STD Tuning Engine What to look for after being upside down...

What to look for after being upside down...

What to look for after being upside down...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nick
Big diesel's need lovin' too

02-14-2010, 11:34 PM #1
Alright guys, crazy shit here.. Im on the way to my girlfriends to pick her up for valentines day, you know typical wine 'n dine and a movie. Im going down a half-ass plowed country road and in my defensiveness to avoid an oncoming truck, I got sucked up onto a bank and my beloved Spike toppled helplessly onto his roof.

Now the car is fine, so far... Im going to replace the windshield and I got some nice dents to bang out. Angry

KEY POINT: I turned the engine off AS SOON AS THE CAR WAS UPSIDE DOWN.

The roll was cushioned by the snow, I had my seatbelt on. Hell I don't think I so much as blinked during the whole shabang. The first thing I thought was "shit shit shit turn the engine off" followed by a quick "where's my smokes.."

A wrecker came out and flipped Spike onto his feet, and for the sake of letting traffic through took the car to his place. It was funny because this was the same guy who towed Spike from where I bought him, to my house.

So I met up with the tow company and gave it a shot, the car started up first crank (it was still 40*c on the gauge) It smoked like hell but it ran, transmission works fine, shifts good through all gears. Drove hope without so much as a hiccup Big Grin

Now what do I get to look forward to in the future...? Undecided I'll upload some pics of the damage tomorrow..
Attached Files
Image(s)

1983 300CD "Spike" Stock, as of now.
Nick
02-14-2010, 11:34 PM #1

Alright guys, crazy shit here.. Im on the way to my girlfriends to pick her up for valentines day, you know typical wine 'n dine and a movie. Im going down a half-ass plowed country road and in my defensiveness to avoid an oncoming truck, I got sucked up onto a bank and my beloved Spike toppled helplessly onto his roof.

Now the car is fine, so far... Im going to replace the windshield and I got some nice dents to bang out. Angry

KEY POINT: I turned the engine off AS SOON AS THE CAR WAS UPSIDE DOWN.

The roll was cushioned by the snow, I had my seatbelt on. Hell I don't think I so much as blinked during the whole shabang. The first thing I thought was "shit shit shit turn the engine off" followed by a quick "where's my smokes.."

A wrecker came out and flipped Spike onto his feet, and for the sake of letting traffic through took the car to his place. It was funny because this was the same guy who towed Spike from where I bought him, to my house.

So I met up with the tow company and gave it a shot, the car started up first crank (it was still 40*c on the gauge) It smoked like hell but it ran, transmission works fine, shifts good through all gears. Drove hope without so much as a hiccup Big Grin

Now what do I get to look forward to in the future...? Undecided I'll upload some pics of the damage tomorrow..

Attached Files
Image(s)

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

02-14-2010, 11:58 PM #2
good time to inspect the undercarriage check you oil/ other fluids then fix dents and you have a good story to tell in the future did the oncoming truck at least stop after you rolled to see if you where ok???

I was in my 78 530I going up an icy road and a dick in a CRV who had plenty of room to let me bye stooped right in the middle of the road witch was really steep and covered in ice I in my rear wheel drive BMW could not stop going up or I would get stuck/ slide down back wards I had to swerve e to avoid him and got suck in to the ditch he just drove off leaving me stuck in the ditch on a remote country road in the Rockies fucking Honda driver!!!
This post was last modified: 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
02-14-2010, 11:58 PM #2

good time to inspect the undercarriage check you oil/ other fluids then fix dents and you have a good story to tell in the future did the oncoming truck at least stop after you rolled to see if you where ok???

I was in my 78 530I going up an icy road and a dick in a CRV who had plenty of room to let me bye stooped right in the middle of the road witch was really steep and covered in ice I in my rear wheel drive BMW could not stop going up or I would get stuck/ slide down back wards I had to swerve e to avoid him and got suck in to the ditch he just drove off leaving me stuck in the ditch on a remote country road in the Rockies fucking Honda driver!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

02-15-2010, 03:07 AM #3
Glad you were not seriously hurt, a testament of safety of a w123 design.

