STD Tuning Engine Delivery valves

Delivery valves

Delivery valves

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-05-2008, 04:54 PM #101
Quote:why would they design brake lines to swell? how are these different?

Why do you think the brake pedal has some give to it when you step on the brakes? Why is it not the same feel as stepping on a block of concrete?

One glaring difference in the comparison of a brake system to an injection system is that the "plunger" for the brake system is enormous relative to the line volume, whereas with the injection system, that is not the case. Another is that the injection system is trying to squirt fuel out the other end, whereas with the brake system it is trying to actuate a piston. Again, the "flexibility" is still observed in the brake system. If you don't believe me, go stomp on the brakes a few times. You will not ever get it to harden up to the point where it doesn't give at least a little bit (or you will burst something)..
GREASY_BEAST
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM #101

Quote:why would they design brake lines to swell? how are these different?

Why do you think the brake pedal has some give to it when you step on the brakes? Why is it not the same feel as stepping on a block of concrete?

One glaring difference in the comparison of a brake system to an injection system is that the "plunger" for the brake system is enormous relative to the line volume, whereas with the injection system, that is not the case. Another is that the injection system is trying to squirt fuel out the other end, whereas with the brake system it is trying to actuate a piston. Again, the "flexibility" is still observed in the brake system. If you don't believe me, go stomp on the brakes a few times. You will not ever get it to harden up to the point where it doesn't give at least a little bit (or you will burst something)..

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

12-05-2008, 05:01 PM #102
that was a simple example. If they (lines?) were designed to give in that direction, they would be regular service items. Fatigue in metals is very real, continuous repetitive cycles would weaken the lines. and it probabaly does, but I think it is safe to say that these lines are designed to overcome fatigue due to the presssures they incurr.

What do you think of the volume being increased du to the removal of the collar? I just reread the beginnings of this thread, and I think the added fuel is from more ore less increasing the volume of the cahmber by removing the collar of the DV.

look up the modulus of elasticity for steel - or some steel alloy
totaldisaster
12-05-2008, 05:01 PM #102

that was a simple example. If they (lines?) were designed to give in that direction, they would be regular service items. Fatigue in metals is very real, continuous repetitive cycles would weaken the lines. and it probabaly does, but I think it is safe to say that these lines are designed to overcome fatigue due to the presssures they incurr.

What do you think of the volume being increased du to the removal of the collar? I just reread the beginnings of this thread, and I think the added fuel is from more ore less increasing the volume of the cahmber by removing the collar of the DV.

look up the modulus of elasticity for steel - or some steel alloy

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-05-2008, 05:35 PM #103
Young's Modulus. Yes. But the flexing isn't much, and its not really bending the lines back and forth, just sort of bulging them out a little bit, and such a small bit that it is well within the elastic region and doesn't contribute hardly anything at all to hardening and the formation of cracks... thin I know, but its all a guess anyway lol...

Here's an experiment: Get a wooden stake (with blunt ends) about 3ft long. Stick one end on the injector line, and the other end (gently) on the side of your head near your ear. You can "hear", more like feel, the injection pulses in your skull. Why? Something has to be transmitting that pulse to the stick to your head. If not the flexing of the line, then what?

But the question remains: Why does removing the collar from the delivery valve mean more fuel goes in? Is it just due to secondary injections or is it actually more volume per injection?

And: Why does increasing the injector hole size yield more power?

These are really the important things to answer.
GREASY_BEAST
12-05-2008, 05:35 PM #103

Young's Modulus. Yes. But the flexing isn't much, and its not really bending the lines back and forth, just sort of bulging them out a little bit, and such a small bit that it is well within the elastic region and doesn't contribute hardly anything at all to hardening and the formation of cracks... thin I know, but its all a guess anyway lol...

Here's an experiment: Get a wooden stake (with blunt ends) about 3ft long. Stick one end on the injector line, and the other end (gently) on the side of your head near your ear. You can "hear", more like feel, the injection pulses in your skull. Why? Something has to be transmitting that pulse to the stick to your head. If not the flexing of the line, then what?

But the question remains: Why does removing the collar from the delivery valve mean more fuel goes in? Is it just due to secondary injections or is it actually more volume per injection?

These are really the important things to answer.

tomnik
Holset

12-06-2008, 03:09 AM #104
GREASY_BEAST But the question remains: Why does removing the collar from the delivery valve mean more fuel goes in? Is it just due to secondary injections or is it actually more volume per injection?

I'll try again:

it is the collar getting out the bore when the DV moves upwards that opens the way for the fuel towards the injector. No collar and you have a sudden start of flow (just when the increasing pressure of the element lifts the cone).
At the end of injection the damping effect is missing and here you also have a sudden shut down of the flow. Here I am not sure about what happens exactly. The risk of a pressure wave is higher and cause a second injection, depending on pop pressure and if there is a restriction orifice above the DV.

nozzle:
in general I would say it is the duration of injection that is just shorter. Only this might got provide more power but you simply have more time to inject more fuel. That is the original reason on stock engines with better nozzles: decreasing the duration of injection (the same amount of fuel is injected but within a shorter time will increase the efficiency=better mileage and lower emission).

