STD Tuning Engine Om 606 prechamber Fail

Om 606 prechamber Fail

Om 606 prechamber Fail

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zeeman
Holset

11-27-2018, 03:09 AM #1
First run of a used engine in my latest conversion. Engine was noisy, sounded like a piston knock. Then it started missing.
Ran a compression check, number 5 had hardly any compression. Pulled head off and this is what I found, the prechamber had failed. Anyone have an idea what caused this?
Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
11-27-2018, 03:09 AM #1

First run of a used engine in my latest conversion. Engine was noisy, sounded like a piston knock. Then it started missing.
Ran a compression check, number 5 had hardly any compression. Pulled head off and this is what I found, the prechamber had failed. Anyone have an idea what caused this?

Attached Files
Image(s)

NZScott
HX30W 73/44mm

11-28-2018, 01:31 AM #2
I believe faulty nozzles do things like that...was a debate about that though somewhere

(by faulty I mean poor spray pattern/leaks below pop pressure)

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

NZScott
11-28-2018, 01:31 AM #2

I believe faulty nozzles do things like that...was a debate about that though somewhere

(by faulty I mean poor spray pattern/leaks below pop pressure)

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

Hercules
GT2559V

11-29-2018, 03:49 AM #3
Mercedes Benz  Says, caused by a drippy injector.
Hercules
11-29-2018, 03:49 AM #3

Mercedes Benz  Says, caused by a drippy injector.

jav1
GT2256V

11-29-2018, 08:03 AM #4
I'm no expert but #4 seems wetter than 6 or 3 as well?
jav1
11-29-2018, 08:03 AM #4

I'm no expert but #4 seems wetter than 6 or 3 as well?

atypicalguy
Holset

11-29-2018, 09:40 AM #5
(11-27-2018, 03:09 AM)zeeman First run of a used engine in my latest conversion. Engine was noisy, sounded like a piston knock. Then it started missing.

yes it is liquid fuel dripping onto the prechamber when the prechamber is glowing. Those prechamber tips get extremely hot and they cannot handle the rapid cooling. So if the injector starts to leak, the tip eventually falls off the prechamber and dances around inside the cylinder, which doesn't have any room for that sort of thing.
atypicalguy
11-29-2018, 09:40 AM #5

(11-27-2018, 03:09 AM)zeeman First run of a used engine in my latest conversion. Engine was noisy, sounded like a piston knock. Then it started missing.

yes it is liquid fuel dripping onto the prechamber when the prechamber is glowing. Those prechamber tips get extremely hot and they cannot handle the rapid cooling. So if the injector starts to leak, the tip eventually falls off the prechamber and dances around inside the cylinder, which doesn't have any room for that sort of thing.

zeeman
Holset

11-29-2018, 03:43 PM #6
(11-29-2018, 08:03 AM)jav1 I'm no expert but #4 seems wetter than 6 or 3 as well?

#4 also had some wall scoring from debris. It looks like a set of new pistons an boring. Yeah.
zeeman
11-29-2018, 03:43 PM #6

(11-29-2018, 08:03 AM)jav1 I'm no expert but #4 seems wetter than 6 or 3 as well?

#4 also had some wall scoring from debris. It looks like a set of new pistons an boring. Yeah.

jav1
GT2256V

11-29-2018, 04:08 PM #7
Ouch! Sorry man- that's a lot of extra work. Kanda makes me want to replace my nozzles now... just in case.
jav1
11-29-2018, 04:08 PM #7

Ouch! Sorry man- that's a lot of extra work. Kanda makes me want to replace my nozzles now... just in case.

zeeman
Holset

11-29-2018, 05:37 PM #8
(11-29-2018, 04:08 PM)jav1 Ouch!  Sorry man- that's a lot of extra work. Kanda makes me want to replace my nozzles now... just in case.

I always have the injectors rebuilt and the IP. pump recalibrated when I have the elements put in. This is for a customers conversion and I don't want any problems. But this happened before I purchased the used engine, and you don't know what the history is. May be a good idea to change the pre-chambers also.
zeeman
11-29-2018, 05:37 PM #8

(11-29-2018, 04:08 PM)jav1 Ouch!  Sorry man- that's a lot of extra work. Kanda makes me want to replace my nozzles now... just in case.