Without seeing the damage pictures, I can only speculate on the engine. Regarding the heavy smoke, my concern would be that too much oil would of soaked past the piston rings and into the cylinders. There is a possibility of hydrolocking the engine and bending the rods. So now and into the future I would keep an eye on oil consumption. A bent rod will make a cylinder oval over time and an inordinary amount of consumption occur. So keep an eye on that.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
02-15-2010, 03:07 AM #3

Glad you were not seriously hurt, a testament of safety of a w123 design.

Without seeing the damage pictures, I can only speculate on the engine. Regarding the heavy smoke, my concern would be that too much oil would of soaked past the piston rings and into the cylinders. There is a possibility of hydrolocking the engine and bending the rods. So now and into the future I would keep an eye on oil consumption. A bent rod will make a cylinder oval over time and an inordinary amount of consumption occur. So keep an eye on that.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

W116Lorinser
OM617.95

02-15-2010, 08:49 AM #4
Good Thing your allright.... But that is some funny ass shit. I had same thing happen to me couple years back in a friends bronco. Funny thing his car didn't come out looking as good as yoursSmile
W116Lorinser
02-15-2010, 08:49 AM #4

Good Thing your allright.... But that is some funny ass shit. I had same thing happen to me couple years back in a friends bronco. Funny thing his car didn't come out looking as good as yoursSmile

ForcedInduction
Banned

02-15-2010, 08:55 AM #5
Hey now, that doesn't look like a "stock" exhaust!

I'm glad you're okay. Definitely check the steering and suspension components but from the pictures it doesn't look very bad. Hows the topside look?
ForcedInduction
02-15-2010, 08:55 AM #5

Hey now, that doesn't look like a "stock" exhaust!

I'm glad you're okay. Definitely check the steering and suspension components but from the pictures it doesn't look very bad. Hows the topside look?

JB3
Superturbo

02-15-2010, 09:12 AM #6
Wow! That was lucky that, if you had to roll it, it was into a snowdrift cushion like that! Did the GF believe this excuse for not arriving?

I 2nd intensive front end check, and check on all fluid levels including tranny fluid, and diff oil, could have leaked out of the vents upside down like that for a little bit and be low.

Could oil have got up into the air filter as well upside down through the separator? Id look at the air filter as well, just in case it got saturated, or oil made it up in there.

Cant wait to see right side up pics

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
02-15-2010, 09:12 AM #6

Wow! That was lucky that, if you had to roll it, it was into a snowdrift cushion like that! Did the GF believe this excuse for not arriving?

I 2nd intensive front end check, and check on all fluid levels including tranny fluid, and diff oil, could have leaked out of the vents upside down like that for a little bit and be low.

Could oil have got up into the air filter as well upside down through the separator? Id look at the air filter as well, just in case it got saturated, or oil made it up in there.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Nick

02-15-2010, 10:14 AM #7
(02-14-2010, 11:58 PM)willbhere4u good time to inspect the undercarriage check you oil/ other fluids then fix dents and you have a good story to tell in the future did the oncoming truck at least stop after you rolled to see if you where ok???

I'll have to check fluids.. I know the tranny leaked through the vent and it's low. I babied it home the 1/4 mile from the tow shop.. I've got my eyes on the gauges from now on Undecided

And the guy stopped, luckily for me he was a kid I went to votech school with, he's into the volunteer fire department around here and dispatched the police and a tow truck within 10 mins.

I hear you on that bortha'! I went off the road in the ice/snow last winter in my 240D to avoid this minivan coming at me in the middle of the road, they kept going even though they slowed down and look at me like I was an alien. Angry
(02-15-2010, 03:07 AM)DeliveryValve Glad you were not seriously hurt, a testament of safety of a w123 design.

Im surprised im not hurt either. Not a single scratch, not so much as a bump to the head, nothing. The snow cushioned the whole thing, the roll was nice and easy, almost lackadaisical.

I know the engine never lost oil pressure while running, I killed it as soon as I landed upside down and the oil pressure creeped down like it normally would.

