STD Tuning Engine Wagon/SLS cylinder head

Wagon/SLS cylinder head

Wagon/SLS cylinder head

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tantank79
T3-45

06-04-2008, 08:28 AM #1
In the past I have heard people say that the cylinder head from the wagon, or other SLS equipped 617 engines, is better than the regular 300D non SLS head. However, no one really said why this might be true. So what do yall think? Any truth to this? If so, why would this head be better? From what I can tell the specs on either head (both turbo) are the same.

On a similar note, what shoot out some ideas for cylinder head flow improvement. Some have said you should port these heads because it could mess up a certain "helix" inside the runners. Not sure what to think of that one. If indeed that would be harmful, what about simply port matching. Looking at my head and gasket indicates A LOT of room to work with.

Valves? Bigger valves could help this engine. Why not go for it?

I'll save the camshaft for a seperate thread.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE
tantank79
06-04-2008, 08:28 AM #1

In the past I have heard people say that the cylinder head from the wagon, or other SLS equipped 617 engines, is better than the regular 300D non SLS head. However, no one really said why this might be true. So what do yall think? Any truth to this? If so, why would this head be better? From what I can tell the specs on either head (both turbo) are the same.

On a similar note, what shoot out some ideas for cylinder head flow improvement. Some have said you should port these heads because it could mess up a certain "helix" inside the runners. Not sure what to think of that one. If indeed that would be harmful, what about simply port matching. Looking at my head and gasket indicates A LOT of room to work with.

Valves? Bigger valves could help this engine. Why not go for it?

I'll save the camshaft for a seperate thread.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-04-2008, 08:47 AM #2
tantank79 In the past I have heard people say that the cylinder head from the wagon, or other SLS equipped 617 engines, is better than the regular 300D non SLS head. However, no one really said why this might be true. So what do yall think? Any truth to this? If so, why would this head be better?
The only reason its better is it has the SLS mount cast in the head. Other than that they are identical to the 300D/CD/SD heads.

Quote:what about simply port matching. Looking at my head and gasket indicates A LOT of room to work with.
Port matching needs to be done between the ports on the head and manifold, not the gasket. The gasket holes are actually a bit larger than both, giving you the illusion that there is a big size difference between the two.

Quote:Valves? Bigger valves could help this engine. Why not go for it?
The head does not have pressed in valve seats, you would have to have the seats renitrided but I don't see why it can't work.
ForcedInduction
06-04-2008, 08:47 AM #2

tantank79 In the past I have heard people say that the cylinder head from the wagon, or other SLS equipped 617 engines, is better than the regular 300D non SLS head. However, no one really said why this might be true. So what do yall think? Any truth to this? If so, why would this head be better?
The only reason its better is it has the SLS mount cast in the head. Other than that they are identical to the 300D/CD/SD heads.

Quote:what about simply port matching. Looking at my head and gasket indicates A LOT of room to work with.
Port matching needs to be done between the ports on the head and manifold, not the gasket. The gasket holes are actually a bit larger than both, giving you the illusion that there is a big size difference between the two.

Quote:Valves? Bigger valves could help this engine. Why not go for it?
The head does not have pressed in valve seats, you would have to have the seats renitrided but I don't see why it can't work.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

06-06-2008, 07:45 PM #3
bigger valves = more stress on camshaft
GREASY_BEAST
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM #3

bigger valves = more stress on camshaft

tantank79
T3-45

06-07-2008, 02:04 AM #4
Yah, but people still do it, so it cant be prohibitively bad.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE
tantank79
06-07-2008, 02:04 AM #4

Yah, but people still do it, so it cant be prohibitively bad.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average