STD Tuning Engine how to make a cheap boost guage out of junk for 617 engines

how to make a cheap boost guage out of junk for 617 engines

how to make a cheap boost guage out of junk for 617 engines

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

turbo85
garret/air research T3 turbocharged

02-03-2010, 12:05 PM #1
first thing is first when you got to get you r-134a recharge canister get the one that has the little gauge with the fine threads on it it will screww directly onto a 617 turbo manifold where the allen screw goes back by the transmission dipstick you can attach a air hose made of thick rubber and nylon belted (my choice for durable due to vibration rubbing high heat and other things) or any air line lying aroung the house and simply plug and play i got my guage from a used r-134a recharge canister so for about 10-18 bucks i got a fully charged ac system and a new boost guage you may pm me if you have any questions!
turbo85
02-03-2010, 12:05 PM #1

first thing is first when you got to get you r-134a recharge canister get the one that has the little gauge with the fine threads on it it will screww directly onto a 617 turbo manifold where the allen screw goes back by the transmission dipstick you can attach a air hose made of thick rubber and nylon belted (my choice for durable due to vibration rubbing high heat and other things) or any air line lying aroung the house and simply plug and play i got my guage from a used r-134a recharge canister so for about 10-18 bucks i got a fully charged ac system and a new boost guage you may pm me if you have any questions!

ForcedInduction
Banned

02-03-2010, 01:52 PM #2
Won't work. The low side operates at 30-45psi and is around 90-100psi when off. That means the gauges are going to have a very small operating range with boost. It won't be accurate either, they are basically cheap go/no-go gauges, not instruments.

Those bottles are also known as "death in a can" and should be avoided at all costs. The A/C system should be charged using high and low side instruments, an accurate scale and a new receiver/dryer. Guessing the volume based on low side pressure alone is a great way to kill the compressor.
ForcedInduction
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM #2

Won't work. The low side operates at 30-45psi and is around 90-100psi when off. That means the gauges are going to have a very small operating range with boost. It won't be accurate either, they are basically cheap go/no-go gauges, not instruments.

Those bottles are also known as "death in a can" and should be avoided at all costs. The A/C system should be charged using high and low side instruments, an accurate scale and a new receiver/dryer. Guessing the volume based on low side pressure alone is a great way to kill the compressor.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average