STD Tuning Engine What if any intake/exhaust options for OM616/617

What if any intake/exhaust options for OM616/617

What if any intake/exhaust options for OM616/617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

btrapr
Unregistered

01-31-2010, 10:03 AM #1
From time to time I have seen where people listed mods that were done to the Mercedes and at times it listed other intake/exhaust manifolds.

What options are there for using other intakes and exhaust manifolds on the following;

OM616 Diesel 4 cylinder- intake and exhaust as I am going to put a Turbo on mine! (5-6.5lbs of boost)! I saw where a Honda manifold was used just do not remember where and if it was intake/exhaust??? I need some sort of an exhaust manifold for a Turbo. I have considered having someone making a tube header...BUT I am hoping there is something already made, I just do not know the spread/tube specs to figure it out.

OM617 Diesel 5 cylinder- I am looking for some options to improve the flow on the intake/exhaust side...perhaps a different more easily spooled turbo.

I recently saw an 83 Mercedes 300SD where the person listed a 94 Cobra intake and yet another where a Honda was listed on a 4 cylinder BUT I have gotten any responses to clarify!

Thanks in adfvance Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-31-2010, 10:06 AM by btrapr.
btrapr
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM #1

From time to time I have seen where people listed mods that were done to the Mercedes and at times it listed other intake/exhaust manifolds.

What options are there for using other intakes and exhaust manifolds on the following;

OM616 Diesel 4 cylinder- intake and exhaust as I am going to put a Turbo on mine! (5-6.5lbs of boost)! I saw where a Honda manifold was used just do not remember where and if it was intake/exhaust??? I need some sort of an exhaust manifold for a Turbo. I have considered having someone making a tube header...BUT I am hoping there is something already made, I just do not know the spread/tube specs to figure it out.

OM617 Diesel 5 cylinder- I am looking for some options to improve the flow on the intake/exhaust side...perhaps a different more easily spooled turbo.

I recently saw an 83 Mercedes 300SD where the person listed a 94 Cobra intake and yet another where a Honda was listed on a 4 cylinder BUT I have gotten any responses to clarify!

Thanks in adfvance Big Grin

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

01-31-2010, 11:37 AM #2
on the 617 you can grab an older style intake and it will work with some hose modifications! but the turbo exhaust manifold works great! the biggest upgrade is to get a VNT turbo and make an adapter to fit it!

look through some old post to the performance engine section there's a lot of great info on there
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/engine-f-7.html

as for the 616 I an running the old style 200/220/earlier 240 manifolds with an adapter to the turbo it's an old school turbo kit I'll probably change the adapter and turbo in the future for some thing more efficient! Some people on the here have used a 5cyl turbo manifold and blocked off the last cylinder and put it on there its got a nice T3 flange!!!

here are some pic's of my 240d turbo build
http://superturbodiesel.com/std/240-turbo-t-1055.html
This post was last modified: 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
01-31-2010, 11:37 AM #2

on the 617 you can grab an older style intake and it will work with some hose modifications! but the turbo exhaust manifold works great! the biggest upgrade is to get a VNT turbo and make an adapter to fit it!

look through some old post to the performance engine section there's a lot of great info on there
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/engine-f-7.html

as for the 616 I an running the old style 200/220/earlier 240 manifolds with an adapter to the turbo it's an old school turbo kit I'll probably change the adapter and turbo in the future for some thing more efficient! Some people on the here have used a 5cyl turbo manifold and blocked off the last cylinder and put it on there its got a nice T3 flange!!!

here are some pic's of my 240d turbo build
http://superturbodiesel.com/std/240-turbo-t-1055.html

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

CID Vicious
Unregistered

02-05-2010, 07:54 PM #3
Get a 3" intake tube with a 45 degree bend at the end of about a foot, foot and a half or so of pipe and get your choice of filter. Remove the EGR butterfly, add a modified tight 2" 90 degree ABS pipe from Home Depot, easily the best bang-for-buck mod for the 616 and you'll use it when you add the turbo. Use a 300D exhaust from a parts car, best bang for buck exhaust upgrade. Remove the forward resonator if you want more flow. Use a 617a exhaust manifold with #5 blocked off, early/non EGR 240D intake, or you can cut/plug the 617a intake. The EGR NA intake is not going to work well if at all.

For the 300D the easy stuff is the cold air intake, K26 turbo, remove resonator, adjust/remove ALDA, adjust pump. After that you're talking about VGT turbos and modding the pump. Best thing is to do the mild easy motor mods and then convert it to manual so you can actually use the power. 240D rear gears.
CID Vicious
02-05-2010, 07:54 PM #3

Get a 3" intake tube with a 45 degree bend at the end of about a foot, foot and a half or so of pipe and get your choice of filter. Remove the EGR butterfly, add a modified tight 2" 90 degree ABS pipe from Home Depot, easily the best bang-for-buck mod for the 616 and you'll use it when you add the turbo. Use a 300D exhaust from a parts car, best bang for buck exhaust upgrade. Remove the forward resonator if you want more flow. Use a 617a exhaust manifold with #5 blocked off, early/non EGR 240D intake, or you can cut/plug the 617a intake. The EGR NA intake is not going to work well if at all.

