STD Maintenance General Glow plugs quit on me...

Glow plugs quit on me...

Glow plugs quit on me...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Secondaries
TA 0301

01-09-2010, 10:08 PM #1
My problems started a couple weeks ago when the weather started getting colder. It took a few cycles of the ignition switch to get the preglow lamp to even come on. Then I'd cycle it a few more times to get a good hot start. As of Thursday, however, no amount of cycling will get the preglow lamp to light. I thought it may just be a burned out lamp bulb, but even after 10 cycles, the engine just lugs over without starting. Interestingly, the preglow lamp does light up when I unplug the relay power plug from the box behind the headlight.

The 80A strip fuse is fine. I've been assured the plugs are relatively new. That just leaves the relay. Am I missing something? Or should I just go ahead and buy a new relay?
Secondaries
01-09-2010, 10:08 PM #1

My problems started a couple weeks ago when the weather started getting colder. It took a few cycles of the ignition switch to get the preglow lamp to even come on. Then I'd cycle it a few more times to get a good hot start. As of Thursday, however, no amount of cycling will get the preglow lamp to light. I thought it may just be a burned out lamp bulb, but even after 10 cycles, the engine just lugs over without starting. Interestingly, the preglow lamp does light up when I unplug the relay power plug from the box behind the headlight.

The 80A strip fuse is fine. I've been assured the plugs are relatively new. That just leaves the relay. Am I missing something? Or should I just go ahead and buy a new relay?

ForcedInduction
Banned

01-10-2010, 07:20 AM #2
(01-09-2010, 10:08 PM)Secondaries It took a few cycles of the ignition switch to get the preglow lamp to even come on.
Thats a pretty good sign the relay is dying.

Quote:Then I'd cycle it a few more times to get a good hot start.
There is no point in doing that. The light does not determine how long they will glow, the plugs stay on from when you turn on the key until you crank the engine (or 35-60 seconds, whichever comes first).
ForcedInduction
01-10-2010, 07:20 AM #2

(01-09-2010, 10:08 PM)Secondaries It took a few cycles of the ignition switch to get the preglow lamp to even come on.
Thats a pretty good sign the relay is dying.

Quote:Then I'd cycle it a few more times to get a good hot start.
There is no point in doing that. The light does not determine how long they will glow, the plugs stay on from when you turn on the key until you crank the engine (or 35-60 seconds, whichever comes first).

Secondaries
TA 0301

01-11-2010, 05:45 PM #3
A followup post. I swapped my preglow relay with a friend's known working one, and I'm having the same problem. No preglow lamp at startup, but it does light like normal with the power-to-plugs socket unplugged.

Where do I look next? Bite the bullet and buy new plugs?
Secondaries
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM #3

A followup post. I swapped my preglow relay with a friend's known working one, and I'm having the same problem. No preglow lamp at startup, but it does light like normal with the power-to-plugs socket unplugged.

Jambo
GTA2056V

09-07-2010, 06:35 AM #4
(01-11-2010, 05:45 PM)Secondaries A followup post. I swapped my preglow relay with a friend's known working one, and I'm having the same problem. No preglow lamp at startup, but it does light like normal with the power-to-plugs socket unplugged.

My 290 G is also having problems with the glow plugs.
As far as I know when the Glow light does not light up at start up it indicates one or more glow plugs as being faulty.
Once I have started the engine the glow light does come on for a while.
I have measured the resistance of the glow plugs (should be very low ie. 2ohm) and mine seems to show that I have 3 faulty glow plugs (in the kOhm range).
I would measure the resistance af the glow plugs and replace the faulty one unless you can afford to get the set.
This post was last modified: 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM by Jambo.
Jambo
09-07-2010, 06:35 AM #4

(01-11-2010, 05:45 PM)Secondaries A followup post. I swapped my preglow relay with a friend's known working one, and I'm having the same problem. No preglow lamp at startup, but it does light like normal with the power-to-plugs socket unplugged.

My 290 G is also having problems with the glow plugs.
As far as I know when the Glow light does not light up at start up it indicates one or more glow plugs as being faulty.
Once I have started the engine the glow light does come on for a while.
I have measured the resistance of the glow plugs (should be very low ie. 2ohm) and mine seems to show that I have 3 faulty glow plugs (in the kOhm range).
I would measure the resistance af the glow plugs and replace the faulty one unless you can afford to get the set.

winmutt
bitbanger

09-07-2010, 10:31 AM #5
Slightly old post. Big Grin 290G? What engine is that?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM #5

Slightly old post. Big Grin 290G? What engine is that?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

Jambo
GTA2056V

09-09-2010, 12:39 AM #6
Big Grin
ooops did not look at the dates.Big Grin

290G = 290 GD Merc Gelaendewagen.Smile

But, maybe this post will help someone with a smilar problem.
Jambo
09-09-2010, 12:39 AM #6

Big Grin
ooops did not look at the dates.Big Grin

290G = 290 GD Merc Gelaendewagen.Smile

But, maybe this post will help someone with a smilar problem.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average