STD Other Projects CID Vicious' 'Donkey', 240D

CID Vicious' 'Donkey', 240D

CID Vicious' 'Donkey', 240D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

01-08-2010, 10:47 PM #1
So I finally feel I've done enough to this car to actually warrant starting a profile for it. I started out with an early 80's 240D, at first I thought the car was brown on tan, it was so oxidized. It sat in a field for at least a year - I knew I'd recognized my former employer's old tow truck, and then I noticed the car taste. No way it wasn't, oh, there's the old Ford van. I found out later that the friend I was led to this yard by was sleeping in said van, and that my old boss would catch him once in awhile and give him hell over it. I wandered over to this very car and looked through the window - 'no shit, a stick!' I'd always intended on talking to the guy about it, and eventually, when the time was right, I got my chance.

I started working for the guy again a year later, and he needed cash to keep the doors open. I REALLY wanted to go diesel - I must have, because I had a modded Honda Civic at the time that I was really happy with - D16 VTEC SOHC with a hot cam, ported head, 2.5 inch exhaust, suspension work, I'd just completed a good rattle can paint job. Faster, better handling, same to better mileage... However it was a salvage title car, so I got what I could: 1500 bucks. Walked right over to my boss and handed him 700 bucks, and after a few days I uncovered this 'beauty':

[Image: Photo11.jpg]

Ah, good times. Can't pass judgment on my friend camping in the van, though, because I myself started out not with one of the world's slowest stock cars, but one of the fastest RVs. Plain Engrish translation; I started out working on this car as a home improvement project. Then I moved on up to having a roof again, but this is what I saw out my 'bedroom window' many a night:

[Image: DriversSeat-1.jpg]

When I got the car, it was in sad shape. I still don't know what a set of manual climate controls for a W123 look like, mine have the original 'pots' but the panel, knobs, etc are all gone. (That was a great upgrade - my Honda had heat!). A tow truck had lunched the muffler and the exhaust was truncated right behind the axle. Oh, and the axle, kuh-KLUNK. I had to take the word of a lot of people when they said these cars could be real fun to drive, because I was stuck trying not to snap what was left of my axle. At least I had a matched set of Hel-Mart tires on a combination of steel (front) and steel-look aluminum (SLA for short) in the back. 185 75 14s. Yay.

Oh, but then I backed up over a piece of rebar embedded in concrete. Total loss of a tire, I had to drive to the shop on my spare - a studded snow tire! My boss gave me a steel wheel (different style, of course) and dried out old tire, different size (to the Benz's credit, the alignment wasn't knocked out of whack by six months of driving like this). The stock radio worked...sometimes. Got tired of listening to NPR after one too many commercial-free hours sponsored by either Monsanto or Exxon-Mobil. Used to kind of dig listening to classical in the car though, just kind of fit the mood back then. I wanted a diesel so bad I traded my pocket rocket for this...(ok, plus 800 bucks cash)...at least it was a cush ride, even though the shocks were blown out.

Eventually I got to messing around. Pulled the EGR flap and eventually the condenser and collector for the AC, cruise control and associated linkages. Nice improvement, for awhile I was driving it with that and just the resonator, I do kind of miss the old aircraft drone of the exhaust, but one too many close calls with cops looking for easy tickets let me to a crinkle pipe and a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler. Quiet as a mouse now, at least in comparison to what it was.

First thing, before the exhaust was even done, was to replace the back axles with a pair of new Empi units, which have held up great so far. I haven't been kind - now it's canyon runs and nice little drifts into my driveway.

I got my boss to pony up for a 300D to experiment on and eventually flip. When I got some 15s for that car, the chrome Bundts eventually wandered over to my car. Couldn't help myself, and worth every penny - the 205 70 14s are way grippier, even though two are their way out and the others are mismatched brands.

Got to experimenting and tried the 300D springs in this car - so far front only but this week (I swear!) for the rears. 300D front springs with two coils cut is, frankly, the shit on this car. That soft, spongy stock feel, gone. All of that nose weight, two inches closer to the ground, but with plenty of travel and oil pan clearance (I'm going to talk to my friend across the street about welding on some pan guards soon, though). The front is reassuring - now the back needs to catch up. The front is awake, agressive and on meth compared to the sleepy feel of the stock setup, and the back is still asleep in my car. I will say that putting into a four wheel drift is thrilling and very controllable, but I want more. MORE!

