STD Tuning Engine Non-turbo modification

Non-turbo modification

Non-turbo modification

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

kamel
Naturally-aspirated SUCKS

04-30-2008, 03:00 AM #1
Hi all, saw this forum on benzworld and I am a fan of making slow cars fast, so this is the place for me. I have a '78 300D non-turbo with around 200K miles that bought from a towing auction for $500 about 8 months and 2K miles ago. Well, since it's lasted me this long, it's pretty much made itself worthy of fixing up. Diesel purge will commence later this week as soon as my new primer pump arrives. I have already opened up the ADA screw 8 turns out from bottom, as well as taking out the slack from the linkages but I would still like to have some more power. I've experimented with different exhaust setups after the stock muffler broke off while I was offroading it. Straight pipe was too noisey but had incredible throttle response, so I installed a 2" cherry bomb, but it lacked top end. So then, I went to 3" from the manifold back with a Summit 3" turbo muffler, and this has had the best results so far. Great throttle response, but still has sufficient backpressure. Plus it sounds like a really angry tractor. :lol:

Here's my girl:
[Image: IMG_1638.jpg]

I also have an '82 300D Turbodiesel at my disposal. This one only has 83K miles and has been garaged by the original owner, my grandpa and has been properly maintained. Now, I can't seem to find the ALDA screw on this model, but there is an adjustment screw located near the turbo that connects to the manifold. I see something that resembles the ALDA on top of the IP, but does not have the locknut-screw combo on top. I know for a fact that this car was made in Germany, as my grandpa had ordered it and imported it himself. Would this have to do with the MIA ALDA?

Here's the turbo next to the slothenwagen:
[Image: IMG_2069.jpg]

Any help is appreciated.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs
kamel
04-30-2008, 03:00 AM #1

Hi all, saw this forum on benzworld and I am a fan of making slow cars fast, so this is the place for me. I have a '78 300D non-turbo with around 200K miles that bought from a towing auction for $500 about 8 months and 2K miles ago. Well, since it's lasted me this long, it's pretty much made itself worthy of fixing up. Diesel purge will commence later this week as soon as my new primer pump arrives. I have already opened up the ADA screw 8 turns out from bottom, as well as taking out the slack from the linkages but I would still like to have some more power. I've experimented with different exhaust setups after the stock muffler broke off while I was offroading it. Straight pipe was too noisey but had incredible throttle response, so I installed a 2" cherry bomb, but it lacked top end. So then, I went to 3" from the manifold back with a Summit 3" turbo muffler, and this has had the best results so far. Great throttle response, but still has sufficient backpressure. Plus it sounds like a really angry tractor. :lol:

Here's my girl:
[Image: IMG_1638.jpg]

I also have an '82 300D Turbodiesel at my disposal. This one only has 83K miles and has been garaged by the original owner, my grandpa and has been properly maintained. Now, I can't seem to find the ALDA screw on this model, but there is an adjustment screw located near the turbo that connects to the manifold. I see something that resembles the ALDA on top of the IP, but does not have the locknut-screw combo on top. I know for a fact that this car was made in Germany, as my grandpa had ordered it and imported it himself. Would this have to do with the MIA ALDA?

Here's the turbo next to the slothenwagen:
[Image: IMG_2069.jpg]

Any help is appreciated.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs

winmutt
bitbanger

04-30-2008, 09:07 AM #2
Is there a black cap on top of the would be ALDA? Before messing with the ALDA check the linkage, timing and injectors.

I honestly wouldn't touch the NA. those cars should be left untouched. If anything I would definitely recommend an M series pump for the NA. You will have a much better top end. My old Euro NA was very sprightly, it saw 110+mph more than a few times (need big hills to get over 110).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
04-30-2008, 09:07 AM #2

Is there a black cap on top of the would be ALDA? Before messing with the ALDA check the linkage, timing and injectors.

