STD
New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D (/showthread.php?tid=858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-02-2010

It really doesn't but sometimes the track gets bumped down on the priority list.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 10-02-2010

(09-30-2010, 12:48 PM)turbodeezl Do you have a link that shows what this tester looks like?

I moved the discussion so we will stop hijacking his thread: http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/compression-and-leak-down-testing-t-1805.html

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-02-2010

(10-02-2010, 01:57 AM)400Eric How does building a gate make the car faster? I mean really, let's get our priorities straight!
Regards, Eric

Got to make some $$$ so I can buy more parts!

I have been driving around and all seems pretty well. I just want to see if I can get a little more out of it so I am tossing around the idea of a larger turbo because I still have some black smoke on the top end.

The other day I was playing around and I had the S/C completely bypassed and was trying to spool the trubo - no luck at all. The S/C makes my current combo possible and it should make a larger trubo feasable as well.

I have been looking around and I found an HX40 that meets all the criteria I need as far as phyiscal dimensions and air flow. Looking at the compressor map I should be right in the middle of the islands with a pressure ratio of 3.00 and 44 lbs/hr.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - E300TSC - 10-02-2010

How many blades on the compressor of that HX 40?

(10-02-2010, 09:19 PM)E300TSC How many blades on the compressor of that HX 40?

8 blades

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - E300TSC - 10-03-2010

OK, when I was researching mine, I found that there were 6, 7 and 8 with unique maps for each. Didn't know if that info would help you.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-03-2010

(10-03-2010, 09:23 AM)E300TSC OK, when I was researching mine, I found that there were 6, 7 and 8 with unique maps for each. Didn't know if that info would help you.

Thanks for the info, I have not committed to purchasing yet...I will do some more research on the maps.
I found the maps, the 8 blade flows the least of them, but if I lower my original requirements (I had max boost at 30 psi) it now needs a 2.38 pressure ratio and 35 lbs/hr....I fall in the middle of the map and that is a better. From what I read, I can change the wheels and change the flow characteristics.

The price is right and if it doesn't work I may use it for another project...Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 10-03-2010

(10-03-2010, 09:31 AM)Rudolf_Diesel it now needs a 2.38 pressure ratio and 35 lbs/hr....I fall in the middle of the map and that is a better.

Thats at absolute max airflow, how about the rest of the range? Even my little 2256 flows enough to support my 31lp/min @ 2.34.

(10-03-2010, 10:21 AM)ForcedInduction
(10-03-2010, 09:31 AM)Rudolf_Diesel it now needs a 2.38 pressure ratio and 35 lbs/hr....I fall in the middle of the map and that is a better.

Thats at absolute max airflow, how about the rest of the range? Even my little 2256 flows enough to support my 31lp/min @ 2.34.

Looking at all the points and not posting every single one, it seems to fit the need.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-03-2010

So Rudolf, what is the fastest this car has done so far?
Any gnarly burnouts?Big Grin
Have you killed any civics on the fwy yet?Tongue

(10-03-2010, 12:55 PM)garage So Rudolf, what is the fastest this car has done so far?
On the track or freeway? I am going to Fontana on th 30th of October and she should do a lot better than the last time. As far as the freeway, I had it up to 110...

(10-03-2010, 12:55 PM)garage Any gnarly burnouts?Big Grin

I have a done a few at the track, but I get a bit of wheel hop. I might go with a Rancho adjustable shock to cure that problem. I did a couple of little ones on the street, but that is not good on the flex discs so I keep it to a minimum.

(10-03-2010, 12:55 PM)garage Have you killed any civics on the fwy yet?Tongue

I haven't really had anyone try to race me, I get a few people try to get a head of me as I am trying to get on the freeway and put the hammer down and leave in the dust.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-03-2010

Yeah i was talking about the fwyBig Grin was 110 maxed out or was there still power to be given? Im sure it wasnt i did 115 in a w116...going downhill though hahah
How high were your RPMs at 110?
The 30th is going on my calender and i will be there this time to watch for sure! Cant wait!

I get pretty bad wheel hop when i pop the clutch on the 240.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-04-2010

(10-03-2010, 02:49 PM)garage I get pretty bad wheel hop when i pop the clutch on the 240.

Bahahahahah!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-04-2010

HAHAHAHAH yeah!
I needa make more of those videos once i get my new clutch!!
She sounds even sweeter now that i got a exhaust for her.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-09-2010

DYNO DAY

Here is a link for those that may be interested.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=215621

I will be going to see what kind of power I am putting to the ground.

It is on October 23, 2010 (Saturday) and the cost is $50.00 for 3 runs.

The following weekend I will be out at Fontana for the 1/4 mile drags

ALL THOSE THAT READ THIS ARE INVITED TO ATTEND(Captain)

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-09-2010

OHH, I REALLY want to attend this.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 10-09-2010

If it weren't a 17 hour drive I'd be there.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-09-2010

Awe, thanks buddy. The bold font does help when skimming along ... I should be able to make it...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 10-09-2010

(10-09-2010, 01:04 PM)ForcedInduction If it weren't a 17 hour drive I'd be there.

whats a few states and 20 cups of coffee? Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 10-09-2010

Aw man, I was scheduled to be in LA that weekend. But plans changed, got to be near home now.