I pulled the stock air cleaner off. Everyone says there's nothing to be gained by going with a cold air intake. I say HORSESHIT. If that old style air intake was any good, they wouldn't have had to change to the later style. To give you an idea, for performance turbo engines you'd want an intake manifold with twice as much displacement as your engine. Do you see even 2.4L of room in that box? Nope. "But it's a cold air intake" - yeah, technically. Still breathing through a (thoroughly crinkled and turbulent) straw.

I was originally going for better filtration (can the paper filter argument, it'll get one when I can afford it - 11 bucks for the intake tubing, fittings, AND cone filter barely used - lots of stores charge more for a replacement stock filter!) since the stock air cleaner bounced around like a retarded monkey on crank. Sometimes it would behave and seal, and sometimes it wouldn't get down the block without rattling away.

Used a tight 90 degree ABS elbow from the Home Despot. Ported the inside of the turn some, 'bored' the inside of one side, and 'adapted' the over-2" outside with some scotch tape and strips of cardboard. Some RV sealant and viola, now you too can rock a real intake even on an EGR NA 61X. Great sound and it makes a difference, in throttle response if not actual power (which I think it does based on it being more relaxed at the same highway speeds I always drive). The throttle response is worth it alone, the response is one of the bigger drawbacks of the diesel anyway.

I also got some metal lathing from HD and made a mesh style grille insert. Tried it in flat black at first, but it looked stupid - farther than 10 feet away it looked like there was nothing there at all. So I got some aluminum spray paint and it looks fine now, enough shine to look nice but not cheesy. My old grille was broken and it was easy and cheap to make - like, twelve bucks with primer and paint. I'm looking into the under-bumper vents for more places it can be utilized.

I'm looking at getting a turbo hooked up in this thing. The 300D is back in my sights again as well, now that I realized the car is running a K26 and no ALDA I think the bubbling problem must be pretty severe even when I think 'full power' is available. It'll be interesting to compare the two. I still have the W58 transmission, I want to see if it would work better with the 616 or the 617 in a W123. If I don't put a V8 in the car I might as well get it going for one or the other.

So that's where I'm at now. I'm always thinking about project Blasphemy, of course, which Donkey may or may not end up becoming. I don't know, though, a 400E is starting to look awful good (damn you, Eric! Wink )

How did I come by the name Donkey? Well...the car is certainly a 'mule' for my own experimentation. And also, I saw the 'snout', the grille in the reflection of a new truck's tailgate, and it looked like Donkey's nose from Retarded Animal Babies.

[Image: 7002268v1_240x240_Front.jpg]

So now what do you call it when you catch some fool sleeping and run away from 'em in a 240D? You guessed it -

[Image: da9d28372a711b2f5abe36b5f6456a40.jpg]

And yes, the figure in the background is doing exactly what you're cringing at. "Whoo-ee, I'm a Butter Dumpster!" Big Grin

Once the turbo goes in, I'll be Donkey Punching with a vengeance! Hell, I might just cannibalize the 300D now that I think of it...Idea
This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 10:57 PM by CID Vicious.
CID Vicious
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM #1

So I finally feel I've done enough to this car to actually warrant starting a profile for it. I started out with an early 80's 240D, at first I thought the car was brown on tan, it was so oxidized. It sat in a field for at least a year - I knew I'd recognized my former employer's old tow truck, and then I noticed the car taste. No way it wasn't, oh, there's the old Ford van. I found out later that the friend I was led to this yard by was sleeping in said van, and that my old boss would catch him once in awhile and give him hell over it. I wandered over to this very car and looked through the window - 'no shit, a stick!' I'd always intended on talking to the guy about it, and eventually, when the time was right, I got my chance.

