STD Maintenance General 55mph violent shake from front w116

55mph violent shake from front w116

55mph violent shake from front w116

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freakshow
K26-2

02-11-2018, 07:30 PM #3
I'm sure my steering damper needs replacing too, but I spent all day effing with it and it seems to me it's predominantly the upper control arm bushing. Once I starting taking things apart I noticed how much slop there was and I found a washer of the right diameter and shimmed the bushing with it. Reinstalled the bolt as tight as I could torque it and took it for a drive. Definitely tightened things up a lot. It's not perfect but it's much improved. I'm sure the upper ball joint is trashed too, so I'm just going to replace the whole control arm on both sides and see where that gets me.

Looked in my trunk and found that the previous owner left me two new lower control arm ball joints, so I'll be doing those soon as well. Hooray for me.

I'll post back with an update next weekend probably. Pretty confident new uca's are gonna do it though.
Freakshow
02-11-2018, 07:30 PM #3

I'm sure my steering damper needs replacing too, but I spent all day effing with it and it seems to me it's predominantly the upper control arm bushing. Once I starting taking things apart I noticed how much slop there was and I found a washer of the right diameter and shimmed the bushing with it. Reinstalled the bolt as tight as I could torque it and took it for a drive. Definitely tightened things up a lot. It's not perfect but it's much improved. I'm sure the upper ball joint is trashed too, so I'm just going to replace the whole control arm on both sides and see where that gets me.

Looked in my trunk and found that the previous owner left me two new lower control arm ball joints, so I'll be doing those soon as well. Hooray for me.

I'll post back with an update next weekend probably. Pretty confident new uca's are gonna do it though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
55mph violent shake from front w116 - by Freakshow - 02-11-2018, 10:12 AM
RE: 55mph violent shake from front w116 - by NZScott - 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM
RE: 55mph violent shake from front w116 - by Freakshow - 02-11-2018, 07:30 PM
RE: 55mph violent shake from front w116 - by Freakshow - 03-11-2018, 09:42 AM