Toyota 80 Series Landcruiser OM606 Install and Twincharge

Toyota 80 Series Landcruiser OM606 Install and Twincharge

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TIMNZ
Naturally-aspirated

05-15-2017, 11:29 PM #1
Hi from New Zealand.
New project about to start.
Have got a Toyota 80 Series Landcruiser with a 4.2 L turbo diesel ( 1HDT  12 valve) in it that recently started smoking lots, the 2 front cylinders in a poor state, oil coming up and out the exhaust. Was thinking of doing a rebuild but then came across the OM606 and thought why the hell not, would be a good project, had a look in NZ for an engine, not much around and expensive. so have imported a couple of cars from the UK so that I have the bits needed, bit expensive but hopefully can get a bit back by selling other parts off the cars.
Plan is to use Toyota gearbox or maybe auto trans, OM606 elec pump with 7.5mm elements and Baldurs DSL1 controller, thinking Eaton M122 supercharger to give good bottom end torque and a turbo feeding into the supercharger to boost the flow/pressure , with water to air intercoolers ,hopefully giving good usable power upto about 300 kW.
Note sure what turbo to use, thinking a Holset HX35 or HX40.
Got the DSL1
Cars arriving in the next few days

Thoughts on Turbo options and  Constructive comments welcome.

Cheers
Tim
TIMNZ
05-15-2017, 11:29 PM #1

Hi from New Zealand.
Have got a Toyota 80 Series Landcruiser with a 4.2 L turbo diesel ( 1HDT  12 valve) in it that recently started smoking lots, the 2 front cylinders in a poor state, oil coming up and out the exhaust. Was thinking of doing a rebuild but then came across the OM606 and thought why the hell not, would be a good project, had a look in NZ for an engine, not much around and expensive. so have imported a couple of cars from the UK so that I have the bits needed, bit expensive but hopefully can get a bit back by selling other parts off the cars.
Plan is to use Toyota gearbox or maybe auto trans, OM606 elec pump with 7.5mm elements and Baldurs DSL1 controller, thinking Eaton M122 supercharger to give good bottom end torque and a turbo feeding into the supercharger to boost the flow/pressure , with water to air intercoolers ,hopefully giving good usable power upto about 300 kW.
Got the DSL1

Cheers
Tim

NZScott
HX30W 73/44mm

05-16-2017, 03:39 AM #2
hey Tim...

I was thinking of going VGT without a controller for a twincharge build, you could semi-permanently lock the vanes in a certain position since spool isn't a worry, and when you want exhaust braking just flick a switch or pull a choke cable, He351VE are pretty common in the states it seems and are similar or same compressor to HX40

Looking forward to the build

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

NZScott
05-16-2017, 03:39 AM #2

hey Tim...

I was thinking of going VGT without a controller for a twincharge build, you could semi-permanently lock the vanes in a certain position since spool isn't a worry, and when you want exhaust braking just flick a switch or pull a choke cable, He351VE are pretty common in the states it seems and are similar or same compressor to HX40

Looking forward to the build

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-16-2017, 04:33 PM #3
Yeeeeees..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-16-2017, 04:33 PM #3

Yeeeeees..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Mallinman
GT2256V

05-16-2017, 04:42 PM #4
I've put the 605 into my l200. Im using the standard turbo. With a t28 compressor wheel. Spools very well and gives good pull which is great for the low down power u want in a truck. Great for off-roading and towing. But I want more from it now. I'm bored. I'm thinking hx35/40. But I don't want to render the truck useless in low down rev range. Which I do need for towing and off the tarmac. I think I'm Goanna go compound turbos by the end of the year.

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 
Mallinman
05-16-2017, 04:42 PM #4

I've put the 605 into my l200. Im using the standard turbo. With a t28 compressor wheel. Spools very well and gives good pull which is great for the low down power u want in a truck. Great for off-roading and towing. But I want more from it now. I'm bored. I'm thinking hx35/40. But I don't want to render the truck useless in low down rev range. Which I do need for towing and off the tarmac. I think I'm Goanna go compound turbos by the end of the year.

