STD Tuning Engine Common rail diesel discussion thread

Common rail diesel discussion thread

Common rail diesel discussion thread

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
baldur
Fast

01-13-2019, 01:50 PM #1
It has been requested that I open a thread to discuss and share information about common rail diesel injection.
I am in the process of developing a controller to run solenoid controlled injectors, and plan to create a different power supply for piezoelectric injectors.
The difference there being that the solenoid injectors require high current and low voltage, although a moderate voltage (80 volts nominally) from a charged up capacitor is used to boost them during the opening phase to get a faster current rise. To keep them open requires only on the order of 6 volts.
Piezoelectric injectors on the other hand need a couple hundred volts to open, with high initial current and this voltage must be maintained to keep them open, at negligible current. Then in order to close them they require an inverse current as the piezoelectric element has internal capacitance that must be discharged.

Common rail is unique to most other injection control systems in that you have control over injection quantity and injection duration independently. Only other control system that offers this is hydraulically actuated unit injectors. Other solenoid controlled systems such as cam actuated unit injectors and injection pumps while allowing exact control of injection start and end do not have any way to control the rate of delivery  during the injection.

One advantage offered by direct electronic injection control that is not possible with rack controlled injection pumps is the ability to have multiple injection events during the combustion cycle. This feature is not unique to common rail but is also possible with some solenoid valve controlled unit injectors and some solenoid valve controlled injection pumps.
The primary advantage of this is being able to use pre-injection to heat up the air prior to starting the main combustion event, as this accelerates ignition of the fuel injected for the main combustion event and thus reduces diesel knock which is caused by a too abrupt ignition of the fuel (too much fuel is introduced before it is able to ignite in the chamber)

I will add more information to this post later. Feel free to ask any questions.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-13-2019, 01:50 PM #1

It has been requested that I open a thread to discuss and share information about common rail diesel injection.
I am in the process of developing a controller to run solenoid controlled injectors, and plan to create a different power supply for piezoelectric injectors.
The difference there being that the solenoid injectors require high current and low voltage, although a moderate voltage (80 volts nominally) from a charged up capacitor is used to boost them during the opening phase to get a faster current rise. To keep them open requires only on the order of 6 volts.
Piezoelectric injectors on the other hand need a couple hundred volts to open, with high initial current and this voltage must be maintained to keep them open, at negligible current. Then in order to close them they require an inverse current as the piezoelectric element has internal capacitance that must be discharged.

Common rail is unique to most other injection control systems in that you have control over injection quantity and injection duration independently. Only other control system that offers this is hydraulically actuated unit injectors. Other solenoid controlled systems such as cam actuated unit injectors and injection pumps while allowing exact control of injection start and end do not have any way to control the rate of delivery  during the injection.

One advantage offered by direct electronic injection control that is not possible with rack controlled injection pumps is the ability to have multiple injection events during the combustion cycle. This feature is not unique to common rail but is also possible with some solenoid valve controlled unit injectors and some solenoid valve controlled injection pumps.
The primary advantage of this is being able to use pre-injection to heat up the air prior to starting the main combustion event, as this accelerates ignition of the fuel injected for the main combustion event and thus reduces diesel knock which is caused by a too abrupt ignition of the fuel (too much fuel is introduced before it is able to ignite in the chamber)

Baldur Gislason

firen456
TA 0301

01-14-2019, 02:24 AM #2
I wanna know something more about the EDC15/16 ecus from OM613/648. It seems that EIS, ESL, TCU and DAS and some ABS/ESP stuff is needed. The EIS will send a crypted can message to the ecu to start the engine. So we'll have to keep the EIS because it's to complicated to reengineer the crypted message. It seems there are two options to deal with the rest. First: Deleting all the DTCs in the ecu regarding ELS, DAS and TCU like wheelspeed and missing can bus devices and modify the ecu to start without them (gearlever in N or P for example). This seems to be the harder way. The easier solution might be to emulate all the can meassages the ecu wants do see via a can controller. Maybe something arduino based. There will of course have to be deleted some DTCs in the ecu because we don't want to run ELS, factory TCU, DAS and ESP. We must have a W210/211 car to reingeneer the can bus. To start the engine the gearleaver must be in N or P position. What other signals will the engine need to start? Maybe there can be found something in the WIS. Searching for some opinions or a little help from people who run these ecus in older cars.
firen456
01-14-2019, 02:24 AM #2

