STD
New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D (/showthread.php?tid=858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-11-2010

haha just kidding. Sounds sweet man!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ConnClark - 08-11-2010

Get us a drive test report ASAP!! Also take someone with you to get a video of the first Honda you smoke with it Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 08-11-2010

(08-11-2010, 05:44 PM)Rudolf_Diesel ...It sounds wicked and needs to be driven!Big GrinBig Grin

Exciting. It does sound wicked. Might wake the neighbors up at night as you accelerate by! Wink

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 08-11-2010

(08-11-2010, 04:04 PM)Rudolf_Diesel IT'S ALIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUwlDkPtxqg

[Image: Benderinputsexanimation.gif]

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 08-11-2010

This is one serious grin on my face!
Sounds bitchin!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 08-11-2010

Wow Big Grin Congratulations, that is an achievement. We need video from inside, and also maybe a chase car. Smile

How did you resolve the belt proximity to the driver side frame, did you bash that in?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-11-2010

Fixed a couple of issues...

I cleaned up the mating surfaces of the turbo water line and CHRA, there is a little ding on the CHRA threaded hole. I used a stone on it to get it smooth, but it is still there. I switched to aluminum washers and it sealed!

The noise I was hearing is actually the injectors, not the SC, there are really loud, I hope it will eventually go away as it runs.

I ordered a new coupling and will change it anyway.

Looks like I will be making a new bracket tomorrow out of steel and adding a few gussets on the back side.

I know the power steering pump is the same rotation as the old one, I bought it from Pick-a-Part so I don't know if it was good to begin with. I will do some more research and see what I come up with.
(08-11-2010, 08:14 PM)dropnosky Wow Big Grin Congratulations, that is an achievement. We need video from inside, and also maybe a chase car. Smile

How did you resolve the belt proximity to the driver side frame, did you bash that in?

Thanks, it is still a work in progress though, you know how that goes!Big Grin

First the power steering issue then the road test...

I ended up cutting a slit on either side of the area I needed clearance on and did a little trimming and hammer work. After the proper clearance was achieved I welded up the seams, primered and painted.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 08-11-2010

Some times it takes a long time to bleed a power steering system did you turn the wheel lock to lock several times?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-11-2010

(08-11-2010, 06:40 PM)ConnClark Get us a drive test report ASAP!! Also take someone with you to get a video of the first Honda you smoke with it Big Grin

(08-11-2010, 08:14 PM)dropnosky Wow Big Grin Congratulations, that is an achievement. We need video from inside, and also maybe a chase car. Smile

Me! Me! Pick Me! I Volunteer! I'll Do It! Pick Me!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - E300TSC - 08-12-2010

Fantastic! It has to be a great feeling hearing it fire for the first time!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 08-12-2010

FUCKING EPIC!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-12-2010

I fixed the naughty A/C bracket today, this should do the trick!

Old bad bracket!

New and improved design on welding table cooling

Blasted and ready for coating

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-12-2010

Rudolf, Your last post makes me cry ... You dont even have to worry about warping... @#(4(#$4*&7@@26!

I wish I was a blah blah at a blah blah!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ID240D - 08-12-2010

That should definitely keep it in place!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 08-13-2010

WOW!!! It looks so good. I just wondering, what kind of power will that thing will make?!///

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - SurfRodder - 08-13-2010

Absolutely Awesome!

On a related note, I was in L.A. last weekend for a few hours, but didn't get around to finding the G flywheel(pretty sure it's in the trunk of one of my other project cars), let alone cleaning it or taking pics. Ill be up there for a few days in another week or two and I'll get you those pics.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-16-2010

I was out of town this weekend (Never ever mix beer and tequila, ask me how I knowBig Grin) but I am off this week and I will be doing my best to get'r done.

I powder coated the new A/C bracket today and bolted it on, it has NO flex and works great.

I bled the power steering by jacking up the car and turning the wheels lock to lock with the engine off. I did this quite a few times and then with the engine running - after sitting for a few hours, voila power steering! It works like stock and NO noise or squeal, that was always a worry because of the wrap of the belt, but so far so good.

I test drove the car todayBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin It just has the down pipe for now and I don't have the bypass valves hooked either - it sounds likes a Cummins with a 5" exhaustBig Grin The S/C sounds freakin awesome.

I need to adjust the ALDA to get rid of some smoke, this pump lays down some fuel! I also need to adjust the trans vacuum control valve as well.

When driving it starts out smooth and as the boost builds the RPMS climb and the power is right there with plenty more to go, it is almost like driving my brothers Dodge with a Cummins and a chip, smooth and plenty of torque. As I make adjustments it will get better!

I reallly need to change the coupling on the S/C, it sounds like shit!

