STD Other Trucks, semis, vans, transporters and mogs. Ford’s new 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel… will it be a Power Joke?

Ford’s new 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel… will it be a Power Joke?

Ford’s new 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel… will it be a Power Joke?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-18-2009, 08:33 AM #1
First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine
Posted by Mike Levine | August 30, 2009

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/fir...ngine.html

Quote:ord is rewriting the rules of the company and industry with the introduction of its all-new advanced 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel engine for the 2011 F-Series Super Duty pickups.

“The 6.7-liter diesel puts the motor back in Ford Motor Company,” said Adam Gryglak, the engine’s lead engineer. “This is the most advanced Power Stroke yet with the cleanest emissions,” lower noise, vibration and harshness “and substantially improved power and fuel economy.”

Codenamed “Scorpion,” the 6.7-liter PSD is Ford’s first-ever designed-in-house pickup truck diesel engine since the first oil burner (International’s 6.9-liter V-8) was offered under the hood of a Ford pickup in 1982.

“This was a global effort within Ford to create this engine,” Gryglak said. “We applied many of the lessons learned from Ford’s European operations.”

Ford’s road to the Scorpion has been long and winding. The 6.7-liter PSD is the third all-new heavy duty diesel engine in 7 years and the fourth since production of the 7.3-liter Power Stroke ended in 2002.

Its creation can be traced back to the 6.0-liter Power Stroke that Ford introduced for its 2003 Super Duty pickups. Ford and Navistar (International’s parent company) went to battle in court over warranty problems and cost issues related to that engine, which ultimately led to both companies ending their 30-year diesel manufacturing relationship in January. Ford kept the rights to the well-known Power Stroke name that has been associated with Ford diesels since 1994.

Read on here.

Any opinions on this new motor yet?
This post was last modified: 10-18-2009, 08:38 AM by DeliveryValve.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-18-2009, 08:33 AM #1

First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine
Posted by Mike Levine | August 30, 2009

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/fir...ngine.html

Quote:ord is rewriting the rules of the company and industry with the introduction of its all-new advanced 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel engine for the 2011 F-Series Super Duty pickups.

“The 6.7-liter diesel puts the motor back in Ford Motor Company,” said Adam Gryglak, the engine’s lead engineer. “This is the most advanced Power Stroke yet with the cleanest emissions,” lower noise, vibration and harshness “and substantially improved power and fuel economy.”

Codenamed “Scorpion,” the 6.7-liter PSD is Ford’s first-ever designed-in-house pickup truck diesel engine since the first oil burner (International’s 6.9-liter V-8) was offered under the hood of a Ford pickup in 1982.

“This was a global effort within Ford to create this engine,” Gryglak said. “We applied many of the lessons learned from Ford’s European operations.”

Ford’s road to the Scorpion has been long and winding. The 6.7-liter PSD is the third all-new heavy duty diesel engine in 7 years and the fourth since production of the 7.3-liter Power Stroke ended in 2002.

Its creation can be traced back to the 6.0-liter Power Stroke that Ford introduced for its 2003 Super Duty pickups. Ford and Navistar (International’s parent company) went to battle in court over warranty problems and cost issues related to that engine, which ultimately led to both companies ending their 30-year diesel manufacturing relationship in January. Ford kept the rights to the well-known Power Stroke name that has been associated with Ford diesels since 1994.

Read on here.

Any opinions on this new motor yet?

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-18-2009, 02:40 PM #2
(10-18-2009, 08:33 AM)DeliveryValve Any opinions on this new motor yet?

As is usual for Ford, I like the theory but not the execution.

"Hey, since we totally screwed over our relationship with International and no longer have a Diesel engine supply, lets steal GM's 'exhaust in the valley' engine idea and get it into market before them!"

That turbo is little more than a tiny turbine with a huge compressor wheel. Even with VNT, the turbine is so tiny they need a wastegate. I can see the aftermarket targeting that as one of the first things to change on this engine, along with much better flowing exhaust manifolds. They should have stuck with the 6.4's excellent compound system.
This post was last modified: 10-18-2009, 02:46 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
10-18-2009, 02:40 PM #2

(10-18-2009, 08:33 AM)DeliveryValve Any opinions on this new motor yet?

