STD
New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D (/showthread.php?tid=858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 03-25-2010

The machine work on this is just so impressive! I keeping waiting for some evidence of hackage, but even the mockup is beautiful! Just like everyone else, I can't wait to see this running.

FYI, I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but ive seen 3 or 4 of the duramax tensioners start hopping like crazy in short time and require replacement. Might be worth keeping a spare with the car. Not sure if its a concern or not, but it was the same thing on all, and I absorbed it as a potential issue.

This was on the earlier models though, think an LLY or LBZ, so its probably a non issue.

Great work!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-03-2010

Thanks for the heads up on the tensioner. The one I purchased is an after market, maybe the OEM is better?

Evidence of hackage? Not sure what you mean, but I try my best to have form and function! I am a bit anal-retentive with a dash of OCDBig Grin When I build equipment or other projects I ALWAYS try to leave a lasting impression - You will be remembered one of two ways, That guy did a hell of a job, or that guy did a shitty job and I never want to see him again.

I try to keep cost in mind, but I just cannot bring myself to use something designed for feces on my carTongue If it works for you then more power to you, but not for me.

There is someone better than me and I use there knowledge to guide my designs if I cannot figure it out for myself. I am not building this to be THE fastest car, I am building it to see what I can do, how much power I can squeeze out of this motor and to see if I can inspire someone to also become an enthusiast.

Off my soap box now and that being said here are a couple of pics of my exhaust system...I am waiting for my pump and its' 7.5 mm elements to be completed and then I WILL RULE THE WORLD!!! MUWAHAHAHAHABig Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 04-03-2010

Looking good I like the exhaust so far!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 04-03-2010

Hey, your pipe is pointing the wrong direction, I thought you were going to run a hood stack!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-03-2010

(04-03-2010, 05:17 PM)ForcedInduction Hey, your pipe is pointing the wrong direction, I thought you were going to run a hood stack!

Big Grin It's adjustable, I thought about having a port like the cars that have a bypass for open headers, but that probably won't happen...The OEM bracket will be utilized for support. I do not have a flex joint after the turbo on my current set up, it all seems to expand and contract nicely. It is held together with v-band clamps so they may allow for expansion and contraction.

I still need to trim the 90 to get the angle to follow the contour of the OEM pipe. I just ordered a 3" x 6" flex joint that I will place as the OEM design has. There will be another v-band clamp on the bottom side of the flex joint after a 90 elbow. A few more bends and I will probably end up going with a round full flow muffler, I may go with Borla or Magnaflow.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-05-2010

A couple of pics, 2 of turbo bypass valve and 1 of an M-pump installed, not "THEE" M-pump (7.5mm elements).Tongue

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-11-2010

Got bored lastnight and decided to dress up my brackets, It may not be to your liking, but ask me if I careBig Grin, that being said...(and yes it is real carbon fiber)

Valve cover strut bracket, before paint

Valve cover strut bracket, after paint

Supercharger mounting plate

By the way, I just picked up a set of headlights and wanted to see what you thought, see I do care about your opinion, sometimesBig Grin

What do you think, too big?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 04-13-2010

Don't they come in a square design?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-17-2010

I painted my intake and Got a few parts back from the plating co. - they were yellow zinc coated.

Intake/intercooler painted wrinkle black to match valve cover

Another pic of intake manifold

Throttle linkage rebuilt to remove slop and replated yellow zinc

Throttle bell crank cleaned up of unnecessary attachments

Alternator bracket and idler assembly

A/C support bracket and idler bracket

Idler bracket

Aluminum mounting plate for tensioner/idler

I also had my injector lines plated and many other parts as well. I porbably had a 100 parts and it cost me $85.00

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Kiwibacon - 04-17-2010

Very pretty, but does it go?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-17-2010

(04-17-2010, 08:23 PM)Kiwibacon Very pretty, but does it go?

Time will only tell. Rolleyes

I am definitley going to drive this thing, maybe even a gratuitous burnout becasue I can. It will eventually see the dyno and remain a daily driver.

My philosophy is to do it right and make it look good too. My taste may not suit everyone, but it is, in my opinion, done tastfully. Once the enitre package gets completed I will be proud to open my hood, show you my engine and stomp all over your dieselBig Grin

Countless times I watch these hotrod shows on TV and they almost never clean or coat areas that need attention. The old saying chrome wont get you home applies here too, but no reason you can't make things look nice. This was never intended as a budget build or see what I can make for $22.00 bucks and look like you spent way less.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Biohazard - 04-18-2010

Looking great!