Stay tuned...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 08-16-2010

I am keep watching and watching this thread. ))))))

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 08-17-2010

more videos!!! I beg of you

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ConnClark - 08-17-2010

Thanks for the quick drive report. Now get someone to ride shotgun and shoot videos of you smoking a Honda!!!! Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 08-17-2010

(08-17-2010, 10:21 AM)ConnClark Thanks for the quick drive report. Now get someone to ride shotgun and shoot videos of you smoking a Honda!!!! Big Grin

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this statement!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-17-2010

(08-17-2010, 10:21 AM)ConnClark Thanks for the quick drive report. Now get someone to ride shotgun and shoot videos of you smoking a Honda!!!! Big Grin

I volunteer! Angel

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 08-17-2010

Yeah get past the "break in period" or w/e and lets get some vids cant wait to see this thing tear up the local 1/4 with some drag radials on the rear tires!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ID240D - 08-21-2010

Had time to mess with this setup anymore? I am like the others and can't wait to see more videos.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-21-2010

(08-21-2010, 03:46 PM)ID240D Had time to mess with this setup anymore? I am like the others and can't wait to see more videos.

I have been busy at work and trying to get things done on the car as well. I replaced the coupling on the supercharger and it eliminated the ball bearing in a can sound it was making.

I am also working on the exahust system and hope to be done with it soon.

The trans needs some more tweaking as far as the vacuum valve setting goes, it slips and flares really bad.

I just bought a video camera and have a few posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4hh_WUxKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDnz3iMugA

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - winmutt - 08-22-2010

Did I miss a 0-60 number?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-22-2010

(08-22-2010, 08:18 AM)winmutt Did I miss a 0-60 number?

I haven't tried to record it yet, the trans is not set up to give me a decent shift to get a good run. I am going to mess with it today and see if I can get it working right.

All I can say is that I really want a 5-speed now!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 08-22-2010

ha ha! wow, I love those videos!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 08-22-2010

(08-22-2010, 09:13 AM)Rudolf_Diesel
(08-22-2010, 08:18 AM)winmutt Did I miss a 0-60 number?

I haven't tried to record it yet, the trans is not set up to give me a decent shift to get a good run. I am going to mess with it today and see if I can get it working right.

All I can say is that I really want a 5-speed now!

Good work man, good work.
Now, you need to take that auto tranny and swap a manual 5 speed.

I made a few changes to the vacuum setup on the trans and it is much better, but a few more tweaks and it should be good. I did a quick 0-60 run with the trans still giving some problems and it was 10.4 sec - I don't even have the fuel truned up, it is probably at 50% full load.

I washed the car today and am going to take it easy and spend some time with my boys. If goes well I should be at the track in a few weeks for a couple of runs on the 1/8th.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 08-22-2010

If the 617 shares the bolt pattern with the 602 I have a trans swap I can sell you.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 08-22-2010

They don't. If the swap with a 201 transmission was easy everyone would have a 5-speed.

(08-22-2010, 02:50 PM)meareweird If the 617 shares the bolt pattern with the 602 I have a trans swap I can sell you.

I have my trans project in the works, search for Skunkwerks 2.0 - It is just a matter of time and money. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the year.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ID240D - 08-22-2010

Thanks for the videos great job on the car looking forward to some video footage from the track.

Justin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-24-2010

WOW! Looks feaking awesome!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 08-24-2010

You could probably make a new sub forum in the pic/videos folder for all of the awesome videos you will undoubtedly upload for the rest of us please and thank you!!!! Thank you for all of your pioneering and engineering and proving it could be done!!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-24-2010

As soon as she is "road worthy" Big Grin I will post as many videos as I can. My sons are fighting over who gets to be the camera man.

I finshed fabbing up the rest of the exhaust and need to bolt it up and make a few hangers and a down pipe for the end of the muffler. I think I am going to go with a 45* with a miter cut or some form of that design.

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments...last week I was having some issues and almost felt like trashing the whole thing...a good nights sleep always helps!

I am trying the best I can to see what this engine will do...I am hoping she can take the punishment, albiet light, and keep on going.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 08-24-2010

(08-24-2010, 11:04 AM)Rudolf_Diesel last week I was having some issues and almost felt like trashing the whole thing

I'm sure there is no lack of people scratching at your door willing to take it. Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 08-25-2010

(08-22-2010, 01:51 PM)Rudolf_Diesel If goes well I should be at the track in a few weeks for a couple of runs on the 1/8th.

Are you talking about the irwindale speedway by chance?

I belive thursdays they allow anyone to run there car on the 1/8th mile.
Its be really cool to meet up and watch your car do a couple runs!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-25-2010

(08-25-2010, 08:24 PM)garage
(08-22-2010, 01:51 PM)Rudolf_Diesel If goes well I should be at the track in a few weeks for a couple of runs on the 1/8th.

You are correct, I live a few miles away and try to get out there at least once a month to watch the cars run. If all goes well it will be next week, I will post more as it gets closer.