I wanna know something more about the EDC15/16 ecus from OM613/648. It seems that EIS, ESL, TCU and DAS and some ABS/ESP stuff is needed. The EIS will send a crypted can message to the ecu to start the engine. So we'll have to keep the EIS because it's to complicated to reengineer the crypted message. It seems there are two options to deal with the rest. First: Deleting all the DTCs in the ecu regarding ELS, DAS and TCU like wheelspeed and missing can bus devices and modify the ecu to start without them (gearlever in N or P for example). This seems to be the harder way. The easier solution might be to emulate all the can meassages the ecu wants do see via a can controller. Maybe something arduino based. There will of course have to be deleted some DTCs in the ecu because we don't want to run ELS, factory TCU, DAS and ESP. We must have a W210/211 car to reingeneer the can bus. To start the engine the gearleaver must be in N or P position. What other signals will the engine need to start? Maybe there can be found something in the WIS. Searching for some opinions or a little help from people who run these ecus in older cars.

barrote
Superturbo

01-14-2019, 03:50 AM #3
As of me, i'm dealing with changing mechanichal properties of bosch CRD system to operate under higher pressure and higher flow and reliable for the tunning fans.
Electronically, as discussed a stand alone ECU without the vehicle electronics seem a lot viable. One feature must be present , the box must be switched in same socket as a EDC16 or have a kind of adapter. For the users without edc16 cars(loom) does not really matter which conector to work on.
Injection opening resolution is of atmost importance weather the coil or the driver , need to be in line with needs.
As there is no point using a diff nozzle if opening is not within 100's of milisecond. As example.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-14-2019, 03:50 AM #3

As of me, i'm dealing with changing mechanichal properties of bosch CRD system to operate under higher pressure and higher flow and reliable for the tunning fans.
Electronically, as discussed a stand alone ECU without the vehicle electronics seem a lot viable. One feature must be present , the box must be switched in same socket as a EDC16 or have a kind of adapter. For the users without edc16 cars(loom) does not really matter which conector to work on.
Injection opening resolution is of atmost importance weather the coil or the driver , need to be in line with needs.
As there is no point using a diff nozzle if opening is not within 100's of milisecond. As example.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

01-29-2019, 12:45 PM #4
I'm getting there. Running some tests on the prototype and if they all pass I will run an engine on it.
[Image: moRJf7m.jpg]
[Image: p33DxSd.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-29-2019, 12:45 PM #4

I'm getting there. Running some tests on the prototype and if they all pass I will run an engine on it.
[Image: moRJf7m.jpg]
[Image: p33DxSd.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

madmog
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2019, 05:12 PM #5
(01-14-2019, 02:24 AM)firen456 I wanna know something more about the EDC15/16 ecus from OM613/648. It seems that EIS, ESL, TCU and DAS and some ABS/ESP stuff is needed. The EIS will send a crypted can message to the ecu to start the engine. So we'll have to keep the EIS because it's to complicated to reengineer the crypted message. It seems there are two options to deal with the rest. First: Deleting all the DTCs in the ecu regarding ELS, DAS and TCU like wheelspeed and missing can bus devices and modify the ecu to start without them (gearlever in N or P for example). This seems to be the harder way. The easier solution might be to emulate all the can meassages the ecu wants do see via a can controller. Maybe something arduino based. There will of course have to be deleted some DTCs in the ecu because we don't want to run ELS, factory TCU, DAS and ESP. We must have a W210/211 car to reingeneer the can bus. To start the engine the gearleaver must be in N or P position. What other signals will the engine need to start? Maybe there can be found something in the WIS. Searching for some opinions or a little help from people who run these ecus in older cars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering, presumably on manual vehicles, the ECU doesn't look for some of these signals. Then is it easier to either start with an ECU from a manual car or perhaps the ECUs can be flipped from auto to manual?
This post was last modified: 01-29-2019, 05:15 PM by madmog.
madmog
01-29-2019, 05:12 PM #5

(01-14-2019, 02:24 AM)firen456 I wanna know something more about the EDC15/16 ecus from OM613/648. It seems that EIS, ESL, TCU and DAS and some ABS/ESP stuff is needed. The EIS will send a crypted can message to the ecu to start the engine. So we'll have to keep the EIS because it's to complicated to reengineer the crypted message. It seems there are two options to deal with the rest. First: Deleting all the DTCs in the ecu regarding ELS, DAS and TCU like wheelspeed and missing can bus devices and modify the ecu to start without them (gearlever in N or P for example). This seems to be the harder way. The easier solution might be to emulate all the can meassages the ecu wants do see via a can controller. Maybe something arduino based. There will of course have to be deleted some DTCs in the ecu because we don't want to run ELS, factory TCU, DAS and ESP. We must have a W210/211 car to reingeneer the can bus. To start the engine the gearleaver must be in N or P position. What other signals will the engine need to start? Maybe there can be found something in the WIS. Searching for some opinions or a little help from people who run these ecus in older cars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering, presumably on manual vehicles, the ECU doesn't look for some of these signals. Then is it easier to either start with an ECU from a manual car or perhaps the ECUs can be flipped from auto to manual?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