I always have the injectors rebuilt and the IP. pump recalibrated when I have the elements put in. This is for a customers conversion and I don't want any problems. But this happened before I purchased the used engine, and you don't know what the history is. May be a good idea to change the pre-chambers also.

zeeman
Holset

11-29-2018, 05:58 PM #9
(11-29-2018, 09:40 AM)atypicalguy

Just talked to Luke at DieselpumpUK and he agrees to the fuel dripping. Also said if the timing is too advanced will cause the problem also. Agreed that pulling pre-chambers out and inspecting for cracks was a wise idea.
zeeman
11-29-2018, 05:58 PM #9

(11-29-2018, 09:40 AM)atypicalguy

Just talked to Luke at DieselpumpUK and he agrees to the fuel dripping. Also said if the timing is too advanced will cause the problem also. Agreed that pulling pre-chambers out and inspecting for cracks was a wise idea.

atypicalguy
Holset

12-08-2018, 08:21 AM #10
Hard to build a business on motors of unclear provenance. Unless it was my car, I would pull the head and measure and inspect everything before installing. Pay me now, pay me later. People can handle expected expenses better than unexpected ones.
atypicalguy
12-08-2018, 08:21 AM #10

Hard to build a business on motors of unclear provenance. Unless it was my car, I would pull the head and measure and inspect everything before installing. Pay me now, pay me later. People can handle expected expenses better than unexpected ones.

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

12-10-2018, 12:57 PM #11
Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor it looks so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didint get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....
maneyc91
12-10-2018, 12:57 PM #11

Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor it looks so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didint get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

12-10-2018, 12:58 PM #12
Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor they look so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didnt get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....

editt:: my damage is actually isolated to just the #5 so i guess i got lucky there, my motor still has all its crosshatching after 200k
This post was last modified: 12-10-2018, 01:00 PM by maneyc91.
maneyc91
12-10-2018, 12:58 PM #12

Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor they look so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didnt get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....

editt:: my damage is actually isolated to just the #5 so i guess i got lucky there, my motor still has all its crosshatching after 200k

zeeman
Holset

12-12-2018, 01:02 PM #13
(12-08-2018, 08:21 AM)atypicalguy Hard to build a business on motors of unclear provenance. Unless it was my car, I would pull the head and measure and inspect everything before installing. Pay me now, pay me later. People can handle expected expenses better than unexpected ones.
The object was to buy low mile used engines, (under 150,000) so not have to rebuild them at and added cost. The usual checks, compression test, rebuild injectors, rebuild I.P pump and checking the bottom bearings while the pan is off should be sufficient.

This is another issue that needs to be addressed. The prechambers should be removed and checked and replaced if necessary. For the most part rebuilding a low mile engine is a waste of time and money. These engines hold up well normally and do not require them to be rebuilt unless they have excess miles.
zeeman
12-12-2018, 01:02 PM #13

(12-08-2018, 08:21 AM)atypicalguy Hard to build a business on motors of unclear provenance. Unless it was my car, I would pull the head and measure and inspect everything before installing. Pay me now, pay me later. People can handle expected expenses better than unexpected ones.
The object was to buy low mile used engines, (under 150,000) so not have to rebuild them at and added cost. The usual checks, compression test, rebuild injectors, rebuild I.P pump and checking the bottom bearings while the pan is off should be sufficient.

This is another issue that needs to be addressed. The prechambers should be removed and checked and replaced if necessary. For the most part rebuilding a low mile engine is a waste of time and money. These engines hold up well normally and do not require them to be rebuilt unless they have excess miles.

zeeman
Holset

12-12-2018, 01:08 PM #14
(12-10-2018, 12:58 PM)maneyc91 Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor they look so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didnt get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....