May the power and torque be with you!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-09-2010

Thanks for posting that Rudolph!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-10-2010

No problem Eric...I got a set of tires for the 1/4 mile, thanks to my son and Falken Tires. We were at the Formula Drift Competition at Irwindale - and they change their tires after every round. They give them away for free and my son scored a matching set of 205/50R15s. I went to the junk yard today and found a set of 15" rims from a 126, I was trying to find a set of 15" bundts, but I didn't have any luck.

I cleaned the brake dust off, what a pain in the ass! Once I get the tire mounted I will paint the rims satin black to match my bundts. These tires feel a little softer than regular tires, they maybe a special compund for drifting - that makes it good thing for the track. They will be 8.8% smaller than my current tires and will essentially give me a lower rear end for lauching = a good thing!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-10-2010

(10-10-2010, 04:12 PM)Rudolf_Diesel No problem Eric...I got a set of tires for the 1/4 mile, thanks to my son and Falken Tires. We were at the Formula Drift Competition at Irwindale - and they change their tires after every round. They give them away for free and my son scored a matching set of 205/50R15s. I went to the junk yard today and found a set of 15" rims from a 126, I was trying to find a set of 15" bundts, but I didn't have any luck.

I cleaned the brake dust off, what a pain in the ass! Once I get the tire mounted I will paint the rims satin black to match my bundts. These tires feel a little softer than regular tires, they maybe a special compund for drifting - that makes it good thing for the track. They will be 8.8% smaller than my current tires and will essentially give me a lower rear end for lauching = a good thing!

VERY COOL, your son just asked for them? or is it like a first come and grab first serve kinda deal?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-10-2010

All of the racers that were sponsored by the big tire companies had pallets of tires, yes pallets of tires and the old ones were piled up and marked "Free". So if you wanted them then they were up for grabs...He asked if he could look for some smaller tires and they said go ahead. I think it just makes it easier for them to get rid of the tires and not have to haul or dispose of.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 10-10-2010

Yep, it takes the liability of disposal off their hands and makes everyone else happy as a bonus.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-10-2010

Dang very cool, im definetly gonna try to hit up some drifting comps now!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - J-Sauce - 10-12-2010

I can't wait to see how those tires work out for you Rudolph. I went and picked up a set of Nitto NT555R's from craigslist for $100! The guy I got them from has a camaro and doesn't drag any more, just track races. He actually told me that he tried a set of track tires at the dragstrip and found out the hard way that they do not work very well. Something about having a very stiff sidewall that did not allow for the flexing effect you'd get with a drag radial or slick setup. I have not tried first hand, so cannot burst any bubbles yet. Besides, possibly there is a difference between track compound and drifting compounds.

In any respect, I am sure if they are as soft as you say, they will hook up better than street tires. Plus, you can't argue with FREE! I may try a set too once my nittos wear out.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-15-2010

I am working on my Water Injection system and should have it installed this weekend. I originally had it installed on my truck, but I don't really use it so I figured I would swap it over to the Benz.

I have a Flojet pump that needed a new check valve assembly - $25.00 from a local distributor. The valves were warped and it didn't pump a squirt. It works fine now and puts out 140 psi.

I am going to install one nozzle in the intake, after the IC and facing toward the rear of the engine. This should distribute the atomized mix very well.

I am going to use a M14 thead instead if the M16 in the sketch, this will allow me to easily change the nozzle size if I need to.

A few pics of the players and more to follow after installation.

Quick sketch of nozzle assembly

Finished assembly

20 psi fixed pressure switch

12VDC solenoid valve

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 10-15-2010

How often/quickly is your car in the 20psi range? I would think 15-18 psi would help it come on a bit sooner

(10-15-2010, 10:27 AM)willbhere4u How often/quickly is your car in the 20psi range? I would think 15-18 psi would help it come on a bit sooner

If I floor it and at max fuel on pump, then I will be at 20+ in less than 2 secs - I mainly want it for high boost - drag racing. The way I drive, it is in that area quite a bit.Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - George3soccer - 10-15-2010

Looks great there rudolf.

Quick question, the brass threaded part, is that a machined part of is that assembly a injector. I am not sure what to see that is different?

That's cool! I was curious how much boost you got and how soon it would come on!

I was thinking you could use an adjustable hobbs switch so you can adjust the pressure at witch it comes on

(10-15-2010, 11:02 AM)George3soccer Looks great there rudolf.

Quick question, the brass threaded part, is that a machined part of is that assembly a injector. I am not sure what to see that is different?

The brass piece is was an extra long brass bushing, I think it originally came with a gauge installation kit. I was going to make one, but I only had steel and did not want to worry about corrosion in the injector. I tapped the nozzle end and screwed in a nozzle from McMaster Carr (M2 - 2gph @ 100 psi) The reason it needs to be long is becuase the nozzle has a spring and inner nozzle that is just as long as the exposed portion of the nozzle - it also has a fine mesh filter to prevent clogging.