I will collect different DVs for comparison. 616, 617a and 606 and my new custom made one to see the evolution.

How can I upload a xls file?

Tom
tomnik
12-06-2008, 03:09 AM #104

GREASY_BEAST But the question remains: Why does removing the collar from the delivery valve mean more fuel goes in? Is it just due to secondary injections or is it actually more volume per injection?

I'll try again:

it is the collar getting out the bore when the DV moves upwards that opens the way for the fuel towards the injector. No collar and you have a sudden start of flow (just when the increasing pressure of the element lifts the cone).
At the end of injection the damping effect is missing and here you also have a sudden shut down of the flow. Here I am not sure about what happens exactly. The risk of a pressure wave is higher and cause a second injection, depending on pop pressure and if there is a restriction orifice above the DV.

nozzle:
in general I would say it is the duration of injection that is just shorter. Only this might got provide more power but you simply have more time to inject more fuel. That is the original reason on stock engines with better nozzles: decreasing the duration of injection (the same amount of fuel is injected but within a shorter time will increase the efficiency=better mileage and lower emission).

I will collect different DVs for comparison. 616, 617a and 606 and my new custom made one to see the evolution.

How can I upload a xls file?

Tom

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-06-2008, 03:35 PM #105
I'm still having a little trouble believing the story. I see exactly what you mean now, but I'm not sure if it tells all. When the DV moves up (which it does the instant the plunger starts to push if the diesel is incompressible, it displaces some volume in the "injector room". This has to cause the pressure to rise, and if the system is incompressible, it must result in injection... right? I think I have to go learn about fluids, because I believe there is something non-obvious going on here... there is too much that just doesn't quite add up to me. It makes more sense to me if I think of the injector line as being sort of a pressure accumulator, not unlike the air accumulators in the 300TD suspension... If this were the case, if the injector line did indeed absorb some of the energy of the impulse provided by the injector then that would be related to the amount of deformation, which would be related to the restriction in the end (the injector).. that way, some of the swept volume doesn't make it out the end... I know my reasoning is hazy at best, I think this really has to be formulated mathematically to actually understand it, which I don't know how to do.. yet.

EDIT: changed the bold sentence to read "...some of the swept volume..." from "....some of the injection volume..." meaning that the swept volume of the pump element should be the sum total of the volume fuel injected provided there is no compressibility in the system.
GREASY_BEAST
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM #105

I'm still having a little trouble believing the story. I see exactly what you mean now, but I'm not sure if it tells all. When the DV moves up (which it does the instant the plunger starts to push if the diesel is incompressible, it displaces some volume in the "injector room". This has to cause the pressure to rise, and if the system is incompressible, it must result in injection... right? I think I have to go learn about fluids, because I believe there is something non-obvious going on here... there is too much that just doesn't quite add up to me. It makes more sense to me if I think of the injector line as being sort of a pressure accumulator, not unlike the air accumulators in the 300TD suspension... If this were the case, if the injector line did indeed absorb some of the energy of the impulse provided by the injector then that would be related to the amount of deformation, which would be related to the restriction in the end (the injector).. that way, some of the swept volume doesn't make it out the end... I know my reasoning is hazy at best, I think this really has to be formulated mathematically to actually understand it, which I don't know how to do.. yet.

EDIT: changed the bold sentence to read "...some of the swept volume..." from "....some of the injection volume..." meaning that the swept volume of the pump element should be the sum total of the volume fuel injected provided there is no compressibility in the system.

tomnik
Holset

12-07-2008, 04:28 AM #106
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0061534.html">http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0061534.html</a><!-- m -->
(not our DV but the principle is the same)

out of this I read that there is a gap between collar and DV cylinder that has also influence on damping. The smaller the gap the smaller the lost volume, but then tends to bounce back (depending on pop pressure).

collar width and location: smaller and the more towards the cone = earlier delivery
collar diameter: smaller =more damping (safer regarding double injection) but more back flow
no collar: max. earliest delivery, but higher risk of double injection (more fuel flowing in the line) and there is absolutely no damping= double injection.

This is just regarding the collar. Weight of DV, spring, pop pressure and line length (time for the reflection wave to arrive at the then closing DV) are not included.

Tom
tomnik
12-07-2008, 04:28 AM #106

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0061534.html">http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0061534.html</a><!-- m -->
(not our DV but the principle is the same)

out of this I read that there is a gap between collar and DV cylinder that has also influence on damping. The smaller the gap the smaller the lost volume, but then tends to bounce back (depending on pop pressure).

collar width and location: smaller and the more towards the cone = earlier delivery
collar diameter: smaller =more damping (safer regarding double injection) but more back flow
no collar: max. earliest delivery, but higher risk of double injection (more fuel flowing in the line) and there is absolutely no damping= double injection.

