STD
New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D (/showthread.php?tid=858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 09-19-2010

(09-18-2010, 10:01 PM)Captain America
(09-18-2010, 09:14 PM)willbhere4u Delivery Valve where did you get that pic a w123 with a hood prop is that from the factory?

Oh ya nice looking girl as well!

I'm guessing the same place these come from..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1503902-girls-w123-photos-14.html

Yep, I got the pic in benzworld. I don't know if the prop rod is factory, I wondered myself.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - E300TSC - 09-19-2010

The tree generally doesn't deliver a red light a red light if you LB3A. What I saw was you leave before him and then he got the LB3A which leads me to believe that he was handicapped by a second or two but he got antsy and left when he saw you go.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - DeliveryValve - 09-19-2010

(09-19-2010, 05:13 PM)Rudolf_Diesel
(09-19-2010, 05:07 PM)ForcedInduction
(09-19-2010, 04:26 PM)E300TSC Was the 240SX guy handicapped? He got the LB3A but you clearly left before him... Cornfused...

Looks like he got red.
I am not sure what happened, I am assuming "LB3A" means Left Before 3rd Amber, is that correct?

I would so. As Forced stated, "he got red".

Good job again Rudolf, sounds like it's coming along nicely.

(09-19-2010, 05:35 PM)E300TSC The tree generally doesn't deliver a red light a red light if you LB3A. What I saw was you leave before him and then he got the LB3A which leads me to believe that he was handicapped by a second or two but he got antsy and left when he saw you go.

Not that I know the rules, but interesting info.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-19-2010

I did some experimentation today and I confirmed my suspicions - the S/C above 15 psi is actually becoming a restriction for feeding the turbo. I have been running all of my runs without using the bypass valves and been hitting a "wall". Today I disconnected the WOT switch so I could see if it made a difference and boy did it! The boost would level out out at 16 psi or so and the power would be flat with the S/C in the circuit, without the S/C after 14 psi it runs liked a striped ape! the boost climbs to about 25 in a heart beat and the power just keeps going!!! I wanted to try it yesterday, but wanted to see if I could improve on the times with the same setup.

This Thursday I will be at Irwindale to do some testing and see if it really makes a difference, I suspect it will.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Telecommbrkr - 09-19-2010

I have watched all of your runs on youtube, and thought that you launched with such power then about a third of the way down the acceleration slows down. Your bypass discovery explains everything.

My guess is that you'll be puttin down 100mph+ passes now! Tongue

Been following the thread from the beginning and I've got to say.. #1 job Rudolf!!! Cool

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-20-2010

Sorry I haven't posted here for a while but I've still been here lurking and learning though.

It was a pleasure meeting you Rudolph and please thank your boys again for operating my video camera for me on my runs! Major props to them for the fine job they did recording the videos of our runs! I hate to ask but could you please post my last run of the night that you guys have on your camera over on my thread on MercedesShop? It would be cool to have both versions. Plus, I still haven't figured out how to do it from my camera. I'm kinda slow with this kind of stuff. I can do still pictures from my other camera though so there is always hope!

I have to ask though, how come the other guy here from Riverside didn't go to the track with us?

If anybody here has any interest in my adventures with my gasser Benz, you can read about it here at post number 158: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=2548031#post2548031

As for those 500Es Rudolph, I'd be happy to have either one, even the not as clean one! It's faster!

And sorry I lobbied against you messing with the bypass, it's just that I was scared that you'd end up losing more than you would gain. Shows you how much I know. Now I feel like it is my fault that you didn't try it.
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - gsxr - 09-20-2010

Rudolf, what is your 7.5mm Floyd pump set at for fuel delivery? Have you had it on the dyno yet? Also, was the car smoking at all during your runs? If you were short on air supply but pushing a lot of fuel, it'd smoke, right...?

Smile
(09-19-2010, 04:26 PM)E300TSC Was the 240SX guy handicapped? He got the LB3A but you clearly left before him... Cornfused...
The other car rolled into the beams too far. Could have pulled through the brakes when power braking, or let the clutch get too close to engagement if it was a manual tranny. So he got the LB3A, then actually left a second or two later. That's how he got the LB3A but launched after the 300SD.

Cool

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-20-2010

(09-20-2010, 09:28 AM)gsxr Rudolf, what is your 7.5mm Floyd pump set at for fuel delivery? Have you had it on the dyno yet? Also, was the car smoking at all during your runs? If you were short on air supply but pushing a lot of fuel, it'd smoke, right...?