I honestly wouldn't touch the NA. those cars should be left untouched. If anything I would definitely recommend an M series pump for the NA. You will have a much better top end. My old Euro NA was very sprightly, it saw 110+mph more than a few times (need big hills to get over 110).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

04-30-2008, 09:57 AM #3
Nice car, looks familiar...

[Image: vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3057&d=1209361903]

You could always drop a turbo engine in the '78, or install a turbo on your engine and run low boost (less than 5 psi). They did make turbo kits for the non-turbo engine. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://superturbodiesel.com/std/topic76.html">topic76.html</a><!-- l -->
bgkast
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM #3

Nice car, looks familiar...

[Image: vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3057&d=1209361903]

You could always drop a turbo engine in the '78, or install a turbo on your engine and run low boost (less than 5 psi). They did make turbo kits for the non-turbo engine. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://superturbodiesel.com/std/topic76.html">topic76.html</a><!-- l -->

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-30-2008, 11:52 AM #4
Get all your maintenance up to spec (Valve lash, oil, air, etc), reset the injection timing from 24*BTDC to 26-28*BTDC using the drip tube method found, cut out the funnel in the air filter housing (going to the intake manifold), adjust your ADA and use only clean diesel.

If you turned the ADA 8 turns I fear you may have damaged it (Broke the shaft off). Remove it completely and see if it runs any better.

You should install an EGT gauge asap. Non-turbo diesels have hot EGTs to start with, changing the exhaust and altering the ADA may get it too hot.

Post a picture of your grandpa's engine, that will help us better figure out the MIA ALDA.
ForcedInduction
04-30-2008, 11:52 AM #4

Get all your maintenance up to spec (Valve lash, oil, air, etc), reset the injection timing from 24*BTDC to 26-28*BTDC using the drip tube method found, cut out the funnel in the air filter housing (going to the intake manifold), adjust your ADA and use only clean diesel.

If you turned the ADA 8 turns I fear you may have damaged it (Broke the shaft off). Remove it completely and see if it runs any better.

You should install an EGT gauge asap. Non-turbo diesels have hot EGTs to start with, changing the exhaust and altering the ADA may get it too hot.

Post a picture of your grandpa's engine, that will help us better figure out the MIA ALDA.

kamel

05-01-2008, 12:48 AM #5
Thanks for the responses!

The '82 does have a plastic cap on top of the ALDA, but I feared popping it off as I didn't want to break anything.

The ADA on the NA is backed out to full stop, so I know it isn't broken. It just happens to be around 8 turns out from bottom. I will investigate this timing after I diesel purge it tomorrow.

kamel
05-01-2008, 12:48 AM #5

Thanks for the responses!

The '82 does have a plastic cap on top of the ALDA, but I feared popping it off as I didn't want to break anything.

The ADA on the NA is backed out to full stop, so I know it isn't broken. It just happens to be around 8 turns out from bottom. I will investigate this timing after I diesel purge it tomorrow.

winmutt
bitbanger

05-01-2008, 02:33 PM #6
kamel Thanks for the responses!

Adjusting the ADA is pretty much a nono...

Pop the black cap off and tear the sheet metal like a sardine can lid. Adjust from there. Check your linkage first, this is the usually the greatest cause for lack of power. Beware in some states modifying that ALDA will make you fail emissions and it is illegal in all 50 states to modify any emissions component.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
05-01-2008, 02:33 PM #6

kamel Thanks for the responses!

Adjusting the ADA is pretty much a nono...

Pop the black cap off and tear the sheet metal like a sardine can lid. Adjust from there. Check your linkage first, this is the usually the greatest cause for lack of power. Beware in some states modifying that ALDA will make you fail emissions and it is illegal in all 50 states to modify any emissions component.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

kamel

05-06-2008, 02:07 PM #7
The black cap on the ALDA?

I'm not too worried about smog as diesel is exempt around where I live.

kamel
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM #7

The black cap on the ALDA?

I'm not too worried about smog as diesel is exempt around where I live.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average