This is just regarding the collar. Weight of DV, spring, pop pressure and line length (time for the reflection wave to arrive at the then closing DV) are not included.

Tom

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-07-2008, 02:22 PM #107
That's cool! I wonder if increasing the pop pressure in conjunction with full cut DV's, and larger nozzles would lessen the likelihood of secondary injections?
GREASY_BEAST
12-07-2008, 02:22 PM #107

That's cool! I wonder if increasing the pop pressure in conjunction with full cut DV's, and larger nozzles would lessen the likelihood of secondary injections?

tomnik
Holset

12-08-2008, 12:22 AM #108
GREASY_BEAST That's cool! I wonder if increasing the pop pressure in conjunction with full cut DV's, and larger nozzles would lessen the likelihood of secondary injections?

I fear there are too many parameters influencing the DV tweaking. M and MW are not interchangeable. There are 2 versions in the MW of the 617a, I will check what is in my car currently (from a spare IP I have the better ones).
Further I will try to find a little harder springs. Then see how it goes (depending on the weather, I don't drive the car on salty roads).

Tom
tomnik
12-08-2008, 12:22 AM #108

GREASY_BEAST That's cool! I wonder if increasing the pop pressure in conjunction with full cut DV's, and larger nozzles would lessen the likelihood of secondary injections?

I fear there are too many parameters influencing the DV tweaking. M and MW are not interchangeable. There are 2 versions in the MW of the 617a, I will check what is in my car currently (from a spare IP I have the better ones).
Further I will try to find a little harder springs. Then see how it goes (depending on the weather, I don't drive the car on salty roads).

Tom

winmutt
bitbanger

12-08-2008, 04:29 PM #109
GREASY_BEAST I think if you do this you will break something, whether it be the internal camshaft in the IP, or something else. The pressure has to go somewhere. However, I think the MW pump is rated for some obscenely high working pressure, so within reason, the idea of increasing pop-pressures with cut DVs could be tried.. I kind of like it so far.. I think it would be more successful if it were done with larger injector nozzles.

One more thing:

The injection can't be just a simple sin(theta) because the injection pump has inside it a cam, with a profile, not a crank.

Per cylinder it is a simple sine wave. The idea still applies regardless of how many other cylnders exist.

There is certainly the chance to break the cam shaft. Someone has to have documentation on that max working pressure. Perhaps a Bosch shop? IDT there is a need to change the injector size as the nozzle is not the impeding force here, it is the pop pressure. I am sure the pump limit is much lower than the max flow.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM #109

GREASY_BEAST I think if you do this you will break something, whether it be the internal camshaft in the IP, or something else. The pressure has to go somewhere. However, I think the MW pump is rated for some obscenely high working pressure, so within reason, the idea of increasing pop-pressures with cut DVs could be tried.. I kind of like it so far.. I think it would be more successful if it were done with larger injector nozzles.

One more thing:

The injection can't be just a simple sin(theta) because the injection pump has inside it a cam, with a profile, not a crank.

Per cylinder it is a simple sine wave. The idea still applies regardless of how many other cylnders exist.

There is certainly the chance to break the cam shaft. Someone has to have documentation on that max working pressure. Perhaps a Bosch shop? IDT there is a need to change the injector size as the nozzle is not the impeding force here, it is the pop pressure. I am sure the pump limit is much lower than the max flow.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-08-2008, 07:09 PM #110
Quote:Per cylinder it is a simple sine wave. The idea still applies regardless of how many other cylnders exist.

Draw a picture of a cam lobe. You will see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: it's actually quite square (well, it exhibits square qualities...)
GREASY_BEAST
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM #110

Quote:Per cylinder it is a simple sine wave. The idea still applies regardless of how many other cylnders exist.

winmutt
bitbanger

12-09-2008, 08:02 PM #111
GREASY_BEAST

The cam lobe is an ellipsis with a smaller radius on the side that is not the shaft itself. In rotation this causes the plunger to rise and fall. This plunger movement very much a non square wave over time. The delivery valve acts to make the bottoms more square by setting a secondary pressure stop (making a cut off). If the DV was removed the wave would continue to decrease gradually.Removing material from the bottom of the collar means it pops earlier and closes later making the overall injection sequence longer.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
12-09-2008, 08:02 PM #111

GREASY_BEAST

The cam lobe is an ellipsis with a smaller radius on the side that is not the shaft itself. In rotation this causes the plunger to rise and fall. This plunger movement very much a non square wave over time. The delivery valve acts to make the bottoms more square by setting a secondary pressure stop (making a cut off). If the DV was removed the wave would continue to decrease gradually.Removing material from the bottom of the collar means it pops earlier and closes later making the overall injection sequence longer.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-09-2008, 08:08 PM #112
The pump cam is not like the engine cam. Its shaped to have a very fast rise for injection then a very slow return after the peak.
ForcedInduction
12-09-2008, 08:08 PM #112

The pump cam is not like the engine cam. Its shaped to have a very fast rise for injection then a very slow return after the peak.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-09-2008, 08:31 PM #113
Nice pic Forced! So its neither square nor sinusoidal, but something that looks like an ocean wave viewed from the side... Maybe the slow downstroke is to prevent cavitation?
GREASY_BEAST
12-09-2008, 08:31 PM #113

Nice pic Forced! So its neither square nor sinusoidal, but something that looks like an ocean wave viewed from the side... Maybe the slow downstroke is to prevent cavitation?

winmutt
bitbanger

12-09-2008, 11:23 PM #114
GREASY_BEAST Nice pic Forced! So its neither square nor sinusoidal, but something that looks like an ocean wave viewed from the side... Maybe the slow downstroke is to prevent cavitation?