As is usual for Ford, I like the theory but not the execution.

"Hey, since we totally screwed over our relationship with International and no longer have a Diesel engine supply, lets steal GM's 'exhaust in the valley' engine idea and get it into market before them!"

That turbo is little more than a tiny turbine with a huge compressor wheel. Even with VNT, the turbine is so tiny they need a wastegate. I can see the aftermarket targeting that as one of the first things to change on this engine, along with much better flowing exhaust manifolds. They should have stuck with the 6.4's excellent compound system.

HoleshotHolset
Holset

10-30-2009, 04:39 PM #3
(10-18-2009, 02:40 PM)ForcedInduction "Hey, since we totally screwed over our relationship with International and no longer have a Diesel engine supply, lets steal GM's 'exhaust in the valley' engine idea and get it into market before them!"

Depending on how you interpret that statement - it might not be technically true. The GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax has outboard exhaust manifolds - just like nearly any other V-configuration engine ever made. In fact, I can't think of any other V-configuration engine that doesn't have outboard exhaust manifolds.

This new Fjord engine has inboard exhaust manifolds in the valley (where the intake manifold would normally be) - unlike anything else I've ever seen...and honestly - the way to do things the RIGHT way if you need to put your turbo in the valley for packaging reasons.

Even as a die hard Cummins fan, I wish them luck...(as well as any other new diesel engine - can't have too many!!) no doubt it will have its share of calibration and emissions issues. We all know the 6.4L sure did - shooting flames out the tailpipe, etc. The Cummins 6.7L and newest versions of the GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax are also not free from calibration/emissions issues...but they're built on solid platforms that haven't changed much at all over the years.

Fjord really burned the bridges between them and ITEC. I'm not convinced that was a bad thing.

6.9L IDI = boat anchor
7.3L IDI = boat anchor
7.3L Power Stroke - all but one vintage = boat anchor
6.0L Power Stroke = not even worthy of boat anchor usage
6.4L Power Stroke = worst of the bunch...they're eating injectors and wiring harnesses (like the 7.3L PSD...) like candy

I'd take any Cummins B-series made and possibly a Duramax over anything that has ever been stuffed in a light duty Fjord pickup.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)
'99 W210.025 - gone, but not forgotten
'94 Dodge/Cummins - gone, but not forgotten
HoleshotHolset
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM #3

(10-18-2009, 02:40 PM)ForcedInduction "Hey, since we totally screwed over our relationship with International and no longer have a Diesel engine supply, lets steal GM's 'exhaust in the valley' engine idea and get it into market before them!"

Depending on how you interpret that statement - it might not be technically true. The GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax has outboard exhaust manifolds - just like nearly any other V-configuration engine ever made. In fact, I can't think of any other V-configuration engine that doesn't have outboard exhaust manifolds.

This new Fjord engine has inboard exhaust manifolds in the valley (where the intake manifold would normally be) - unlike anything else I've ever seen...and honestly - the way to do things the RIGHT way if you need to put your turbo in the valley for packaging reasons.

Even as a die hard Cummins fan, I wish them luck...(as well as any other new diesel engine - can't have too many!!) no doubt it will have its share of calibration and emissions issues. We all know the 6.4L sure did - shooting flames out the tailpipe, etc. The Cummins 6.7L and newest versions of the GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax are also not free from calibration/emissions issues...but they're built on solid platforms that haven't changed much at all over the years.

Fjord really burned the bridges between them and ITEC. I'm not convinced that was a bad thing.

6.9L IDI = boat anchor
7.3L IDI = boat anchor
6.4L Power Stroke = worst of the bunch...they're eating injectors and wiring harnesses (like the 7.3L PSD...) like candy

I'd take any Cummins B-series made and possibly a Duramax over anything that has ever been stuffed in a light duty Fjord pickup.

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
'95 W124.131/722.435, 211k - daily driver/Superturbo project - OM606.962 with "M" pump...under construction! (build thread here)

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-30-2009, 07:54 PM #4
(10-30-2009, 04:39 PM)HoleshotHolset Depending on how you interpret that statement - it might not be technically true. The GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax has outboard exhaust manifolds - just like nearly any other V-configuration engine ever made. In fact, I can't think of any other V-configuration engine that doesn't have outboard exhaust manifolds.
The 4.5L Duramax is not in production (yet). It was planned for 2010 but GM shelved it.