01-30-2019, 12:04 AM #6
The coding can be moved from one ECU to another with the STAR system. Ultimately it is just setting an clearing bits in the EEPROM, which can easily be copied.
AlanMcR
01-30-2019, 12:04 AM #6

The coding can be moved from one ECU to another with the STAR system. Ultimately it is just setting an clearing bits in the EEPROM, which can easily be copied.

firen456
TA 0301

01-30-2019, 02:56 AM #7
There's no 613/648 manual car. Copying the eeprom is clear to me. But u will still need the matching key and eis for it.
firen456
01-30-2019, 02:56 AM #7

There's no 613/648 manual car. Copying the eeprom is clear to me. But u will still need the matching key and eis for it.

barrote
Superturbo

01-30-2019, 05:17 AM #8
I guess baldur is doing this just cause of that...
To run without CAN permissions , otherwise what sense does it make.
I belive TCU's , IMMO, etc, will be available as add on later if user wishes, if not please Baldur do it to run engine on minimal hardware...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-30-2019, 05:17 AM #8

I guess baldur is doing this just cause of that...
I belive TCU's , IMMO, etc, will be available as add on later if user wishes, if not please Baldur do it to run engine on minimal hardware...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

01-30-2019, 06:25 AM #9
(01-30-2019, 05:17 AM)barrote I guess baldur is doing this just cause of that...
I belive TCU's , IMMO, etc,  will be available as add on later if user wishes, if not please Baldur do it to run engine on minimal hardware...

Yes that's the plan. I will also have a complete wiring harness available for engine swaps if I manage to source all of the connectors.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-30-2019, 06:25 AM #9

(01-30-2019, 05:17 AM)barrote I guess baldur is doing this just cause of that...
I belive TCU's , IMMO, etc,  will be available as add on later if user wishes, if not please Baldur do it to run engine on minimal hardware...

Yes that's the plan. I will also have a complete wiring harness available for engine swaps if I manage to source all of the connectors.

Baldur Gislason

starynovy
Holset

02-02-2019, 02:05 PM #10
Very interesting. I keep fingers crossed for you man. Dont forget to make it for piezos since they flow heaps lot more than magnets. Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
02-02-2019, 02:05 PM #10

Very interesting. I keep fingers crossed for you man. Dont forget to make it for piezos since they flow heaps lot more than magnets. Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbo
Holset

02-03-2019, 03:02 AM #11
(02-02-2019, 02:05 PM)starynovy Very interesting. I keep fingers crossed for you man. Dont forget to make it for piezos since they flow heaps lot more than magnets. Big Grin

There are quite big solenoid injectors too, I have new ones that give about 50% more then BMW550ds pizo injectors, orginal bosch, and they are resonantly fast at 8 event/ cykle according to bosch , now BMW can make 10 so a little bit slower there
Just Waiting for Baldur to start this up Smile
Turbo
02-03-2019, 03:02 AM #11

(02-02-2019, 02:05 PM)starynovy Very interesting. I keep fingers crossed for you man. Dont forget to make it for piezos since they flow heaps lot more than magnets. Big Grin

There are quite big solenoid injectors too, I have new ones that give about 50% more then BMW550ds pizo injectors, orginal bosch, and they are resonantly fast at 8 event/ cykle according to bosch , now BMW can make 10 so a little bit slower there
Just Waiting for Baldur to start this up Smile

baldur
Fast

02-03-2019, 05:23 PM #12
I am making progress. First start up happened tonight. https://www.facebook.com/stalsmidjan.kna...056936849/
Timing is very late in that video so it smoked a lot and ran rough, and when I squeezed the accelerator pedal the smoke just changed colour instead of accelerating the engine, but I am satisfied with that result for the first start, it can only get better once I tune the timing and fuelling.

I do of course plan to make another version to drive piezo injectors once I have the controller for solenoid injectors in production.
[Image: 9YAk4VO.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-03-2019, 05:23 PM #12

I am making progress. First start up happened tonight. https://www.facebook.com/stalsmidjan.kna...056936849/
Timing is very late in that video so it smoked a lot and ran rough, and when I squeezed the accelerator pedal the smoke just changed colour instead of accelerating the engine, but I am satisfied with that result for the first start, it can only get better once I tune the timing and fuelling.