!Its beautiful!

AND it makes complete sense. Particularly in reference to what I was talking about. They are making squarewaves, this is the leading edge and the delivery valve is making it square on the back end. By delaying the delaying the close of the the valve by removing material from the bottom of the collar you are increasing the injection time.

God I would love a Bosch bench. We need to make one.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM #114

GREASY_BEAST Nice pic Forced! So its neither square nor sinusoidal, but something that looks like an ocean wave viewed from the side... Maybe the slow downstroke is to prevent cavitation?

!Its beautiful!

AND it makes complete sense. Particularly in reference to what I was talking about. They are making squarewaves, this is the leading edge and the delivery valve is making it square on the back end. By delaying the delaying the close of the the valve by removing material from the bottom of the collar you are increasing the injection time.

God I would love a Bosch bench. We need to make one.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-10-2008, 03:25 PM #115
What does a Bosch testbench consist of? Basically, you want to measure the output of each plunger individually, right? So 5 graduated cylinders and a way to spin the thing?
GREASY_BEAST
12-10-2008, 03:25 PM #115

What does a Bosch testbench consist of? Basically, you want to measure the output of each plunger individually, right? So 5 graduated cylinders and a way to spin the thing?

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-10-2008, 05:12 PM #116
Plus about $100,000 worth of equipment with a 420volt stepper motor to spin the pump an exact number of turns.

[Image: Tst_Bh_Fuel_Injection_Pump_Test_Bench.jpg]

As simple as they look, nothing any of us do at home could come even remotely close to what those machines do. The best we could hope for is one to come onto the market used for cheap (under $10,000) and fix whatever may be wrong with it.
ForcedInduction
12-10-2008, 05:12 PM #116

Plus about $100,000 worth of equipment with a 420volt stepper motor to spin the pump an exact number of turns.

[Image: Tst_Bh_Fuel_Injection_Pump_Test_Bench.jpg]

As simple as they look, nothing any of us do at home could come even remotely close to what those machines do. The best we could hope for is one to come onto the market used for cheap (under $10,000) and fix whatever may be wrong with it.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

01-17-2009, 03:31 AM #117
Last insight for me on the cut DV:

It is simply the addition of volume from lost metal in the plunger cavity. This explains the overfueling and smoke at low throttle, whereas upper percentages of throttle seem normal.

the ratio of added fuel to stock fuel supply approaches 0:1 as throttle increases.

low throttle ratio of added fuel to stock could be 1:1

expecting the fuel delivery components to accurately 'add' volume due to expansion (especially after 25 years) completely negates the purpose of the $100,000 machine Forced has presented to the equation.
This post was last modified: 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM by totaldisaster.
totaldisaster
01-17-2009, 03:31 AM #117

Last insight for me on the cut DV:

It is simply the addition of volume from lost metal in the plunger cavity. This explains the overfueling and smoke at low throttle, whereas upper percentages of throttle seem normal.

the ratio of added fuel to stock fuel supply approaches 0:1 as throttle increases.

low throttle ratio of added fuel to stock could be 1:1

expecting the fuel delivery components to accurately 'add' volume due to expansion (especially after 25 years) completely negates the purpose of the $100,000 machine Forced has presented to the equation.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

01-21-2009, 03:54 PM #118
(01-17-2009, 03:31 AM)totaldisaster Last insight for me on the cut DV:

Not quite. The "added volume" or maybe "replaced volume" would have no effect on fuel delivered because it does not affect the swept volume of the pumping element. Just increasing the number of resident fuel molecules in the DV holder does not make more fuel molecules move when the plunger plunges. Its a combination of fluid effects. This stuff is available to read about. Google Patents isn't a bad place to look.

Also, the effect you described of the low-end power increasing while top-end power remains constant just wasn't present (at least in my case)... Top end power increased so drastically that it caused "massive" (or at least some) wheelspin and tranny slippage.
GREASY_BEAST
01-21-2009, 03:54 PM #118

(01-17-2009, 03:31 AM)totaldisaster Last insight for me on the cut DV:

Not quite. The "added volume" or maybe "replaced volume" would have no effect on fuel delivered because it does not affect the swept volume of the pumping element. Just increasing the number of resident fuel molecules in the DV holder does not make more fuel molecules move when the plunger plunges. Its a combination of fluid effects. This stuff is available to read about. Google Patents isn't a bad place to look.