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 

landcruisinmy93
Unregistered

06-03-2017, 02:00 PM #5
I too am putting an OM606 into my 80 series, it seems like this swap is gaining some traction in the cruiser community. I've been putting mine together for over a year now. I learned how to use AutoCAD to develop an adapter plate and flywheel. I'm using a 98 Dodge Dakota 5 speed bellhousing on an 98 Toyota R150f with an HZJ79 rear housing and an 89 fj62 split transfer case. I'm adding Marlin Crawler hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer to add some strength to the R150f and an AX15 input shaft. The transfer case, along with being rebuilt is being converted to manual shift instead of vacuum. The engine is getting all new accessories since it didn't come with any, an OM648 rear sump pan, oil pump and noise capsule. It has a DieselPumpsUK 7.5mm mechanical pump and I'm compounding the Stock K14 with HX35/40 billet hybrid with a 12cm wastegateless turbine housing. I will be using and an Air to Air intercooler for now. I will be starting the swap June 14,2017. Good luck on your swap, I look forward to seeing it.
landcruisinmy93
06-03-2017, 02:00 PM #5

I too am putting an OM606 into my 80 series, it seems like this swap is gaining some traction in the cruiser community. I've been putting mine together for over a year now. I learned how to use AutoCAD to develop an adapter plate and flywheel. I'm using a 98 Dodge Dakota 5 speed bellhousing on an 98 Toyota R150f with an HZJ79 rear housing and an 89 fj62 split transfer case. I'm adding Marlin Crawler hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer to add some strength to the R150f and an AX15 input shaft. The transfer case, along with being rebuilt is being converted to manual shift instead of vacuum. The engine is getting all new accessories since it didn't come with any, an OM648 rear sump pan, oil pump and noise capsule. It has a DieselPumpsUK 7.5mm mechanical pump and I'm compounding the Stock K14 with HX35/40 billet hybrid with a 12cm wastegateless turbine housing. I will be using and an Air to Air intercooler for now. I will be starting the swap June 14,2017. Good luck on your swap, I look forward to seeing it.

TIMNZ
Naturally-aspirated

07-13-2017, 08:27 PM #6
Landcruisinmy93, guess you will have started based on your previous post, are you going to do a build thread for it. Sounds like you are doing quite a lot changes from standard.

My initial intention is to keep all standard except for the engine and induction to try and keep it simple.

Still collecting bits,
Got some donor engines
Got some M90 and a M122 supercharger
Got an HX40 and an HX52, both are 16cm exhaust
Got some 7.5mm elements to put in electronic pump
Got Buldur's pump controller

Just need to clear a couple of other projects out of the shed and then find some time to get started.

After reading mantahead's 500BHP Drift Project twin charge thread, thinking I might actually use and M90 and the HX40 as I am not looking for massive power  and keep the M122 for a future off road truck build.
Hope to start doing something in about 4 to 6 weeks.
Cheers
Tim
TIMNZ
07-13-2017, 08:27 PM #6

Landcruisinmy93, guess you will have started based on your previous post, are you going to do a build thread for it. Sounds like you are doing quite a lot changes from standard.

My initial intention is to keep all standard except for the engine and induction to try and keep it simple.

Still collecting bits,
Got some donor engines
Got some M90 and a M122 supercharger
Got an HX40 and an HX52, both are 16cm exhaust
Got some 7.5mm elements to put in electronic pump
Got Buldur's pump controller

Just need to clear a couple of other projects out of the shed and then find some time to get started.

After reading mantahead's 500BHP Drift Project twin charge thread, thinking I might actually use and M90 and the HX40 as I am not looking for massive power  and keep the M122 for a future off road truck build.
Hope to start doing something in about 4 to 6 weeks.
Cheers
Tim