I'd hope no oil leaked past the rings Sad II did a compression test a few months ago. I can't find the paper with the exact numbers but they were all +/- 10 of 400psi. This thing was re-sleeved, new rings within a year or two ago. I'll have to look through my paperwork and find the rebuild sheet and the compression test numbers. I was kinda hoping the oil came in through the valve guides when it was flipped over.
(02-15-2010, 08:49 AM)W116Lorinser Good Thing your allright.... But that is some funny ass shit. I had same thing happen to me couple years back in a friends bronco. Funny thing his car didn't come out looking as good as yoursSmile

It was pretty funny, I texted my mom a pic of the car while she was working, forgot she was working the ER last night and that didn't go over good at all. Wait till you see the "after pics"
(02-15-2010, 08:55 AM)ForcedInduction Hey now, that doesn't look like a "stock" exhaust!

Shhhh! What exhaust? The idiot that had it before me has some kind of restrictive muffler on there. Had to correct that Smile

Im glad im ok too, Good thing I wear my seat belt religiously. I don't even feel right without it.

Im with you on the suspension.. Not so much from the roll but from how hard it landed on the d/s from being flipped over.

I'll post some pictures in the next few mins, surprisingly it's not too bad. The only thing that really pissed me off was the driver side mirror that I JUST REPLACED that morning, 20 mins before all this happened, got ripped off. Angry
(02-15-2010, 09:12 AM)dropnosky Wow! That was lucky that, if you had to roll it, it was into a snowdrift cushion like that! Did the GF believe this excuse for not arriving?

Yeah I feel a lot better about it rolling it snow, the only parts of the car that met road during the roll was the trip over the door on the driver side, the mirror got shredded off, and the trim for the windshield on the top got a little fubar.

She didn't believe me at all for a couple mins, then I had to call her back because my parents were both at work so she had to come get me. We wound up going to dinner in her Jeep Liberty, god I wish she would of got the CRD.

I will check the tranny/engine oil. Definitely. I never thought about the diff oil, good call on that!

I haven't really checked the air filter yet, that's a good idea since the separator could probably move a lot of oil into the filter being upside down.

Pics are on the way!
One more thing while my crackberry is transferring pics Smile

How would I check the rods for being bent? Should I go roll it again and pull the oil pan? I could possibly have a donor engine to swap rods from.
This post was last modified: 02-15-2010, 10:45 AM by Nick.

Nick
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM #7

(02-14-2010, 11:58 PM)willbhere4u good time to inspect the undercarriage check you oil/ other fluids then fix dents and you have a good story to tell in the future did the oncoming truck at least stop after you rolled to see if you where ok???

I'll have to check fluids.. I know the tranny leaked through the vent and it's low. I babied it home the 1/4 mile from the tow shop.. I've got my eyes on the gauges from now on Undecided

And the guy stopped, luckily for me he was a kid I went to votech school with, he's into the volunteer fire department around here and dispatched the police and a tow truck within 10 mins.

I hear you on that bortha'! I went off the road in the ice/snow last winter in my 240D to avoid this minivan coming at me in the middle of the road, they kept going even though they slowed down and look at me like I was an alien. Angry
(02-15-2010, 03:07 AM)DeliveryValve Glad you were not seriously hurt, a testament of safety of a w123 design.

Im surprised im not hurt either. Not a single scratch, not so much as a bump to the head, nothing. The snow cushioned the whole thing, the roll was nice and easy, almost lackadaisical.

I know the engine never lost oil pressure while running, I killed it as soon as I landed upside down and the oil pressure creeped down like it normally would.

I'd hope no oil leaked past the rings Sad II did a compression test a few months ago. I can't find the paper with the exact numbers but they were all +/- 10 of 400psi. This thing was re-sleeved, new rings within a year or two ago. I'll have to look through my paperwork and find the rebuild sheet and the compression test numbers. I was kinda hoping the oil came in through the valve guides when it was flipped over.
(02-15-2010, 08:49 AM)W116Lorinser Good Thing your allright.... But that is some funny ass shit. I had same thing happen to me couple years back in a friends bronco. Funny thing his car didn't come out looking as good as yoursSmile

It was pretty funny, I texted my mom a pic of the car while she was working, forgot she was working the ER last night and that didn't go over good at all. Wait till you see the "after pics"
(02-15-2010, 08:55 AM)ForcedInduction Hey now, that doesn't look like a "stock" exhaust!