I started working for the guy again a year later, and he needed cash to keep the doors open. I REALLY wanted to go diesel - I must have, because I had a modded Honda Civic at the time that I was really happy with - D16 VTEC SOHC with a hot cam, ported head, 2.5 inch exhaust, suspension work, I'd just completed a good rattle can paint job. Faster, better handling, same to better mileage... However it was a salvage title car, so I got what I could: 1500 bucks. Walked right over to my boss and handed him 700 bucks, and after a few days I uncovered this 'beauty':

[Image: Photo11.jpg]

Ah, good times. Can't pass judgment on my friend camping in the van, though, because I myself started out not with one of the world's slowest stock cars, but one of the fastest RVs. Plain Engrish translation; I started out working on this car as a home improvement project. Then I moved on up to having a roof again, but this is what I saw out my 'bedroom window' many a night:

[Image: DriversSeat-1.jpg]

When I got the car, it was in sad shape. I still don't know what a set of manual climate controls for a W123 look like, mine have the original 'pots' but the panel, knobs, etc are all gone. (That was a great upgrade - my Honda had heat!). A tow truck had lunched the muffler and the exhaust was truncated right behind the axle. Oh, and the axle, kuh-KLUNK. I had to take the word of a lot of people when they said these cars could be real fun to drive, because I was stuck trying not to snap what was left of my axle. At least I had a matched set of Hel-Mart tires on a combination of steel (front) and steel-look aluminum (SLA for short) in the back. 185 75 14s. Yay.

Oh, but then I backed up over a piece of rebar embedded in concrete. Total loss of a tire, I had to drive to the shop on my spare - a studded snow tire! My boss gave me a steel wheel (different style, of course) and dried out old tire, different size (to the Benz's credit, the alignment wasn't knocked out of whack by six months of driving like this). The stock radio worked...sometimes. Got tired of listening to NPR after one too many commercial-free hours sponsored by either Monsanto or Exxon-Mobil. Used to kind of dig listening to classical in the car though, just kind of fit the mood back then. I wanted a diesel so bad I traded my pocket rocket for this...(ok, plus 800 bucks cash)...at least it was a cush ride, even though the shocks were blown out.

Eventually I got to messing around. Pulled the EGR flap and eventually the condenser and collector for the AC, cruise control and associated linkages. Nice improvement, for awhile I was driving it with that and just the resonator, I do kind of miss the old aircraft drone of the exhaust, but one too many close calls with cops looking for easy tickets let me to a crinkle pipe and a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler. Quiet as a mouse now, at least in comparison to what it was.

First thing, before the exhaust was even done, was to replace the back axles with a pair of new Empi units, which have held up great so far. I haven't been kind - now it's canyon runs and nice little drifts into my driveway.

I got my boss to pony up for a 300D to experiment on and eventually flip. When I got some 15s for that car, the chrome Bundts eventually wandered over to my car. Couldn't help myself, and worth every penny - the 205 70 14s are way grippier, even though two are their way out and the others are mismatched brands.

Got to experimenting and tried the 300D springs in this car - so far front only but this week (I swear!) for the rears. 300D front springs with two coils cut is, frankly, the shit on this car. That soft, spongy stock feel, gone. All of that nose weight, two inches closer to the ground, but with plenty of travel and oil pan clearance (I'm going to talk to my friend across the street about welding on some pan guards soon, though). The front is reassuring - now the back needs to catch up. The front is awake, agressive and on meth compared to the sleepy feel of the stock setup, and the back is still asleep in my car. I will say that putting into a four wheel drift is thrilling and very controllable, but I want more. MORE!

I pulled the stock air cleaner off. Everyone says there's nothing to be gained by going with a cold air intake. I say HORSESHIT. If that old style air intake was any good, they wouldn't have had to change to the later style. To give you an idea, for performance turbo engines you'd want an intake manifold with twice as much displacement as your engine. Do you see even 2.4L of room in that box? Nope. "But it's a cold air intake" - yeah, technically. Still breathing through a (thoroughly crinkled and turbulent) straw.

I was originally going for better filtration (can the paper filter argument, it'll get one when I can afford it - 11 bucks for the intake tubing, fittings, AND cone filter barely used - lots of stores charge more for a replacement stock filter!) since the stock air cleaner bounced around like a retarded monkey on crank. Sometimes it would behave and seal, and sometimes it wouldn't get down the block without rattling away.

Used a tight 90 degree ABS elbow from the Home Despot. Ported the inside of the turn some, 'bored' the inside of one side, and 'adapted' the over-2" outside with some scotch tape and strips of cardboard. Some RV sealant and viola, now you too can rock a real intake even on an EGR NA 61X. Great sound and it makes a difference, in throttle response if not actual power (which I think it does based on it being more relaxed at the same highway speeds I always drive). The throttle response is worth it alone, the response is one of the bigger drawbacks of the diesel anyway.

