STD Tuning Engine DIY element swap

DIY element swap

DIY element swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

engineengineer
Naturally-aspirated

02-02-2019, 01:01 PM #1
Hi all, if I was to swap the 6mm elements from a 606 EDC pump into my 5.5mm RSF n/a606 pump, what are the chances of it running right without being setup on a bench? If not, are there any DIY methods to balance the pump? 
Thanks
engineengineer
02-02-2019, 01:01 PM #1

Hi all, if I was to swap the 6mm elements from a 606 EDC pump into my 5.5mm RSF n/a606 pump, what are the chances of it running right without being setup on a bench? If not, are there any DIY methods to balance the pump? 
Thanks

baldur
Fast

02-02-2019, 01:46 PM #2
No chance of it running right without being set up on a bench in my opinion, and it won't perform good without having the governor adjusted too.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-02-2019, 01:46 PM #2

No chance of it running right without being set up on a bench in my opinion, and it won't perform good without having the governor adjusted too.

Baldur Gislason

engineengineer
Naturally-aspirated

02-02-2019, 08:54 PM #3
(02-02-2019, 01:46 PM)baldur No chance of it running right without being set up on a bench in my opinion, and it won't perform good without having the governor adjusted too.

Thank you Baldur. What would you say the performance of a 5.5mm pump on a 606 turbo engine would be? Pump is turned up.
engineengineer
02-02-2019, 08:54 PM #3

(02-02-2019, 01:46 PM)baldur No chance of it running right without being set up on a bench in my opinion, and it won't perform good without having the governor adjusted too.

Thank you Baldur. What would you say the performance of a 5.5mm pump on a 606 turbo engine would be? Pump is turned up.

baldur
Fast

02-03-2019, 05:24 PM #4
5.5mm pump on 606 I would say is capable of 150-160 horsepower with no low-rpm torque.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-03-2019, 05:24 PM #4

5.5mm pump on 606 I would say is capable of 150-160 horsepower with no low-rpm torque.

Baldur Gislason

mmetzdavid
TA 0301

02-04-2019, 08:37 AM #5
Just wondering, never been there, but what if you measure exactly (very precisely) the distance set-up on the EDC pump between the element connections on the rack (where you fine-adjust the rotation of elements compared to a given rack position) and after the swap you adjust these distances to be exactly the same on the M pump? And after, it is just a question of fine adjustement of the rack itself, no need to adjust elements between themselves. Oh, and of course you must put elements in the order they came out (I mean every element for the cilynder it was used for, don't mix them up). This should pretty much balance the elements between themselves, if they were correctly balanced on the EDC pump to start with.
mmetzdavid
02-04-2019, 08:37 AM #5

Just wondering, never been there, but what if you measure exactly (very precisely) the distance set-up on the EDC pump between the element connections on the rack (where you fine-adjust the rotation of elements compared to a given rack position) and after the swap you adjust these distances to be exactly the same on the M pump? And after, it is just a question of fine adjustement of the rack itself, no need to adjust elements between themselves. Oh, and of course you must put elements in the order they came out (I mean every element for the cilynder it was used for, don't mix them up). This should pretty much balance the elements between themselves, if they were correctly balanced on the EDC pump to start with.

zeeman
Holset

02-04-2019, 12:12 PM #6
(02-04-2019, 08:37 AM)mmetzdavid Just wondering, never been there, but what if you measure exactly (very precisely) the distance set-up on the EDC pump between the element connections on the rack (where you fine-adjust the rotation of elements compared to a given rack position) and after the swap you adjust these distances to be exactly the same on the M pump? And after, it is just a question of fine adjustement of the rack itself, no need to adjust elements between themselves. Oh, and of course you must put elements in the order they came out (I mean every element for the cilynder it was used for, don't mix them up). This should pretty much balance the elements between themselves, if they were correctly balanced on the EDC pump to start with.

You don't want to go there. Number one the cam is difficult to get out past the elements. And you need special tools to get the bearings out without screwing up the cam. You need a flow bench to adjust the elements. The injection pump is a precision piece.
Listen to the advise and have a professional do the work.
zeeman
02-04-2019, 12:12 PM #6

(02-04-2019, 08:37 AM)mmetzdavid Just wondering, never been there, but what if you measure exactly (very precisely) the distance set-up on the EDC pump between the element connections on the rack (where you fine-adjust the rotation of elements compared to a given rack position) and after the swap you adjust these distances to be exactly the same on the M pump? And after, it is just a question of fine adjustement of the rack itself, no need to adjust elements between themselves. Oh, and of course you must put elements in the order they came out (I mean every element for the cilynder it was used for, don't mix them up). This should pretty much balance the elements between themselves, if they were correctly balanced on the EDC pump to start with.

You don't want to go there. Number one the cam is difficult to get out past the elements. And you need special tools to get the bearings out without screwing up the cam. You need a flow bench to adjust the elements. The injection pump is a precision piece.
Listen to the advise and have a professional do the work.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average