Shhhh! What exhaust? The idiot that had it before me has some kind of restrictive muffler on there. Had to correct that Smile

Im glad im ok too, Good thing I wear my seat belt religiously. I don't even feel right without it.

Im with you on the suspension.. Not so much from the roll but from how hard it landed on the d/s from being flipped over.

I'll post some pictures in the next few mins, surprisingly it's not too bad. The only thing that really pissed me off was the driver side mirror that I JUST REPLACED that morning, 20 mins before all this happened, got ripped off. Angry
(02-15-2010, 09:12 AM)dropnosky Wow! That was lucky that, if you had to roll it, it was into a snowdrift cushion like that! Did the GF believe this excuse for not arriving?

Yeah I feel a lot better about it rolling it snow, the only parts of the car that met road during the roll was the trip over the door on the driver side, the mirror got shredded off, and the trim for the windshield on the top got a little fubar.

She didn't believe me at all for a couple mins, then I had to call her back because my parents were both at work so she had to come get me. We wound up going to dinner in her Jeep Liberty, god I wish she would of got the CRD.

I will check the tranny/engine oil. Definitely. I never thought about the diff oil, good call on that!

I haven't really checked the air filter yet, that's a good idea since the separator could probably move a lot of oil into the filter being upside down.

Pics are on the way!
One more thing while my crackberry is transferring pics Smile

How would I check the rods for being bent? Should I go roll it again and pull the oil pan? I could possibly have a donor engine to swap rods from.

Nick

02-15-2010, 11:19 AM #8
The roof:
[Image: IMG00063-20100216-1033.jpg]

[Image: IMG00065-20100216-1033.jpg]

The trim that met the road:
[Image: IMG00066-20100216-1033.jpg]

#$**^$(^ mirror!! and a nice dent that keeps the door from opening:
[Image: IMG00069-20100216-1034.jpg]

[Image: IMG00075-20100216-1035.jpg]

Nice dent in the roof, chipping paint.
[Image: IMG00076-20100216-1035.jpg]

More of the trim, this thing rolled drivers side first.
[Image: IMG00078-20100216-1036.jpg]

My custom headlight housing, broken. (I separated the housing and painted the "fins" black to match the grille.)
[Image: IMG00087-20100216-1038.jpg]

Nicely matched.
[Image: IMG00088-20100216-1038.jpg]

Some transmission fluid.
[Image: IMG00091-20100216-1039.jpg]

Good thing i've been putting off installing the hood pad..
[Image: IMG00093-20100216-1040.jpg]

Battery drain was dry, checked this as soon as the put Spike on his feet.
[Image: IMG00094-20100216-1040.jpg]

Wear your seat belts! They could of hurt.. (190lbs.)
[Image: IMG00095-20100216-1040.jpg]

Some hood scrapage, you can see how the corner light got squeezed out of it's socket.
[Image: IMG00098-20100216-1041.jpg]
This post was last modified: 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM by Nick.

Nick
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM #8

The roof:
[Image: IMG00063-20100216-1033.jpg]

[Image: IMG00065-20100216-1033.jpg]

The trim that met the road:
[Image: IMG00066-20100216-1033.jpg]

#$**^$(^ mirror!! and a nice dent that keeps the door from opening:
[Image: IMG00069-20100216-1034.jpg]

[Image: IMG00075-20100216-1035.jpg]

Nice dent in the roof, chipping paint.
[Image: IMG00076-20100216-1035.jpg]

More of the trim, this thing rolled drivers side first.
[Image: IMG00078-20100216-1036.jpg]

My custom headlight housing, broken. (I separated the housing and painted the "fins" black to match the grille.)
[Image: IMG00087-20100216-1038.jpg]