I also got some metal lathing from HD and made a mesh style grille insert. Tried it in flat black at first, but it looked stupid - farther than 10 feet away it looked like there was nothing there at all. So I got some aluminum spray paint and it looks fine now, enough shine to look nice but not cheesy. My old grille was broken and it was easy and cheap to make - like, twelve bucks with primer and paint. I'm looking into the under-bumper vents for more places it can be utilized.

I'm looking at getting a turbo hooked up in this thing. The 300D is back in my sights again as well, now that I realized the car is running a K26 and no ALDA I think the bubbling problem must be pretty severe even when I think 'full power' is available. It'll be interesting to compare the two. I still have the W58 transmission, I want to see if it would work better with the 616 or the 617 in a W123. If I don't put a V8 in the car I might as well get it going for one or the other.

So that's where I'm at now. I'm always thinking about project Blasphemy, of course, which Donkey may or may not end up becoming. I don't know, though, a 400E is starting to look awful good (damn you, Eric! Wink )

How did I come by the name Donkey? Well...the car is certainly a 'mule' for my own experimentation. And also, I saw the 'snout', the grille in the reflection of a new truck's tailgate, and it looked like Donkey's nose from Retarded Animal Babies.

[Image: 7002268v1_240x240_Front.jpg]

So now what do you call it when you catch some fool sleeping and run away from 'em in a 240D? You guessed it -

[Image: da9d28372a711b2f5abe36b5f6456a40.jpg]

And yes, the figure in the background is doing exactly what you're cringing at. "Whoo-ee, I'm a Butter Dumpster!" Big Grin

Once the turbo goes in, I'll be Donkey Punching with a vengeance! Hell, I might just cannibalize the 300D now that I think of it...Idea

JB3
Superturbo

01-10-2010, 05:43 PM #2
Love to see some more pics of it if you have them, especially the engine compartment. Looks like a pretty solid car from the pic. I like that color brown on these cars, is that with the oxidized paint, or did you bring it back to life somehow?

Sounds like an interesting project, you should definitely cannibalize the 300D if possible.
JB3
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM #2

Love to see some more pics of it if you have them, especially the engine compartment. Looks like a pretty solid car from the pic. I like that color brown on these cars, is that with the oxidized paint, or did you bring it back to life somehow?

Sounds like an interesting project, you should definitely cannibalize the 300D if possible.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

01-10-2010, 06:48 PM #3
I think I'm just going to wait until I can afford to go back to pick a part. I need a few little odds and ends anyway (I'm currently swapping lugnuts from one car to the other to test drive the 300D - got 'root beer' in the prefilter, soft line in the back is bad. Going to get two and replace the 240D one as well just to be sure. The 300D is currently making less power than the 240D, if you can believe that!

It'd be a mean trick, pushpin on someone's fuel line right before a race...Big Grin

I'd like to be able to take both of these cars to the strip one day and put them back to back once the 616 is turbo'd...I lived in LA for a long time and simply 'throwing a stick' into ANY car for most of the residents of that city is at least a real pain in the ass, if not completely impossible. 'Throwing a turbo' onto a car is doable, however. And if you can get anywhere near a 617a with a 616T, it'd be worth it for people of limited means and/or budget.

Plus I'm tired of finding only people who have crappy 240D-T's, either an ancient turbo, bad motor, dead relative...always SOMETHING. No solid data on these cars. I'd like to get it on a dyno if it works well, try a K26 back to back with a Liberty VGT or something of that nature. And see how it behaves, whether it'll last a year and maybe if it does take a good hard look at it - before/after compression #s (I'm working on it), things like that.
(01-10-2010, 05:43 PM)dropnosky Love to see some more pics of it if you have them, especially the engine compartment. Looks like a pretty solid car from the pic. I like that color brown on these cars, is that with the oxidized paint, or did you bring it back to life somehow?

Oh, and it's maroon. It was so oxidized before I thought it was just turd brown when I got it. Then I found out it was 'Magoo Maroon' Wink. 3M rubbing compound (Perfect-It I or II, I think the stuff in the auto stores is I) is magick goo that wiil make almost anything look better. Paint, trim, lenses, anything oxidized. I'm going to use it to polish the valve cover when I finally get around to doing the valves on these cars.

