STD Other Projects Wyle's 240D

Wyle's 240D

Wyle's 240D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wyle E Coyote
Unregistered

02-02-2010, 06:04 AM #1
Hello everyone! I've had my 240D for about 3 years (and 100k miles) now, and recently I've been interested in doing some playing with it. Frankly, I'm tired of the lack of performance. So I'm considering swapping in an OM617 or other MB diesel for some help. Here's a little bit about the car:

Got it about 3 years ago from my father-in-law whom was the second owner, and had it for about 15 years. The first 10 years it lived in Las Vegas, then at some point it made it to the Boise Idaho area, where my father-in-law bought it. The last 4-5 years before I got it, he kinda fell out of love with it, and it sat alot. I drove it home to Oregon without any trouble when I got it. later I moved to the Boise area, so it's back home, of sorts. Cool

I like the car, but it would be better if it could get up and run better than it does. I want it to remain a diesel, so that adds to the challenge. Otherwise, I have a couple of 440 chryslers that I'd just drop in. Other plans call for a 5-speed conversion, but I understand that that conversion is the one everyone looks into. So we shall see I guess.

I just wanted to introduce myself and start a thread regarding my car.

Wyle E Coyote
02-02-2010, 06:04 AM #1

Hello everyone! I've had my 240D for about 3 years (and 100k miles) now, and recently I've been interested in doing some playing with it. Frankly, I'm tired of the lack of performance. So I'm considering swapping in an OM617 or other MB diesel for some help. Here's a little bit about the car:

Got it about 3 years ago from my father-in-law whom was the second owner, and had it for about 15 years. The first 10 years it lived in Las Vegas, then at some point it made it to the Boise Idaho area, where my father-in-law bought it. The last 4-5 years before I got it, he kinda fell out of love with it, and it sat alot. I drove it home to Oregon without any trouble when I got it. later I moved to the Boise area, so it's back home, of sorts. Cool

I like the car, but it would be better if it could get up and run better than it does. I want it to remain a diesel, so that adds to the challenge. Otherwise, I have a couple of 440 chryslers that I'd just drop in. Other plans call for a 5-speed conversion, but I understand that that conversion is the one everyone looks into. So we shall see I guess.

I just wanted to introduce myself and start a thread regarding my car.

JB3
Superturbo

02-05-2010, 09:03 PM #2
very clean!

What kind of rims are those?

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
02-05-2010, 09:03 PM #2

very clean!

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

Wyle E Coyote
Unregistered

02-07-2010, 01:36 AM #3
(02-05-2010, 09:03 PM)dropnosky very clean!

Thanks! Cool

I'll have to ask my brother again, but as I recall they are for early Ford Ranger mini trucks. The pattern is so close that if you have the holes offset bored a few thousdandths of an inch, it makes the 5 x 100mm pattern. My brother ran them on his 70 Westfalia for years before getting out of ACVWs all together a couple of years ago. Didn't like it at first really. The look didn't really go with the car in my book, but it grew on me. Everyone seems to like the look, so I may take it further. Curb feelers, old-school external window mount A/C unit, etc. Rolleyes

Despite appearances, she's in need of some love. Once I can get one of my other rigs roadworthy, I can dig into it. I'm suspecting a front suspension rebuild is in order, as well as resealing the oil leaks on the motor. Considering upping to an OM617 (or similar) with a 5-speed conversion (probably NV4500), but I need to locate a good motor (or two) first.
Wyle E Coyote
02-07-2010, 01:36 AM #3

(02-05-2010, 09:03 PM)dropnosky very clean!

Thanks! Cool

I'll have to ask my brother again, but as I recall they are for early Ford Ranger mini trucks. The pattern is so close that if you have the holes offset bored a few thousdandths of an inch, it makes the 5 x 100mm pattern. My brother ran them on his 70 Westfalia for years before getting out of ACVWs all together a couple of years ago. Didn't like it at first really. The look didn't really go with the car in my book, but it grew on me. Everyone seems to like the look, so I may take it further. Curb feelers, old-school external window mount A/C unit, etc. Rolleyes

Despite appearances, she's in need of some love. Once I can get one of my other rigs roadworthy, I can dig into it. I'm suspecting a front suspension rebuild is in order, as well as resealing the oil leaks on the motor. Considering upping to an OM617 (or similar) with a 5-speed conversion (probably NV4500), but I need to locate a good motor (or two) first.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average