I do of course plan to make another version to drive piezo injectors once I have the controller for solenoid injectors in production.
[Image: 9YAk4VO.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

Motohead1
Naturally-aspirated

02-03-2019, 08:01 PM #13
Very cool. Caint wait to see the final product.
Motohead1
02-03-2019, 08:01 PM #13

Very cool. Caint wait to see the final product.

starynovy
Holset

02-04-2019, 12:30 PM #14
Ou yeah it lives! Best thing from this would be lighting fast throttle response. I hated 320CDI for that slugish sleepy gas pedal.

starynovy
02-04-2019, 12:30 PM #14

Ou yeah it lives! Best thing from this would be lighting fast throttle response. I hated 320CDI for that slugish sleepy gas pedal.

baldur
Fast

02-04-2019, 04:30 PM #15
(02-04-2019, 12:30 PM)starynovy Ou yeah it  lives! Best thing from this would be lighting fast throttle response. I hated 320CDI for that slugish sleepy gas pedal.

How is this for throttle response? Big Grin 
https://www.facebook.com/stalsmidjan.kna...760243712/

I agree, I like quick response. That's my biggest complaint with modern cars, throttle response is non-existent, and the manufacturer made it that way intentionally.
This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 04:34 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-04-2019, 04:30 PM #15

(02-04-2019, 12:30 PM)starynovy Ou yeah it  lives! Best thing from this would be lighting fast throttle response. I hated 320CDI for that slugish sleepy gas pedal.

I agree, I like quick response. That's my biggest complaint with modern cars, throttle response is non-existent, and the manufacturer made it that way intentionally.

Baldur Gislason

engineengineer
Naturally-aspirated

02-06-2019, 01:25 AM #16
(02-04-2019, 04:30 PM)baldur

Baldur, will this be usable on other engines? Particularly the Mitsubishi Fuso.
engineengineer
02-06-2019, 01:25 AM #16

atypicalguy
Holset

02-06-2019, 04:16 AM #17
(01-13-2019, 01:50 PM)baldur It has been requested that I open a thread to discuss and share information about common rail diesel injection.

This sounds super. I think the blacksmoke guys are on a standalone ECU now also. No idea but their tuner seems to post on here from time to time. It seems like this is the new black art :-)   Perhaps one could retrofit a high pressure pump and piezo injectors to all those smoky 606 motors out there...
This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 04:19 AM by atypicalguy.
atypicalguy
02-06-2019, 04:16 AM #17

(01-13-2019, 01:50 PM)baldur It has been requested that I open a thread to discuss and share information about common rail diesel injection.

This sounds super. I think the blacksmoke guys are on a standalone ECU now also. No idea but their tuner seems to post on here from time to time. It seems like this is the new black art :-)   Perhaps one could retrofit a high pressure pump and piezo injectors to all those smoky 606 motors out there...

baldur
Fast

02-06-2019, 04:40 AM #18
(02-06-2019, 01:25 AM)engineengineer

With this controller I plan to support nearly any engine that uses solenoid controlled high current injectors. Common rail, unit injectors (pumpe duse) and spill valve controlled injection pumps.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-06-2019, 04:40 AM #18

(02-06-2019, 01:25 AM)engineengineer

With this controller I plan to support nearly any engine that uses solenoid controlled high current injectors. Common rail, unit injectors (pumpe duse) and spill valve controlled injection pumps.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

02-06-2019, 04:52 AM #19
(02-06-2019, 04:16 AM)atypicalguy

They may have, but I don't think they are. I think they are still using the EDC16 on the OM648, but they had struggles getting it to work properly although they got there eventually. Tuning OEM ECUs is a black art. I hope to make common rail diesel tuning less of a black art by making a controller that is a lot easier to tune.
My current version is not for piezo injectors but solenoid injectors, I plan to make a variant of the same controller for piezo injectors later, they require a very different power supply as piezo injectors are voltage controlled but solenoid injectors are current controlled.
I remember the finns built a direct injection OM606 some years ago, but I think this is a lot of trouble when there are so many good common rail engines becoming available.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-06-2019, 04:52 AM #19

They may have, but I don't think they are. I think they are still using the EDC16 on the OM648, but they had struggles getting it to work properly although they got there eventually. Tuning OEM ECUs is a black art. I hope to make common rail diesel tuning less of a black art by making a controller that is a lot easier to tune.
My current version is not for piezo injectors but solenoid injectors, I plan to make a variant of the same controller for piezo injectors later, they require a very different power supply as piezo injectors are voltage controlled but solenoid injectors are current controlled.
I remember the finns built a direct injection OM606 some years ago, but I think this is a lot of trouble when there are so many good common rail engines becoming available.