I'm going to get some pics together in the next couple of days. I'm going to look for some 'real seats' for this car, since I might put the front seats in my 300D to sell. I'd like something that keeps the ability to sleep while on the road in the fronts while improving lateral support. The front seats on the W123s are the best for sleeping I've ever used, and I should know Wink

I'll probably add them to the bottom of the thread rather than the OP, that thing's pretty long as it is!
This post was last modified: 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM by CID Vicious.
CID Vicious
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM #3

I think I'm just going to wait until I can afford to go back to pick a part. I need a few little odds and ends anyway (I'm currently swapping lugnuts from one car to the other to test drive the 300D - got 'root beer' in the prefilter, soft line in the back is bad. Going to get two and replace the 240D one as well just to be sure. The 300D is currently making less power than the 240D, if you can believe that!

It'd be a mean trick, pushpin on someone's fuel line right before a race...Big Grin

I'd like to be able to take both of these cars to the strip one day and put them back to back once the 616 is turbo'd...I lived in LA for a long time and simply 'throwing a stick' into ANY car for most of the residents of that city is at least a real pain in the ass, if not completely impossible. 'Throwing a turbo' onto a car is doable, however. And if you can get anywhere near a 617a with a 616T, it'd be worth it for people of limited means and/or budget.

Plus I'm tired of finding only people who have crappy 240D-T's, either an ancient turbo, bad motor, dead relative...always SOMETHING. No solid data on these cars. I'd like to get it on a dyno if it works well, try a K26 back to back with a Liberty VGT or something of that nature. And see how it behaves, whether it'll last a year and maybe if it does take a good hard look at it - before/after compression #s (I'm working on it), things like that.

(01-10-2010, 05:43 PM)dropnosky Love to see some more pics of it if you have them, especially the engine compartment. Looks like a pretty solid car from the pic. I like that color brown on these cars, is that with the oxidized paint, or did you bring it back to life somehow?

Oh, and it's maroon. It was so oxidized before I thought it was just turd brown when I got it. Then I found out it was 'Magoo Maroon' Wink. 3M rubbing compound (Perfect-It I or II, I think the stuff in the auto stores is I) is magick goo that wiil make almost anything look better. Paint, trim, lenses, anything oxidized. I'm going to use it to polish the valve cover when I finally get around to doing the valves on these cars.

I'm going to get some pics together in the next couple of days. I'm going to look for some 'real seats' for this car, since I might put the front seats in my 300D to sell. I'd like something that keeps the ability to sleep while on the road in the fronts while improving lateral support. The front seats on the W123s are the best for sleeping I've ever used, and I should know Wink

I'll probably add them to the bottom of the thread rather than the OP, that thing's pretty long as it is!

CID Vicious
Unregistered

03-26-2010, 10:54 PM #4
Some pictures, finally. Here you can see the 'lathe' grille.

[Image: Donkey240D.jpg]

The Intake System:

[Image: IntakeSystem3.jpg]

Clear view of where the cold air comes from:

[Image: IntakeSystem2.jpg]

My new shift knob. Miata-tastic.
[Image: ShiftKnob.jpg]

Surprisingly - considering the whole 20 dollars in modifications aside from a set of Bundts and if you don't count buying the Klönn compressor for the spring cutting - this is a very hoonable car now. I enjoy driving it despite it's horsepower handicap, it's lack of a fifth gear, that huge wheel, 14" wheels on what should have been a 15" only class of car. On paper it's all wrong. But when you're zooming past the schmoes on the highway or zipping up a canyon road it's so right. And I'm still running mystery pads on worn rotors, anonymous (maybe - maybe Monroe's), mismatched tires in a 'not huge, and certainly not sport' size of 205-70-14.

Currently I'm running the 300D springs in front with 240D springs minus a coil in back on the Bundts. The 'Hot Wheels' rims were off of an S class and they're wide enough to rub, but I'm still only at 205 on the front tires so it's kind of pointless - they're back on the 300D. The 300D is getting it's front springs back in front soon - it was fun but the 300D has to get sold and the 240Ds on the front aren't as appealing as I'd like them to be.