Landcruisinmy93
Naturally-aspirated

09-18-2017, 01:23 PM #7
(06-03-2017, 02:00 PM)landcruisinmy93 I too am putting an OM606 into my 80 series, it seems like this swap is gaining some traction in the cruiser community. I've been putting mine together for over a year now. I learned how to use AutoCAD to develop an adapter plate and flywheel. I'm using a 98 Dodge Dakota 5 speed bellhousing on an 98 Toyota R150f with an HZJ79 rear housing and an 89 fj62 split transfer case. I'm adding Marlin Crawler hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer to add some strength to the R150f and an AX15 input shaft. The transfer case, along with being rebuilt is being converted to manual shift instead of vacuum. The engine is getting all new accessories since it didn't come with any, an OM648 rear sump pan, oil pump and noise capsule. It has a DieselPumpsUK 7.5mm mechanical pump and I'm compounding the Stock K14 with HX35/40 billet hybrid with a 12cm wastegateless turbine housing. I will be using and an Air to Air intercooler for now. I will be starting the swap June 14,2017. Good luck on your swap, I look forward to seeing it.
I was about 6 weeks late starting this swap, and for some reason my STD account was deleted. It said I had failed to register when I had the account for several months? Anyway, I got the land cruiser up and running. The adapter setup works. Everything except a shutoff valve is plumbed. The shutoff I was using would get too hot after 20 or so minutes and start applying vacuum to the pump shutoff. The installation tag for the DPUK pump was wrong, it said to set the timing 11* BTDC and they meant to write ATDC, so after running it and having it run terribly, I contacted them and found out I was 22* out of timing. Reset the pump. Idle's much better, no nailing. Something still isn't right. It is gutless when taking off, it sputters and stumbles and tries to die and puke's dark gray-black smoke, then it slowly gains speed and then has plenty of power and starts to make boost up to about 15psi but no more. Sadly I'm running a compound setup with the original k14 for low rpm boost and a small turbine housing hx35/ super 40 to make more boost. I'm getting frustrated trying to figure this out. Anyone recognize this issue and care to explain to me what is happening?
Landcruisinmy93
09-18-2017, 01:23 PM #7

(06-03-2017, 02:00 PM)landcruisinmy93 I too am putting an OM606 into my 80 series, it seems like this swap is gaining some traction in the cruiser community. I've been putting mine together for over a year now. I learned how to use AutoCAD to develop an adapter plate and flywheel. I'm using a 98 Dodge Dakota 5 speed bellhousing on an 98 Toyota R150f with an HZJ79 rear housing and an 89 fj62 split transfer case. I'm adding Marlin Crawler hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer to add some strength to the R150f and an AX15 input shaft. The transfer case, along with being rebuilt is being converted to manual shift instead of vacuum. The engine is getting all new accessories since it didn't come with any, an OM648 rear sump pan, oil pump and noise capsule. It has a DieselPumpsUK 7.5mm mechanical pump and I'm compounding the Stock K14 with HX35/40 billet hybrid with a 12cm wastegateless turbine housing. I will be using and an Air to Air intercooler for now. I will be starting the swap June 14,2017. Good luck on your swap, I look forward to seeing it.
I was about 6 weeks late starting this swap, and for some reason my STD account was deleted. It said I had failed to register when I had the account for several months? Anyway, I got the land cruiser up and running. The adapter setup works. Everything except a shutoff valve is plumbed. The shutoff I was using would get too hot after 20 or so minutes and start applying vacuum to the pump shutoff. The installation tag for the DPUK pump was wrong, it said to set the timing 11* BTDC and they meant to write ATDC, so after running it and having it run terribly, I contacted them and found out I was 22* out of timing. Reset the pump. Idle's much better, no nailing. Something still isn't right. It is gutless when taking off, it sputters and stumbles and tries to die and puke's dark gray-black smoke, then it slowly gains speed and then has plenty of power and starts to make boost up to about 15psi but no more. Sadly I'm running a compound setup with the original k14 for low rpm boost and a small turbine housing hx35/ super 40 to make more boost. I'm getting frustrated trying to figure this out. Anyone recognize this issue and care to explain to me what is happening?

Petar
7.5mm M pump

09-19-2017, 05:03 AM #8
Maybe you're flooding the engine with too much fuel off boost ? Maybe the ALDA is set wrong. Does it happen at light to medium throttle ?
Petar
09-19-2017, 05:03 AM #8

Maybe you're flooding the engine with too much fuel off boost ? Maybe the ALDA is set wrong. Does it happen at light to medium throttle ?

Landcruisinmy93
Naturally-aspirated

10-24-2017, 02:29 PM #9
(09-19-2017, 05:03 AM)Petar Maybe you're flooding the engine with too much fuel off boost ? Maybe the ALDA is set wrong. Does it happen at light to medium throttle ?