Baldur Gislason

Sotvisp
K26-2

02-07-2019, 07:39 AM #20
i think this is amazing work !!
I have been planning to do a transplant with BMW edc15 from tu30 to a om613 because its much easier to program the ecu as standalone and they are quite similar in many ways.
Very interesting to follow the progress here , what will such product cost when its up and running ??
Keep on Rocking....

Diesel Power
Sotvisp
02-07-2019, 07:39 AM #20

i think this is amazing work !!
I have been planning to do a transplant with BMW edc15 from tu30 to a om613 because its much easier to program the ecu as standalone and they are quite similar in many ways.
Very interesting to follow the progress here , what will such product cost when its up and running ??
Keep on Rocking....

Diesel Power

Sotvisp
K26-2

02-07-2019, 07:42 AM #21
(02-06-2019, 04:52 AM)baldur

Blacksmoke engine seems to have Nira now days

https://youtu.be/tYE-QcvCjCM

Diesel Power
Sotvisp
02-07-2019, 07:42 AM #21

(02-06-2019, 04:52 AM)baldur

Blacksmoke engine seems to have Nira now days

https://youtu.be/tYE-QcvCjCM

Diesel Power

baldur
Fast

02-07-2019, 08:28 AM #22
(02-07-2019, 07:39 AM)Sotvisp i think this is amazing work !!
Keep on Rocking....

Thank you.
I do not know what the cost will be until I finish the final design and get it manufactured. I want to make it affordable so it will be an attractive option for engine swaps and not just for the most hardcore tuning applications.
I also want to make casual tuning of common rail diesels accessible. It is notoriously difficult to get good results with the Bosch ECUs which are not designed to be tuned by the end user. A simple to use solution that isn't 4000 euros is going to enable a lot more people to start tuning their common rail engines, and not constrained by what the factory ECU can do.

Baldur
This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-07-2019, 08:28 AM #22

(02-07-2019, 07:39 AM)Sotvisp i think this is amazing work !!
Keep on Rocking....

Thank you.
I do not know what the cost will be until I finish the final design and get it manufactured. I want to make it affordable so it will be an attractive option for engine swaps and not just for the most hardcore tuning applications.
I also want to make casual tuning of common rail diesels accessible. It is notoriously difficult to get good results with the Bosch ECUs which are not designed to be tuned by the end user. A simple to use solution that isn't 4000 euros is going to enable a lot more people to start tuning their common rail engines, and not constrained by what the factory ECU can do.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

02-16-2019, 07:17 AM #23
The prototype has been installed in a car. Here is an OM613 swapped Nissan Patrol. Tuning is not done yet but the engine runs and sounds very smooth and power is definitely better than the ZD30 engine it replaced.
https://www.facebook.com/stalsmidjan.kna...=3&theater
Using the stock auto transmission, accelerator pedal, instrument cluster and idle up switch. Everything works as if the car was stock, except it's got a better engine. None of that is easily done using a Mercedes ECU on a swap like this.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-16-2019, 07:17 AM #23

The prototype has been installed in a car. Here is an OM613 swapped Nissan Patrol. Tuning is not done yet but the engine runs and sounds very smooth and power is definitely better than the ZD30 engine it replaced.
https://www.facebook.com/stalsmidjan.kna...=3&theater
Using the stock auto transmission, accelerator pedal, instrument cluster and idle up switch. Everything works as if the car was stock, except it's got a better engine. None of that is easily done using a Mercedes ECU on a swap like this.

Baldur Gislason

Motohead1
Naturally-aspirated

03-23-2019, 06:23 PM #24
Any new updates?
Motohead1
03-23-2019, 06:23 PM #24

Any new updates?

baldur
Fast

03-24-2019, 12:53 PM #25
I am just working to finish the design. It's getting there, but other projects are getting in the way.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-24-2019, 12:53 PM #25

I am just working to finish the design. It's getting there, but other projects are getting in the way.

Baldur Gislason

Motohead1
Naturally-aspirated

03-24-2019, 09:34 PM #26
Hey I understand that. Thanks for the update!
Motohead1
03-24-2019, 09:34 PM #26

Hey I understand that. Thanks for the update!

madmog
Naturally-aspirated

03-25-2019, 01:18 PM #27
When the OM613 is ready & available, will also do OM611 and OM612 Baldur?
madmog
03-25-2019, 01:18 PM #27

When the OM613 is ready & available, will also do OM611 and OM612 Baldur?

baldur
Fast

03-26-2019, 05:36 AM #28
(03-25-2019, 01:18 PM)madmog When the OM613 is ready & available, will also do OM611 and OM612 Baldur?