The number 5 cylinder seems to be the problem cylinder. You might also want to do the Diesel Meken thermostat bypass to number 5 cylinder as well. He has a you-tube video on this, I do this to all my conversion engines. DieselpumpUK also just came out with a smaller water pump pulley to run the water pump faster to improve cooling.
zeeman
12-12-2018, 01:08 PM #14

(12-10-2018, 12:58 PM)maneyc91 Well i had a little laugh to myself when i saw this thread, I came here to make a thread about my prechamber failure and found this instead, with pictures that could have been from my motor they look so similar, cylinder #5 for me too. I was driving along and it just went downhill real fast, smoking, sputtering etc. No comp on cyl number 5, smoking out the intake ports. From what i could see its an injector problem. The bummer is mine happened about 2 weeks after i finished doing a mech pump swap, big turbo etc. My plan of approach is to pull motor, swap in a good piston and rod, get the valves for #5 worked on, smooth out the damage on the head, put 'er back together. Luckily my holset hx35 didnt get damaged by the metal chunks. Probably going to pull my motor later today.....

The number 5 cylinder seems to be the problem cylinder. You might also want to do the Diesel Meken thermostat bypass to number 5 cylinder as well. He has a you-tube video on this, I do this to all my conversion engines. DieselpumpUK also just came out with a smaller water pump pulley to run the water pump faster to improve cooling.

jav1
GT2256V

12-12-2018, 01:25 PM #15
did you find a source for prechambers?
jav1
12-12-2018, 01:25 PM #15

did you find a source for prechambers?

zeeman
Holset

12-13-2018, 03:22 AM #16
(12-12-2018, 01:25 PM)jav1 did you find a source for prechambers?

I have not. Other then Mercedes and I haven't talked to them yet if they are available.
zeeman
12-13-2018, 03:22 AM #16

(12-12-2018, 01:25 PM)jav1 did you find a source for prechambers?

I have not. Other then Mercedes and I haven't talked to them yet if they are available.

atypicalguy
Holset

12-15-2018, 12:52 AM #17
(12-12-2018, 01:08 PM)zeeman

If it is an injector issue then why would coolant flow affect anything? Doesnt make sense. Unless injectors fail from poor coolant flow.
atypicalguy
12-15-2018, 12:52 AM #17

If it is an injector issue then why would coolant flow affect anything? Doesnt make sense. Unless injectors fail from poor coolant flow.

zeeman
Holset

12-15-2018, 05:06 PM #18
(12-15-2018, 12:52 AM)atypicalguy

Coolant also cools the cylinder temperature. That is why when EGT goes up so does water temperature.  Number 5 cylinder seems to be the worst one hence the water bypass. The hotter the cylinder temperature the hotter the prechamber is. Although the prechamber is failing from an injector dripping on it after the engine is shut off, water temperature plays a part in this. The water bypass eliminates a hot spot.
zeeman
12-15-2018, 05:06 PM #18

(12-15-2018, 12:52 AM)atypicalguy

Coolant also cools the cylinder temperature. That is why when EGT goes up so does water temperature.  Number 5 cylinder seems to be the worst one hence the water bypass. The hotter the cylinder temperature the hotter the prechamber is. Although the prechamber is failing from an injector dripping on it after the engine is shut off, water temperature plays a part in this. The water bypass eliminates a hot spot.

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

12-15-2018, 09:58 PM #19
Well my motor and tranny are sitting on the floor next to the car, im waiting on a new piston and rod, just going to swap it in and hope for the best. Gotta have some valve work done too obviously. If I cant get a prechamber after going through all this I dont even know what i ll do. If i see an unsuspecting e300 in the wild they will not be safe.      I assume that anything that was assembled by MB and working properly should be left alone as far as inside the motor? Im a pretty good wrench btw, my e36 has a 347 stroker, 76mm turbo,DIYmegasquirt and 8.8 IRS rear end all done by me.

