STD Tuning Suspension Vogtlands

Vogtlands

Vogtlands

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

06-10-2009, 06:39 PM #22
He actually, in that thread or another, basically put his cut stock spring side by side with the Vogtlands, and it was a similar drop and number of coils. The 123 has the right setup to make cutting coils viable - a lower cup design that doesn't require a pigtailed spring end and plenty of both spring and travel to work with. There's a whole dissertation in that thread somewhere about the way a coil spring works, and if you'll notice, stiff 'race' or 'sport' springs typically have fewer coils than the stock models they're designed to replace.

I'm not saying that Vogtlands don't end up being a better spring, or deny your contention that you told him how many coils to cut (how could I, wasn't there), but in one of the few cars around where this is a legit way to lower and stiffen a car, I think it should be on the table as an option to ponder. If I had to pay 300+ for the springs and then again for the shocks, my car will likely stay the same ride height/stiffness forever, as will a lot of people for whom spending what might be a week's wage to some on something that, frankly, no one needs, isn't a realistic option.

Nur-Spec seems to have the respect of quite a few over at Benzworld, from what I can gather, and he seems happy with the results. As one who hasn't done this yet I'm not able to comment on the end result, but he has and he does.

FYI I'm one of those guys who, if I had a die grinder, would rather spend hours and hours porting a set of SBC heads rather than just pony up for a $1000+ set of good heads. Partly because for that money (half of it, lots of times) I could buy a whole, barely used complete 350 with a list of speed parts, running. Partly because I have more hours than money to spend. Partly because while I love cars 'speed mods' are about useless as far as my overall quality of life goes and because there are other things crying out for my investment. And I know that I have company.

However when I had money in the bank my SE-R got a set of fully adjustable pillow ball-mount coilovers with heim jointed end links for the rear sway bar. I had popped a spring, needed shocks anyway, and I had the money, so why not. I agree that the Vogtlands are a more known quantity, especially because there are people out there who really shouldn't change their own oil, much less start cutting springs, on their car, because they don't have the skill. And I don't know if I'd trust Joe Shop to do it for me unless I was there with the directions supervising, which ain't gonna happen with most shops.

Ultimately it's up to the car's owner to decide what gets done and what doesn't, I just want people to know that there's an alternative, if you wish to travel down that road (with cut springs.)
CID Vicious
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM #22

He actually, in that thread or another, basically put his cut stock spring side by side with the Vogtlands, and it was a similar drop and number of coils. The 123 has the right setup to make cutting coils viable - a lower cup design that doesn't require a pigtailed spring end and plenty of both spring and travel to work with. There's a whole dissertation in that thread somewhere about the way a coil spring works, and if you'll notice, stiff 'race' or 'sport' springs typically have fewer coils than the stock models they're designed to replace.

I'm not saying that Vogtlands don't end up being a better spring, or deny your contention that you told him how many coils to cut (how could I, wasn't there), but in one of the few cars around where this is a legit way to lower and stiffen a car, I think it should be on the table as an option to ponder. If I had to pay 300+ for the springs and then again for the shocks, my car will likely stay the same ride height/stiffness forever, as will a lot of people for whom spending what might be a week's wage to some on something that, frankly, no one needs, isn't a realistic option.

Nur-Spec seems to have the respect of quite a few over at Benzworld, from what I can gather, and he seems happy with the results. As one who hasn't done this yet I'm not able to comment on the end result, but he has and he does.

FYI I'm one of those guys who, if I had a die grinder, would rather spend hours and hours porting a set of SBC heads rather than just pony up for a $1000+ set of good heads. Partly because for that money (half of it, lots of times) I could buy a whole, barely used complete 350 with a list of speed parts, running. Partly because I have more hours than money to spend. Partly because while I love cars 'speed mods' are about useless as far as my overall quality of life goes and because there are other things crying out for my investment. And I know that I have company.

However when I had money in the bank my SE-R got a set of fully adjustable pillow ball-mount coilovers with heim jointed end links for the rear sway bar. I had popped a spring, needed shocks anyway, and I had the money, so why not. I agree that the Vogtlands are a more known quantity, especially because there are people out there who really shouldn't change their own oil, much less start cutting springs, on their car, because they don't have the skill. And I don't know if I'd trust Joe Shop to do it for me unless I was there with the directions supervising, which ain't gonna happen with most shops.

Ultimately it's up to the car's owner to decide what gets done and what doesn't, I just want people to know that there's an alternative, if you wish to travel down that road (with cut springs.)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Vogtlands - by bgkast - 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by ForcedInduction - 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by winmutt - 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by bgkast - 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by Telecommbrkr - 05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Re: Vogtlands - by GREASY_BEAST - 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by Telecommbrkr - 05-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Re: Vogtlands - by winmutt - 05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by MTUPower - 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by bgkast - 05-30-2008, 03:00 AM