Yes, as the OM611 and OM612 use the same ECU board as the OM613 it will be a plug and play fit for those as well.
It will be able to handle any engine that has solenoid injectors, up to 8 cylinders, so OM646-OM648 and OM628 will also work but they will need a change of connector on their wiring harness. Same for earlier BMW M57 engines, Cummins, Toyota and even Volkswagen PD engines will work.
Once this platform is in production I plan to create another version for piezoelectric injectors which will cover all of the newest engines like OM642.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-26-2019, 05:36 AM #28

(03-25-2019, 01:18 PM)madmog When the OM613 is ready & available, will also do OM611 and OM612 Baldur?

Yes, as the OM611 and OM612 use the same ECU board as the OM613 it will be a plug and play fit for those as well.
It will be able to handle any engine that has solenoid injectors, up to 8 cylinders, so OM646-OM648 and OM628 will also work but they will need a change of connector on their wiring harness. Same for earlier BMW M57 engines, Cummins, Toyota and even Volkswagen PD engines will work.
Once this platform is in production I plan to create another version for piezoelectric injectors which will cover all of the newest engines like OM642.

Baldur Gislason

madmog
Naturally-aspirated

03-26-2019, 07:41 AM #29
Awesome, thanks Baldur
madmog
03-26-2019, 07:41 AM #29

Awesome, thanks Baldur

Langstrom
Unregistered

04-17-2019, 08:49 AM #30
This looks awesome baldur! What's the current status of this project?

Langstrom
Langstrom
04-17-2019, 08:49 AM #30

This looks awesome baldur! What's the current status of this project?

Langstrom

baldur
Fast

04-17-2019, 08:52 AM #31
(04-17-2019, 08:49 AM)Langstrom This looks awesome baldur! What's the current status of this project?

Langstrom

I have been so busy with other projects that progress on getting the production design done is slow, but I'm getting there. Schematic has been finalised but board layout is left.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
04-17-2019, 08:52 AM #31

(04-17-2019, 08:49 AM)Langstrom This looks awesome baldur! What's the current status of this project?

Langstrom

I have been so busy with other projects that progress on getting the production design done is slow, but I'm getting there. Schematic has been finalised but board layout is left.

Baldur Gislason

starynovy
Holset

04-20-2019, 04:53 AM #32
Ou yea thats my kind of response. Big Grin Well depends on what you want to achieve but sometimes you just can not yank bosch ems and throw it away. With descriptor files etc. its not bad to tune however this being mostly mercedes forum, tuning edc15c6 found on early cdis is major pain and you can forget about proper map scaling beyond 100mm3. On the other hand edc15c4 found on early m57 have descriptor files available and you can change whatever, even make it proper tuned for more than 100mm3, change throttle response and so on. So its either swapping bmw ecu on cdi or yours standalone system which would still be better as it is sufficiently dumb, bosch uses milion bites and constants around every parameter.

starynovy
04-20-2019, 04:53 AM #32

Ou yea thats my kind of response. Big Grin Well depends on what you want to achieve but sometimes you just can not yank bosch ems and throw it away. With descriptor files etc. its not bad to tune however this being mostly mercedes forum, tuning edc15c6 found on early cdis is major pain and you can forget about proper map scaling beyond 100mm3. On the other hand edc15c4 found on early m57 have descriptor files available and you can change whatever, even make it proper tuned for more than 100mm3, change throttle response and so on. So its either swapping bmw ecu on cdi or yours standalone system which would still be better as it is sufficiently dumb, bosch uses milion bites and constants around every parameter.

madmog
Naturally-aspirated

05-11-2019, 06:35 AM #33
Baldur, I'm curious, are you planning on having any out-of-ordinary-readings cause a limp mode event? Or, if not limp mode, will out-of-ordinary-readings toy your ECU create an OBD type message, light a warning light or whatever?

Or is it simply a case of when something isn't running correctly, a failed MAF sensor or whatever, it's tracked down in the old fashioned way?

Thanks
madmog
05-11-2019, 06:35 AM #33

Baldur, I'm curious, are you planning on having any out-of-ordinary-readings cause a limp mode event? Or, if not limp mode, will out-of-ordinary-readings toy your ECU create an OBD type message, light a warning light or whatever?

Or is it simply a case of when something isn't running correctly, a failed MAF sensor or whatever, it's tracked down in the old fashioned way?

