STD Tuning Suspension Vogtlands

Vogtlands

Vogtlands

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

06-10-2009, 02:23 PM #20
For those considering Vogtlands or other springs, but whose wallet seems as infested with moths as mine:

From Benzworld, NuR-Spec says:
"back to the deal with vogtlands. with my VW, being a GTI model, it was already pretty low. the vogtlands lowered it 2.5" since they were the "race" springs. as for a sport spring from vogtland, you may only have a 1" drop in the center of gravity, but being that they are progressive gives you the benefit of a comfortable ride, long travel, and the massive reduction in body roll.

"however, i cut 3 coils off my front springs, maintained perfect travel, great ride quality, NO body roll, dramatically lowered the center of gravity, gained downforce, and the best part, put the roll center EXACTLY where it needs to be. people always have a negative stigma to chopping coils, but that's because you only see the negative aspects from the uneducated people who "take a whack" at it. many professional level race teams do cut coils. being that a W123 has exactly 13.5 coils from the factory, it is way oversprung to give sloshy good ride quality. to unleash it's performance aspects and have ride quality from a typical factory sports car, your only a cut away. as for the hondas and thier bouce, it's due to the bumpstops. hondas sacraficed travel, to accomidate a more compact double wishbone macpherson setup for clearance issues. by lowering an EG (92-95') civic by 2" your leaving it with about an inch of travel. obviously it will constanlty bounce off the bumpstops."

"first off, make sure to cut coils off the BOTTOM of the spring. i have yet to do any geometry investigations on the rear suspension, but the front will gain a perfect performance setup by cutting 3 coils. if your looking to get in the grey area, then 1.5-2 coils is ideal. especially if you plan to use larger diameter wheels."

On shocks with cut springs:
"i would strongly advise you to use HDs with any lower ride height. reason being that the damper will be preloaded using a facotry length damper. this is not ideal due to excessive wear and improper function. using an HD bilstein will counteract the preload with a higher rate valving. this is a compramise to using a shorter stroke damper, but still very functional. for optimal suspension performance, you would need to use a shorter bodied damper from another application which bboy and i have been investigating extensively and may have possibly found a solution. using a facotory length damper will only reduce travel and destroy it by being under constant load, however, my factory struts still show no signs of wear or reduced handling capabilites."

A bit of 'backup' from someone more familiar with Mr. NuR-Spec: "first of all i will say if there are any mod pros, NuR is probably it. No one has gone much farther than this with the exception of the germans previously mentioned."

If you're on a budget, it's hardly more work to cut your stock springs than it is to swap them out for aftermarket, and the 300 bones could go for shocks instead. I'm waiting for the right time and a spring compressor to fall into hand, or it'd already be done.

Full discussion here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-c...p-buy.html
CID Vicious
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM #20

For those considering Vogtlands or other springs, but whose wallet seems as infested with moths as mine:

From Benzworld, NuR-Spec says:
"back to the deal with vogtlands. with my VW, being a GTI model, it was already pretty low. the vogtlands lowered it 2.5" since they were the "race" springs. as for a sport spring from vogtland, you may only have a 1" drop in the center of gravity, but being that they are progressive gives you the benefit of a comfortable ride, long travel, and the massive reduction in body roll.

"however, i cut 3 coils off my front springs, maintained perfect travel, great ride quality, NO body roll, dramatically lowered the center of gravity, gained downforce, and the best part, put the roll center EXACTLY where it needs to be. people always have a negative stigma to chopping coils, but that's because you only see the negative aspects from the uneducated people who "take a whack" at it. many professional level race teams do cut coils. being that a W123 has exactly 13.5 coils from the factory, it is way oversprung to give sloshy good ride quality. to unleash it's performance aspects and have ride quality from a typical factory sports car, your only a cut away. as for the hondas and thier bouce, it's due to the bumpstops. hondas sacraficed travel, to accomidate a more compact double wishbone macpherson setup for clearance issues. by lowering an EG (92-95') civic by 2" your leaving it with about an inch of travel. obviously it will constanlty bounce off the bumpstops."

"first off, make sure to cut coils off the BOTTOM of the spring. i have yet to do any geometry investigations on the rear suspension, but the front will gain a perfect performance setup by cutting 3 coils. if your looking to get in the grey area, then 1.5-2 coils is ideal. especially if you plan to use larger diameter wheels."

On shocks with cut springs:
"i would strongly advise you to use HDs with any lower ride height. reason being that the damper will be preloaded using a facotry length damper. this is not ideal due to excessive wear and improper function. using an HD bilstein will counteract the preload with a higher rate valving. this is a compramise to using a shorter stroke damper, but still very functional. for optimal suspension performance, you would need to use a shorter bodied damper from another application which bboy and i have been investigating extensively and may have possibly found a solution. using a facotory length damper will only reduce travel and destroy it by being under constant load, however, my factory struts still show no signs of wear or reduced handling capabilites."

A bit of 'backup' from someone more familiar with Mr. NuR-Spec: "first of all i will say if there are any mod pros, NuR is probably it. No one has gone much farther than this with the exception of the germans previously mentioned."

If you're on a budget, it's hardly more work to cut your stock springs than it is to swap them out for aftermarket, and the 300 bones could go for shocks instead. I'm waiting for the right time and a spring compressor to fall into hand, or it'd already be done.

Full discussion here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-c...p-buy.html

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Vogtlands - by bgkast - 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by ForcedInduction - 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by winmutt - 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by bgkast - 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by Telecommbrkr - 05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Re: Vogtlands - by GREASY_BEAST - 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by Telecommbrkr - 05-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Re: Vogtlands - by winmutt - 05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Re: Vogtlands - by MTUPower - 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM