STD Tuning Engine Converting from Gas to Diesel in Kalifornia

Converting from Gas to Diesel in Kalifornia

Converting from Gas to Diesel in Kalifornia

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-20-2009, 02:07 PM #1
So yeah, I'm sitting there thinking about what to do with my 240D once I've cannibalized it's drivetrain. I've been thinking that instead of a slower version of the car I'm already driving, I could use a lightweight, fuel efficient pickup instead. Since it's been established that with an adapter plate and the right clutch parts, a 617 can work in a 4Runner, I'd say that's enough to convince me that the 616 will work in a pickup. The pickups are lighter (~2600 lbs) so you'd be able to load several hundred pounds in the bed before the engine would see the load it was used to in the 240D...plus the truck provides the manual transmission and doesn't require a custom driveshaft.

Problem is, I have no idea what the legality is on converting a gas engine to diesel here in Kalifornia. I'm hoping that at minimum it's the same kind of regulation as it is to convert from gas to gas (same year engine or newer and all of the stock emissions equipment). But I'm not sure, and that limits me to Toyota trucks built before 83. That's fine but he newer ones are a bit nicer. I don't want to buy a later truck and convert it only to find out that I can't sell it within a few hundred miles of where I live...

Anyone know the regulation?
CID Vicious
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM #1

So yeah, I'm sitting there thinking about what to do with my 240D once I've cannibalized it's drivetrain. I've been thinking that instead of a slower version of the car I'm already driving, I could use a lightweight, fuel efficient pickup instead. Since it's been established that with an adapter plate and the right clutch parts, a 617 can work in a 4Runner, I'd say that's enough to convince me that the 616 will work in a pickup. The pickups are lighter (~2600 lbs) so you'd be able to load several hundred pounds in the bed before the engine would see the load it was used to in the 240D...plus the truck provides the manual transmission and doesn't require a custom driveshaft.

Problem is, I have no idea what the legality is on converting a gas engine to diesel here in Kalifornia. I'm hoping that at minimum it's the same kind of regulation as it is to convert from gas to gas (same year engine or newer and all of the stock emissions equipment). But I'm not sure, and that limits me to Toyota trucks built before 83. That's fine but he newer ones are a bit nicer. I don't want to buy a later truck and convert it only to find out that I can't sell it within a few hundred miles of where I live...

Anyone know the regulation?

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-20-2009, 02:49 PM #2
I'm pretty sure it has to meet the emissions regulations of a comparable or newer model configuration.

Example, converting a 560SEL into a 300SDL.

The best bet would be to find one of your small pickups with a diesel from the factory. Since pre-98 diesels are exempt from emissions in CA, conversion to what you want wouldn't be an issue. The only downside to that is those already get great MPG so you'd be converting just to have an MB engine.

http://jalopnik.com/344853/hungry-for-wo...sel-pickup
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f365...14714.html
This post was last modified: 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM #2

I'm pretty sure it has to meet the emissions regulations of a comparable or newer model configuration.

Example, converting a 560SEL into a 300SDL.

The best bet would be to find one of your small pickups with a diesel from the factory. Since pre-98 diesels are exempt from emissions in CA, conversion to what you want wouldn't be an issue. The only downside to that is those already get great MPG so you'd be converting just to have an MB engine.

http://jalopnik.com/344853/hungry-for-wo...sel-pickup
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f365...14714.html

Kiwibacon
GT2256V

11-20-2009, 04:22 PM #3
The early toyota diesels aren't really worth the hassle.
The 2.4 and 2.8 diesels are completely gutless (I've heard 42 seconds to 100km/h), the turbocharged versions of the 2.4's crack heads, the non turbo versions do as well if run hard. The 2.8's were never sold turbocharged, but many have bolted 2.4 turbo kits to them.
The 3.0 turbo indirect injection (1KZ-TE) was good in the lower power versions, but it took toyota years to stop them cracking heads in the higher power versions (100kw).

Only recently have they made a direct injection 3.0 (1KD-FTV) which appears to be an excellent engine if you keep clean fuel into it. It's commonrail with variable vane turbo and uses around 20% less fuel than the 1KZ in the same vehicle.
Kiwibacon
11-20-2009, 04:22 PM #3

The early toyota diesels aren't really worth the hassle.
The 2.4 and 2.8 diesels are completely gutless (I've heard 42 seconds to 100km/h), the turbocharged versions of the 2.4's crack heads, the non turbo versions do as well if run hard. The 2.8's were never sold turbocharged, but many have bolted 2.4 turbo kits to them.
The 3.0 turbo indirect injection (1KZ-TE) was good in the lower power versions, but it took toyota years to stop them cracking heads in the higher power versions (100kw).

Only recently have they made a direct injection 3.0 (1KD-FTV) which appears to be an excellent engine if you keep clean fuel into it. It's commonrail with variable vane turbo and uses around 20% less fuel than the 1KZ in the same vehicle.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-20-2009, 05:18 PM #4
I was looking at the Toyota motors for half a minute and then I started laughing at the prices - you could convert one of these to a 603 with a 5 speed for less than they wanted for a front clip. Just to keep it 'all Toyota'.

It makes a little more sense when you realize that a Toyota with a dead or dying or unsmoggable 22R can be had for peanuts, and I don't know about the trucks mpg ratings but I doubt they get the mileage of a 240D. I think it would actually improve - lighter, same or better Cd, OD trans, etc. I had a Celica that ran a 22RE with a 5 speed and I was kind of disappointed at the mileage it got low 20s, not bad but not the 30+ I like to have, and the 616 would be more fun to drive. Those 22Rs don't like to rev stock. Plus, I'll bet there would be plenty of buyers who want a pickup that can run on Bio or WVO but balk at the 20mpg hwy of a Cummins Dodge and don't need all of that capacity. If towing isn't on the menu then a 616 powered Toyota would be perfectly adequate for most loads and could even be more fun to drive than a stock 240D if set up properly. It couldn't help being faster with the weight loss, either. Plus the pickup would last probably at least as long with the motor I already have as it would with a new 22R.

I've been looking for an application for all of these NA OM61X motors, and they only make sense if the weight is significantly less than the 123. Converting with an automatic would be easy as well but I don't really like automatics. If a OM617 will fit in a 4Runner it should fit in one of these as well, so the 616 might just be preparatory. A VGT'd OM617 powered Toyota 5speed geared right might be a decent little lightweight, high mpg (for a truck) light to medium duty tow rig, enough to tow a 123 home with a car dolly or a lightweight enclosed gear trailer. I'm also looking at doing the same conversion for the Dolphin RV's.
CID Vicious
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM #4

I was looking at the Toyota motors for half a minute and then I started laughing at the prices - you could convert one of these to a 603 with a 5 speed for less than they wanted for a front clip. Just to keep it 'all Toyota'.

It makes a little more sense when you realize that a Toyota with a dead or dying or unsmoggable 22R can be had for peanuts, and I don't know about the trucks mpg ratings but I doubt they get the mileage of a 240D. I think it would actually improve - lighter, same or better Cd, OD trans, etc. I had a Celica that ran a 22RE with a 5 speed and I was kind of disappointed at the mileage it got low 20s, not bad but not the 30+ I like to have, and the 616 would be more fun to drive. Those 22Rs don't like to rev stock. Plus, I'll bet there would be plenty of buyers who want a pickup that can run on Bio or WVO but balk at the 20mpg hwy of a Cummins Dodge and don't need all of that capacity. If towing isn't on the menu then a 616 powered Toyota would be perfectly adequate for most loads and could even be more fun to drive than a stock 240D if set up properly. It couldn't help being faster with the weight loss, either. Plus the pickup would last probably at least as long with the motor I already have as it would with a new 22R.

I've been looking for an application for all of these NA OM61X motors, and they only make sense if the weight is significantly less than the 123. Converting with an automatic would be easy as well but I don't really like automatics. If a OM617 will fit in a 4Runner it should fit in one of these as well, so the 616 might just be preparatory. A VGT'd OM617 powered Toyota 5speed geared right might be a decent little lightweight, high mpg (for a truck) light to medium duty tow rig, enough to tow a 123 home with a car dolly or a lightweight enclosed gear trailer. I'm also looking at doing the same conversion for the Dolphin RV's.

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

11-21-2009, 03:06 AM #5
(11-20-2009, 02:07 PM)CID Vicious Problem is, I have no idea what the legality is on converting a gas engine to diesel here in Kalifornia. I'm hoping that at minimum it's the same kind of regulation as it is to convert from gas to gas (same year engine or newer and all of the stock emissions equipment).

I'm almost done doing a gas to diesel conversion on a G-wagen. It's getting tougher to do every year. The first thing you want to do is contact the California ARB and ask to speak to a referee. They will step you through the requirements. the rules for gas to diesel are a little muddy still so you'll get different opinions from different referees.

A couple years ago, one of the refs I spoke to only needed to verify you had a diesel. Now he wants to see the whole drivetrain from the donor (engine, transmission, EGR) and it has to be same year or newer as the receiving car. Next year, I think you'll need exhaust and possibly gas tank too from the donor car.

Just have 15 loose wires under the dash to deal with.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
11-21-2009, 03:06 AM #5

(11-20-2009, 02:07 PM)CID Vicious Problem is, I have no idea what the legality is on converting a gas engine to diesel here in Kalifornia. I'm hoping that at minimum it's the same kind of regulation as it is to convert from gas to gas (same year engine or newer and all of the stock emissions equipment).

I'm almost done doing a gas to diesel conversion on a G-wagen. It's getting tougher to do every year. The first thing you want to do is contact the California ARB and ask to speak to a referee. They will step you through the requirements. the rules for gas to diesel are a little muddy still so you'll get different opinions from different referees.

A couple years ago, one of the refs I spoke to only needed to verify you had a diesel. Now he wants to see the whole drivetrain from the donor (engine, transmission, EGR) and it has to be same year or newer as the receiving car. Next year, I think you'll need exhaust and possibly gas tank too from the donor car.

Just have 15 loose wires under the dash to deal with.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-21-2009, 03:26 AM #6
Very spiffy.

Just a note though, you're going to need a far larger diameter tube for the breather than that brass fitting.
ForcedInduction
11-21-2009, 03:26 AM #6

Very spiffy.

Just a note though, you're going to need a far larger diameter tube for the breather than that brass fitting.

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

11-21-2009, 08:59 AM #7
(11-21-2009, 03:26 AM)ForcedInduction Very spiffy.

X2
at least a 1/2" I.D.

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
11-21-2009, 08:59 AM #7

X2
at least a 1/2" I.D.

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

11-21-2009, 10:44 AM #8
thanks. It's easy to keep clean when it doesn't run. Not expecting it to stay this way.

(11-21-2009, 03:26 AM)ForcedInduction Just a note though, you're going to need a far larger diameter tube for the breather than that brass fitting.
lol, that's a bolt in the pipe to keep dirt out.
I have an oil separator on order.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
11-21-2009, 10:44 AM #8

thanks. It's easy to keep clean when it doesn't run. Not expecting it to stay this way.

(11-21-2009, 03:26 AM)ForcedInduction Just a note though, you're going to need a far larger diameter tube for the breather than that brass fitting.
lol, that's a bolt in the pipe to keep dirt out.
I have an oil separator on order.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-21-2009, 12:58 PM #9
Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have to have an ooooold Toyota if I want a legal diesel.

I have some friends in other states, I might have to see what can be finagled...converting a California car to diesel and registering it here might be hard, but converting it and registering it in, say, Florida, wouldn't be. Keep the Florida tags for a year and register it - they'll have a harder time denying it, Kali used to have pretty strict laws and fines for bringing in out of state vehicles, but that's overturned now...I'll have to see what the process is.

If I build it and get it running it's not as if there aren't a few thousand people on eBay that would snap it up in a heartbeat...
CID Vicious
11-21-2009, 12:58 PM #9

Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have to have an ooooold Toyota if I want a legal diesel.

I have some friends in other states, I might have to see what can be finagled...converting a California car to diesel and registering it here might be hard, but converting it and registering it in, say, Florida, wouldn't be. Keep the Florida tags for a year and register it - they'll have a harder time denying it, Kali used to have pretty strict laws and fines for bringing in out of state vehicles, but that's overturned now...I'll have to see what the process is.

If I build it and get it running it's not as if there aren't a few thousand people on eBay that would snap it up in a heartbeat...

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

11-22-2009, 12:32 AM #10
(11-21-2009, 12:58 PM)CID Vicious Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have to have an ooooold Toyota if I want a legal diesel.

If you're set on a diesel pickup, the easiest thing would probably be to wait for a diesel toy to come along (or mitsu or isuzu or ford) that's already registered in california. I've seen them turn up occassionally - just need to be patient.

In the time I've spent doing my engine swap, I've seen a few good diesel G-wagens come up for sale. Had I known that would happen, I would have held off and sold my gasser. I'm glad I went through with it though. I've learned a lot about my truck but it certainly wasn't the most economical way to go about it.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
11-22-2009, 12:32 AM #10

(11-21-2009, 12:58 PM)CID Vicious Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have to have an ooooold Toyota if I want a legal diesel.

If you're set on a diesel pickup, the easiest thing would probably be to wait for a diesel toy to come along (or mitsu or isuzu or ford) that's already registered in california. I've seen them turn up occassionally - just need to be patient.

In the time I've spent doing my engine swap, I've seen a few good diesel G-wagens come up for sale. Had I known that would happen, I would have held off and sold my gasser. I'm glad I went through with it though. I've learned a lot about my truck but it certainly wasn't the most economical way to go about it.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-22-2009, 01:42 AM #11
Yeah. One of the things I'm looking at is that the 'rig' I want is really an early Cummins powered Dodge. I could buy one for about 3k if I was patient and waited for one. Other than the registration/inspection it wouldn't be very hard at all once you had an adapter plate fabbed up, and would probably return twice the mpg of a Dodge...it's six of one half a dozen of the other, though, since the mini diesel isn't going to tow very much at all.

Oh well...it'll be awhile before I have to go and make any big decision anyway. Considering the CARB hassle maybe my old Benzomino/123 truck plan wasn't such a bad way to go about it after all.
CID Vicious
11-22-2009, 01:42 AM #11

Yeah. One of the things I'm looking at is that the 'rig' I want is really an early Cummins powered Dodge. I could buy one for about 3k if I was patient and waited for one. Other than the registration/inspection it wouldn't be very hard at all once you had an adapter plate fabbed up, and would probably return twice the mpg of a Dodge...it's six of one half a dozen of the other, though, since the mini diesel isn't going to tow very much at all.

Oh well...it'll be awhile before I have to go and make any big decision anyway. Considering the CARB hassle maybe my old Benzomino/123 truck plan wasn't such a bad way to go about it after all.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

11-28-2009, 05:43 PM #12
Diesel's are still under the radar for the most part in CA. My friends TDi powered 245 was as simple as going to the DMV, telling them the car is now diesel and the registration needs to be updated as such, have the car inspected by the DMV to ensure that the engine is in fact diesel, and change the registration to remove bi annual emissions inspections.

It's not like gas to gas engine swaps where you have to have a full inspection and emissions test by a state referee.
Gross Polluter
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM #12

Diesel's are still under the radar for the most part in CA. My friends TDi powered 245 was as simple as going to the DMV, telling them the car is now diesel and the registration needs to be updated as such, have the car inspected by the DMV to ensure that the engine is in fact diesel, and change the registration to remove bi annual emissions inspections.

It's not like gas to gas engine swaps where you have to have a full inspection and emissions test by a state referee.

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

11-28-2009, 09:35 PM #13
(11-28-2009, 05:43 PM)Gross Polluter Diesel's are still under the radar for the most part in CA. My friends TDi powered 245 was as simple as going to the DMV, telling them the car is now diesel and the registration needs to be updated as such, have the car inspected by the DMV to ensure that the engine is in fact diesel, and change the registration to remove bi annual emissions inspections.

Things are changing pretty fast. If that was in the past year, I'd really like to know which DMV office that was in. In the Bay Area, we have to first go to the CARB/BAR referee to get the sign off

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
11-28-2009, 09:35 PM #13

(11-28-2009, 05:43 PM)Gross Polluter Diesel's are still under the radar for the most part in CA. My friends TDi powered 245 was as simple as going to the DMV, telling them the car is now diesel and the registration needs to be updated as such, have the car inspected by the DMV to ensure that the engine is in fact diesel, and change the registration to remove bi annual emissions inspections.

Things are changing pretty fast. If that was in the past year, I'd really like to know which DMV office that was in. In the Bay Area, we have to first go to the CARB/BAR referee to get the sign off

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

kamel
Naturally-aspirated SUCKS

11-30-2009, 04:16 PM #14
I've been wanting to but a 6BT cummins in my '76 Chevy crew cab since the day i brought it home, but have had conflicting info the legality of doing such.

A 616 can be adapted to toyota transmissions with relative ease, but with the 22r and re being one of the most unblowupable motors out there (after the 61x and on par with a chevy 350), they only gain would be a different fuel being used.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs
kamel
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM #14

I've been wanting to but a 6BT cummins in my '76 Chevy crew cab since the day i brought it home, but have had conflicting info the legality of doing such.

A 616 can be adapted to toyota transmissions with relative ease, but with the 22r and re being one of the most unblowupable motors out there (after the 61x and on par with a chevy 350), they only gain would be a different fuel being used.

'78 300D, OM617.912: 4spd manual, TB03 at 10PSI, 26*BTDC, DV's turned, HVAC, emissions system removed, e-fan, short ram, 3" downpipe to straight exhaust, W126 Bendix brakes, MR2 Spyder seats. 2890lbs

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-30-2009, 04:31 PM #15
(11-30-2009, 04:16 PM)kamel I've been wanting to but a 6BT cummins in my '76 Chevy crew cab since the day i brought it home, but have had conflicting info the legality of doing such.

Its over 25 and the engine is newer than the vehicle, I don't see any reason at all it couldn't be done.
ForcedInduction
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM #15

(11-30-2009, 04:16 PM)kamel I've been wanting to but a 6BT cummins in my '76 Chevy crew cab since the day i brought it home, but have had conflicting info the legality of doing such.

Its over 25 and the engine is newer than the vehicle, I don't see any reason at all it couldn't be done.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

11-30-2009, 11:15 PM #16
(11-28-2009, 09:35 PM)Syncro_G Things are changing pretty fast. If that was in the past year, I'd really like to know which DMV office that was in. In the Bay Area, we have to first go to the CARB/BAR referee to get the sign off

Temecula, if I recall correctly. It was done in late 2007.
Gross Polluter
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM #16

(11-28-2009, 09:35 PM)Syncro_G Things are changing pretty fast. If that was in the past year, I'd really like to know which DMV office that was in. In the Bay Area, we have to first go to the CARB/BAR referee to get the sign off

Temecula, if I recall correctly. It was done in late 2007.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

12-02-2009, 12:27 AM #17
Yeah, well, the type of fuel being used would be the whole point, otherwise I'd just buy a stock truck. Eventually I'd like to go WVO. Plus, think about it, if one could add an overdrive gear and lose almost a thousand pounds to a 240D, wouldn't the mileage go up? Our cars don't have much for aerodynamics so I can't imagine the truck being that much worse to where it would counteract the gains. Picture being able to to pick up that cheap 617a that's out in the middle of nowhere 200 miles away, for practically nothing but the time. The 22R might have been a solid, dependable motor but it drank fuel more like a V6, my Celica didn't get all that great mileage even after a full tune up, and it's likely more aerodynamic than the truck would be. I'm figuring that the 22R in the truck might get 25mpg, and I can't see getting less than 30 (maybe even 35) with the 616 installed.

I'm going to be inquiring about this with someone who's done the paperwork within the last couple of years. In '07 you could also fish for salmon commercially in California waters but not now. I'll post what I find, other municipalities are likely nowhere near as strict.
CID Vicious
12-02-2009, 12:27 AM #17

Yeah, well, the type of fuel being used would be the whole point, otherwise I'd just buy a stock truck. Eventually I'd like to go WVO. Plus, think about it, if one could add an overdrive gear and lose almost a thousand pounds to a 240D, wouldn't the mileage go up? Our cars don't have much for aerodynamics so I can't imagine the truck being that much worse to where it would counteract the gains. Picture being able to to pick up that cheap 617a that's out in the middle of nowhere 200 miles away, for practically nothing but the time. The 22R might have been a solid, dependable motor but it drank fuel more like a V6, my Celica didn't get all that great mileage even after a full tune up, and it's likely more aerodynamic than the truck would be. I'm figuring that the 22R in the truck might get 25mpg, and I can't see getting less than 30 (maybe even 35) with the 616 installed.

I'm going to be inquiring about this with someone who's done the paperwork within the last couple of years. In '07 you could also fish for salmon commercially in California waters but not now. I'll post what I find, other municipalities are likely nowhere near as strict.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

12-02-2009, 04:10 AM #18
We have a 4BT going in an 88 Wrangler at the moment. I'll let you know how that one goes. More than likely the same as before though. We're just getting a letter changed on the registration, not trying to fish commercially.
Gross Polluter
12-02-2009, 04:10 AM #18

We have a 4BT going in an 88 Wrangler at the moment. I'll let you know how that one goes. More than likely the same as before though. We're just getting a letter changed on the registration, not trying to fish commercially.

Motorhead
GT2256V

12-02-2009, 10:04 AM #19
The latest change here in Califorina is starting Jan. 1 2010 all Diesel cars and trucks built in 1985 to 2010 will be required to pass smog inspection and testing. As of now 1984 and older diesels are exempt, I better get going on my '84 Coupe before they come after me too.

Anyone have any spare carbon credits for sale?
Motorhead
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM #19

The latest change here in Califorina is starting Jan. 1 2010 all Diesel cars and trucks built in 1985 to 2010 will be required to pass smog inspection and testing. As of now 1984 and older diesels are exempt, I better get going on my '84 Coupe before they come after me too.

Anyone have any spare carbon credits for sale?

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-02-2009, 10:32 AM #20
(12-02-2009, 10:04 AM)Motorhead The latest change here in Califorina is starting Jan. 1 2010 all Diesel cars and trucks built in 1985 to 2010 will be required to pass smog inspection and testing.

That should be 1998+.
ForcedInduction
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM #20

(12-02-2009, 10:04 AM)Motorhead The latest change here in Califorina is starting Jan. 1 2010 all Diesel cars and trucks built in 1985 to 2010 will be required to pass smog inspection and testing.

That should be 1998+.

kamel

12-02-2009, 05:09 PM #21
It is 98 and newer. I have been to some of these meetings with the carb nazis.

kamel
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM #21

It is 98 and newer. I have been to some of these meetings with the carb nazis.

Motorhead
GT2256V

12-06-2009, 11:06 AM #22
I hope the guy at the smog shop was wrong and 98+ diesels will be inspected only, I work with a company down the street that is working on the e-rod project and will see what he knows about diesel smog laws here in the sunshine state. I bet the guys at the smog shop were just mad at me for telling them that my '84 coupe is exempt and I am looking forward to putting down 3 black marks.
Motorhead
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM #22

I hope the guy at the smog shop was wrong and 98+ diesels will be inspected only, I work with a company down the street that is working on the e-rod project and will see what he knows about diesel smog laws here in the sunshine state. I bet the guys at the smog shop were just mad at me for telling them that my '84 coupe is exempt and I am looking forward to putting down 3 black marks.

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

12-06-2009, 01:19 PM #23
Go to a smog shop that knows what they are doing! It is 1998 and newer.

Rudolf_Diesel
12-06-2009, 01:19 PM #23

Go to a smog shop that knows what they are doing! It is 1998 and newer.

Motorhead
GT2256V

12-06-2009, 03:03 PM #24
(12-06-2009, 01:19 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Go to a smog shop that knows what they are doing! It is 1998 and newer.
I have had some questionable cars pass there so I like it when they are wrong, I will just have to get info from other places.
Motorhead
12-06-2009, 03:03 PM #24

(12-06-2009, 01:19 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Go to a smog shop that knows what they are doing! It is 1998 and newer.
I have had some questionable cars pass there so I like it when they are wrong, I will just have to get info from other places.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

12-06-2009, 03:46 PM #25
(12-02-2009, 05:09 PM)kamel It is 98 and newer. I have been to some of these meetings with the carb nazis.

Carb Nazis? You been hangin' with the aircooled Veedub crowd? Dual Dellortos rock Big Grin
CID Vicious
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM #25

(12-02-2009, 05:09 PM)kamel It is 98 and newer. I have been to some of these meetings with the carb nazis.

Carb Nazis? You been hangin' with the aircooled Veedub crowd? Dual Dellortos rock Big Grin

kamel

12-07-2009, 03:14 AM #26
My buddies got a '59 bug. We just finished a 1835cc with 8.5:1 comp, a cam, megasquirt efi, oh yeah, and 14 pounds of boost on a 42mm T3. Someday it'll be a class 5/duner, but all it's got now is a badass motor, 31" a/t's, Fox 2.0 double bypass's in the rear and Sway-away 2.5 resi's up front.

[Image: IMG_5218.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5208.jpg]
And he's also got a ~2200cc with 11.7:1 comp, cam, and dual webers in a mid engine 800lb sandrail. Just about the fastest thing I've driven.

But no, by carb I mean Commifornia Air Research Boners, er Board.

kamel
12-07-2009, 03:14 AM #26

My buddies got a '59 bug. We just finished a 1835cc with 8.5:1 comp, a cam, megasquirt efi, oh yeah, and 14 pounds of boost on a 42mm T3. Someday it'll be a class 5/duner, but all it's got now is a badass motor, 31" a/t's, Fox 2.0 double bypass's in the rear and Sway-away 2.5 resi's up front.

[Image: IMG_5218.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5208.jpg]
And he's also got a ~2200cc with 11.7:1 comp, cam, and dual webers in a mid engine 800lb sandrail. Just about the fastest thing I've driven.

But no, by carb I mean Commifornia Air Research Boners, er Board.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

12-07-2009, 03:34 AM #27
Nice! The baddest VW I had was a 66 Squareback with IRS, 1776 with the Dellortos and an EMPI header, lowered with a pretty sweet stereo...sold it too quick, but then again, that's a long story, may as well wait for the book to come out.

800lb mid engine sandrail...intriguing. God, and we talk about suspension travel! Of course, mine would have to be 302 powered...Chevy 302 powered, that is Big Grin

I wonder if anyone's taken one of those rails and 'on-roaded it', so to speak, optimize it for pavement performance. Dammit, Kamel, just what I need, another 'future project'! I was supposed to get away from all of that nonsense with the 240D...'untuneable' my ass!

That's my fault, though, if I was saddled with a Fiesta I'd be thinking of a SHOgun. Even my friend's old 84 Cutlass sedan, I ended up dripping poison into his ear...'you know, this would make a killer sleeper with a Grand National motor in it...'

I'm sick, and I need help! Er, sponsorship! Big Grin
CID Vicious
12-07-2009, 03:34 AM #27

Nice! The baddest VW I had was a 66 Squareback with IRS, 1776 with the Dellortos and an EMPI header, lowered with a pretty sweet stereo...sold it too quick, but then again, that's a long story, may as well wait for the book to come out.

800lb mid engine sandrail...intriguing. God, and we talk about suspension travel! Of course, mine would have to be 302 powered...Chevy 302 powered, that is Big Grin

I wonder if anyone's taken one of those rails and 'on-roaded it', so to speak, optimize it for pavement performance. Dammit, Kamel, just what I need, another 'future project'! I was supposed to get away from all of that nonsense with the 240D...'untuneable' my ass!

That's my fault, though, if I was saddled with a Fiesta I'd be thinking of a SHOgun. Even my friend's old 84 Cutlass sedan, I ended up dripping poison into his ear...'you know, this would make a killer sleeper with a Grand National motor in it...'

I'm sick, and I need help! Er, sponsorship! Big Grin

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

12-11-2009, 01:09 PM #28
getting back on topic - I just passed the diesel inspection. So it is certainly doable.
Truck is now smog exempt and officially a diesel!

But the Referee was almost hung up on the air cleaner (I used the G-wagen's instead of the sedan's). He was also on the fence about the gas tank. Luckily I had been on the phone with him earlier in the year and at that time he said I didn't need the donor tank. I was able to bring that up to him so he let it go.