Although rumours of a Porsche 914 were around not too long ago my friend's wife intervened and decided that even though he just got a near quarter of a mil inheritance that he really needs another G note out of a twisted up accident victim. If I'm going to get hosed for a grand for a car I don't need, I can probably get a donor chassis for Project Blasphemy, a Craigslist V8 and just get the BS worked out. Or I might just run a turbo on this car for awhile and see how that works out. Stay tuned...
CID Vicious
03-26-2010, 10:54 PM #4

Some pictures, finally. Here you can see the 'lathe' grille.

[Image: Donkey240D.jpg]

The Intake System:

[Image: IntakeSystem3.jpg]

Clear view of where the cold air comes from:

[Image: IntakeSystem2.jpg]

My new shift knob. Miata-tastic.
[Image: ShiftKnob.jpg]

Surprisingly - considering the whole 20 dollars in modifications aside from a set of Bundts and if you don't count buying the Klönn compressor for the spring cutting - this is a very hoonable car now. I enjoy driving it despite it's horsepower handicap, it's lack of a fifth gear, that huge wheel, 14" wheels on what should have been a 15" only class of car. On paper it's all wrong. But when you're zooming past the schmoes on the highway or zipping up a canyon road it's so right. And I'm still running mystery pads on worn rotors, anonymous (maybe - maybe Monroe's), mismatched tires in a 'not huge, and certainly not sport' size of 205-70-14.

Currently I'm running the 300D springs in front with 240D springs minus a coil in back on the Bundts. The 'Hot Wheels' rims were off of an S class and they're wide enough to rub, but I'm still only at 205 on the front tires so it's kind of pointless - they're back on the 300D. The 300D is getting it's front springs back in front soon - it was fun but the 300D has to get sold and the 240Ds on the front aren't as appealing as I'd like them to be.

Although rumours of a Porsche 914 were around not too long ago my friend's wife intervened and decided that even though he just got a near quarter of a mil inheritance that he really needs another G note out of a twisted up accident victim. If I'm going to get hosed for a grand for a car I don't need, I can probably get a donor chassis for Project Blasphemy, a Craigslist V8 and just get the BS worked out. Or I might just run a turbo on this car for awhile and see how that works out. Stay tuned...

400Eric
TA 0301

03-29-2010, 03:58 AM #5
So maybe this means the E420 badged 400E should be put back on the table.....

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
85 Volvo 740 turbo diesel "Bolbo 1"
90 Volvo 740 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 2"
93 Volvo 940 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 5"
89 300E "Benzer 1" 15.924 uncorrected at Pomona
93 400E "Benzer 3" 14.200 uncorrected at Fontana
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
87 300D "Benzer 7"  Big Grin
87 300D "Benzer 8"  Big Grin
85 Dodge flatbed tow truck "Festus"
71 AMC Javelin AMX 401 "Sidewinder"
74 AMC Hornet 401 "C.K.10" 13.63 U.C.
74 Bricklin SV1 "Presto" (1 of the AMC 360 powered ones)
94 Ford F700 Cummins 6BT Allison AT545 (all factory!) "Thomas"
400Eric
03-29-2010, 03:58 AM #5

So maybe this means the E420 badged 400E should be put back on the table.....

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

CID Vicious
Unregistered

03-29-2010, 12:25 PM #6
Yeah. When you add everything up and count the hours of work a 400E makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider that you're already dealing with a car with better wheels, brakes, rear suspension...

Meanwhile for like 300 bucks I can get this car turbocharged no problem. Just keep all of the NA stuff in case it starts to scare me, but I doubt I'll have a lot of the problems people are worried about. If turbocharging 616s was such a bad idea I'm sure all of those well heeled 240D owners with a very expensive lawn ornament would have put Callaway out of business a long time ago. Besides, since a lot of scholars think that 666 isn't the number of the Beast, but 616 is, well...Wink

In any case I'm still enjoying the car in it's stockish state. All of my mods so far have been improvements - the shifter most of all, I'm 6'2" and I hate reaching for third like I have to with the 'beer tap' shifter. More effort but still worthwhile, especially since I just took some fiberglass resin and cast my own knob (20 bucks for something made by slaves in China out of 1/4 of a cent's worth of material? I'll pass, thanks). The knob is actually Orgonite, I wish I'd taken a pic before I sprayed it, got some quartz, a tiger's eye, magnetic hematite, and I think a piece of turquoise in there. "Good luck charm" that you have your hand on while driving like a nut anyway.

