STD Tuning Drivetrain 5-speed won't turn clockwise smoothly

5-speed won't turn clockwise smoothly

5-speed won't turn clockwise smoothly

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Brunhilde
Naturally-aspirated

02-17-2010, 12:10 AM #1
I'm kind of worried because I've got a Getrag 5-speed and I removed the seals for replacement (not sure if that's related to the issue at hand, though). Clockwise rotation of the input shaft is kinda difficult because it gets "blocked" then I can finesse it to go again...and so on, start and stop. It will rotate freely and easily counter-clockwise indefinitely, however. There's also a metallic rattle upon rotation now.

What have I done?

TIA,
B
Brunhilde
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM #1

I'm kind of worried because I've got a Getrag 5-speed and I removed the seals for replacement (not sure if that's related to the issue at hand, though). Clockwise rotation of the input shaft is kinda difficult because it gets "blocked" then I can finesse it to go again...and so on, start and stop. It will rotate freely and easily counter-clockwise indefinitely, however. There's also a metallic rattle upon rotation now.

What have I done?

TIA,
B

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

02-18-2010, 01:25 PM #2
(02-17-2010, 12:10 AM)Brunhilde I'm kind of worried because I've got a Getrag 5-speed and I removed the seals for replacement (not sure if that's related to the issue at hand, though). Clockwise rotation of the input shaft is kinda difficult because it gets "blocked" then I can finesse it to go again...and so on, start and stop. It will rotate freely and easily counter-clockwise indefinitely, however. There's also a metallic rattle upon rotation now.

What have I done?

TIA,
B

Does this happen in neutral? In gear? Or both?

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM #2

(02-17-2010, 12:10 AM)Brunhilde I'm kind of worried because I've got a Getrag 5-speed and I removed the seals for replacement (not sure if that's related to the issue at hand, though). Clockwise rotation of the input shaft is kinda difficult because it gets "blocked" then I can finesse it to go again...and so on, start and stop. It will rotate freely and easily counter-clockwise indefinitely, however. There's also a metallic rattle upon rotation now.

What have I done?

TIA,
B

Brunhilde
Naturally-aspirated

02-18-2010, 03:56 PM #3
Both!

(02-18-2010, 01:25 PM)DeliveryValve

What have I done?

TIA,
B

Brunhilde
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM #3

Both!

(02-18-2010, 01:25 PM)DeliveryValve

What have I done?

TIA,
B

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

02-18-2010, 04:23 PM #4
Well that is not a good sign. It should spin freely in neutral.

I would assume it would be time to open it up to see if anything broke or maybe some debris got in it. But maybe someone else would chime in for another opinion.

DeliveryValve
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM #4

Well that is not a good sign. It should spin freely in neutral.

I would assume it would be time to open it up to see if anything broke or maybe some debris got in it. But maybe someone else would chime in for another opinion.

Brunhilde
Naturally-aspirated

02-18-2010, 07:01 PM #5
Looks like when I tilt it forward (tail in the air more than 30* or so), things are nice and smooth in all directions. When I level it out too much, it seems to be catching on something when turning CW.

What the heck does this mean?
Brunhilde
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM #5

Looks like when I tilt it forward (tail in the air more than 30* or so), things are nice and smooth in all directions. When I level it out too much, it seems to be catching on something when turning CW.

What the heck does this mean?

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

02-18-2010, 09:28 PM #6
Didn't notice your post on PeachParts.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=271685

there's definitely more folks there to help you out.

I still think your going to have to open it up. Tilting it 30 degrees does seems like a foreign object is loose or an internal part is not secure.

DeliveryValve
02-18-2010, 09:28 PM #6

Didn't notice your post on PeachParts.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=271685

there's definitely more folks there to help you out.

I still think your going to have to open it up. Tilting it 30 degrees does seems like a foreign object is loose or an internal part is not secure.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average