Nicely matched.
[Image: IMG00088-20100216-1038.jpg]

Some transmission fluid.
[Image: IMG00091-20100216-1039.jpg]

Good thing i've been putting off installing the hood pad..
[Image: IMG00093-20100216-1040.jpg]

Battery drain was dry, checked this as soon as the put Spike on his feet.
[Image: IMG00094-20100216-1040.jpg]

Wear your seat belts! They could of hurt.. (190lbs.)
[Image: IMG00095-20100216-1040.jpg]

Some hood scrapage, you can see how the corner light got squeezed out of it's socket.
[Image: IMG00098-20100216-1041.jpg]

Nick

02-16-2010, 06:07 PM #9
I drove the car to school today, a 60 mile commute. It ran great! For the first 10-15 miles it belched white smoke from a stop, definitely smelled like oil. But it cleared up quickly and is now back to it's smoke free norm.

Does anyone know if the windshields from the sedans will fit in a coupe? I have a perfect windshield in my 240D and want to swap it if possible.

I am going to do another compression test tomorrow, and change out all the fluids for the hell of it. Will keep you all posted.

Nick
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM #9

I drove the car to school today, a 60 mile commute. It ran great! For the first 10-15 miles it belched white smoke from a stop, definitely smelled like oil. But it cleared up quickly and is now back to it's smoke free norm.

Does anyone know if the windshields from the sedans will fit in a coupe? I have a perfect windshield in my 240D and want to swap it if possible.

I am going to do another compression test tomorrow, and change out all the fluids for the hell of it. Will keep you all posted.

ForcedInduction
Banned

02-16-2010, 09:39 PM #10
(02-16-2010, 06:07 PM)Nick Does anyone know if the windshields from the sedans will fit in a coupe?

No, the coupe roofline is lower.
ForcedInduction
02-16-2010, 09:39 PM #10

(02-16-2010, 06:07 PM)Nick Does anyone know if the windshields from the sedans will fit in a coupe?

No, the coupe roofline is lower.

JB3
Superturbo

02-17-2010, 02:25 PM #11
Thats it?! Any damage to the function of the sunroof?

Boy are you lucky! Look at what this guy did- http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...+my+diesel

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
02-17-2010, 02:25 PM #11

Thats it?! Any damage to the function of the sunroof?

Boy are you lucky! Look at what this guy did- http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...+my+diesel

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Nick

02-17-2010, 04:05 PM #12
Yup, that's it. The sunroof does work too! I just checked it, I was kinda scared to open it after that but it opens all the way up, and closes. Wild..

Shewwww.. im glad that didn't happen to me.. That guy's lucky he came out of that alright. Good thing I shut the engine down quickly I'd be scared shitless sitting behind a runaway 617..

Nick
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM #12

Yup, that's it. The sunroof does work too! I just checked it, I was kinda scared to open it after that but it opens all the way up, and closes. Wild..

Shewwww.. im glad that didn't happen to me.. That guy's lucky he came out of that alright. Good thing I shut the engine down quickly I'd be scared shitless sitting behind a runaway 617..

CID Vicious
Unregistered

02-18-2010, 11:34 AM #13
Having read your story, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about the whole 'hyrdolocking' scenario. I don't know how long the car was on it's roof but I'm assuming that since it got to sit for longer right side up afterwards before you started it back up, the oil would have had time to drain back. Especially since the motor would have cooled and the rings would have shrunk back to their cold size.

Pop that fender off and see if you can adjust it so you don't screw the door up any more than it already is. If the mounting holes aren't large enough to give you adjustment you can open them up slightly towards the rear to slide the fender forward. It's not like you'd be damaging a pristine panel anyway.

Time to find a 300CD in the yard with it's trim intact and with a good roof panel...you could probably get away with just replacing the front section and you'll want to do that before replacing the windshield.