Turns out cylinders 1 and 2 have barely 200 psi. Cylinder 3 has 10 psi. 1,2 don't show change when oil was added to the cylinders so I'm assuming its a valve issue. Cylinder 3 springs back to life when oil is added through the inlets, so that's a ring issue. It idles smooth and sounds good because the dead cylinders are perfectly matched to the companion cylinders. Everything is left in balance but as soon as you put load on the engine it bogs down and smokes like crazy because 3 out of 6 cylinders aren't burning fuel. I have another engine on the way and will swap them out and do a few minor revisions to the setup. Sorry for the thread Hijack OP. By the way the compound setup seems to work fairly well given its on a 3 banger. I made 15 PSI boost under 4k RPM last run I made with it. Under load at about 1100 rpms I was seeing 2-3 psi, I'm assuming I should see better figures once I have 6 cylinders worth of hot exhaust gas pushing. OP I will keep you updated if you're interested in the compound systems performance.
Landcruisinmy93
10-24-2017, 02:29 PM #9

(09-19-2017, 05:03 AM)Petar Maybe you're flooding the engine with too much fuel off boost ? Maybe the ALDA is set wrong. Does it happen at light to medium throttle ?

Turns out cylinders 1 and 2 have barely 200 psi. Cylinder 3 has 10 psi. 1,2 don't show change when oil was added to the cylinders so I'm assuming its a valve issue. Cylinder 3 springs back to life when oil is added through the inlets, so that's a ring issue. It idles smooth and sounds good because the dead cylinders are perfectly matched to the companion cylinders. Everything is left in balance but as soon as you put load on the engine it bogs down and smokes like crazy because 3 out of 6 cylinders aren't burning fuel. I have another engine on the way and will swap them out and do a few minor revisions to the setup. Sorry for the thread Hijack OP. By the way the compound setup seems to work fairly well given its on a 3 banger. I made 15 PSI boost under 4k RPM last run I made with it. Under load at about 1100 rpms I was seeing 2-3 psi, I'm assuming I should see better figures once I have 6 cylinders worth of hot exhaust gas pushing. OP I will keep you updated if you're interested in the compound systems performance.

Landcruisinmy93
Naturally-aspirated

04-12-2018, 10:54 AM #10
(05-15-2017, 11:29 PM)TIMNZ Hi from New Zealand.
Got the DSL1

Cheers
Tim
I am not sure if you ever got around to swapping the 80 series. I will say that depending on your horsepower needs you may consider an hx35/40 hybrid. Or, what I'm into at the moment which is making an hx30w/hy35w hybrid. I'm sure your use of the M112 helps with the missing low end boost quite a bit. However, the standard turbine housings found on the hx35 and hx40 may still be too big for an off-road vehicle even with a supercharger. I know my single hx35/40 with the .82 AT turbine housing was slow to spool without a supercharger; and compounded with the k14 it was better but not by much. I think a smaller turbine housing on the hx setup would do it. I decided to build a single hybrid and see if that solves the quick spool and space issues. Keep us updated.
Landcruisinmy93
04-12-2018, 10:54 AM #10

(05-15-2017, 11:29 PM)TIMNZ Hi from New Zealand.
Got the DSL1

Cheers
Tim
I am not sure if you ever got around to swapping the 80 series. I will say that depending on your horsepower needs you may consider an hx35/40 hybrid. Or, what I'm into at the moment which is making an hx30w/hy35w hybrid. I'm sure your use of the M112 helps with the missing low end boost quite a bit. However, the standard turbine housings found on the hx35 and hx40 may still be too big for an off-road vehicle even with a supercharger. I know my single hx35/40 with the .82 AT turbine housing was slow to spool without a supercharger; and compounded with the k14 it was better but not by much. I think a smaller turbine housing on the hx setup would do it. I decided to build a single hybrid and see if that solves the quick spool and space issues. Keep us updated.

TIMNZ
Naturally-aspirated

04-16-2018, 04:52 AM #11
Hi, haven't started this one , will be soon, delayed because I am doing an OM606 install in my road going 80 Series, initial install almost done hope to be driving in the next few days, will do a separate thread when I get time, original 4.2 1HD-T engine a bit buggered, blew the turbo and the bits went into the engine, no intercooler.
Cheers
Tim
TIMNZ
04-16-2018, 04:52 AM #11

Hi, haven't started this one , will be soon, delayed because I am doing an OM606 install in my road going 80 Series, initial install almost done hope to be driving in the next few days, will do a separate thread when I get time, original 4.2 1HD-T engine a bit buggered, blew the turbo and the bits went into the engine, no intercooler.
Cheers
Tim

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average