Mercedes did a fantastic job on this car if my discerning tastes are satisfied with such penny-ante hardware. What a set of real tires, new Bilsteins, and triple digit power would be like...
CID Vicious
03-29-2010, 12:25 PM #6

Yeah. When you add everything up and count the hours of work a 400E makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider that you're already dealing with a car with better wheels, brakes, rear suspension...

Meanwhile for like 300 bucks I can get this car turbocharged no problem. Just keep all of the NA stuff in case it starts to scare me, but I doubt I'll have a lot of the problems people are worried about. If turbocharging 616s was such a bad idea I'm sure all of those well heeled 240D owners with a very expensive lawn ornament would have put Callaway out of business a long time ago. Besides, since a lot of scholars think that 666 isn't the number of the Beast, but 616 is, well...Wink

In any case I'm still enjoying the car in it's stockish state. All of my mods so far have been improvements - the shifter most of all, I'm 6'2" and I hate reaching for third like I have to with the 'beer tap' shifter. More effort but still worthwhile, especially since I just took some fiberglass resin and cast my own knob (20 bucks for something made by slaves in China out of 1/4 of a cent's worth of material? I'll pass, thanks). The knob is actually Orgonite, I wish I'd taken a pic before I sprayed it, got some quartz, a tiger's eye, magnetic hematite, and I think a piece of turquoise in there. "Good luck charm" that you have your hand on while driving like a nut anyway.

Mercedes did a fantastic job on this car if my discerning tastes are satisfied with such penny-ante hardware. What a set of real tires, new Bilsteins, and triple digit power would be like...

400Eric
TA 0301

03-31-2010, 07:43 AM #7
You need to come to Fontana this Sat. There is a good chance there is gonna be a low buck, bio-fueled, turbocharged 240D there driven by a guy named Tyler. I'll link you to the thread we are talking on later tonight. Right now my "copy/paste" is failing me again.

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
400Eric
03-31-2010, 07:43 AM #7

You need to come to Fontana this Sat. There is a good chance there is gonna be a low buck, bio-fueled, turbocharged 240D there driven by a guy named Tyler. I'll link you to the thread we are talking on later tonight. Right now my "copy/paste" is failing me again.

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

400Eric
TA 0301

04-01-2010, 12:46 AM #8
Copy/paste still not working. And the "240D" is actually a bio-fueled 2.5 factory turbo 5 cylinder OM602 powered 190D. You should join us!

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
400Eric
04-01-2010, 12:46 AM #8

Copy/paste still not working. And the "240D" is actually a bio-fueled 2.5 factory turbo 5 cylinder OM602 powered 190D. You should join us!

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

CID Vicious
Unregistered

04-01-2010, 12:52 AM #9
Unfortunately I'm stuck working - rained out today.

It'd be interesting to see how fast such a swap is.
CID Vicious
04-01-2010, 12:52 AM #9

Unfortunately I'm stuck working - rained out today.

It'd be interesting to see how fast such a swap is.

400Eric
TA 0301

04-08-2010, 05:34 AM #10
It's not a swap, it's a rare factory 2.5 turbo OM602 powered 190D.
He was stuck in the 18s but we all know there's way more left in the car. He''ll be back and he'll do better. I'm trying to get him to join here and get some advice.

I hope you still have my phone number as I guess we can't PM each other here anymore....

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
400Eric
04-08-2010, 05:34 AM #10

It's not a swap, it's a rare factory 2.5 turbo OM602 powered 190D.
He was stuck in the 18s but we all know there's way more left in the car. He''ll be back and he'll do better. I'm trying to get him to join here and get some advice.

I hope you still have my phone number as I guess we can't PM each other here anymore....

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-08-2010, 08:27 AM #11
(04-08-2010, 05:34 AM)400Eric as I guess we can't PM each other here anymore....

He'll be back tomorrow if he chooses to act his age.
ForcedInduction
04-08-2010, 08:27 AM #11

(04-08-2010, 05:34 AM)400Eric as I guess we can't PM each other here anymore....

He'll be back tomorrow if he chooses to act his age.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average