Also, the effect you described of the low-end power increasing while top-end power remains constant just wasn't present (at least in my case)... Top end power increased so drastically that it caused "massive" (or at least some) wheelspin and tranny slippage.

winmutt
bitbanger

01-22-2009, 01:53 PM #119
AFAIK The only thing it does is increase the duration of the injection cycle, there by increasing the amount of fuel. The amount of fuel stroked is not the absolute amount of fuel delivered.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM #119

AFAIK The only thing it does is increase the duration of the injection cycle, there by increasing the amount of fuel. The amount of fuel stroked is not the absolute amount of fuel delivered.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

01-24-2009, 11:14 AM #120
Maybe my 35% overbore 265 nozzles courtesy of Jon Link will add some new information to the model! I'll start a new thread about this and link it here.

EDIT: Link to the Injector Nozzles thread

Injector Nozzles

(01-22-2009, 01:53 PM)winmutt AFAIK The only thing it does is increase the duration of the injection cycle, there by increasing the amount of fuel. The amount of fuel stroked is not the absolute amount of fuel delivered.
This post was last modified: 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM by GREASY_BEAST.
GREASY_BEAST
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM #120

Maybe my 35% overbore 265 nozzles courtesy of Jon Link will add some new information to the model! I'll start a new thread about this and link it here.

EDIT: Link to the Injector Nozzles thread

Injector Nozzles

(01-22-2009, 01:53 PM)winmutt AFAIK The only thing it does is increase the duration of the injection cycle, there by increasing the amount of fuel. The amount of fuel stroked is not the absolute amount of fuel delivered.

HoleshotHolset
Holset

04-08-2009, 11:27 PM #121
It's very good to see you guys still hammering out the details on the cut DV's.

I kinda feel like I lobbed a live grenade over the fence by introducing them to you - especially after seeing how they created a rough idle.

BUT - success doesn't come easy...and hats off to those willing to be guinea pigs on these Mercedes IDI engines.

A Mercedes IDI may be in my future soon. I'm growing very bored with my current daily driver and want something without a big payment in this 'interesting' economic climate. I haven't made up my mind as to whether to go with a W124 or W210....both have come WAY down in price over the past few years. The W210 would be the better daily driver - but much harder to crank up due to the electronic controls.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)
'99 W210.025 - gone, but not forgotten
'94 Dodge/Cummins - gone, but not forgotten
HoleshotHolset
04-08-2009, 11:27 PM #121

It's very good to see you guys still hammering out the details on the cut DV's.

I kinda feel like I lobbed a live grenade over the fence by introducing them to you - especially after seeing how they created a rough idle.

BUT - success doesn't come easy...and hats off to those willing to be guinea pigs on these Mercedes IDI engines.

A Mercedes IDI may be in my future soon. I'm growing very bored with my current daily driver and want something without a big payment in this 'interesting' economic climate. I haven't made up my mind as to whether to go with a W124 or W210....both have come WAY down in price over the past few years. The W210 would be the better daily driver - but much harder to crank up due to the electronic controls.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)

kamel
Naturally-aspirated SUCKS

04-09-2009, 12:27 AM #122
I would suggest the 124. My dad's 210 is falling to pieces with only 150,xxx on the clock. Sad

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs
kamel
04-09-2009, 12:27 AM #122

I would suggest the 124. My dad's 210 is falling to pieces with only 150,xxx on the clock. Sad

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs

HoleshotHolset
Holset

04-09-2009, 12:32 AM #123
(04-09-2009, 12:27 AM)kamel I would suggest the 124. My dad's 210 is falling to pieces with only 150,xxx on the clock. Sad

What exactly is giving up the ghost on that W210? See - it's comments like this that scare people away from the newer chassis! Smile

Getting the turbo'd OM606 with a W210 wrapped around it is tempting.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
04-09-2009, 12:32 AM #123

(04-09-2009, 12:27 AM)kamel I would suggest the 124. My dad's 210 is falling to pieces with only 150,xxx on the clock. Sad

What exactly is giving up the ghost on that W210? See - it's comments like this that scare people away from the newer chassis! Smile

Getting the turbo'd OM606 with a W210 wrapped around it is tempting.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-04-2009, 12:59 AM #124
Here are the DV's from the 617 and 606a M-Pumps.

The numbers are 102-201 and 102-210.

The 617 DV holder is marked 0.030, the 606a 0.024
This post was last modified: 09-04-2009, 01:01 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-04-2009, 12:59 AM #124

Here are the DV's from the 617 and 606a M-Pumps.

The numbers are 102-201 and 102-210.

The 617 DV holder is marked 0.030, the 606a 0.024

kamel
Naturally-aspirated SUCKS

09-04-2009, 01:54 AM #125
Interesting...

