STD Tuning Body Mods Messed up the door chrome arches, advice needed

Messed up the door chrome arches, advice needed

Messed up the door chrome arches, advice needed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-11-2012, 06:40 PM #1
Okay,

So Im pretty much making my car worse by trying to make it better.

I was trying to polish the chrome arches found on the rear of the doors and on the passenger side I guess I polished too hard ( I was using a buff pad that goes on a power drill)

and now there's a line going down it which looks like I peeled away the chrome plating. Now before I started the chrome was very "cloudy" and it is noticeably shinier but not where I want it to be.

how can I fix this?

[Image: 20120611_192758.jpg]

EDIT: If the piece is removable, does someone want to sell me another one?
This post was last modified: 06-11-2012, 07:59 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
06-11-2012, 06:40 PM #1

Okay,

I was trying to polish the chrome arches found on the rear of the doors and on the passenger side I guess I polished too hard ( I was using a buff pad that goes on a power drill)

and now there's a line going down it which looks like I peeled away the chrome plating. Now before I started the chrome was very "cloudy" and it is noticeably shinier but not where I want it to be.

how can I fix this?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-12-2012, 09:34 AM #2
As I understand, the W123's don't have chrome trim-it's just aluminum with clearcoat. Looks like you let the polishing compound dried up and started to rub through the top layer. Get some more compound on there and hit it again-what's the worst that can happen?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-12-2012, 09:34 AM #2

As I understand, the W123's don't have chrome trim-it's just aluminum with clearcoat. Looks like you let the polishing compound dried up and started to rub through the top layer. Get some more compound on there and hit it again-what's the worst that can happen?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-12-2012, 10:57 AM #3
(06-12-2012, 09:34 AM)Simpler=Better As I understand, the W123's don't have chrome trim-it's just aluminum with clearcoat. Looks like you let the polishing compound dried up and started to rub through the top layer. Get some more compound on there and hit it again-what's the worst that can happen?

so that would make sense as to why the chrome polish i have been using never works! Also I bought this "polishing" set from harbor frieght and it had two bars in it. One white and the other is red. I used the white one because the packaging said it was for chrome.

So from what I gather your saying I removed the clearcoat? If I keep polishing long enough will i just expose the aluminum and make that bad boy shiny?
Purplecomputer
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM #3

(06-12-2012, 09:34 AM)Simpler=Better As I understand, the W123's don't have chrome trim-it's just aluminum with clearcoat. Looks like you let the polishing compound dried up and started to rub through the top layer. Get some more compound on there and hit it again-what's the worst that can happen?

so that would make sense as to why the chrome polish i have been using never works! Also I bought this "polishing" set from harbor frieght and it had two bars in it. One white and the other is red. I used the white one because the packaging said it was for chrome.

So from what I gather your saying I removed the clearcoat? If I keep polishing long enough will i just expose the aluminum and make that bad boy shiny?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-12-2012, 11:48 AM #4
You need to get a nice fuzzy polishing tool, HF has them cheap.
Then you need to get your hands on some Mother's Aluminum Polish-it's in a tub and kinda like a thick jelly. The HF polishing kit is for rough metal to a shiny finish.

I've also heard good things about " Nev'r Dull " polish. If you use chrome polish on aluminum, or vice versa, it's going to take 10 years and might not look that great. The mothers will impress you, believe me.
This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM #4

You need to get a nice fuzzy polishing tool, HF has them cheap.
Then you need to get your hands on some Mother's Aluminum Polish-it's in a tub and kinda like a thick jelly. The HF polishing kit is for rough metal to a shiny finish.

I've also heard good things about " Nev'r Dull " polish. If you use chrome polish on aluminum, or vice versa, it's going to take 10 years and might not look that great. The mothers will impress you, believe me.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-12-2012, 11:59 AM #5
(06-12-2012, 11:48 AM)Simpler=Better You need to get a nice fuzzy polishing tool, HF has them cheap.

Thanks on the input, I thought it was chrome and I was going about it the wrong way.

I was reading up on other forums that some people remove the clear coat by wet sanding or using chemicals should I try this or use this as a last resort?,

also Can I find this stuff at most auto parts stores?
This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 12:15 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM #5

(06-12-2012, 11:48 AM)Simpler=Better You need to get a nice fuzzy polishing tool, HF has them cheap.

Thanks on the input, I thought it was chrome and I was going about it the wrong way.

I was reading up on other forums that some people remove the clear coat by wet sanding or using chemicals should I try this or use this as a last resort?,

also Can I find this stuff at most auto parts stores?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-12-2012, 03:04 PM #6
Mother's is sold at all car parts stores, Walmart, most hardware stores, and probably HF.

Acetone will strip the clearcoat in no time, just make sure you don't get ANY on the paint. Or your skin. Or your lungs.

Simpler=Better
06-12-2012, 03:04 PM #6

Mother's is sold at all car parts stores, Walmart, most hardware stores, and probably HF.

Acetone will strip the clearcoat in no time, just make sure you don't get ANY on the paint. Or your skin. Or your lungs.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-12-2012, 03:29 PM #7
(06-12-2012, 03:04 PM)Simpler=Better Mother's is sold at all car parts stores, Walmart, most hardware stores, and probably HF.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with something so stupid.

But just to clarify, should I strip the clear coat or leave it alone?
Purplecomputer
06-12-2012, 03:29 PM #7

(06-12-2012, 03:04 PM)Simpler=Better Mother's is sold at all car parts stores, Walmart, most hardware stores, and probably HF.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with something so stupid.

But just to clarify, should I strip the clear coat or leave it alone?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-12-2012, 03:32 PM #8
Can't really polish the metal if it has a layer of clearcoat on it now can you :p

I was the polishing guru at school-I could get polycarbonate clear as glass, and make 1018 (cheap steel) shine like chrome. Now I don't have the same amount of free time :p
This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM #8

Can't really polish the metal if it has a layer of clearcoat on it now can you :p

I was the polishing guru at school-I could get polycarbonate clear as glass, and make 1018 (cheap steel) shine like chrome. Now I don't have the same amount of free time :p

lpumb3
617 300sd

10-26-2012, 08:22 PM #9
hi there is the molding on the 126's the same situation? i just put chrome wheels on mine and the dull trim looks dookey :-( so now i gotta make it shine . should i just remove it sand it polish it and hit it with clear again ? it seems like you have a grasp on it Simpler, its almost black in some areas like it has the aluminum corrosion thing happening Undecided thanks all
lpumb3
10-26-2012, 08:22 PM #9

hi there is the molding on the 126's the same situation? i just put chrome wheels on mine and the dull trim looks dookey :-( so now i gotta make it shine . should i just remove it sand it polish it and hit it with clear again ? it seems like you have a grasp on it Simpler, its almost black in some areas like it has the aluminum corrosion thing happening Undecided thanks all

300td
Naturally-aspirated

12-01-2012, 11:34 PM #10
(06-11-2012, 06:40 PM)Purplecomputer Okay,

how can I fix this?

ive got the same problem, idk what ill do, im thinking i might repaint all of it silver cause my w123 is blue and silver and blue looks awsome

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad
300td
12-01-2012, 11:34 PM #10

(06-11-2012, 06:40 PM)Purplecomputer Okay,

how can I fix this?

ive got the same problem, idk what ill do, im thinking i might repaint all of it silver cause my w123 is blue and silver and blue looks awsome

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average