STD Tuning Engine Take #3 ? Yeah, it's the never ending project circle, now S124

Take #3 ? Yeah, it's the never ending project circle, now S124

Take #3 ? Yeah, it's the never ending project circle, now S124

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JoeB
TA 0301

10-31-2019, 07:45 PM #1
Okay...

Here is a laugh. at my expense maybe.

S124, has a tidy and economical m103.993 in it, doing well for 235000km on the Odo.
It's standard - but since buying I have tweaked the FD and EHA/EZL to make it accelerate and rev.
Not bad really, winds out to 7K and is eminently useful for around-town duty.

Plan #3 is building, so to speak - I mentioned it in a previous thread where the Range Rover has been ditched as a project due to non-mechanical issues.

So this S124 has been acquired and the 606/722.608 (w210td) with rebuilt IP (606.962 hybrid 603 rear) once destined for the 4x4 will be fitted to the 124.

I'm Looking for a good non-egr exhaust manifold and turbo recommendation (not holset). Since Freddie's still AWOL, does anyone have a recommendation for quality manifold?

target is 2.5bar max and I would prefer to stick with the IP as-is for the moment, maybe upgrade the elements to 7mm later, but low-smoke is a priority first, for DOT inspection approval. After that... we will worry about soot problem less.

The W124 fitment is new to me, just understanding the wiring harness changes, but it's obviously not a "problem" from mech standpoint, since I am familiar with the model already.

The install has to look as factory-standard and neat as possible within reason - and for that matter, I'll be going to use a water to air IC and trying to locate a w124 airbox or perhaps fab something similar with a panel filter. There won't be any pod filters (legal issue here) on the front of the turbo, and finding a w124 airbox here is not possible.

Space in a 124 engine bay with the SLS and tandem pump is pretty tight, so if anyone has ideas on airbox etc pls let me know.
JoeB
10-31-2019, 07:45 PM #1

Okay...

S124, has a tidy and economical m103.993 in it, doing well for 235000km on the Odo.
It's standard - but since buying I have tweaked the FD and EHA/EZL to make it accelerate and rev.

Plan #3 is building, so to speak - I mentioned it in a previous thread where the Range Rover has been ditched as a project due to non-mechanical issues.

So this S124 has been acquired and the 606/722.608 (w210td) with rebuilt IP (606.962 hybrid 603 rear) once destined for the 4x4 will be fitted to the 124.

I'm Looking for a good non-egr exhaust manifold and turbo recommendation (not holset). Since Freddie's still AWOL, does anyone have a recommendation for quality manifold?

target is 2.5bar max and I would prefer to stick with the IP as-is for the moment, maybe upgrade the elements to 7mm later, but low-smoke is a priority first, for DOT inspection approval. After that... we will worry about soot problem less.

The W124 fitment is new to me, just understanding the wiring harness changes, but it's obviously not a "problem" from mech standpoint, since I am familiar with the model already.

The install has to look as factory-standard and neat as possible within reason - and for that matter, I'll be going to use a water to air IC and trying to locate a w124 airbox or perhaps fab something similar with a panel filter. There won't be any pod filters (legal issue here) on the front of the turbo, and finding a w124 airbox here is not possible.

Space in a 124 engine bay with the SLS and tandem pump is pretty tight, so if anyone has ideas on airbox etc pls let me know.

atypicalguy
Holset

11-01-2019, 05:03 PM #2
(10-31-2019, 07:45 PM)JoeB Okay...

The stock filter box is not going to flow enough air for anything more than a stock non turbo fuel level. Not much else will fit. You could try to wedge the 648 filter in there somehow though.
atypicalguy
11-01-2019, 05:03 PM #2

(10-31-2019, 07:45 PM)JoeB Okay...

The stock filter box is not going to flow enough air for anything more than a stock non turbo fuel level. Not much else will fit. You could try to wedge the 648 filter in there somehow though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average