STD Tuning Engine Beginning OM603 upgrades

Beginning OM603 upgrades

Beginning OM603 upgrades

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mjrchode
Naturally-aspirated

03-31-2010, 04:37 AM #1
Hello forum,

Been lurking a while. Reading and learning. I have a 91 350SDL w/ an OM603 from an 87 W124 I put in to replace the Rod Bender. I'm not new to diesels and I'm not new to fabricating stuff. I put a 4bt in my '74 Bronco rockcrawler just for fun. Also have been running all of my diesels on my WVO blended fuel for several years.

Anyway....started looking at simple mods for the SDL. I ran across these

[Image: om603xhaustmanifold.jpg]
[Image: om603euroturbo.jpg]

and am figuring this would be a simple place to start upgrading slowly. I guess the smaller exhaust manifold would allow a slightly quicker spool up. I don't think the euro turbo will give any more boost than the one on there now but would be a convenient place to mount a larger one later. Would also eliminate a large mess (US exhaust) to the side of the engine. Does anyone know if my US model intake will still interface correctly with the euro model turbo/exhaust? I'm already using the EGR (Test delete kit). I need to be able to do this in steps and be able to keep the car on the road for now.

From the stock (euro) turbo I can add an intercooler then upgrade the turbo. Then upgrade the injection pump/injectors.

Honesty I don't want a fire breathing 603. The car is a cruiser BUT I wouldn't mind a quicker 20-80 mph time. I really don't know what stock HP is. 150 or so? I guess 250 ish would be good....but of course it usually snow balls from there. Smile

Opinions, guidance, experience gladly welcome.

Regards,
Shane
mjrchode
03-31-2010, 04:37 AM #1

Hello forum,

Been lurking a while. Reading and learning. I have a 91 350SDL w/ an OM603 from an 87 W124 I put in to replace the Rod Bender. I'm not new to diesels and I'm not new to fabricating stuff. I put a 4bt in my '74 Bronco rockcrawler just for fun. Also have been running all of my diesels on my WVO blended fuel for several years.

Anyway....started looking at simple mods for the SDL. I ran across these

[Image: om603xhaustmanifold.jpg]
[Image: om603euroturbo.jpg]

and am figuring this would be a simple place to start upgrading slowly. I guess the smaller exhaust manifold would allow a slightly quicker spool up. I don't think the euro turbo will give any more boost than the one on there now but would be a convenient place to mount a larger one later. Would also eliminate a large mess (US exhaust) to the side of the engine. Does anyone know if my US model intake will still interface correctly with the euro model turbo/exhaust? I'm already using the EGR (Test delete kit). I need to be able to do this in steps and be able to keep the car on the road for now.

From the stock (euro) turbo I can add an intercooler then upgrade the turbo. Then upgrade the injection pump/injectors.

Honesty I don't want a fire breathing 603. The car is a cruiser BUT I wouldn't mind a quicker 20-80 mph time. I really don't know what stock HP is. 150 or so? I guess 250 ish would be good....but of course it usually snow balls from there. Smile

Opinions, guidance, experience gladly welcome.

Regards,
Shane

jonbobshinigin
Holset

04-01-2010, 08:36 PM #2
148 HP stock...I guess you did not keep the SDL Rod Bender? Cause you could take the exhaust manifold off of that. I recently got one from a Euro 140 Diesel and plan to install it "one day". The biggest advantage is that it allows for a larger turbo later but it also gives better efficiency.

As for the injection pump, Tomnik and Derv are working on tuning our pump. They are the first that we know of in the states to try it...I am very eager for results! That is the only option we have short of sending out pumps to Finland and spending $2000+.

1987 300TDT - 260,000 Miles
>>275HP OM603 Project Profile here<<

jonbobshinigin
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM #2

148 HP stock...I guess you did not keep the SDL Rod Bender? Cause you could take the exhaust manifold off of that. I recently got one from a Euro 140 Diesel and plan to install it "one day". The biggest advantage is that it allows for a larger turbo later but it also gives better efficiency.

As for the injection pump, Tomnik and Derv are working on tuning our pump. They are the first that we know of in the states to try it...I am very eager for results! That is the only option we have short of sending out pumps to Finland and spending $2000+.

1987 300TDT - 260,000 Miles
>>275HP OM603 Project Profile here<<

mjrchode
Naturally-aspirated

04-01-2010, 11:31 PM #3
Yep I'm using the 91 exhaust/turbo on the 87 603. I'm going to buy the Euro exhaust manifold to see if the US model turbo will bolt up to the Euro manifold. I'm hoping the US turbo output, oil lines, exhaust will still match up w/ the Euro manifold in place.

If I can get that to work I'm going to pursue the intercooler next. Got any good links to a clean IC install? When I get it mounted I'll look to upgrading the turbo/injection pump. Hopefully by then I can get the pump tuned in the states.

Thx for the input.

(04-01-2010, 08:36 PM)jonbobshinigin 148 HP stock...I guess you did not keep the SDL Rod Bender? Cause you could take the exhaust manifold off of that. I recently got one from a Euro 140 Diesel and plan to install it "one day". The biggest advantage is that it allows for a larger turbo later but it also gives better efficiency.

mjrchode
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM #3

Yep I'm using the 91 exhaust/turbo on the 87 603. I'm going to buy the Euro exhaust manifold to see if the US model turbo will bolt up to the Euro manifold. I'm hoping the US turbo output, oil lines, exhaust will still match up w/ the Euro manifold in place.

If I can get that to work I'm going to pursue the intercooler next. Got any good links to a clean IC install? When I get it mounted I'll look to upgrading the turbo/injection pump. Hopefully by then I can get the pump tuned in the states.

Thx for the input.

(04-01-2010, 08:36 PM)jonbobshinigin 148 HP stock...I guess you did not keep the SDL Rod Bender? Cause you could take the exhaust manifold off of that. I recently got one from a Euro 140 Diesel and plan to install it "one day". The biggest advantage is that it allows for a larger turbo later but it also gives better efficiency.

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

04-06-2010, 11:32 AM #4
If the head is good on the 91' engine you might want to put it on the dredded '14' head that pretty much all 87 Nam Turbo's had or at least keep it around just in case. But yeah
Modded IP + Big Turbo (VNT/Twincharged are the best methods) + Intercooler/EGT Guage + 3" Strait Through Exhaust = Power
This post was last modified: 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM by Kozuka.
Kozuka
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM #4

If the head is good on the 91' engine you might want to put it on the dredded '14' head that pretty much all 87 Nam Turbo's had or at least keep it around just in case. But yeah
Modded IP + Big Turbo (VNT/Twincharged are the best methods) + Intercooler/EGT Guage + 3" Strait Through Exhaust = Power

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average