STD Tuning Drivetrain dual mass flywheel with pilot bearing removed

dual mass flywheel with pilot bearing removed

dual mass flywheel with pilot bearing removed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

unaleman
Naturally-aspirated

03-02-2010, 08:09 PM #1
I recently bought a 1994 e250d flywheel from UK e-bay with the idea that I would install it my 1987 300d with a five speed I salvaged from a 300e.

In the meantime I have been replacing a bad slave cylinder on a 1989 190e 2.6 with five speed. Soo... because I was not able to loosen the line to the slave, I ended up with the trans out of the car and, lo and behold, a dual mass flywheel that can not be turned. It also turns out that the flywheel I bought from the UK is also a dual mass flywheel. It is lighter than and has a pressure plate that is not as heavy duty as the 2.6 dual mass flywheel.

Since the five speed I have has the longer input shaft, I want to know if anyone has removed the pilot bearing from the center of a dual-mass and put the pilot bearing in the center of the crank shaft, old-style.

Can I install a '94 e250d dual mass flywheel, in the '87 300d with ('86) 5-speed with long input shaft?
unaleman
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM #1

I recently bought a 1994 e250d flywheel from UK e-bay with the idea that I would install it my 1987 300d with a five speed I salvaged from a 300e.

In the meantime I have been replacing a bad slave cylinder on a 1989 190e 2.6 with five speed. Soo... because I was not able to loosen the line to the slave, I ended up with the trans out of the car and, lo and behold, a dual mass flywheel that can not be turned. It also turns out that the flywheel I bought from the UK is also a dual mass flywheel. It is lighter than and has a pressure plate that is not as heavy duty as the 2.6 dual mass flywheel.

Since the five speed I have has the longer input shaft, I want to know if anyone has removed the pilot bearing from the center of a dual-mass and put the pilot bearing in the center of the crank shaft, old-style.

Can I install a '94 e250d dual mass flywheel, in the '87 300d with ('86) 5-speed with long input shaft?

JB3
Superturbo

03-02-2010, 09:30 PM #2
find out what the part number might be on replacing yours stock, and then compare with different years to see if it might work.

I usually just go to an online parts warehouse and put in all the info on one car, get the part number, then run another car and see if the part numbers are the same or different.

What does the dual mass flywheel look like, can you post a pic? What type is it, does it use a planetary gear or a primary/secondary with torsion springs and cushions? I wonder if that would have an impact on the pilot bearing?

You may just have to pull it out and compare in the end. My gut feeling is that they will probably use the same pilot bearing, but you never know

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM #2

find out what the part number might be on replacing yours stock, and then compare with different years to see if it might work.

I usually just go to an online parts warehouse and put in all the info on one car, get the part number, then run another car and see if the part numbers are the same or different.

What does the dual mass flywheel look like, can you post a pic? What type is it, does it use a planetary gear or a primary/secondary with torsion springs and cushions? I wonder if that would have an impact on the pilot bearing?

You may just have to pull it out and compare in the end. My gut feeling is that they will probably use the same pilot bearing, but you never know

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

03-02-2010, 10:09 PM #3
My understanding is a dual mass flywheel (DMF) is tuned to a specific motor, and it's torque and HP curve. Any changes to that will lead to a burned up flywheel.

Though it does an excellent job in reducing driveline vibration, I personally don't like them. There are several documented problems with the DMF in GM Duramax's, Ford Powerstrokes, Toyotas and Volkswagens.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
03-02-2010, 10:09 PM #3

My understanding is a dual mass flywheel (DMF) is tuned to a specific motor, and it's torque and HP curve. Any changes to that will lead to a burned up flywheel.

Though it does an excellent job in reducing driveline vibration, I personally don't like them. There are several documented problems with the DMF in GM Duramax's, Ford Powerstrokes, Toyotas and Volkswagens.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

03-02-2010, 10:13 PM #4
Transmissions that use dual-mass flywheels have a shorter input shaft because the pilot bearing is in the flywheel instead of in the crankshaft. Don't think that the inputshaft will fit through the pilot bearing hole.