[Image: 0810dp_07_z+2010_duramax_4500_diesel+engine_top.jpg]

The primary thing I strongly dislike about that engine is the exhaust manifolds being integral of the aluminum cylinder heads.
This post was last modified: 10-30-2009, 09:40 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM #4

(10-30-2009, 04:39 PM)HoleshotHolset Depending on how you interpret that statement - it might not be technically true. The GM/Isuzu 6.6L Duramax has outboard exhaust manifolds - just like nearly any other V-configuration engine ever made. In fact, I can't think of any other V-configuration engine that doesn't have outboard exhaust manifolds.
The 4.5L Duramax is not in production (yet). It was planned for 2010 but GM shelved it.

[Image: 0810dp_07_z+2010_duramax_4500_diesel+engine_top.jpg]

The primary thing I strongly dislike about that engine is the exhaust manifolds being integral of the aluminum cylinder heads.

Lapoint
Naturally-aspirated

10-30-2009, 08:41 PM #5
(Today 16:39)HoleshotHolset Wrote:

Doesn't / didn't Cummins make a large V-12 that had inboard exhaust driving 4 turbos?? I think it was used for to power generators and/or pumps
Lapoint
10-30-2009, 08:41 PM #5

(Today 16:39)HoleshotHolset Wrote:

Doesn't / didn't Cummins make a large V-12 that had inboard exhaust driving 4 turbos?? I think it was used for to power generators and/or pumps

HoleshotHolset
Holset

11-02-2009, 12:23 PM #6
ForcedInduction The 4.5L Duramax is not in production (yet). It was planned for 2010 but GM shelved it.

"A" for effort, GM/Isuzu...wow - that's daring. More power to them if they can make it work - but I agree with you.

Lapoint Doesn't / didn't Cummins make a large V-12 that had inboard exhaust driving 4 turbos?? I think it was used for to power generators and/or pumps

Maybe...it's entirely possible. My primary expertise with Cummins lies with messing around with the various engines in the B series lineup. Smile

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM #6

ForcedInduction The 4.5L Duramax is not in production (yet). It was planned for 2010 but GM shelved it.

"A" for effort, GM/Isuzu...wow - that's daring. More power to them if they can make it work - but I agree with you.

Lapoint Doesn't / didn't Cummins make a large V-12 that had inboard exhaust driving 4 turbos?? I think it was used for to power generators and/or pumps

Maybe...it's entirely possible. My primary expertise with Cummins lies with messing around with the various engines in the B series lineup. Smile

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-10-2009, 05:05 AM #7
It passed right out of my memory until now, Cummins has been doing "exhaust in the valley" for years in their QSK series.

[Image: CumminsQSK78-2.JPG]

ForcedInduction
11-10-2009, 05:05 AM #7

It passed right out of my memory until now, Cummins has been doing "exhaust in the valley" for years in their QSK series.

[Image: CumminsQSK78-2.JPG]

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

11-10-2009, 05:03 PM #8
I like that QSK 78 would make a sweet rat rod BUS with that!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM #8

I like that QSK 78 would make a sweet rat rod BUS with that!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

JB3
Superturbo

11-10-2009, 09:50 PM #9
"6.9L IDI = boat anchor
7.3L IDI = boat anchor

I'd take any Cummins B-series made and possibly a Duramax over anything that has ever been stuffed in a light duty Fjord pickup."
quote: HoleShotHolset

I gotta disagree with some of this. I love Cummins too, but in my experience the 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI and 7.3 powerstroke were solid, dependable motors. Say what you will about the 6.0 and the 6.4, I totally agree, but the earlier ones were decent power, easy to maintain, cheap on parts, and very reliable.

Cummins is in a totally different class certainly and is and was at the top, but lets not overlook the 1998.5 to 2002 24 valve addled engine computer problems that can be so annoying.

And as far as Duramax is concerned, thats an awesome motor, but also one with a long history of finicky issues during its development. Lets not forget the "return line dump fuel into crankcase" issue. Plus, as soon as they worked all the little bugs out of it, they add a new emissions system that has check engine lights coming on in 5000 miles.