[quote]My taste may not suit everyone, but it is, in my opinion, done tastfully

Tastefully done may be a bit modest, but I believe you will have one of the cleanest engines when done. Big Grin

Any update on "THEE" pump? I'm just about as anxious to hear about yours as I am mine! Tongue

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 04-19-2010

Who did the aluminum welding and how much does that person charge?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-20-2010

(04-19-2010, 10:51 PM)supercharged3.0 Who did the aluminum welding and how much does that person charge?

I did all of it, and I am pretty cheapBig Grin

The only piece I did not weld is the crank pulley.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 04-20-2010

Is that rhino liner?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Kozuka - 04-20-2010

Looks like a *crinkle coat* paint.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 04-20-2010

It looks like a high temp crinkle finish?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-20-2010

It is VHT high temp wrinkle finish. I used it on my valve cover a year ago and it is holding up well. After spraying 3 wet coats I let it dry for about 30 minutes and then use an industrial heat gun to get the result you see.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 04-21-2010

You don't see the crinkle finishes very often anymore must be a labor thing? looks good!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-22-2010

A few more pics of progress...

S/C painted and ready for action

More of the S/C

One more of the S/C

Exhaust manifold and turbo housing jet coated

The beginings of my ALDA

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - George3soccer - 04-23-2010

Interesting. Please let us know how the Alda comes along will be looking into that shortly

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rcdevil - 04-24-2010

hey ive been looking at this and is this a supercharger and a turbocharger running together???

thanks,

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Kozuka - 04-24-2010

(04-24-2010, 09:16 PM)Rcdevil hey ive been looking at this and is this a supercharger and a turbocharger running together???

thanks,

Twin-charged (or twin-charging) is the proper term my boy, and can be done in many different ways go back to the first page and look at the diagram I posted, this is considered more of a hybrid-compound system with a by-pass valve when the supercharger is no longer efficiently compressing air compared to the turbocharger it opens, which then allows unrestricted flow to the turbocharger inlet by-passing the supercharger. So you get the low rpm grunt of a pulley-driven system and the high rpm boost of an exhaust-driven system. Google will be your friend, and you will have much to learn. Learn much, you will. Big Grin

Thanks,
Kozuka

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rcdevil - 04-25-2010

(04-24-2010, 09:36 PM)Kozuka
(04-24-2010, 09:16 PM)Rcdevil hey ive been looking at this and is this a supercharger and a turbocharger running together???

thanks,

Twin-charged (or twin-charging) is the proper term my boy, and can be done in many different ways go back to the first page and look at the diagram I posted, this is considered more of a hybrid-compound system with a by-pass valve when the supercharger is no longer efficiently compressing air compared to the turbocharger it opens, which then allows unrestricted flow to the turbocharger inlet by-passing the supercharger. So you get the low rpm grunt of a pulley-driven system and the high rpm boost of an exhaust-driven system. Google will be your friend, and you will have much to learn. Learn much, you will. Big Grin

Thanks,
Kozuka

thanks for the good info, and yea the diagrams are pretty impressive! Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - winmutt - 04-28-2010

I missed the bit about the ALDA, you are building your own?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-28-2010

(04-28-2010, 08:53 AM)winmutt I missed the bit about the ALDA, you are building your own?

Yes, I am building my own. I used a modified BOV and a linkage system. A couple of pics...

Here is a video of the action, I am connecting an air line set to 1 bar = full travel, it is rapid because the hose is disconnected to dump the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=806By9tLa1Q

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 04-28-2010

(04-22-2010, 09:55 PM)Rudolf_Diesel ....

The beginings of my ALDA

Inspired by this?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2150]

Looks like a reversed version.

BTW - I assume you previously operated the M-Pump without one. I take it the 7.5 plus the new induction setup would warrant the use of one.

Example picture courtesy of Charmalu.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 04-28-2010

(04-28-2010, 09:03 PM)DeliveryValve
(04-22-2010, 09:55 PM)Rudolf_Diesel ....

The beginings of my ALDA

Inspired by this?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2150]

Looks like a reversed version.

BTW - I assume you previously operated the M-Pump without one. I take it the 7.5 plus the new induction setup would warrant the use of one.

Example picture courtesy of Charmalu.