BTW: the aforementioned 210 wagon is to the point where the cost of repairs has grown larger than the value as a whole if everything worked. Its a clean comfy car, don't get me wrong but needs WAY too much maintenance and repair.

kamel
09-04-2009, 01:54 AM #125

Interesting...

BTW: the aforementioned 210 wagon is to the point where the cost of repairs has grown larger than the value as a whole if everything worked. Its a clean comfy car, don't get me wrong but needs WAY too much maintenance and repair.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-04-2009, 03:21 AM #126
They're in, but there is no discernible difference in power via the Butt-Dyno®. Just a more rattly idle and a less haze on the top-end. The #5 cylinder's nailing is more pronounced throughout the rpm range too.

I'll give it a week or two to decide if I'll switch back.
This post was last modified: 09-04-2009, 03:23 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-04-2009, 03:21 AM #126

They're in, but there is no discernible difference in power via the Butt-Dyno®. Just a more rattly idle and a less haze on the top-end. The #5 cylinder's nailing is more pronounced throughout the rpm range too.

I'll give it a week or two to decide if I'll switch back.

tomnik
Holset

09-04-2009, 05:55 AM #127
would be interesting if begin of injection changed, not static begin of delivery. Onlyif this is the same you can compare power.

Tom
tomnik
09-04-2009, 05:55 AM #127

would be interesting if begin of injection changed, not static begin of delivery. Onlyif this is the same you can compare power.

Tom

winmutt
bitbanger

09-04-2009, 08:48 AM #128
I am of the opinion that modifying the DV is a false economy. In the picture is om617 on the left?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM #128

I am of the opinion that modifying the DV is a false economy. In the picture is om617 on the left?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-04-2009, 01:03 PM #129
(09-04-2009, 08:48 AM)winmutt In the picture is om617 on the left?

Yes.
ForcedInduction
09-04-2009, 01:03 PM #129

(09-04-2009, 08:48 AM)winmutt In the picture is om617 on the left?

Yes.

winmutt
bitbanger

09-04-2009, 03:23 PM #130
IIRC then it looks like it has a greater volume than the om60x one. Odd that.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
09-04-2009, 03:23 PM #130

IIRC then it looks like it has a greater volume than the om60x one. Odd that.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-04-2009, 04:09 PM #131
(09-04-2009, 03:23 PM)winmutt IIRC then it looks like it has a greater volume than the om60x one. Odd that.

that would make sense as they have the same displacement, no?

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM #131

(09-04-2009, 03:23 PM)winmutt IIRC then it looks like it has a greater volume than the om60x one. Odd that.

that would make sense as they have the same displacement, no?

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-04-2009, 04:26 PM #132
(09-04-2009, 04:09 PM)SurfRodder that would make sense as they have the same displacement, no?

Per cylinder the 617 has more air volume, but the 606a pumps nearly 2x the fuel per cylinder.
ForcedInduction
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM #132

(09-04-2009, 04:09 PM)SurfRodder that would make sense as they have the same displacement, no?

Per cylinder the 617 has more air volume, but the 606a pumps nearly 2x the fuel per cylinder.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-04-2009, 05:47 PM #133
(09-04-2009, 04:26 PM)ForcedInduction Per cylinder the 617 has more air volume, but the 606a pumps nearly 2x the fuel per cylinder.

wow, I didnt know that... makes me wanna build up a 606 even more!

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-04-2009, 05:47 PM #133

(09-04-2009, 04:26 PM)ForcedInduction Per cylinder the 617 has more air volume, but the 606a pumps nearly 2x the fuel per cylinder.

wow, I didnt know that... makes me wanna build up a 606 even more!

OBK# 62

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-04-2009, 09:48 PM #134
(09-04-2009, 05:47 PM)SurfRodder wow, I didnt know that... makes me wanna build up a 606 even more!

Don't forget that I'm talking about the non-turbo 617. 88hp vs 178hp.
This post was last modified: 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-04-2009, 09:48 PM #134

(09-04-2009, 05:47 PM)SurfRodder wow, I didnt know that... makes me wanna build up a 606 even more!

Don't forget that I'm talking about the non-turbo 617. 88hp vs 178hp.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-07-2009, 11:17 PM #135
The original 617 DVs are back in. I couldn't stand the rattly idle any more.
ForcedInduction
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM #135

The original 617 DVs are back in. I couldn't stand the rattly idle any more.

Tymbrymi
Klatta Klatta

09-09-2009, 08:07 AM #136

How do you figure? That doesn't make any sense to me... They are the same displacement, and the 606 is a 4-valve crossflow head vs. a 2-valve counterflow head. Huh

John Robbins
'05 E320 CDI - 118k - Faaaaaast!! Angel
'87 300TD - 317k - Cracked head... but an OM606 is on the way! Undecided
'79 300SD - 295k - Bad engine = project car!
Tymbrymi
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM #136

How do you figure? That doesn't make any sense to me... They are the same displacement, and the 606 is a 4-valve crossflow head vs. a 2-valve counterflow head. Huh

John Robbins

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-09-2009, 10:59 AM #137
(09-09-2009, 08:07 AM)Tymbrymi How do you figure? That doesn't make any sense to me... They are the same displacement, and the 606 is a 4-valve crossflow head vs. a 2-valve counterflow head. Huh

617na pumps out 17.6hp/cyl.
606a is 29.7hp/cyl.
Even the 617a is 24hp/cyl.

