STD Tuning Engine Turbocharger performance in 1979 300SD Turbo Diesel

Turbocharger performance in 1979 300SD Turbo Diesel

Turbocharger performance in 1979 300SD Turbo Diesel

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mahonroy
Naturally-aspirated

04-08-2010, 11:34 AM #1
Hello, my name is Matt and I'm new to the forum. I've searched around a bit and had a hard time finding a couple of answers so figured I would just ask.
I have a 1979 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel. I'm wanting to modify the exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake manifold to fit a Garrett GT35 Ball Berring Turbo, and run an intercooler with it as well.
My main concern is the amount of boost I can push through the engine before braking something (such as a piston/rod), I want to be able to get as much out of the engine as possible, and I hear these diesel engines are very strong and love boost.
My second concern is what kind of modifications would be necessary to provide the additional fuel that will be required for the added boost pressures? I've only messed with gasoline electronic fuel injection for turbocharging, but have never done it on a diesel before.
Last since this car is an automatic, is there a torque converter or something I can get that will perform better with the extra boost?
Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated, I'll post some pics of the project as well.
Mahonroy
04-08-2010, 11:34 AM #1

Hello, my name is Matt and I'm new to the forum. I've searched around a bit and had a hard time finding a couple of answers so figured I would just ask.
I have a 1979 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel. I'm wanting to modify the exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake manifold to fit a Garrett GT35 Ball Berring Turbo, and run an intercooler with it as well.
My main concern is the amount of boost I can push through the engine before braking something (such as a piston/rod), I want to be able to get as much out of the engine as possible, and I hear these diesel engines are very strong and love boost.
My second concern is what kind of modifications would be necessary to provide the additional fuel that will be required for the added boost pressures? I've only messed with gasoline electronic fuel injection for turbocharging, but have never done it on a diesel before.
Last since this car is an automatic, is there a torque converter or something I can get that will perform better with the extra boost?
Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated, I'll post some pics of the project as well.

George3soccer
Holset

04-08-2010, 12:27 PM #2
Read up my friend on the boost and turbo upgrade. There's allot of info out there that has been answered in this engine section.

The tranny question not really any torque converter upgrade.
George3soccer
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM #2

Read up my friend on the boost and turbo upgrade. There's allot of info out there that has been answered in this engine section.

The tranny question not really any torque converter upgrade.

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

04-08-2010, 04:14 PM #3
(04-08-2010, 02:24 PM)GREASY_BEAST What do you want more boost for?

More fuel + more boost = Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM #3

(04-08-2010, 02:24 PM)GREASY_BEAST What do you want more boost for?

More fuel + more boost = Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

04-08-2010, 07:47 PM #4
On a diesel fuel adds heat/power you need more boost to keep it cool!!! more boost wont make any power unless you add more fuel

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM #4

On a diesel fuel adds heat/power you need more boost to keep it cool!!! more boost wont make any power unless you add more fuel

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

Mahonroy
Naturally-aspirated

04-12-2010, 07:53 AM #5
Thanks for the replies!
So I think the mechanical portion of the turbo setup will be no problem. Its just fuel control now. So I did some reading on this myna pump, do I have to pull mine off, ship it to them, pay them like 1500 bucks, they modify it then ship it back? Is there any other alternative to modifying, or upping the pressure to support more hp?
Mahonroy
04-12-2010, 07:53 AM #5

Thanks for the replies!
So I think the mechanical portion of the turbo setup will be no problem. Its just fuel control now. So I did some reading on this myna pump, do I have to pull mine off, ship it to them, pay them like 1500 bucks, they modify it then ship it back? Is there any other alternative to modifying, or upping the pressure to support more hp?

muuris
OM605

04-12-2010, 01:34 PM #6
(04-12-2010, 07:53 AM)Mahonroy Thanks for the replies!

You can turn the screws inside the pump up max fueling a bit, but you won't gain that much hp. Stock elements just can't supply enough fuel in a short time. The elements make the pressure, which opens the injectors. Increasing opening pressure alone won't increase amount of fuel injected. So, if you want big hp, let an expert do the pump.