The other reason for using these nozzles is the fact that I already have them and I am trying to keep the cost down. I machined the original 3/8" NPT threads so I could thread it to M14 X 1.xx and use a crush washer to seal it.

(10-15-2010, 12:52 PM)willbhere4u That's cool! I was curious how much boost you got and how soon it would come on!

I was thinking you could use an adjustable hobbs switch so you can adjust the pressure at witch it comes on

I have a Hobbs switch for my bypass system and they are the best. The only reason I am not using one now is to keep the cost down to as close to zero as possible; I already have all this stuff from old projects. Worse case scenario I will by a switch from Summit for $29...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-15-2010

Freakin awesome Rudolf! Can't wait to see how this works for yeah.

Ditto! more videos please!!! maybe some street driving and 0-60 videos!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-16-2010

I'm confused. On a gasser we use water injection to prevent detonation but on a diesel detonation is a way of life. It's how the thing runs. So what is the benefit on a diesel? The water, which is incombustible, is occupying space that could be occupied by power producing combustible stuff like oxygen and fuel. You already have an intercooler cooling the incoming air so the water cant be for cooling the intake charge either. Please forgive the fact that I am probably missing something obvious. I'm just asking to learn and understand, not to criticize.
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 10-16-2010

(10-16-2010, 02:16 AM)400Eric So what is the benefit on a diesel?
Additional cooling of the charge air, cleaning the cylinders and additional fuel.

Quote:so the water cant be for cooling the intake charge either.
Actually it is. Even the best intercoolers are only 70% efficient. That means that at 20psi boost the air temp out of the intercooler will still be at least 150*f on a 70*f day. Properly atomized water/methanol will have no problem evaporating and absorbing more heat in that environment.

Rudolf, 2gph is pretty low. 3gph only produced 2whp and 6.6gph made 6whp on my cars. The 1gph 1st stage on my 300D is hardly noticeable even at low speeds.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-16-2010

From what I have read, it is pretty low. I have 6 nozzles to play with: M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and a monster M15 (doubt I will use it). I will probably go bigger - just seems like a lot of water when you are bench testing and it is going everywhereBig Grin, but at 4000/min it is probably not an issue.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 10-16-2010

You need to bring some different nozzles to your Dyno day!!! Please get some good dyno videos they are the best! You can here the engine under full power all the way to the limit!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-16-2010

Speaking of the dyno day, here is the rest of the info:
Shop is Rage performance in Upland, CA just off the 10 freeway. 8455 Loma Pl. Upland Ca. 91786
Dynojet brand Dyno.
A/F ratios included.

We still would like to get a few more people committed to come so we can have a "cushion" just in case a few people bunk out on us. Who here besides myself, Rudolph, and J-sauce intends to participate? Less than a week to go!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-17-2010

I will attend if I can get my broken ass up there...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-17-2010

"Attend" as in participate? I have to ask cause we are trying to be sure we have more than enough people so we will get the promised $50 a car rate instead of the normal rate.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 10-17-2010

Unless ol betsy breaks down i will be there to watch!
If work picks up and i have some extra cashmoney this week i would love to run my car for sure!

Capt, if you need a ride i got you dude.

And Willbe, i plan on taking some video!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 10-17-2010

sweet!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-17-2010

Im in the same boat as Garage. I quite my job last friday to start a new job on mondaybut in the meantime broke me leg. So im kinda fuct at the moment. But if I make it up there, I will run my car. How many cars are needed?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-17-2010

(10-17-2010, 12:22 PM)Captain America ...I quite my job last friday to start a new job on monday...

Somewhere closer to home? That would make your drive easier...

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-17-2010

Captain, we need 10 people but they will let us slide even if we only have about 8 which is about where we are at right now when we include the guys from the other sites (mostly Volvos and Benzes). The trouble we fear we may have is if 1 or 2 guys who are committed to come and participate don't. That's why we want to have a "cushion" of extra people. It is for that very reason that J-sauce is thinking to have his brother bring his (J-sauce's) BMW too so he can dyno it as well to keep the total cars participating at a safe level. The problem is that still might not be enough if too many people don't show up. We are just hoping people keep their word, especially since we are doing this with the honor system in that we are not requiring deposits up front.

Hey Rudolph, maybe you should bring your Powerstroke and dyno it too!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ConnClark - 10-18-2010

(10-03-2010, 09:31 AM)Rudolf_Diesel Thanks for the info, I have not committed to purchasing yet...I will do some more research on the maps.

A thought on your plans for a new turbo. Do you think with more ducting and valves it would be possible to use your blower in parallel with your turbo? I know efficiency of it will drop off at the top end but if you were to cram more air in parallel with the compressor both sources would be picked up by the turbine. This would result in more air being pumped through the turbo's compressor.

Also another thought since your running more than 20psi at times. How much boost can you flow before blowing your head or throwing a rod? I guess you better check the torque on your head bolts and make sure they are on the high side of the spec Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - meareweird - 10-22-2010

Bumping!!