A 617 would have to work 35.6hp/cyl to make the same 178hp as a 606a.
ForcedInduction
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM #137

(09-09-2009, 08:07 AM)Tymbrymi How do you figure? That doesn't make any sense to me... They are the same displacement, and the 606 is a 4-valve crossflow head vs. a 2-valve counterflow head. Huh

617na pumps out 17.6hp/cyl.
606a is 29.7hp/cyl.

Tymbrymi
Klatta Klatta

09-09-2009, 01:30 PM #138
(09-09-2009, 10:59 AM)ForcedInduction 617na pumps out 17.6hp/cyl.
606a is 29.7hp/cyl.

Sorry, I get the twice as much fuel part, but the 617 having twice the air volume is what confuses me.

John Robbins
Tymbrymi
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM #138

(09-09-2009, 10:59 AM)ForcedInduction 617na pumps out 17.6hp/cyl.
606a is 29.7hp/cyl.

Sorry, I get the twice as much fuel part, but the 617 having twice the air volume is what confuses me.

John Robbins

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-10-2009, 12:48 AM #139
Static volume per cylinder.
ForcedInduction
09-10-2009, 12:48 AM #139

Static volume per cylinder.

Tymbrymi
Klatta Klatta

09-10-2009, 08:44 AM #140
Ahhh... the per cylinder part is what I was missing. Each cylinder has more volume in it because the displacement is the same while there is one less cylinder in the 617. Correct?

John Robbins
Tymbrymi
09-10-2009, 08:44 AM #140

Ahhh... the per cylinder part is what I was missing. Each cylinder has more volume in it because the displacement is the same while there is one less cylinder in the 617. Correct?

John Robbins

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-10-2009, 11:21 AM #141
Yes. 90.9mm x 92.4mm vs 87mm x 84mm. The oversquare design is also another reason the Finns can revv the 60x to 7k.
The 3.5L 603 changed that to 89mm x 92.4mm.
This post was last modified: 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-10-2009, 11:21 AM #141

Yes. 90.9mm x 92.4mm vs 87mm x 84mm. The oversquare design is also another reason the Finns can revv the 60x to 7k.
The 3.5L 603 changed that to 89mm x 92.4mm.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

11-17-2009, 12:01 PM #142
I agree compressing a liquid is impossible but the fluid under pressure may expand the lines and housings and cause the pressure waves they where talking about!

like filling a balloon with water if you put a`hole in it it will spray out under pressure but the water didn't compress!

that's why explosives work well under water!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
11-17-2009, 12:01 PM #142

I agree compressing a liquid is impossible but the fluid under pressure may expand the lines and housings and cause the pressure waves they where talking about!

like filling a balloon with water if you put a`hole in it it will spray out under pressure but the water didn't compress!

that's why explosives work well under water!!!

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-17-2009, 12:16 PM #143
All substances are compressible, its known as bulk modulus.
Just because we can't easily see something with our eyes doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some people have a hard time believing we breathe 75% nitrogen (for example) because nitrogen and oxygen are both clear and odorless.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bulk-m...d_585.html

Even diamonds are compressible, 442 GPa, while air's BM is 0.000000142 GPa
This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 12:24 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM #143

All substances are compressible, its known as bulk modulus.
Just because we can't easily see something with our eyes doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some people have a hard time believing we breathe 75% nitrogen (for example) because nitrogen and oxygen are both clear and odorless.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bulk-m...d_585.html

Even diamonds are compressible, 442 GPa, while air's BM is 0.000000142 GPa

willbhere4u

11-17-2009, 02:50 PM #144
If you turn a fluid in to a gas then you can compress! in a liquid state is is impossible to compress!!!

if u put it under enough pressure to heat it and turn it in to a gas it will compress!

this is simple highs school science!!! fluids don't compress

willbhere4u
11-17-2009, 02:50 PM #144

If you turn a fluid in to a gas then you can compress! in a liquid state is is impossible to compress!!!

if u put it under enough pressure to heat it and turn it in to a gas it will compress!

this is simple highs school science!!! fluids don't compress

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-17-2009, 03:36 PM #145
(11-17-2009, 02:50 PM)willbhere4u If you turn a fluid in to a gas then you can compress! in a liquid state is is impossible to compress!!!
Look up "bulk modulus", its a well known scientific fact.

Quote:this is simple highs school science!
I think we've moved well beyond high school science here. Wink

FYI, gasses are fluids.
This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 03:36 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM #145

(11-17-2009, 02:50 PM)willbhere4u If you turn a fluid in to a gas then you can compress! in a liquid state is is impossible to compress!!!
Look up "bulk modulus", its a well known scientific fact.