Thanks

baldur
Fast

05-12-2019, 06:03 PM #34
(05-11-2019, 06:35 AM)madmog Baldur, I'm curious, are you planning on having any out-of-ordinary-readings cause a limp mode event? Or, if not limp mode, will out-of-ordinary-readings toy your ECU create an OBD type message, light a warning light or whatever?

Thanks

Yes there will be a comprehensive set of self diagnostics on there including OBD messages.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
05-12-2019, 06:03 PM #34

(05-11-2019, 06:35 AM)madmog Baldur, I'm curious, are you planning on having any out-of-ordinary-readings cause a limp mode event? Or, if not limp mode, will out-of-ordinary-readings toy your ECU create an OBD type message, light a warning light or whatever?

Thanks

Yes there will be a comprehensive set of self diagnostics on there including OBD messages.

Baldur Gislason

madmog
Naturally-aspirated

05-13-2019, 02:14 PM #35
(03-26-2019, 05:36 AM)baldur

(05-12-2019, 06:03 PM)baldur

Thanks

Awesome!!
madmog
05-13-2019, 02:14 PM #35

(03-26-2019, 05:36 AM)baldur

Thanks

Awesome!!

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

07-29-2019, 03:41 PM #36
This is awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting one of these!

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
07-29-2019, 03:41 PM #36

This is awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting one of these!

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

atypicalguy
Holset

07-29-2019, 11:04 PM #37

Thanks

You could easily fund development of this using kickstarter or Patreon or some such mechanism. I think there are several to choose from now.
atypicalguy
07-29-2019, 11:04 PM #37

Thanks

You could easily fund development of this using kickstarter or Patreon or some such mechanism. I think there are several to choose from now.

baldur
Fast

07-30-2019, 02:08 PM #38
(07-29-2019, 11:04 PM)atypicalguy

Thanks

It's not a problem. I have everything needed to develop it, only thing that is in short supply is time and much of my time is being eaten up by billed projects. If I apply the billed rate to the development hours on this project it's over $100k by now.
That being said, I am making progress. I am maybe 3/4 of the way through the design work on the production circuit board. I hope to get a prototype built of the production board in a few weeks time and then if I don't find any errors in that design I will pull the trigger on doing a manufacturing run. There are 4 cars driving on the initial prototype design and it works well although the firmware needs more development.
This post was last modified: 07-30-2019, 02:09 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
07-30-2019, 02:08 PM #38

Thanks

It's not a problem. I have everything needed to develop it, only thing that is in short supply is time and much of my time is being eaten up by billed projects. If I apply the billed rate to the development hours on this project it's over $100k by now.
That being said, I am making progress. I am maybe 3/4 of the way through the design work on the production circuit board. I hope to get a prototype built of the production board in a few weeks time and then if I don't find any errors in that design I will pull the trigger on doing a manufacturing run. There are 4 cars driving on the initial prototype design and it works well although the firmware needs more development.

Baldur Gislason

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

08-13-2019, 11:52 PM #39
(05-12-2019, 06:03 PM)baldur Yes there will be a comprehensive set of self diagnostics on there including OBD messages.

I know this is a whole other can of worms, but have you considered trying to tie in any emissions systems?  Some Bosch Denoxtronic pumps and spray controllers talk to ECU via CAN and somehow modify spray of NH3 in exhaust stream due to engine load, etc.  I've been looking into trying to retrofit a modified denox standalone system (or 2) from a Sprinter to try to modify exhaust gases.

Obviously, getting the main system ready for manufacture is first priority, just curious as to whether or not you've considered emissions control as a long term goal.

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
08-13-2019, 11:52 PM #39

(05-12-2019, 06:03 PM)baldur Yes there will be a comprehensive set of self diagnostics on there including OBD messages.

I know this is a whole other can of worms, but have you considered trying to tie in any emissions systems?  Some Bosch Denoxtronic pumps and spray controllers talk to ECU via CAN and somehow modify spray of NH3 in exhaust stream due to engine load, etc.  I've been looking into trying to retrofit a modified denox standalone system (or 2) from a Sprinter to try to modify exhaust gases.

Obviously, getting the main system ready for manufacture is first priority, just curious as to whether or not you've considered emissions control as a long term goal.

OBK# 62

baldur
Fast

08-14-2019, 01:18 PM #40
I currently have no plans for emission controls. I plan to address everything else and then maybe I will look at emission controls.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
08-14-2019, 01:18 PM #40

I currently have no plans for emission controls. I plan to address everything else and then maybe I will look at emission controls.