Basically, anyone who is at all serious about diesel conversions in California should first get in touch with the Referee and see what he will expect. He may want more things then you think is worth doing. Also, his opinion will change with every new year so come January, anything you agreed on is no longer relevant (I had to rush things a little this month to be sure I had time to get it certified before the end of the year).
This post was last modified: 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM by Syncro_G.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
12-11-2009, 01:09 PM #28

getting back on topic - I just passed the diesel inspection. So it is certainly doable.
Truck is now smog exempt and officially a diesel!

But the Referee was almost hung up on the air cleaner (I used the G-wagen's instead of the sedan's). He was also on the fence about the gas tank. Luckily I had been on the phone with him earlier in the year and at that time he said I didn't need the donor tank. I was able to bring that up to him so he let it go.

Basically, anyone who is at all serious about diesel conversions in California should first get in touch with the Referee and see what he will expect. He may want more things then you think is worth doing. Also, his opinion will change with every new year so come January, anything you agreed on is no longer relevant (I had to rush things a little this month to be sure I had time to get it certified before the end of the year).

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

CID Vicious
Unregistered

12-11-2009, 01:43 PM #29
Yeah, I'm starting to look at it, and for the time invested I'd probably be better off with getting a Dodge/Cummins for the money. I want one of those motors (I think, I just started looking at the NPR motors...) for a touring RV, running a WVO system done right and then some. The truck would either be a donor, or I'd tow a camper trailer of some size with it (possibly with a camper back in the truck's bed). I know the Cummins can take it, hope the truck can.

I'm just trying to find a use for these 616s and I think turboing them will be a good first step ;-). If you don't have to abide by the rules of Kalifo...wait a goddamned second.

Since I oftentimes start these threads to get the ideas in discussion for other people who might have the same questions, I have to ask this one:

If I take a Toyota truck that's registered in Cali as a gas motor, convert it to 616 power, and say drive it to Oregon or Arizona and register it there as a diesel (and it's provable, it's a diesel and the right state probably won't care), wait awhile and reregister it in Cali as a diesel, would it work? And what about if it was never registered in California at all, and is an out of state car that's diesel converted?

Loopholes, man, loopholes...they're out there, and they're already being used against us, so turnabout is fair play Wink
CID Vicious
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM #29

Yeah, I'm starting to look at it, and for the time invested I'd probably be better off with getting a Dodge/Cummins for the money. I want one of those motors (I think, I just started looking at the NPR motors...) for a touring RV, running a WVO system done right and then some. The truck would either be a donor, or I'd tow a camper trailer of some size with it (possibly with a camper back in the truck's bed). I know the Cummins can take it, hope the truck can.

I'm just trying to find a use for these 616s and I think turboing them will be a good first step ;-). If you don't have to abide by the rules of Kalifo...wait a goddamned second.

Since I oftentimes start these threads to get the ideas in discussion for other people who might have the same questions, I have to ask this one:

If I take a Toyota truck that's registered in Cali as a gas motor, convert it to 616 power, and say drive it to Oregon or Arizona and register it there as a diesel (and it's provable, it's a diesel and the right state probably won't care), wait awhile and reregister it in Cali as a diesel, would it work? And what about if it was never registered in California at all, and is an out of state car that's diesel converted?

Loopholes, man, loopholes...they're out there, and they're already being used against us, so turnabout is fair play Wink

Gross Polluter
K26-2

01-11-2010, 04:40 PM #30
Jeep just went to the DMV. No ref inspection, nothing. Inspector at the DMV looked at it, said it's a diesel and changed the registration.

You're making things harder on yourself going to the ref.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Bp0cxSQO0
This post was last modified: 01-11-2010, 04:40 PM by Gross Polluter.
Gross Polluter
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM #30

Jeep just went to the DMV. No ref inspection, nothing. Inspector at the DMV looked at it, said it's a diesel and changed the registration.

400Eric
TA 0301

01-12-2010, 03:56 AM #31
I don't know how or when it was done, but Festus is registered as a diesel. Dodge didn't even have a diesel option in 85! All I can tell you is Festus came here from Arkansas originally and is registered as a diesel. And get this: the only thing "diesel" about this truck are the "Cummins" emblems on the fenders! Festus is powered by a gas Mopar 360 which is what the VIN says this truck was originally equipped with. I've done nothing, nor will I do anything to "correct" this "error". So yes, there are loopholes.

The 22R ain't all that either. In over 32 years of messing with cars and trucks, The one and only time I actually "vented" a block was when a 22R let go on me. I had a buddy who lived down the street from me when I lived in Oceanside who had his blow up on him too. And I have a buddy in Fallbrook who had one in a pickup (with a five speed) that could not lose my knappy 304,000 mile 85 2.4 turbo diesel Volvo (back when it was stock) no matter how hard he tried.

