STD Tuning Engine Cheap Tricks

Cheap Tricks

Cheap Tricks

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

atypicalguy
Holset

07-03-2018, 09:51 PM #19
(08-28-2012, 10:08 PM)raysorenson Many solid suggestions there, but since this is a discussion forum, there are some a couple of things that, IMO, merit more discussion.

I don't particularly like manual boost controllers because of the goofy surging you get at high cruise speeds on higher boost engines. While I think they can decrease it takes to go from 90% boost to 100% boost, the boost area below that 90% is left unchanged. MBC's give an on/off switch feel to the turbo. The expensive electronic boost controllers attempt to limit that on/off switch feel and funky surge by cracking open the wastegate just before peak boost is reached - just like the stock straight up wastegate setup does. An MBC is great controller to use when you require more boost than the spring in your wastegate can regulate and you don't have tons of money to throw at the issue. The decision to go to an MBC is your's alone, I'm just saying that there is a downside.

The ALDA is a wonderful tool to reduce smoke and improve fuel efficiency. The best thing about it is that it's adjustable. When adjusted right, an ALDA equipped car will go just as fast as a car with no ALDA with the added bonus of the driver not having to regulate smoke output with his/her right foot. This is even more convenient when you do a manual trans conversion since you can let the ALDA control fuel when you're holding the pedal to the floor at rpms that are lower than what you would encounter with a 722.x equipped car.

OK has anyone here used an electronic boost controller with 3d mapping to control their ALDA? I am putting compounds on the 606 and rather than use the second pwm output on the controller to control the second wastegate, I thought I would use it to control the ALDA ramp in the lower gears. This is useful when using a controller that senses what gear you are in; by limiting fuel in gears 1-3, I hope to reduce wheelspin to manageable levels. Sort of a poor man's version of an electronic injection pump. Anyone? Bueller?
atypicalguy
07-03-2018, 09:51 PM #19

(08-28-2012, 10:08 PM)raysorenson Many solid suggestions there, but since this is a discussion forum, there are some a couple of things that, IMO, merit more discussion.

I don't particularly like manual boost controllers because of the goofy surging you get at high cruise speeds on higher boost engines. While I think they can decrease it takes to go from 90% boost to 100% boost, the boost area below that 90% is left unchanged. MBC's give an on/off switch feel to the turbo. The expensive electronic boost controllers attempt to limit that on/off switch feel and funky surge by cracking open the wastegate just before peak boost is reached - just like the stock straight up wastegate setup does. An MBC is great controller to use when you require more boost than the spring in your wastegate can regulate and you don't have tons of money to throw at the issue. The decision to go to an MBC is your's alone, I'm just saying that there is a downside.

The ALDA is a wonderful tool to reduce smoke and improve fuel efficiency. The best thing about it is that it's adjustable. When adjusted right, an ALDA equipped car will go just as fast as a car with no ALDA with the added bonus of the driver not having to regulate smoke output with his/her right foot. This is even more convenient when you do a manual trans conversion since you can let the ALDA control fuel when you're holding the pedal to the floor at rpms that are lower than what you would encounter with a 722.x equipped car.

OK has anyone here used an electronic boost controller with 3d mapping to control their ALDA? I am putting compounds on the 606 and rather than use the second pwm output on the controller to control the second wastegate, I thought I would use it to control the ALDA ramp in the lower gears. This is useful when using a controller that senses what gear you are in; by limiting fuel in gears 1-3, I hope to reduce wheelspin to manageable levels. Sort of a poor man's version of an electronic injection pump. Anyone? Bueller?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Messages In This Thread
Cheap Tricks - by Simpler=Better - 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by Secondaries - 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by Simpler=Better - 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by Secondaries - 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by raysorenson - 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by atypicalguy - 07-03-2018, 09:51 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by bricktron - 08-14-2013, 12:34 AM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by Simpler=Better - 11-14-2013, 12:52 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by sassparilla_kid - 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
RE: Cheap Tricks - by Simpler=Better - 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM