STD Other Open M117 bolt pattern and the R107

M117 bolt pattern and the R107

M117 bolt pattern and the R107

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

01-17-2010, 11:40 PM #1
So I've been looking into these. 400Eric has me looking into the MB V8's, although the repair bills are kind of scary. I've heard people say the same thing about W123s though, too.

The M117 4.5l doesn't seem like it's any worse than any other smogged to death V8, probably best of the breed from the era. While the hop-up parts aren't really there from what I can see (and I doubt I can afford them if they were), the low compression and standard fuel injection open up possibilities for sure - with a couple of T3s and Megasquirt, at least. Hell, I'll bet there's plenty of power and efficiency to be had just tossing the stock engine control hardward and bringing it up to more modern specs. These cars were practically EFI pioneers even for the time - and at that time, a Commodore 64 was a far-off wonder machine.

The R107 of course is as bona fide a classic as they come, like owning a Miata built for someone who doesn't like to explain that he's not gay every other stoplight Wink. Or one that you don't have to worry about getting into an accident with. Or one that just has a badass exhaust note. Basically a roadster version of our chassis, it's got a lot of appeal as a weekend car vs my 240D's daily driver appeal. The only thing that sucks is the gas mileage and the three speed slushbox.

Real curious as to what the bolt pattern is like, since the W58 Toyota trans is so close to the OM61X. Of course, as far as I know, V8 + Stick ≠ Benz, so the flywheel is an open question. Aside from the flywheel, hell, I ain't skeered!

Another option is a 722.3, which as far as I can tell should have been the transmission installed anyway. (I'm referring to old reviews for the the transmission info, though, a lot of people might look at the shifter and assume three speeds). Ok, so I just rechecked, and the 4.5l cars were three speeds, the 5.0l cars four. Since the four speed is non-overdrive I'm assuming the atrocious mileage continued, but it wouldn't be my only car.

The 5.0l cars, being cooler and newer, are probably out of my range, but I see 450SLs going for just over a grand every now and again. Even though Dukovny was complaining about diesel fumes in the much later 606 converted 'vert my old boss put together for him, it would be cool to have a '300SL-D'. Something different.

Ok, time for dogpile-on-the-idea, but that's why I put it up.

Ideas:

450SL/SLC w/ 5 speed manual
" " w/ 722.3
" " w/ 617a/four speed swap (of course, the "fumes might get too much" and I'll 'have to' put a V8 back in and 'forget' to tell the DMV Big Grin)

Fire away. Be brutal. A 300CD would be so much easier, I know...gah! And LIGHTER! 3600lbs dry...maybe I'd be better off with just a 116 450SE.

God damn, Project Blasphemy...every time I try to get out, it pulls me back in! Can't see going for more weight with less power, but then, there's also the time involved, whereas I could just buy a 450S(X) and have a car I can drive.

Oh well, there's never an easy answer...still think it's hardly the worst idea I've had, so let's bounce it around a little.
This post was last modified: 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM by CID Vicious.
CID Vicious
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM #1

So I've been looking into these. 400Eric has me looking into the MB V8's, although the repair bills are kind of scary. I've heard people say the same thing about W123s though, too.

The M117 4.5l doesn't seem like it's any worse than any other smogged to death V8, probably best of the breed from the era. While the hop-up parts aren't really there from what I can see (and I doubt I can afford them if they were), the low compression and standard fuel injection open up possibilities for sure - with a couple of T3s and Megasquirt, at least. Hell, I'll bet there's plenty of power and efficiency to be had just tossing the stock engine control hardward and bringing it up to more modern specs. These cars were practically EFI pioneers even for the time - and at that time, a Commodore 64 was a far-off wonder machine.

The R107 of course is as bona fide a classic as they come, like owning a Miata built for someone who doesn't like to explain that he's not gay every other stoplight Wink. Or one that you don't have to worry about getting into an accident with. Or one that just has a badass exhaust note. Basically a roadster version of our chassis, it's got a lot of appeal as a weekend car vs my 240D's daily driver appeal. The only thing that sucks is the gas mileage and the three speed slushbox.

Real curious as to what the bolt pattern is like, since the W58 Toyota trans is so close to the OM61X. Of course, as far as I know, V8 + Stick ≠ Benz, so the flywheel is an open question. Aside from the flywheel, hell, I ain't skeered!

Another option is a 722.3, which as far as I can tell should have been the transmission installed anyway. (I'm referring to old reviews for the the transmission info, though, a lot of people might look at the shifter and assume three speeds). Ok, so I just rechecked, and the 4.5l cars were three speeds, the 5.0l cars four. Since the four speed is non-overdrive I'm assuming the atrocious mileage continued, but it wouldn't be my only car.

The 5.0l cars, being cooler and newer, are probably out of my range, but I see 450SLs going for just over a grand every now and again. Even though Dukovny was complaining about diesel fumes in the much later 606 converted 'vert my old boss put together for him, it would be cool to have a '300SL-D'. Something different.

Ok, time for dogpile-on-the-idea, but that's why I put it up.

Ideas:

450SL/SLC w/ 5 speed manual
" " w/ 722.3
" " w/ 617a/four speed swap (of course, the "fumes might get too much" and I'll 'have to' put a V8 back in and 'forget' to tell the DMV Big Grin)

Fire away. Be brutal. A 300CD would be so much easier, I know...gah! And LIGHTER! 3600lbs dry...maybe I'd be better off with just a 116 450SE.

God damn, Project Blasphemy...every time I try to get out, it pulls me back in! Can't see going for more weight with less power, but then, there's also the time involved, whereas I could just buy a 450S(X) and have a car I can drive.

Oh well, there's never an easy answer...still think it's hardly the worst idea I've had, so let's bounce it around a little.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average