Talk about a small world. That 88 Wrangler is what my 4.0/4.2 hybrid is out of. Gross (and the owner of that Wrangler and TDi 245) are a couple of those "inspired" Turbobrickers. I got to see that TDi 245. It's one clean installation. (BTW Gross, I'm "ThickasaBrick" over there.)

I probably need to come clean about something that is not in my sig. I have a P7100 pumped 12 valve Cummins in a F700 Ford ex-Ryder truck. No, I can't sell it. Just wanted to come clean about it because others do know I have it and I didn't want it to seem like I was holding out. (The owner of the Jeep and 245 TDi has seen it.) It also has an Allison trans. This freak has the best of all three worlds! I guess when you buy a lot of trucks at a time, you can get them any way you want!
Regards, Eric
This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 01:59 AM by 400Eric.

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
85 Volvo 740 turbo diesel "Bolbo 1"
90 Volvo 740 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 2"
93 Volvo 940 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 5"
89 300E "Benzer 1" 15.924 uncorrected at Pomona
93 400E "Benzer 3" 14.200 uncorrected at Fontana
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
87 300D "Benzer 7"  Big Grin
87 300D "Benzer 8"  Big Grin
85 Dodge flatbed tow truck "Festus"
71 AMC Javelin AMX 401 "Sidewinder"
74 AMC Hornet 401 "C.K.10" 13.63 U.C.
74 Bricklin SV1 "Presto" (1 of the AMC 360 powered ones)
94 Ford F700 Cummins 6BT Allison AT545 (all factory!) "Thomas"
400Eric
01-12-2010, 03:56 AM #31

I don't know how or when it was done, but Festus is registered as a diesel. Dodge didn't even have a diesel option in 85! All I can tell you is Festus came here from Arkansas originally and is registered as a diesel. And get this: the only thing "diesel" about this truck are the "Cummins" emblems on the fenders! Festus is powered by a gas Mopar 360 which is what the VIN says this truck was originally equipped with. I've done nothing, nor will I do anything to "correct" this "error". So yes, there are loopholes.

The 22R ain't all that either. In over 32 years of messing with cars and trucks, The one and only time I actually "vented" a block was when a 22R let go on me. I had a buddy who lived down the street from me when I lived in Oceanside who had his blow up on him too. And I have a buddy in Fallbrook who had one in a pickup (with a five speed) that could not lose my knappy 304,000 mile 85 2.4 turbo diesel Volvo (back when it was stock) no matter how hard he tried.

Talk about a small world. That 88 Wrangler is what my 4.0/4.2 hybrid is out of. Gross (and the owner of that Wrangler and TDi 245) are a couple of those "inspired" Turbobrickers. I got to see that TDi 245. It's one clean installation. (BTW Gross, I'm "ThickasaBrick" over there.)

I probably need to come clean about something that is not in my sig. I have a P7100 pumped 12 valve Cummins in a F700 Ford ex-Ryder truck. No, I can't sell it. Just wanted to come clean about it because others do know I have it and I didn't want it to seem like I was holding out. (The owner of the Jeep and 245 TDi has seen it.) It also has an Allison trans. This freak has the best of all three worlds! I guess when you buy a lot of trucks at a time, you can get them any way you want!
Regards, Eric

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
85 Volvo 740 turbo diesel "Bolbo 1"
90 Volvo 740 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 2"
93 Volvo 940 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 5"
89 300E "Benzer 1" 15.924 uncorrected at Pomona
93 400E "Benzer 3" 14.200 uncorrected at Fontana
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
87 300D "Benzer 7"  Big Grin
87 300D "Benzer 8"  Big Grin
85 Dodge flatbed tow truck "Festus"
71 AMC Javelin AMX 401 "Sidewinder"
74 AMC Hornet 401 "C.K.10" 13.63 U.C.
74 Bricklin SV1 "Presto" (1 of the AMC 360 powered ones)
94 Ford F700 Cummins 6BT Allison AT545 (all factory!) "Thomas"

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

01-16-2010, 12:36 AM #32
(01-11-2010, 04:40 PM)Gross Polluter Jeep just went to the DMV. No ref inspection, nothing. Inspector at the DMV looked at it, said it's a diesel and changed the registration.

I don't know if that's dumb luck or brilliant! the swap looks and sounds great too.

I don't think I could have pulled that off with my grey market G-wagen. The DMV here always looks at my truck with lots of suspicion. I can't get by the desk person without them calling a supervisor over.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
01-16-2010, 12:36 AM #32

(01-11-2010, 04:40 PM)Gross Polluter Jeep just went to the DMV. No ref inspection, nothing. Inspector at the DMV looked at it, said it's a diesel and changed the registration.

I don't know if that's dumb luck or brilliant! the swap looks and sounds great too.

I don't think I could have pulled that off with my grey market G-wagen. The DMV here always looks at my truck with lots of suspicion. I can't get by the desk person without them calling a supervisor over.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average