Ill look into that coolant bypass....
This post was last modified: 12-15-2018, 09:59 PM by maneyc91.
maneyc91
12-15-2018, 09:58 PM #19

Well my motor and tranny are sitting on the floor next to the car, im waiting on a new piston and rod, just going to swap it in and hope for the best. Gotta have some valve work done too obviously. If I cant get a prechamber after going through all this I dont even know what i ll do. If i see an unsuspecting e300 in the wild they will not be safe.      I assume that anything that was assembled by MB and working properly should be left alone as far as inside the motor? Im a pretty good wrench btw, my e36 has a 347 stroker, 76mm turbo,DIYmegasquirt and 8.8 IRS rear end all done by me.

zeeman
Holset

12-16-2018, 09:07 PM #20
(12-15-2018, 09:58 PM)maneyc91 Well my motor and tranny are sitting on the floor next to the car, im waiting on a new piston and rod, just going to swap it in and hope for the best. Gotta have some valve work done too obviously. If I cant get a prechamber after going through all this I dont even know what i ll do. If i see an unsuspecting e300 in the wild they will not be safe.      I assume that anything that was assembled by MB and working properly should be left alone as far as inside the motor? Im a pretty good wrench btw, my e36 has a 347 stroker, 76mm turbo,DIYmegasquirt and 8.8 IRS rear end all done by me.

You might weigh the rod and piston separately on a gram scale and make sure they are close to your old one. Or have a engine balancer check it for you. As for the inside of the motor, one never knows who has been into it. I have found though that the bottom ends are usually in great shape. Tell tale is silicon sealer on the gasket surfaces telling that someone has been inside.

Zeeman
zeeman
12-16-2018, 09:07 PM #20

(12-15-2018, 09:58 PM)maneyc91 Well my motor and tranny are sitting on the floor next to the car, im waiting on a new piston and rod, just going to swap it in and hope for the best. Gotta have some valve work done too obviously. If I cant get a prechamber after going through all this I dont even know what i ll do. If i see an unsuspecting e300 in the wild they will not be safe.      I assume that anything that was assembled by MB and working properly should be left alone as far as inside the motor? Im a pretty good wrench btw, my e36 has a 347 stroker, 76mm turbo,DIYmegasquirt and 8.8 IRS rear end all done by me.

You might weigh the rod and piston separately on a gram scale and make sure they are close to your old one. Or have a engine balancer check it for you. As for the inside of the motor, one never knows who has been into it. I have found though that the bottom ends are usually in great shape. Tell tale is silicon sealer on the gasket surfaces telling that someone has been inside.

Zeeman

zeeman
Holset

12-16-2018, 10:05 PM #21

Pre chamber part # 606 010 04 52       $185.00

Zeeman
zeeman
12-16-2018, 10:05 PM #21

Pre chamber part # 606 010 04 52       $185.00

Zeeman

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

12-21-2018, 10:53 PM #22
Hows your repair going? ive been slacking a little this week, got my exhaust manifold off the head, and cleaned up the face of my head on the bad cylinder, been looking around for parts, just got my piston in yesterday. Still bummed about the whole ordeal but whatever, life sucks get a helmet. Im really tempted to (mercedes drop in) v8 swap this w210 while the motors out and toss this om606 in my real favorite, an e36.

also quick question, can the ball pein in the prechamber fit through the top of the prechamber? When i did not know how they worked and first pulled my injectors I vac'd out the holes and inside the hole because 200k worth of crap fell in, a little bb was stuck on the end of my vac and i went huh weird and cast it aside. It was probably from #5 which broke off but i paid such little attention to it at the time. Not sure how to look inside the others to see if the balls there. If blown out with compressed air do i need to worry about knocking a ball out?
This post was last modified: 12-21-2018, 10:59 PM by maneyc91.
maneyc91
12-21-2018, 10:53 PM #22

Hows your repair going? ive been slacking a little this week, got my exhaust manifold off the head, and cleaned up the face of my head on the bad cylinder, been looking around for parts, just got my piston in yesterday. Still bummed about the whole ordeal but whatever, life sucks get a helmet. Im really tempted to (mercedes drop in) v8 swap this w210 while the motors out and toss this om606 in my real favorite, an e36.

also quick question, can the ball pein in the prechamber fit through the top of the prechamber? When i did not know how they worked and first pulled my injectors I vac'd out the holes and inside the hole because 200k worth of crap fell in, a little bb was stuck on the end of my vac and i went huh weird and cast it aside. It was probably from #5 which broke off but i paid such little attention to it at the time. Not sure how to look inside the others to see if the balls there. If blown out with compressed air do i need to worry about knocking a ball out?