I did get some inspiration from the Myna pump, however their version looks like it was slapped together from junk peices. The orientaion was all wrong on the Myna pumpp as well, it would not clear the area where the S/C is to mount.

I was running the M-pump for about 9 months and no form of an ALDA, but it was only putting out twice as much fuel as stock settings give or take a few cc's

The 7.5mm elements are in the area of 4 times the amount of fuel as stock. Even though I will have instant air via the S/C, I still need to be cautious of smoke, especially in So. Cal..

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-02-2010

I started to disassemble my current setup and have embarked on the installation of project Skunkwerks-EM9D. Albiet it is not much now, I was able to remove the OEM exhaust so I can build a jig to maintain the path, angles and planes.

The plan:

1. Clean remaining crud from block
2. Change motor mounts while I have easy access
3. Change motor shocks for reasons in number 2
4. Change timing chain and tensioner
5. Change flex discs

Once the above items are completed I will install the S/C so I can finish the intake portion of that sub project.

After completion of the above, I should have my pump...it is almost done, then the fun will begin.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - George3soccer - 05-03-2010

Fantastic job.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 05-04-2010

Cant wait to see the end results!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 05-05-2010

Question about your intercooler. Do you think, that air to water will cool the air charge enough? How many sfm is your cooler and how big will be the heat exchanger?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-05-2010

(05-05-2010, 01:00 AM)supercharged3.0 Question about your intercooler. Do you think, that air to water will cool the air charge enough? How many sfm is your cooler and how big will be the heat exchanger?

I was running this IC previously and never saw above 950*F no matter how I drove it. Removing the IC and driving for about 2 mos. I have not been north of 1050*F, albiet I have my MW vs. M pump installed, so less fuel.

There is a thread on my A/W IC build up if you want to see pics., do a search on my name.

The heat exchanger is an old Saab IC that was converted. I also have a reservoir tank and a Mercedes water pump. The entire system has about a two gallon capacity and uses a petroleum based coolant media.

If I was road racing I might be concerned about a larger or even adding an additional A/A IC, but it will not be boosted all the time. At idle the SC will be bypassed and at boost levels above 10 psi. I may incorporate a switch to run the SC and turbo as a compound, but it was not deisgned as such.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 05-05-2010

That's good. The reason i was asking, i want to do the same thing. I want to take out my air intercooler and put a air to water one. I want to cut my intake and weld the cooler like you did. At that point, i will not run these long pipes anymore.
Also, planning to get a big heat exchanger and run 20+psi. You think, intercooler of that size you have, will handle 20+psi?
What size is yours? How many cfm?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-07-2010

[/align][align=left]
(05-05-2010, 11:36 PM)supercharged3.0 ...Also, planning to get a big heat exchanger and run 20+psi. You think, intercooler of that size you have, will handle 20+psi?
What size is yours? How many cfm?

I was peaking around 24 psi for short periods, I don't think 20 psi will be a problem. I believe a plastic tank IC is good for about 40 psi before it blows apart. I have no idea what the CFM rating is, dimensionally it is 4" x 5" x 14" (heat exchanger portion)
I have been working on my exhaust and I am about 80% complete. I did not want to finish the muffler transiton piece until it is installed on the car - it just needs to be done that way so it fits right. Here are a few pics, the material is 304 SS. I also modified the OEM bracket that secures the pipe to the transmission.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 05-08-2010

What size Magnafow are you using?

I could only imagine how nice it is going to sound.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-08-2010

(05-08-2010, 12:18 AM)DeliveryValve What size Magnafow are you using?

I could only imagine how nice it is going to sound.

You my friend can actually hear it once it is completeBig Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 05-20-2010

any updates?
BTW i am almost done. Here are some pics
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/supercharged_2008/Roof%20mounting%20TEST/SC%20top%20project/DSC00661.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/supercharged_2008/Roof%20mounting%20TEST/SC%20top%20project/DSC00652.jpg

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-20-2010

Right now I am just waiting on my uber pump. I will be working on the car this weekend getting all of the parts off the engine that I will not be using, i.e. power steering pump, a/c pump, etc.

Once this is complete then cleaning and degreasing will commence.

I also need to change timing chain and flex discs.

Other than that, I am working on my 5-speed conversion - taking measurements, researching and designing in CAD.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 05-20-2010

Take lots of pic of the install/car!!! very very nicely done so far!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 05-21-2010

(05-20-2010, 09:17 PM)Rudolf_Diesel ...

