions are very good and I feel this is a worthwhile change.

This post was last modified: 11-26-2009, 02:20 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM #1

Some see it as an upgrade, some see it as a compromise and some see it as blasphemy.
To me, its a little of each.

I chose to use bucket seats from a 6th generation (1992) Mitsubishi Galant. It was a close call between the Galant, an Eclipse GS and Honda Prelude also in the yard. The Galant won because the Honda and Eclipse both would have required brackets to mate with the rear mount holes and the Prelude seats are too small (tight) for my body frame. The Galant fits perfectly with the stock Mercedes seat mounts with 2 minor modifications and no brackets!

The only modifications done were welding the travel stop blocks to the seat frame (due to the bolts hitting the rear bolt mount), fitting the Mercedes seat belt buckle and removing the unneeded Mitsu lap belt guides.

Pros:
The installation was easy, the seat is comfortable (it has lumbar support and height adjustments), it increases head room by 2", side supports, all mechanical adjustments, no more recline knob Big Grin and combined they weigh about 40lbs less than the MB seats.

Cons:
No more armrest, harder to get out of the car (I feel my leg will eventually rub the seat material through), color does not match, the belt buckle is a little recessed (easily changed later) and its Japanese parts in a Mercedes.

Overall, first impressions are very good and I feel this is a worthwhile change.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

12-02-2008, 01:32 AM #2
Now you've gone too far.

The air horn I can dismiss, but this..?

I hope its comfortable.

ps. What happened at M-shop? Its not the same.
totaldisaster
12-02-2008, 01:32 AM #2

Now you've gone too far.

The air horn I can dismiss, but this..?

I hope its comfortable.

ps. What happened at M-shop? Its not the same.

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-02-2008, 01:50 AM #3
totaldisaster ps. What happened at M-shop? Its not the same.

I said some stubborn old fart was "doing a good job of making a fool of himself" and apparently Brian C. thinks "fool" is a personal insult. Yet, the old fart calling me a "tosser" over the PM system isn't. :evil: Moderating at MShop has been little more than a personal power trip for individuals with absolutely no integrity for a long time now, unfortunately Bill Wood (webmaster) can't/won't see that.

My unjustified ban ends on 12/22.
ForcedInduction
12-02-2008, 01:50 AM #3

totaldisaster ps. What happened at M-shop? Its not the same.

I said some stubborn old fart was "doing a good job of making a fool of himself" and apparently Brian C. thinks "fool" is a personal insult. Yet, the old fart calling me a "tosser" over the PM system isn't. :evil: Moderating at MShop has been little more than a personal power trip for individuals with absolutely no integrity for a long time now, unfortunately Bill Wood (webmaster) can't/won't see that.

My unjustified ban ends on 12/22.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

12-02-2008, 02:00 AM #4
Hate to say it, but I could have guessed it. I was reading the Cigar Hose thread and it all came together. Glad to hear its temporary.

sorry winmutt for the open discussion.

onto the seats.. you couldnt even find vinyl, or pleather etcc..?

I guess once that Liberty turbo is in you will need all the support you can get.
totaldisaster
12-02-2008, 02:00 AM #4

Hate to say it, but I could have guessed it. I was reading the Cigar Hose thread and it all came together. Glad to hear its temporary.

sorry winmutt for the open discussion.

onto the seats.. you couldnt even find vinyl, or pleather etcc..?

I guess once that Liberty turbo is in you will need all the support you can get.

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-02-2008, 02:08 AM #5
totaldisaster onto the seats.. you couldnt even find vinyl, or pleather etcc..?

These were the best in the junkyard. Everything else had the car doors open to the elements, grease, tears or didn't have the side support I was looking for.
The Prelude seats were so nasty I almost didn't want to sit in them to try the fit.
ForcedInduction
12-02-2008, 02:08 AM #5

totaldisaster onto the seats.. you couldnt even find vinyl, or pleather etcc..?

These were the best in the junkyard. Everything else had the car doors open to the elements, grease, tears or didn't have the side support I was looking for.
The Prelude seats were so nasty I almost didn't want to sit in them to try the fit.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

12-02-2008, 02:12 AM #6
do you think the fit had anything to with the chrysler mitsu relationship? Perhaps seats from chrysler might also be an option.
totaldisaster
12-02-2008, 02:12 AM #6

do you think the fit had anything to with the chrysler mitsu relationship? Perhaps seats from chrysler might also be an option.

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-02-2008, 02:41 AM #7
Any seat is an option but I was looking for a specific type (bucket, side supports, no electrics), minimal modifications/fabrication and low cost. Its all down to personal choice.

Despite being Japanese, costing only $30 and taking little work to install is difficult to beat.
ForcedInduction
12-02-2008, 02:41 AM #7

Any seat is an option but I was looking for a specific type (bucket, side supports, no electrics), minimal modifications/fabrication and low cost. Its all down to personal choice.

Despite being Japanese, costing only $30 and taking little work to install is difficult to beat.

winmutt
bitbanger

12-02-2008, 02:57 PM #8
FI, this is an upgrade fail.....

Go back.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM #8

FI, this is an upgrade fail.....

Go back.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

kamel
Naturally-aspirated SUCKS

12-03-2008, 12:50 AM #9
Looks like I'll be going to the yard to scoop me some seats. I could use the extra headroom and my seats are blown out anyway...although the walmart memory foam I'm using sure is pretty great comfort-mush technology.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs
kamel
12-03-2008, 12:50 AM #9

Looks like I'll be going to the yard to scoop me some seats. I could use the extra headroom and my seats are blown out anyway...although the walmart memory foam I'm using sure is pretty great comfort-mush technology.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

12-03-2008, 03:26 PM #10
The color is off. Wink

I've been looking for a good Stock seat to make in to an office chair. My Father-in-law did it with a BMW seat and it turned out quite nicely.
bgkast
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM #10

The color is off. Wink

I've been looking for a good Stock seat to make in to an office chair. My Father-in-law did it with a BMW seat and it turned out quite nicely.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

12-04-2008, 01:44 AM #11
ouch, boomerang.

Maybe seat covers could tame the battle in your cabin a bit?
totaldisaster
12-04-2008, 01:44 AM #11

ouch, boomerang.

Maybe seat covers could tame the battle in your cabin a bit?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-05-2008, 09:15 AM #12
bgkast The color is off. Wink
:lol:

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-05-2008, 09:15 AM #12

bgkast The color is off. Wink
:lol:

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average