Taken on the whole, before the introduction of the 'straight from hell' 6.0, Ford was making a very decent, useful engine for a good price that worked well for a lot of years; I gotta give them credit for that.
This post was last modified: 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM by JB3.
JB3
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM #9

"6.9L IDI = boat anchor
7.3L IDI = boat anchor

I'd take any Cummins B-series made and possibly a Duramax over anything that has ever been stuffed in a light duty Fjord pickup."
quote: HoleShotHolset

I gotta disagree with some of this. I love Cummins too, but in my experience the 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI and 7.3 powerstroke were solid, dependable motors. Say what you will about the 6.0 and the 6.4, I totally agree, but the earlier ones were decent power, easy to maintain, cheap on parts, and very reliable.

Cummins is in a totally different class certainly and is and was at the top, but lets not overlook the 1998.5 to 2002 24 valve addled engine computer problems that can be so annoying.

And as far as Duramax is concerned, thats an awesome motor, but also one with a long history of finicky issues during its development. Lets not forget the "return line dump fuel into crankcase" issue. Plus, as soon as they worked all the little bugs out of it, they add a new emissions system that has check engine lights coming on in 5000 miles.

Taken on the whole, before the introduction of the 'straight from hell' 6.0, Ford was making a very decent, useful engine for a good price that worked well for a lot of years; I gotta give them credit for that.

HoleshotHolset
Holset

11-16-2009, 01:59 PM #10
(11-10-2009, 09:50 PM)dropnosky Say what you will about the 6.0 and the 6.4, I totally agree, but the earlier ones were decent power, easy to maintain, cheap on parts, and very reliable.

I see your point(s). I turned wrenches at an ambulance shop for ~5 years on 7.3 IDIs all the way through the last generation 7.3L Power Stroke...so my opinion of them isn't helped by the fact that I always saw them on their worst days. We did put a LOT of hard miles at full GVW on them too...which doesn't help.

I had enough high pressure oil system, injector driver module and injector harness failures on Power Strokes to last me a lifetime. Whoever dreamed up that high pressure oil fired injector idea should be barred from ever doing engine design work ever again. Smile

The IDI engines (in their day) didn't have anything decent to compare to...except the GM 6.2/6.5 (which I had mostly good personal experiences with) - all offerings back then were very warm blooded, gutless wonders - but that's all we had at the time. More than once, I was dispatched out in the field with a can of ether to start a 7.3L IDI that the crews couldn't get going for various reasons.

The '98.5-'02 Cummins ISB's failures could almost be traced entirely to the horrible lift pump design. Sure, the early ISB's also had issues with the VP44 injection pump...but when your lift pump is weak, you're not going to get a whole lot of cool fuel to help that IP last long.

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM #10

(11-10-2009, 09:50 PM)dropnosky Say what you will about the 6.0 and the 6.4, I totally agree, but the earlier ones were decent power, easy to maintain, cheap on parts, and very reliable.

I see your point(s). I turned wrenches at an ambulance shop for ~5 years on 7.3 IDIs all the way through the last generation 7.3L Power Stroke...so my opinion of them isn't helped by the fact that I always saw them on their worst days. We did put a LOT of hard miles at full GVW on them too...which doesn't help.

I had enough high pressure oil system, injector driver module and injector harness failures on Power Strokes to last me a lifetime. Whoever dreamed up that high pressure oil fired injector idea should be barred from ever doing engine design work ever again. Smile

The IDI engines (in their day) didn't have anything decent to compare to...except the GM 6.2/6.5 (which I had mostly good personal experiences with) - all offerings back then were very warm blooded, gutless wonders - but that's all we had at the time. More than once, I was dispatched out in the field with a can of ether to start a 7.3L IDI that the crews couldn't get going for various reasons.

The '98.5-'02 Cummins ISB's failures could almost be traced entirely to the horrible lift pump design. Sure, the early ISB's also had issues with the VP44 injection pump...but when your lift pump is weak, you're not going to get a whole lot of cool fuel to help that IP last long.