I got a chain crimper you can borrow if you need it.

Other than that, I am working on my 5-speed conversion - taking measurements, researching and designing in CAD.

Good thing you got that extra intermediate plate... Or are you thinking of making a whole new plate with a different pattern to bolt on to the 5 speed bell housing?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-21-2010

(05-21-2010, 11:21 AM)DeliveryValve

I got a chain crimper you can borrow if you need it.

Good thing you got that extra intermediate plate... Or are you thinking of making a whole new plate with a different pattern to bolt on to the 5 speed bell housing?

The chain tool would be great, I cannot get enough off of the web to reverse engineer one.

The plate came in handy! I have drawn it up in CAD and dropnosky is sending me a bell housing. I am going to see how the T5 will bolt up to the bell housing and go from there. If that doesn't work then it will be a new plate to mate to a Ford style bell housing.

I found a guy in Oxnard that build the TKO500 to handle 750 lb/ft (MMR) and that keeps the gear ratios as close to stock as possible and a .68 OD

All I have to do is sort out the clutch and flywheel. Jeemu said he used a BMW pressure plate, MB clutch and Tremec trans. He welded a bell housing to an adapter plate.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-22-2010

Well I started to tear down everything and get it clean so I can start getting the motor ready and the S/C installed to finish the project. My son is getting involved in the project and it is really cool that he is interested - he is 14 and sometimes has other things on his mind. Today was a good father and son bonding time. Here are a few pics from todays work:

Pic of engine before cleaning

Front of engine before cleaning

Side of engine before cleaning

Starter motor before cleaning

Top view of MW pump

Right side after some cleaning with orange based cleaner

Another view of right side after cleaning and view of sub frame

My son removing fan bolts

Power steering pump and bracket removal

View of A/C compressor

Front of engine with radiator removed

another view of front of engine

View of left side of oil pan

Front view of engine after cleaning

There is still more cleaning to be done, I want it as clean as I can get it. The orange oil based cleaner from Greased Lightning seems to work the best and using an electric power washer helps also.

More to come tomorrow....

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 05-22-2010

50/50 diluted purple power/water works great! I used it to get diesel oil off my shop floor and on my engine before power washing

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 05-22-2010

(05-22-2010, 07:28 PM)willbhere4u 50/50 diluted purple power/water works great! I used it to get diesel oil off my shop floor and on my engine before power washing
I 2nd Purple Power. Got to be careful with aluminum though, it can discolor or stain it.

(05-22-2010, 07:56 PM)DeliveryValve
(05-22-2010, 07:28 PM)willbhere4u 50/50 diluted purple power/water works great! I used it to get diesel oil off my shop floor and on my engine before power washing
I 2nd Purple Power. Got to be careful with aluminum though, it can discolor or stain it.

That is the reason I chose not to use it. The orange based, which uses D-limonine seems to work great on soot too. I appreciate the feed back.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - MTUPower - 05-22-2010

(04-28-2010, 09:29 PM)Rudolf_Diesel I was running the M-pump for about 9 months and no form of an ALDA, but it was only putting out twice as much fuel as stock settings give or take a few cc's
Just your M pump? How do you know this?

(05-22-2010, 08:54 PM)MTUPower
(04-28-2010, 09:29 PM)Rudolf_Diesel I was running the M-pump for about 9 months and no form of an ALDA, but it was only putting out twice as much fuel as stock settings give or take a few cc's
Just your M pump? How do you know this?

My M-pump was verified on the test bench prior to having the 7.5 mm elements installed to check as a bench mark.

Right now the M-pump is being adjusted so it is a direct plug and play. The videos with the pump on the test vehicle have it only putting out 2/3 of full fuel. It is set with a stop so there is still more fuel avaialble.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - E300TSC - 05-23-2010

You're making some great progress! Kind of keeps me inspired to keep working on mine...

It's great you're son is getting involved. Too many kids spend all their free time indoors, not getting out and working with their hands and creating something.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 05-23-2010

Removed the IP, fuel filter, oil lines, and power steering lines today. I did some more cleaning and I think I am at the point of completion - there are a few stubborn spots, but I can live with that. Anyone want to buy some oil cooler lines, power steering pump or other parts?Big Grin

Here are a few more pics:

Tomorrow I will dry fit the S/C and see what it really looks like in the engine compartment.