That bit about the pack of smokes was funny, I'd have essentially done the same thing only it'd be 'where's my weed, and do I have enough time to pack a bowl before the cops show up?' Big Grin
CID Vicious
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM #13

Having read your story, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about the whole 'hyrdolocking' scenario. I don't know how long the car was on it's roof but I'm assuming that since it got to sit for longer right side up afterwards before you started it back up, the oil would have had time to drain back. Especially since the motor would have cooled and the rings would have shrunk back to their cold size.

Pop that fender off and see if you can adjust it so you don't screw the door up any more than it already is. If the mounting holes aren't large enough to give you adjustment you can open them up slightly towards the rear to slide the fender forward. It's not like you'd be damaging a pristine panel anyway.

Time to find a 300CD in the yard with it's trim intact and with a good roof panel...you could probably get away with just replacing the front section and you'll want to do that before replacing the windshield.

That bit about the pack of smokes was funny, I'd have essentially done the same thing only it'd be 'where's my weed, and do I have enough time to pack a bowl before the cops show up?' Big Grin

Nick

02-18-2010, 07:42 PM #14
(02-18-2010, 11:34 AM)CID Vicious Having read your story, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about the whole 'hyrdolocking' scenario. I don't know how long the car was on it's roof but I'm assuming that since it got to sit for longer right side up afterwards before you started it back up, the oil would have had time to drain back. Especially since the motor would have cooled and the rings would have shrunk back to their cold size.

I like the way you think man, because you're right about the oil draining back. It was upside down for roughly 15 mins and was right side up again for at least 45 mins. Im going to say that the oil made it's way up to the valve cover and leaked in past the valve stem seals. 'Cause it would only smoke hard when I got on it.

And I found one in a local yard that I know is in-tact, only problem is it's buried in a 10' snow drift. Either I can dig it out, and hopefully remove the windshield and trim like an edjamucated amature.. or I have to wait until the snow melts. On the other hand I can buy a 280CE for $400 with a dead motor, good everything else, and swap my motor and stuff into it.

And LMFAO, yeah i hear ya.. I actually smoke ZigZag, which is a roll it yourself kinda deal. I just grabbed a Camel out of a lost pack that wound up on the roof, I didn't wanna look like I was hitting spliff when the cops showed up Big Grin
I forgot..

I'll try that with the fender. It's not really bent out of shape other than the dent in it. I think I need to adjust the door so it will actually shut all the way.. and it's been like that since I got the car I've tried adjusting it a million times. Maybe i'll go play around with the striker, haven't tried that yet.
This post was last modified: 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM by Nick.

Nick
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM #14

(02-18-2010, 11:34 AM)CID Vicious Having read your story, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about the whole 'hyrdolocking' scenario. I don't know how long the car was on it's roof but I'm assuming that since it got to sit for longer right side up afterwards before you started it back up, the oil would have had time to drain back. Especially since the motor would have cooled and the rings would have shrunk back to their cold size.

I like the way you think man, because you're right about the oil draining back. It was upside down for roughly 15 mins and was right side up again for at least 45 mins. Im going to say that the oil made it's way up to the valve cover and leaked in past the valve stem seals. 'Cause it would only smoke hard when I got on it.

And I found one in a local yard that I know is in-tact, only problem is it's buried in a 10' snow drift. Either I can dig it out, and hopefully remove the windshield and trim like an edjamucated amature.. or I have to wait until the snow melts. On the other hand I can buy a 280CE for $400 with a dead motor, good everything else, and swap my motor and stuff into it.

And LMFAO, yeah i hear ya.. I actually smoke ZigZag, which is a roll it yourself kinda deal. I just grabbed a Camel out of a lost pack that wound up on the roof, I didn't wanna look like I was hitting spliff when the cops showed up Big Grin
I forgot..

I'll try that with the fender. It's not really bent out of shape other than the dent in it. I think I need to adjust the door so it will actually shut all the way.. and it's been like that since I got the car I've tried adjusting it a million times. Maybe i'll go play around with the striker, haven't tried that yet.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

02-18-2010, 10:19 PM #15
I find that while a lot of the brains out there on these auto forums are great at identifying possible problems and solutions they (and I) don't always have great follow through. It just made sense to me that if it could leak past hot, sealed rings in 15 minutes upside down, then multiples of that right side up with colder rings should at least prevent hydrolocking. You've probably got some gunked up cylinders now, though, maybe it's time for a famous Super Turbo Diesel pressure washer cylinder clean (ask Forced or Winmutt, one of them has done it before I think). I'd definitely be running some Diesel Kleen or something like that myself.