The sell aftermarket performance clutches for dual-mass flywheels/transmissions, I don't think it would burn up the flywheel and he has an advantage its a diesel flywheel.
This post was last modified: 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM by Kozuka.
Kozuka
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM #4

Transmissions that use dual-mass flywheels have a shorter input shaft because the pilot bearing is in the flywheel instead of in the crankshaft. Don't think that the inputshaft will fit through the pilot bearing hole.

The sell aftermarket performance clutches for dual-mass flywheels/transmissions, I don't think it would burn up the flywheel and he has an advantage its a diesel flywheel.

unaleman
Naturally-aspirated

03-02-2010, 10:21 PM #5
clarification. what I want to do is remove the pilot bearing from the e250d flywheel, which will allow the longer shaft of my '86 five speed to project through and engage with the pilot bearing that I will put in the crankshaft end as if it were a single mass flywheel application. I have the single mass flywheel from the 300e but most seem to think that the diesel flywheels weigh more and that diesel engines (om603 in my case) need the greater mass for idle and bottom end power which is why I was surprised to see that the 2.6 dual mass flywheel is heavier than the e250d dual mass and the pressure plate from the 2.6 is built heavier also. Maybe, as the 240d flywheel is not as heavy as the unobtanium 300d om617 flywheel, the e250d om602 five cylinder flywheel is not as stout as a om603 6 cylinder flywheel. The guy at the brake and clutch place knew by the solid disc that the flywheel was dual mass and when he looked up the car(2.6) he said that a clutch kit was 440.00.. flywheel, disc and throwout bearing which again was a surprise because my indie said just the flywheel was 770.00 I will try to post pics soon. thanks again for all thoughts and advice.
unaleman
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM #5

clarification. what I want to do is remove the pilot bearing from the e250d flywheel, which will allow the longer shaft of my '86 five speed to project through and engage with the pilot bearing that I will put in the crankshaft end as if it were a single mass flywheel application. I have the single mass flywheel from the 300e but most seem to think that the diesel flywheels weigh more and that diesel engines (om603 in my case) need the greater mass for idle and bottom end power which is why I was surprised to see that the 2.6 dual mass flywheel is heavier than the e250d dual mass and the pressure plate from the 2.6 is built heavier also. Maybe, as the 240d flywheel is not as heavy as the unobtanium 300d om617 flywheel, the e250d om602 five cylinder flywheel is not as stout as a om603 6 cylinder flywheel. The guy at the brake and clutch place knew by the solid disc that the flywheel was dual mass and when he looked up the car(2.6) he said that a clutch kit was 440.00.. flywheel, disc and throwout bearing which again was a surprise because my indie said just the flywheel was 770.00 I will try to post pics soon. thanks again for all thoughts and advice.

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

03-03-2010, 01:52 PM #6
My Advice has always been if your using a transmission with the long input shaft use the single mass flywheel/clutch/pressure plate if your using a transmission with the short input shaft use a dual mass flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

If you stick to OM601/M103 flywheels you can pick up clutch/pressure plate kits for lots of power from SPEC and Clutchnet for around $300-600 dual mass will be $400-900 depending on what you want. You can have the brutal clutch that will hold the power but has no middle area only engaged and disengaged. The best of both worlds would probably be a Stage 3+ from SPEC. Hold probably around 400tq's and be somewhat street-drivable.
This post was last modified: 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM by Kozuka.
Kozuka
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM #6

My Advice has always been if your using a transmission with the long input shaft use the single mass flywheel/clutch/pressure plate if your using a transmission with the short input shaft use a dual mass flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

If you stick to OM601/M103 flywheels you can pick up clutch/pressure plate kits for lots of power from SPEC and Clutchnet for around $300-600 dual mass will be $400-900 depending on what you want. You can have the brutal clutch that will hold the power but has no middle area only engaged and disengaged. The best of both worlds would probably be a Stage 3+ from SPEC. Hold probably around 400tq's and be somewhat street-drivable.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average