Deliveryvalve came by today to drop off some parts and I gave him and his son a ride, I even let him drive it. I was hoping he was going to post a review of the project.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 08-25-2010

(08-25-2010, 10:50 PM)Rudolf_Diesel
(08-25-2010, 08:24 PM)garage

You are correct, I live a few miles away and try to get out there at least once a month to watch the cars run. If all goes well it will be next week, I will post more as it gets closer.

Deliveryvalve came by today to drop off some parts and I gave him and his son a ride, I even let him drive it. I was hoping he was going to post a review of the project.

Right on! I use to go out there quite often and watch them run on thursday nights, i havnt been in a long time..id definetly be cool to check it out, out there.

Ahh lucky!!
Cant wait to hear..read what he has to say about it.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-26-2010

ExclamationExclamationExclamation That guy got to drive!?! ExclamationExclamationExclamation

F*&k Me! ugggghhhhhhhh

When you drive the car is always slower then when your shotgun....

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 08-26-2010

(08-26-2010, 12:56 AM)Captain America ExclamationExclamationExclamation That guy got to drive!?! ExclamationExclamationExclamation

F*&k Me! ugggghhhhhhhh

When you drive the car is always slower then when your shotgun....

Yeah "That guy got drive"Big Grin The funny thing is R_D is taller then my 5' 6" ass and his seat doesn't adjust very well or not. So I am leaning back hard (almost laying down) to reach pedals. It was quite humorous for me. Didn't get to really step on it since I was laying down, but it was enough to get a little bit of feel. For what I did, I thought it ran pretty good. Probably a lot better/more responsive if R_D dialed it in more. It'll take time, still a work in progress.

Now when he was driving it, that is the first 617 to push me down in the seat like that. So that is telling a lot, I've been a passenger of some fast 617s before. This was even with the fuel not turned up on the IP. R_D showed me the adjustment it was probably 10% out. Anyrate, I just had this grin plastered on my face during that whole test drive.

The engine bay is just a beautiful sight to see. This is my second time seeing "UBER DZL" (first time with the IP installed) and still marvel at R_D's workmanship.
First walking up to it he had it running in the driveway. The engine itself sounds mean, coupled to the short exhaust, it was just rumbling! It has a screeching idler, but will be taken car of. I was wondering what the injector sounds compares to and R_D mentions it sounds like his brother's Cummins. It does sound like a Cummins.

Once he get's it all dialed in, I would love to go to Irwindale and see it run.

Goose Bumps!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-26-2010

I got the exahust bolted up and she sounds sweet! I still need to weld on the hangers, just put some heavy wire for now so I could test drive it. I also need the down pipe, stupid soot got all over the bumperAngry

I took it on the freeway and it drives really nice, floor it and the power is there. I was in a little heavy traffic and some bitch comes up beside me and toots her horn and waves her hand in front of her nose - maybe she fartedHuhBig Grin I let her know she was #1 in my book.

I made a change to the bypass valves so that the 70mm bypass is closed at idle and the S/C bypass is open. This way the intake at idle is going through the S/C and the motor is getting a little more air. This should help with the bit of smoke I am getting at idle and it also helps with the crank case breather by providing a vacuum from the rotors of the S/C. I test drove it after the change and it made a difference, a little more power as well.

I am also going to add a MBC (Manual Boost Controller) to the ALDA to gain more control of when more fuel comes in. The spring that is in there starts to add fuel at 7 psi and that seems to be too soon and I am getting a bit too much smoke off the line. Once the air catches up the smoke goes away.

I need to go to Pick-a-Part and get some vacuum orifices to dial in my trans shiftingproblem - I think I need smaller one to reduce the amount of vacuum. I also need a new hood latch handle- pos broke.

Stupid Soot - - Lmfao! really? You just said that? haha

Yeah I would have pulled in front of her and told her how I really felt! With the accelerator peddle.

MBC also stands for Mocking Bird canyon - - My hood...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 08-27-2010

(08-26-2010, 10:59 PM)Captain America Stupid Soot - - Lmfao! really? You just said that? haha

He should. With a supercharger there should be no soot!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-27-2010

(08-27-2010, 05:37 AM)ForcedInduction
(08-26-2010, 10:59 PM)Captain America Stupid Soot - - Lmfao! really? You just said that? haha

He should. With a supercharger there should be no soot!

Well yeah I guess your right but I was just thinking in the general diesel world that's a funny thing to say lol Tongue

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 08-30-2010

Let Me say that Rudolf's car is f!!kin Sick! Exclamation He came to my house to help me with my IP. The thing is beastly sounding! And then the SC on top of it... awe man its nice. It leaves a soot trail on the street when he pulls away lol like a little bread crumb trail. Too bad we cursed his charging system, we were all ready to go shoot some video of driving around and his battery was dead. Sad Wa! The power feels like an electric motor, just a flat torque curve, from the short drive between my house and the garage we were working at. The auto trans is hating life right now but she pulls like a train. And to top it off Rudolf is a great guy, super cool, very helpful...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 08-30-2010

VIDEOS NOW !!!