For the 300D the easy stuff is the cold air intake, K26 turbo, remove resonator, adjust/remove ALDA, adjust pump. After that you're talking about VGT turbos and modding the pump. Best thing is to do the mild easy motor mods and then convert it to manual so you can actually use the power. 240D rear gears.

btrapr
Unregistered

02-10-2010, 09:04 PM #4
thanks for all the assistance!

I bought an intake like ILLBTHERE4U! still kicking around the exhaust header idea...or I will use a 300d exhuast manifold, and an intercooler...put the good 240 motor from the 240d auto into the manual car!

I like CID's recommendation

LATER on add a 617 turbo (perhaps by then I will have a grip on the VGT set-up) to the 240d automatic but update the tranny with a modulator/cable unit! I also got two sets of 300SD front calipers for the larger pads for both of the 240's!

I am also thinking about a 2 chamber flowmaster design muffler and eliminate the front resonator, along with Monark nozzles!

I hope to get started sometime soon!
This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM by btrapr.
btrapr
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM #4

thanks for all the assistance!

I bought an intake like ILLBTHERE4U! still kicking around the exhaust header idea...or I will use a 300d exhuast manifold, and an intercooler...put the good 240 motor from the 240d auto into the manual car!

I like CID's recommendation

LATER on add a 617 turbo (perhaps by then I will have a grip on the VGT set-up) to the 240d automatic but update the tranny with a modulator/cable unit! I also got two sets of 300SD front calipers for the larger pads for both of the 240's!

I am also thinking about a 2 chamber flowmaster design muffler and eliminate the front resonator, along with Monark nozzles!

I hope to get started sometime soon!

winmutt
bitbanger

02-12-2010, 07:31 PM #5
Just make sure your intake system is better than stock (which is hard to do).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM #5

Just make sure your intake system is better than stock (which is hard to do).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

CID Vicious
Unregistered

02-18-2010, 11:59 AM #6
Eh, I don't believe that for a minute, unless you're strictly talking about filtering efficiency. If those old circular filters and their cramped housings were so good they'd still be in use.

On the NA motors for sure a 3" intake with conical filter makes an impressive gain in response and power. Nothing like a 'real' mod, but more than it tends to gain, which tells me that the stock MB airbox is crap for flow. Utilizing an almost identical filter gained me very little on my SE-R except for a little more at top, so it's not like I haven't done the same mod on a real performance motor. And we're not talking about optimized equipment here, either, just a mildly ported 2" tight ABS elbow running into an awful intake manifold. I'd like to see what the old school intake manifold with the current intake tube would be like, but I'm selling the 240D after all so I guess that will have to be someone else's discovery.

Now as for the higher capacity turbo airbox, I haven't had the intake on the motor when it was healthy (I finally replaced the fuel lines but the ass of the car has been up in the air for two weeks now, need to swap the rear springs back over), but I will soon and I guarantee that the CAI will beat the MB setup on that motor, too.

If you really want an OEM style airbox because a few extra dust particles are just scaring you to death, find one off of a V8 late model car and adapt it. Just like semi trailing arms, 14" wheels on a luxury sedan, and many other features of the car sanctified by the holy and infallible Original Factory Engineers, the stock airbox doesn't belong on this car if you're looking for modern performance. And this engine was never intended to be any kind of performance engine in production trim - reliability and efficiency were it's primary concerns, if you wanted performance you had a DOHC I6 and a few V8s to choose from. Thus, this notion that the stock airbox is all you need is nonsense, and no one with a 'serious' 617a that I've seen runs one.

FYI, it cost me a whole 15 bucks to find out by getting an intake tube and filter from the pick a part. Find a cheap intake and experiment, if I'm wrong, hey...
CID Vicious
02-18-2010, 11:59 AM #6

Eh, I don't believe that for a minute, unless you're strictly talking about filtering efficiency. If those old circular filters and their cramped housings were so good they'd still be in use.

On the NA motors for sure a 3" intake with conical filter makes an impressive gain in response and power. Nothing like a 'real' mod, but more than it tends to gain, which tells me that the stock MB airbox is crap for flow. Utilizing an almost identical filter gained me very little on my SE-R except for a little more at top, so it's not like I haven't done the same mod on a real performance motor. And we're not talking about optimized equipment here, either, just a mildly ported 2" tight ABS elbow running into an awful intake manifold. I'd like to see what the old school intake manifold with the current intake tube would be like, but I'm selling the 240D after all so I guess that will have to be someone else's discovery.

Now as for the higher capacity turbo airbox, I haven't had the intake on the motor when it was healthy (I finally replaced the fuel lines but the ass of the car has been up in the air for two weeks now, need to swap the rear springs back over), but I will soon and I guarantee that the CAI will beat the MB setup on that motor, too.

If you really want an OEM style airbox because a few extra dust particles are just scaring you to death, find one off of a V8 late model car and adapt it. Just like semi trailing arms, 14" wheels on a luxury sedan, and many other features of the car sanctified by the holy and infallible Original Factory Engineers, the stock airbox doesn't belong on this car if you're looking for modern performance. And this engine was never intended to be any kind of performance engine in production trim - reliability and efficiency were it's primary concerns, if you wanted performance you had a DOHC I6 and a few V8s to choose from. Thus, this notion that the stock airbox is all you need is nonsense, and no one with a 'serious' 617a that I've seen runs one.

FYI, it cost me a whole 15 bucks to find out by getting an intake tube and filter from the pick a part. Find a cheap intake and experiment, if I'm wrong, hey...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average