Cheers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642

JB3
Superturbo

11-19-2009, 04:15 PM #11
I just have a sweet spot for the powerstroke after I pulled a couple lifting rods out of one that were bent almost completely in half and were rattling around inside the engine.

The truck ran horribly beforehand as you can imagine with a gasping wheesing clanging noise.
It was an on the cheap repair and after taking a peek down the holes with a flashlight and waving a magnet, we threw two new rods in there. We started it, and it ran perfect! No other issues for as long as I heard. It was like 6 bucks in parts, and I could not believe all this broken metal did not damage something else.

On the flip side, because of a 8th inch long piece of aluminum, I have had to remove the head from a 1.9 TDI, with all the PITA involved in that.
JB3
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM #11

I just have a sweet spot for the powerstroke after I pulled a couple lifting rods out of one that were bent almost completely in half and were rattling around inside the engine.

The truck ran horribly beforehand as you can imagine with a gasping wheesing clanging noise.
It was an on the cheap repair and after taking a peek down the holes with a flashlight and waving a magnet, we threw two new rods in there. We started it, and it ran perfect! No other issues for as long as I heard. It was like 6 bucks in parts, and I could not believe all this broken metal did not damage something else.

On the flip side, because of a 8th inch long piece of aluminum, I have had to remove the head from a 1.9 TDI, with all the PITA involved in that.

400Eric
TA 0301

01-06-2010, 01:07 AM #12
… will it be a Power Joke? Well, those connecting rods look awfully spindly to me. Also, it looks scarily complex to me..... more stuff to go wrong.

On my Granddad's ranch were two Cadillacs, a '38 and a '39 with flathead V-8s that had BOTH the intake and exhaust manifolds in the inboard "valley" location. In fact, most flathead "V" engines did it that way because it made more sense than running the hot exhaust gases all the way through the engine to the outboard side. Look at a flathead with the head off and you will see what I mean. Ironically, it was Ford that bucked that wise practice with their flathead V-8s and V-12s, and they were hot running engines as a result. Maybe Ford is now trying to make up for that.
Regards, Eric
This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 02:36 AM by 400Eric.

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
85 Volvo 740 turbo diesel "Bolbo 1"
90 Volvo 740 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 2"
93 Volvo 940 wagon turbo gas "Bolbo 5"
89 300E "Benzer 1" 15.924 uncorrected at Pomona
93 400E "Benzer 3" 14.200 uncorrected at Fontana
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
87 300D "Benzer 7"  Big Grin
87 300D "Benzer 8"  Big Grin
85 Dodge flatbed tow truck "Festus"
71 AMC Javelin AMX 401 "Sidewinder"
74 AMC Hornet 401 "C.K.10" 13.63 U.C.
74 Bricklin SV1 "Presto" (1 of the AMC 360 powered ones)
94 Ford F700 Cummins 6BT Allison AT545 (all factory!) "Thomas"
400Eric
01-06-2010, 01:07 AM #12

… will it be a Power Joke? Well, those connecting rods look awfully spindly to me. Also, it looks scarily complex to me..... more stuff to go wrong.

On my Granddad's ranch were two Cadillacs, a '38 and a '39 with flathead V-8s that had BOTH the intake and exhaust manifolds in the inboard "valley" location. In fact, most flathead "V" engines did it that way because it made more sense than running the hot exhaust gases all the way through the engine to the outboard side. Look at a flathead with the head off and you will see what I mean. Ironically, it was Ford that bucked that wise practice with their flathead V-8s and V-12s, and they were hot running engines as a result. Maybe Ford is now trying to make up for that.
Regards, Eric

"I've had the car upside down and still been steering trying to correct it"  Richard Petty
95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

HoleshotHolset
Holset

01-06-2010, 02:01 PM #13
(01-06-2010, 01:07 AM)400Eric Ironically, it was Ford that bucked that wise practice with their flathead V-8s and V-12s, and they were hot running engines as a result. Maybe Ford is now trying to make up for that.

OK - so we have industrial/mining/freight train engines and old flat heads with this layout - anything else other than the new 6.7L? Smile

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM #13

(01-06-2010, 01:07 AM)400Eric Ironically, it was Ford that bucked that wise practice with their flathead V-8s and V-12s, and they were hot running engines as a result. Maybe Ford is now trying to make up for that.