Quote:this is simple highs school science!
I think we've moved well beyond high school science here. Wink

FYI, gasses are fluids.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-17-2009, 08:51 PM #146
(11-17-2009, 08:11 PM)Yagsicnal Son, have you graduated High School?
At this point I'm convinced you haven't even completed 1 year of college.

Did you even see the chart? Please, master, explain how they can come up with BM for fluids if they cannot be compressed?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1605]

How about The Indian Academy of Sciences? Is their research pseudoscience?
http://www.ias.ac.in/sadhana/Pdf2006Oct/543.pdf

Quote:We are speaking of fluids and fluid compressability is immeasureable, THEREFORE it is an unuseable commodity.
Immeasurable and insignificant to Joe Schmoe, but in hydraulic machines where timing is based on fluid movement it plays a big role, as the document I linked to concluded, to the engineer designing a precision device it presents an important factor to build into the design.

http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/...0094/Issue

Also, lets not forget that the entire concept of turbocharging revolves around bulk modulus.

Quote:Theory is nice but that is another subject.
Absolutely right, we are discussing known facts, not ideas.

Quote:Apparently you are the ...
Thats known as an "ad hominem attack" and it will not be tolerated. It is very insulting as well as factually incorrect. Do you really want to stoop down to that level?

Shall we bring out the old saying "Those that can't do, teach", professor?
This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-17-2009, 08:51 PM #146

(11-17-2009, 08:11 PM)Yagsicnal Son, have you graduated High School?
At this point I'm convinced you haven't even completed 1 year of college.

Did you even see the chart? Please, master, explain how they can come up with BM for fluids if they cannot be compressed?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1605]

How about The Indian Academy of Sciences? Is their research pseudoscience?
http://www.ias.ac.in/sadhana/Pdf2006Oct/543.pdf

Quote:We are speaking of fluids and fluid compressability is immeasureable, THEREFORE it is an unuseable commodity.
Immeasurable and insignificant to Joe Schmoe, but in hydraulic machines where timing is based on fluid movement it plays a big role, as the document I linked to concluded, to the engineer designing a precision device it presents an important factor to build into the design.

http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/...0094/Issue

Also, lets not forget that the entire concept of turbocharging revolves around bulk modulus.

Quote:Theory is nice but that is another subject.
Absolutely right, we are discussing known facts, not ideas.

Quote:Apparently you are the ...
Thats known as an "ad hominem attack" and it will not be tolerated. It is very insulting as well as factually incorrect. Do you really want to stoop down to that level?

Shall we bring out the old saying "Those that can't do, teach", professor?

Gurkha
Unregistered

11-17-2009, 08:56 PM #147
Dunno about ... but FI's advice are based on substance and I speak from experience.

Fluid is compressible, any change in volume (reduction) due to pressure is considered as compressibility. Mind you there is thermodynamics coming into play here as well. We are talking about density change in fluids if I am not mistaken. Compressibility of fluids is defined as 1 volume-% per 100 bar. In flight simulators servo systems for instance, this same compressibility plays a key part in its performance. Here compressibility is a least desired factor and so delivery valves are placed accordingly.
This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM by ForcedInduction.
Gurkha
11-17-2009, 08:56 PM #147

Dunno about ... but FI's advice are based on substance and I speak from experience.

Fluid is compressible, any change in volume (reduction) due to pressure is considered as compressibility. Mind you there is thermodynamics coming into play here as well. We are talking about density change in fluids if I am not mistaken. Compressibility of fluids is defined as 1 volume-% per 100 bar. In flight simulators servo systems for instance, this same compressibility plays a key part in its performance. Here compressibility is a least desired factor and so delivery valves are placed accordingly.

tomnik
Holset

11-18-2009, 05:50 AM #148
A few days ago I saw a diesel article where they said that the dynamics of injection (IP - injector) is closer to acoustic laws than to mechanical. The pressure waves running in the hard lines produce a lot higher pressure for opening and injection than just out of the IP. The running system is precisely tuned regarding hard line length, inner volume, nozzle spring and of course delivery valve.

The new custom nozzles are nailing like hell (that’s what my friend told me when he tested them). Now I’ll try to get them running by playing with the DV. Let’s see what turns out.

Tom
tomnik
11-18-2009, 05:50 AM #148

A few days ago I saw a diesel article where they said that the dynamics of injection (IP - injector) is closer to acoustic laws than to mechanical. The pressure waves running in the hard lines produce a lot higher pressure for opening and injection than just out of the IP. The running system is precisely tuned regarding hard line length, inner volume, nozzle spring and of course delivery valve.

The new custom nozzles are nailing like hell (that’s what my friend told me when he tested them). Now I’ll try to get them running by playing with the DV. Let’s see what turns out.

Tom

willbhere4u

11-18-2009, 02:24 PM #149
ya learn something new every day!!!

willbhere4u
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM #149

ya learn something new every day!!!