zeeman
Holset

12-23-2018, 11:41 AM #23
(12-21-2018, 10:53 PM)maneyc91 Hows your repair going? ive been slacking a little this week, got my exhaust manifold off the head, and cleaned up the face of my head on the bad cylinder, been looking around for parts, just got my piston in yesterday. Still bummed about the whole ordeal but whatever, life sucks get a helmet. Im really tempted to (mercedes drop in) v8 swap this w210 while the motors out and toss this om606 in my real favorite, an e36.

Just got a set of NPR pistons from Germany, and took the block over to the machinest yesterday. I had to make a tool to get the piston cooling nozzles out so it could be bored.
Make sure you check the bore taper, even though there is still crosshatch in the bore the wear is at the top of the cylinder.
The ball on the tube in the prechamber can break off to and fit through the prechamber. Another failure of the prechamber. Make sure you check inside of all the prechambers.
zeeman
12-23-2018, 11:41 AM #23

(12-21-2018, 10:53 PM)maneyc91 Hows your repair going? ive been slacking a little this week, got my exhaust manifold off the head, and cleaned up the face of my head on the bad cylinder, been looking around for parts, just got my piston in yesterday. Still bummed about the whole ordeal but whatever, life sucks get a helmet. Im really tempted to (mercedes drop in) v8 swap this w210 while the motors out and toss this om606 in my real favorite, an e36.

Just got a set of NPR pistons from Germany, and took the block over to the machinest yesterday. I had to make a tool to get the piston cooling nozzles out so it could be bored.
Make sure you check the bore taper, even though there is still crosshatch in the bore the wear is at the top of the cylinder.
The ball on the tube in the prechamber can break off to and fit through the prechamber. Another failure of the prechamber. Make sure you check inside of all the prechambers.

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

02-10-2019, 08:29 PM #24
(12-23-2018, 11:41 AM)zeeman

Where did you get your prechamber? i ve been getting a refund and email saying they dont make them anymore from everywhere i ve tried.
maneyc91
02-10-2019, 08:29 PM #24

Where did you get your prechamber? i ve been getting a refund and email saying they dont make them anymore from everywhere i ve tried.

zeeman
Holset

02-15-2019, 02:49 PM #25
(02-10-2019, 08:29 PM)maneyc91

You might try E-Bay UK for some used ones. I managed to get one from the extra head I had. All the rest of the pre-chambers were okay upon inspection.
zeeman
02-15-2019, 02:49 PM #25

(02-10-2019, 08:29 PM)maneyc91

You might try E-Bay UK for some used ones. I managed to get one from the extra head I had. All the rest of the pre-chambers were okay upon inspection.

maneyc91
Naturally-aspirated

02-16-2019, 01:35 PM #26
(02-15-2019, 02:49 PM)zeeman You might try E-Bay UK for some used ones. I managed to get one from the extra head I had. All the rest of the pre-chambers were okay upon inspection.

If i fixed all the stuff just to not be able to get a prechamber i might just lose it.
maneyc91
02-16-2019, 01:35 PM #26

(02-15-2019, 02:49 PM)zeeman You might try E-Bay UK for some used ones. I managed to get one from the extra head I had. All the rest of the pre-chambers were okay upon inspection.

If i fixed all the stuff just to not be able to get a prechamber i might just lose it.

Mallinman
GT2256V

02-17-2019, 03:48 AM #27
Are the 601 pre-chambers the same???
If they are then there’s one here
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3359859289

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 
Mallinman
02-17-2019, 03:48 AM #27

Are the 601 pre-chambers the same???
If they are then there’s one here
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3359859289

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 

zeeman
Holset

02-17-2019, 03:22 PM #28
(02-16-2019, 01:35 PM)maneyc91

Do you need just one? I could sell you one of my used spares.
zeeman
02-17-2019, 03:22 PM #28

(02-16-2019, 01:35 PM)maneyc91

Do you need just one? I could sell you one of my used spares.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average