However for flipping a car you and it came out pretty damn ok. Oh, and that R107, I don't think I could resist pulling the lever on that myself for 400 bucks. If not a 617, then a 4.2l M117 V8, surely Big Grin.
CID Vicious
02-18-2010, 10:19 PM #15

I find that while a lot of the brains out there on these auto forums are great at identifying possible problems and solutions they (and I) don't always have great follow through. It just made sense to me that if it could leak past hot, sealed rings in 15 minutes upside down, then multiples of that right side up with colder rings should at least prevent hydrolocking. You've probably got some gunked up cylinders now, though, maybe it's time for a famous Super Turbo Diesel pressure washer cylinder clean (ask Forced or Winmutt, one of them has done it before I think). I'd definitely be running some Diesel Kleen or something like that myself.

However for flipping a car you and it came out pretty damn ok. Oh, and that R107, I don't think I could resist pulling the lever on that myself for 400 bucks. If not a 617, then a 4.2l M117 V8, surely Big Grin.

Nick

02-23-2010, 05:03 PM #16
(02-18-2010, 10:19 PM)CID Vicious I find that while a lot of the brains out there on these auto forums are great at identifying possible problems and solutions they (and I) don't always have great follow through. It just made sense to me that if it could leak past hot, sealed rings in 15 minutes upside down, then multiples of that right side up with colder rings should at least prevent hydrolocking. You've probably got some gunked up cylinders now, though, maybe it's time for a famous Super Turbo Diesel pressure washer cylinder clean (ask Forced or Winmutt, one of them has done it before I think). I'd definitely be running some Diesel Kleen or something like that myself.

It started up first crank like it always did. It only smoked for about 2 minutes at idle, and would only smoke heavily if I really got on it, this kinda makes me lean towards valve seals or something in the top end, the engine had really good compression numbers before the accident, I'll be checking it again this weekend whenever I get my heat shields in the mail. I'd hope that not too much oil could have slipped past the rings with the engine hot like that.. Undecided

I'll be replacing valve stem seals this spring for the heck of it, hopefully that will help with idle smoke when cold, although it's not a big problem.

That other coupe is a W123, I guess it's not a 280 then.. I don't remember exactly what it was but i'll be going out to check it out thoroughly with my camera and make a thread before I pull the trigger on it. The guy selling it is a richie, owns a golf course.. I could get it for a song but I want to see what im getting.

Nick
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM #16

(02-18-2010, 10:19 PM)CID Vicious I find that while a lot of the brains out there on these auto forums are great at identifying possible problems and solutions they (and I) don't always have great follow through. It just made sense to me that if it could leak past hot, sealed rings in 15 minutes upside down, then multiples of that right side up with colder rings should at least prevent hydrolocking. You've probably got some gunked up cylinders now, though, maybe it's time for a famous Super Turbo Diesel pressure washer cylinder clean (ask Forced or Winmutt, one of them has done it before I think). I'd definitely be running some Diesel Kleen or something like that myself.

It started up first crank like it always did. It only smoked for about 2 minutes at idle, and would only smoke heavily if I really got on it, this kinda makes me lean towards valve seals or something in the top end, the engine had really good compression numbers before the accident, I'll be checking it again this weekend whenever I get my heat shields in the mail. I'd hope that not too much oil could have slipped past the rings with the engine hot like that.. Undecided

I'll be replacing valve stem seals this spring for the heck of it, hopefully that will help with idle smoke when cold, although it's not a big problem.

That other coupe is a W123, I guess it's not a 280 then.. I don't remember exactly what it was but i'll be going out to check it out thoroughly with my camera and make a thread before I pull the trigger on it. The guy selling it is a richie, owns a golf course.. I could get it for a song but I want to see what im getting.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average