I know Mynä is (one of) the best, but aren't there any adequate pump shops (who can do the job) in the US? Basically you just change the elements, replace all worn out parts and tune it in the pump bench. Equal injection quantities, idle, min and max quantity on no boost/full boost and on which rpm the governor kicks in. With only these mods you can have significant increase in power, yet the car still feel "stock" in everyday driving. This is enough for the most. When you want all the hp possible, then Mynä is the choice.
muuris
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM #6

(04-12-2010, 07:53 AM)Mahonroy Thanks for the replies!

You can turn the screws inside the pump up max fueling a bit, but you won't gain that much hp. Stock elements just can't supply enough fuel in a short time. The elements make the pressure, which opens the injectors. Increasing opening pressure alone won't increase amount of fuel injected. So, if you want big hp, let an expert do the pump.

I know Mynä is (one of) the best, but aren't there any adequate pump shops (who can do the job) in the US? Basically you just change the elements, replace all worn out parts and tune it in the pump bench. Equal injection quantities, idle, min and max quantity on no boost/full boost and on which rpm the governor kicks in. With only these mods you can have significant increase in power, yet the car still feel "stock" in everyday driving. This is enough for the most. When you want all the hp possible, then Mynä is the choice.

tomnik
Holset

04-12-2010, 04:34 PM #7
Hi,

David (Dervtuning) is one possible pump shop contact in the US.
Ask him if he does not jump in.

Tom
tomnik
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM #7

Hi,

Tom

DervTuning
Unregistered

04-14-2010, 11:04 AM #8
We are finishing one on the bench right now.

Tom's elements have balanced out (element to element delivery) as among the best ever measured (= quality!),
and delivered nearly four times as much fuel as compared to stock Big Grin

Pm sent Cool

(04-12-2010, 04:34 PM)tomnik Hi,

Tom
DervTuning
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM #8

We are finishing one on the bench right now.

Tom's elements have balanced out (element to element delivery) as among the best ever measured (= quality!),
and delivered nearly four times as much fuel as compared to stock Big Grin

Pm sent Cool

(04-12-2010, 04:34 PM)tomnik Hi,

Tom

Mahonroy
Naturally-aspirated

04-20-2010, 01:40 PM #9
Thats great info, I sent a PM back to ya
Mahonroy
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM #9

Thats great info, I sent a PM back to ya

ConnClark
GT2256V

04-21-2010, 02:59 PM #10
As I have stated many times before, more boost does give more power with out more fuel. It pails in comparison to what can be achieved by adding more fuel as well but you will get more power with more boost alone. The determining factor of whether you see a gain is if you need to expend more energy than you get back to create the higher boost.

More excess air in the cylinder reduces heat energy transferred to the walls of the cylinder and keeps it in the working fluid that pushes the piston. More excess air also keeps the specific heat ratio higher which also increases power output. You also get more complete combustion of the fuel you inject.
ConnClark
04-21-2010, 02:59 PM #10

As I have stated many times before, more boost does give more power with out more fuel. It pails in comparison to what can be achieved by adding more fuel as well but you will get more power with more boost alone. The determining factor of whether you see a gain is if you need to expend more energy than you get back to create the higher boost.

More excess air in the cylinder reduces heat energy transferred to the walls of the cylinder and keeps it in the working fluid that pushes the piston. More excess air also keeps the specific heat ratio higher which also increases power output. You also get more complete combustion of the fuel you inject.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-21-2010, 03:57 PM #11
(04-21-2010, 02:59 PM)ConnClark As I have stated many times before, more boost does give more power with out more fuel.

Only a very small amount. Past 12psi with stock fueling there are no gains, you actually start losing power form the increased backpressure.
ForcedInduction
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM #11

(04-21-2010, 02:59 PM)ConnClark As I have stated many times before, more boost does give more power with out more fuel.

Only a very small amount. Past 12psi with stock fueling there are no gains, you actually start losing power form the increased backpressure.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average