OK - so we have industrial/mining/freight train engines and old flat heads with this layout - anything else other than the new 6.7L? Smile

'07 W211 OM642

400Eric
TA 0301

01-06-2010, 11:25 PM #14
Isn't that enough?Tongue
Don't forget the new, almost in production GM 4.5 Duramax.
Regards, Eric
This post was last modified: 01-07-2010, 06:22 AM by 400Eric.

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 
400Eric
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM #14

Isn't that enough?Tongue
Don't forget the new, almost in production GM 4.5 Duramax.
Regards, Eric

95 E420 "Benzer 4" 

HoleshotHolset
Holset

05-11-2011, 10:35 AM #15
Any updates on how the 6.7L PSD is holding up?

I haven't heard of any first hand issues so far. My neighbor has one and he still loves it - much more than the old 6.4L he had. Smile

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
05-11-2011, 10:35 AM #15

Any updates on how the 6.7L PSD is holding up?

I haven't heard of any first hand issues so far. My neighbor has one and he still loves it - much more than the old 6.4L he had. Smile

Beers,

Matt

'07 W211 OM642

dieselboy
Rotatin 5500 times a minute

05-11-2011, 04:13 PM #16
I've got 11,000 miles on mine. Not to many issues on them. I had a turbo because the dealer screwed it up.

-Jesse

80 300sd hy35, front mount intercooler, w115 intake, rack limiter removed, Alda removed, full load turned up, boost, ebp, trans, pyro, egr delete, 3.5" exhaust, e-fan, 16x8 rims with, 245/50 tires, lowered, bilstien 5100's, 12" front brakes, 2.65:1 diff.
97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
83 Volvo 242, lots of mods
66 Volvo amazon

10 mistsubishi fuso service truck.
dieselboy
05-11-2011, 04:13 PM #16

I've got 11,000 miles on mine. Not to many issues on them. I had a turbo because the dealer screwed it up.

-Jesse

80 300sd hy35, front mount intercooler, w115 intake, rack limiter removed, Alda removed, full load turned up, boost, ebp, trans, pyro, egr delete, 3.5" exhaust, e-fan, 16x8 rims with, 245/50 tires, lowered, bilstien 5100's, 12" front brakes, 2.65:1 diff.
97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

HoleshotHolset
Holset

05-12-2011, 12:25 PM #17
(05-11-2011, 04:13 PM)dieselboy I've got 11,000 miles on mine. Not to many issues on them. I had a turbo because the dealer screwed it up.

What in the world did the dealer do to cause a turbo failure?

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
05-12-2011, 12:25 PM #17

(05-11-2011, 04:13 PM)dieselboy I've got 11,000 miles on mine. Not to many issues on them. I had a turbo because the dealer screwed it up.

What in the world did the dealer do to cause a turbo failure?

'07 W211 OM642

dieselboy

05-12-2011, 03:38 PM #18
I think when they checked the air filter it broke the tab on the air box and it got sucked into the turbo. It was either that or it was caused by a odd surging I had when it was new and the computer was still learning.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

dieselboy
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM #18

I think when they checked the air filter it broke the tab on the air box and it got sucked into the turbo. It was either that or it was caused by a odd surging I had when it was new and the computer was still learning.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

HoleshotHolset
Holset

05-16-2011, 09:09 AM #19
Ouch.

'07 W211 OM642
HoleshotHolset
05-16-2011, 09:09 AM #19

Ouch.

'07 W211 OM642

Oil Burner
Turbo Everyting!!!

07-28-2011, 08:39 AM #20
Personally I am a Cummins Guy but I love the heat the PowerJoke has always gotten, but on that note I was personally impressed with the physical design of the motor but like all the diesels Ford has put in their trucks I was skeptical. I only know 3 people with the new PowerJoke…one traded it in before he had it a year(11Months), one still has it but does nothing but commute in Sol Cal traffic ( the bed and hitch have no scratches in them), the other is Jesse here on STD. The guy that traded it in had it at the dealer more than he got to use it and he was not going to deal with that any more. So in my book it’s a typical PowerJoke 1 in 3 runs right but you have to be gentle or reap the consequences.

Sorry Ford Lovers its the truth!

08 Ram Cummins 6.7 Mega Cab 4wd Beauty & Towing Mods, 97 Ram Cummins 5.9 Extended Cab 4wd. Engine, Tansmission, and Funtional Mods, 90 Suburban 4wd Stock, 83 300D Pats Car, 80 300CD in Restoration and Fabrication Process( was non turbo...now TurboBig Grin) 75 Ramcharger 4wd Someday Cummins Power ProjectTongue
Oil Burner
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM #20

Personally I am a Cummins Guy but I love the heat the PowerJoke has always gotten, but on that note I was personally impressed with the physical design of the motor but like all the diesels Ford has put in their trucks I was skeptical. I only know 3 people with the new PowerJoke…one traded it in before he had it a year(11Months), one still has it but does nothing but commute in Sol Cal traffic ( the bed and hitch have no scratches in them), the other is Jesse here on STD. The guy that traded it in had it at the dealer more than he got to use it and he was not going to deal with that any more. So in my book it’s a typical PowerJoke 1 in 3 runs right but you have to be gentle or reap the consequences.

Sorry Ford Lovers its the truth!

08 Ram Cummins 6.7 Mega Cab 4wd Beauty & Towing Mods, 97 Ram Cummins 5.9 Extended Cab 4wd. Engine, Tansmission, and Funtional Mods, 90 Suburban 4wd Stock, 83 300D Pats Car, 80 300CD in Restoration and Fabrication Process( was non turbo...now TurboBig Grin) 75 Ramcharger 4wd Someday Cummins Power ProjectTongue

dieselboy

08-24-2011, 12:32 AM #21
Lol mine is gone to someone else. The cab and chassis trucks need more time.

I now have a 2010 fuso.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

dieselboy
08-24-2011, 12:32 AM #21

Lol mine is gone to someone else. The cab and chassis trucks need more time.

I now have a 2010 fuso.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

larsalan
Superturbo

08-24-2011, 05:52 AM #22
(08-24-2011, 12:32 AM)dieselboy I now have a 2010 fuso.

is that a cab-over?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-24-2011, 05:52 AM #22

is that a cab-over?

dieselboy

08-24-2011, 01:16 PM #23
(08-24-2011, 05:52 AM)larsalan

is that a cab-over?

Yeah im the first one to the accident now. It actually has more room in the cab. Better visibility and the turning radius is insane. Plus it has a newer box with a crane.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

dieselboy
08-24-2011, 01:16 PM #23

(08-24-2011, 05:52 AM)larsalan

is that a cab-over?

Yeah im the first one to the accident now. It actually has more room in the cab. Better visibility and the turning radius is insane. Plus it has a newer box with a crane.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

larsalan
Superturbo

08-24-2011, 03:19 PM #24
I have wanted one of those tiny little cab over trucks. About between the size of a ford ranger and a golf cart. But they are very few and high price too Wink

larsalan
08-24-2011, 03:19 PM #24

I have wanted one of those tiny little cab over trucks. About between the size of a ford ranger and a golf cart. But they are very few and high price too Wink

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

09-06-2011, 11:13 PM #25
Sorry Powerjoke!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
09-06-2011, 11:13 PM #25

Sorry Powerjoke!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

dieselboy

09-07-2011, 01:38 AM #26
You know after all the test's writeups etc ive seen on them most of the time they actually say that they preferred the feel of the ford. They may have the numbers as close as they are but until chevy gets rid of that nasty ifs they still suck in my eyes. I actually as of recently dislike all emissions diesels. They (all of them) are just being choked and the reliability has gone to shit.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

dieselboy
09-07-2011, 01:38 AM #26

You know after all the test's writeups etc ive seen on them most of the time they actually say that they preferred the feel of the ford. They may have the numbers as close as they are but until chevy gets rid of that nasty ifs they still suck in my eyes. I actually as of recently dislike all emissions diesels. They (all of them) are just being choked and the reliability has gone to shit.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

09-08-2011, 11:46 AM #27
I have to agree the IFS is a fail if you want to lift it or anything. Works good for a stock truck that is kept that way though.

Captain America
09-08-2011, 11:46 AM #27

I have to agree the IFS is a fail if you want to lift it or anything. Works good for a stock truck that is kept that way though.