Baldur Gislason

atypicalguy
Holset

08-28-2019, 08:08 PM #41
(07-30-2019, 02:08 PM)baldur

Cool. Keep us posted.
atypicalguy
08-28-2019, 08:08 PM #41

(07-30-2019, 02:08 PM)baldur

Cool. Keep us posted.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-04-2019, 01:56 AM #42
(08-28-2019, 08:08 PM)atypicalguy Cool. Keep us posted.

Agreed...super stoked about this!

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-04-2019, 01:56 AM #42

(08-28-2019, 08:08 PM)atypicalguy Cool. Keep us posted.

Agreed...super stoked about this!

OBK# 62

baldur
Fast

10-15-2019, 08:01 PM #43
I got manufacturing of my controller started today, expecting to receive boards and enclosures around a month from now.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
10-15-2019, 08:01 PM #43

I got manufacturing of my controller started today, expecting to receive boards and enclosures around a month from now.

Baldur Gislason

atypicalguy
Holset

10-24-2019, 07:03 PM #44
(10-15-2019, 08:01 PM)baldur I got manufacturing of my controller started today, expecting to receive boards and enclosures around a month from now.

If I have a stock 648 and want to put a larger turbo on it, would I be able to use your ecu and manage the tuning myself, or would I need to work with you long distance or take it to a tuning shop? How do you see this playing out for the end user? Thanks.
atypicalguy
10-24-2019, 07:03 PM #44

(10-15-2019, 08:01 PM)baldur I got manufacturing of my controller started today, expecting to receive boards and enclosures around a month from now.

If I have a stock 648 and want to put a larger turbo on it, would I be able to use your ecu and manage the tuning myself, or would I need to work with you long distance or take it to a tuning shop? How do you see this playing out for the end user? Thanks.

baldur
Fast

10-24-2019, 10:35 PM #45
(10-24-2019, 07:03 PM)atypicalguy

The end game is to make tuning as easy as possible with no extra hardware required other than a laptop PC. Much like my current systems, I will have reasonable base maps available for the engines I have worked with and I am able to provide assistance with making changes to those maps but the user can also make changes themselves.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
10-24-2019, 10:35 PM #45

(10-24-2019, 07:03 PM)atypicalguy

The end game is to make tuning as easy as possible with no extra hardware required other than a laptop PC. Much like my current systems, I will have reasonable base maps available for the engines I have worked with and I am able to provide assistance with making changes to those maps but the user can also make changes themselves.

Baldur Gislason

orion
K26-2

10-31-2019, 06:23 PM #46
Hello Baldur,

nice to see the progress in this project. You explain that it's possible to control a OM628. Can you confirm this message?
orion
10-31-2019, 06:23 PM #46

Hello Baldur,

nice to see the progress in this project. You explain that it's possible to control a OM628. Can you confirm this message?

baldur
Fast

10-31-2019, 08:14 PM #47
Hello. Yes the OM628 uses solenoid injectors similar to those found on the OM613 so that engine can be controlled with this unit.
I have not yet reverse engineered the electronic actuators on the stock OM628 turbochargers but as far as the engine itself that is a piece of cake.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
10-31-2019, 08:14 PM #47

Hello. Yes the OM628 uses solenoid injectors similar to those found on the OM613 so that engine can be controlled with this unit.
I have not yet reverse engineered the electronic actuators on the stock OM628 turbochargers but as far as the engine itself that is a piece of cake.

Baldur Gislason

orion
K26-2

11-01-2019, 03:32 AM #48
Very interesting. I think the actuaters works with a PWM. But thats not the problem, its possible to swap to K03S chargers with pressure actuators and work with a valve, maybe from VW
orion
11-01-2019, 03:32 AM #48

Very interesting. I think the actuaters works with a PWM. But thats not the problem, its possible to swap to K03S chargers with pressure actuators and work with a valve, maybe from VW

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

11-03-2019, 08:02 PM #49

Awesome!. Best news I've heard all week!

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
11-03-2019, 08:02 PM #49

Awesome!. Best news I've heard all week!

OBK# 62

baldur
Fast

11-22-2019, 10:29 AM #50
I am happy to announce that after over a year of development work and several prototypes built with a decent amount of fault free running time on them I am finally ready to receive orders for the DID1 direct injection diesel controller. This is capable of operating common rail diesel engines with solenoid injectors, up to 8 cylinders.
https://controls.is/shop/DID1

Baldur Gislason

baldur
11-22-2019, 10:29 AM #50

I am happy to announce that after over a year of development work and several prototypes built with a decent amount of fault free running time on them I am finally ready to receive orders for the DID1 direct injection diesel controller. This is capable of operating common rail diesel engines with solenoid injectors, up to 8 cylinders.
https://controls.is/shop/DID1

Baldur Gislason

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average