Snipe656
K26-2

09-26-2011, 01:47 PM #28
(09-07-2011, 01:38 AM)dieselboy I actually as of recently dislike all emissions diesels. They (all of them) are just being choked and the reliability has gone to shit.

I have been of the same thought process for around a year now. My 335d got me into that thought process. Just the overly complex systems for emissions and dealing with when something goes wrong in them. I'd imagine though for things like Ford or Chevy diesel trucks that people will or have ways to just bypass those systems entirely.
Snipe656
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM #28

(09-07-2011, 01:38 AM)dieselboy I actually as of recently dislike all emissions diesels. They (all of them) are just being choked and the reliability has gone to shit.

I have been of the same thought process for around a year now. My 335d got me into that thought process. Just the overly complex systems for emissions and dealing with when something goes wrong in them. I'd imagine though for things like Ford or Chevy diesel trucks that people will or have ways to just bypass those systems entirely.

Duncansport
Holset

05-17-2013, 02:33 PM #29
So we just bought one of these for our new shop truck to replace our F350 V10. So far the truck is great. Tons of power, awesome transmission, fairly good ride, tows awesome and getting about 19mpg around town and some highway. The engine is burried and the DPF is almost as long as the truck, in fact it has no muffler...just the DPF
So far so good though, can't wait to plow with it!
Duncansport
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM #29

So we just bought one of these for our new shop truck to replace our F350 V10. So far the truck is great. Tons of power, awesome transmission, fairly good ride, tows awesome and getting about 19mpg around town and some highway. The engine is burried and the DPF is almost as long as the truck, in fact it has no muffler...just the DPF
So far so good though, can't wait to plow with it!

raysorenson
Superturbo

05-17-2013, 02:47 PM #30
We (A Ford service dep't) are, in the words of one manager here, "hurting" as a result of the 6.7's release. The diesel guys just don't have as much to do anymore.
raysorenson
05-17-2013, 02:47 PM #30

We (A Ford service dep't) are, in the words of one manager here, "hurting" as a result of the 6.7's release. The diesel guys just don't have as much to do anymore.

dieselboy

05-18-2013, 12:09 AM #31
The 250-350 trucks are great. They're warranty issues are far less than before. But... The 450-550 cab chassis trucks are dropping valves, loosing glow plugs, and blowing turbos. My fuso now has 62,000 mi on it and never even had a check engine light.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

dieselboy
05-18-2013, 12:09 AM #31

The 250-350 trucks are great. They're warranty issues are far less than before. But... The 450-550 cab chassis trucks are dropping valves, loosing glow plugs, and blowing turbos. My fuso now has 62,000 mi on it and never even had a check engine light.

-Jesse

97 f250 psd 4x4, crawler
70 f250 390
66 Volvo amazon

Duncansport
Holset

05-18-2013, 09:04 AM #32
(05-18-2013, 12:09 AM)dieselboy The 250-350 trucks are great. They're warranty issues are far less than before. But... The 450-550 cab chassis trucks are dropping valves, loosing glow plugs, and blowing turbos. My fuso now has 62,000 mi on it and never even had a check engine light.

I was reading about the (correct me if im wrong) the wide frame chassis with the 6.7 have a different turbo and are having valve face cracking issues. Which seem to lead to a valve dropping..
Duncansport
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM #32

(05-18-2013, 12:09 AM)dieselboy The 250-350 trucks are great. They're warranty issues are far less than before. But... The 450-550 cab chassis trucks are dropping valves, loosing glow plugs, and blowing turbos. My fuso now has 62,000 mi on it and never even had a check engine light.

I was reading about the (correct me if im wrong) the wide frame chassis with the 6.7 have a different turbo and are having valve face cracking issues. Which seem to lead to a valve dropping..

tjts1
GT2256V

05-18-2013, 09:42 AM #33
The 3.0 V6 diesel in the Ram and 3.2 5cyl in the 2015 F150 are far more interesting and useful to the vast majority of people.
tjts1
05-18-2013, 09:42 AM #33

The 3.0 V6 diesel in the Ram and 3.2 5cyl in the 2015 F150 are far more interesting and useful to the vast majority of people.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average