I am at maximum fuel and getting a little bit of smoke at full throttle, if you look closely at the video you can see a trail of smoke, there is definitely a difference though from one scenario than the other.

I will be on the dyno in a few weeks and will try both ways to see what is better and maybe straight turbo just to see what it will do.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-20-2010

(09-20-2010, 05:45 AM)400Eric Sorry I haven't posted here for a while but I've still been here lurking and learning though.

It was a pleasure meeting you Rudolph and please thank your boys again for operating my video camera for me on my runs! Major props to them for the fine job they did recording the videos of our runs! I hate to ask but could you please post my last run of the night that you guys have on your camera over on my thread on MercedesShop? It would be cool to have both versions. Plus, I still haven't figured out how to do it from my camera. I'm kinda slow with this kind of stuff. I can do still pictures from my other camera though so there is always hope!

I have to ask though, how come the other guy here from Riverside didn't go to the track with us?

If anybody here has any interest in my adventures with my gasser Benz, you can read about it here at post number 158: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=2548031#post2548031

As for those 500Es Rudolph, I'd be happy to have either one, even the not as clean one!

And sorry I lobbied against you messing with the bypass, it's just that I was scared that you'd end up losing more than you would gain. Shows you how much I know. Now I feel like it is my fault that you didn't try it.
Regards, Eric

I didnt get invited!!!! Tear Sad Tear. Heart broken waaaaaaaaaa!

haha
Oh, And some dude tried to race me not this past weekend but the weekend before (9-11, 9-12) by my house in riverside. He was in a 500E? IDK, it was a bloody V8 and it sounded awesome! He was about to turn left at a light and I revved on him (I only have a down pipe at the moment so she gets heard) and he darted back out and chased me down and fuct my shit up. I couldn't even do anything! My full throttle was his like quarter throttle and he rolled the window down and I think he realized I was diesel and gave me a thumbs up hahaha

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-20-2010

(09-20-2010, 03:11 PM)Captain America I didnt get invited!!!! Tear Sad Tear. Heart broken waaaaaaaaaa!

I posted I was going = open invitationBig Grin

I will be at Irwindale this Thrusday - You are Hereby Cordially Invited to Join in the Festivites.....Tongue

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 09-20-2010

(09-20-2010, 03:11 PM)Captain America
(09-20-2010, 05:45 AM)400Eric Sorry I haven't posted here for a while but I've still been here lurking and learning though.

As for those 500Es Rudolph, I'd be happy to have either one, even the not as clean one!

Regards, Eric

I didnt get invited!!!! Tear Sad Tear. Heart broken waaaaaaaaaa!

haha
Oh, And some dude tried to race me not this past weekend but the weekend before (9-11, 9-12) by my house in riverside. He was in a 500E? IDK, it was a bloody V8 and it sounded awesome! He was about to turn left at a light and I revved on him (I only have a down pipe at the moment so she gets heard) and he darted back out and chased me down and fuct my shit up. I couldn't even do anything! My full throttle was his like quarter throttle and he rolled the window down and I think he realized I was diesel and gave me a thumbs up hahaha

Sounds like YOU TRIED to race some dudeTongue

Haha i have hundreds of these stories with the ricers in the area. I cant wait till i have enough power to take out a civic..HAHASadAngry

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-20-2010

Yeah I guess I did start it and the guy did have some extra ponies under the hood, that's for sure!
(09-20-2010, 04:09 PM)Rudolf_Diesel
(09-20-2010, 03:11 PM)Captain America I didnt get invited!!!! Tear Sad Tear. Heart broken waaaaaaaaaa!

I posted I was going = open invitationBig Grin

I will be at Irwindale this Thrusday - You are Hereby Cordially Invited to Join in the Festivites.....Tongue

Guess I missed that post Blush

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-21-2010

haha

I'm trying to copy/paste a picture of the likely suspect but it isn't working so I'll just link you to a page where the picture is: http://www.500ecstasy.com/forums//showthread.php?6323-Let-s-have-a-test-and-tune-day-in-So.-Cal./page22 go down to posts 317 and/or 320. Was he a young looking guy with dark hair? I know it wasn't me cause I've only been driving my 89 300E cause my 400E was laid up while I did a few things to it and the E420 still just plain isn't ready for regular use yet.

I used to post the Fontana track dates on this site but there was so little interest that I gave up. Glad that seems to be changing! You Are All Hereby Cordially Invited to Join US on October 30th! (Please be aware of the fact that this next date is back on the old 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM format.) If a few stockish diesels were committed to coming on a future date and if I have finally already gotten a 14.20 out of my 400E, I'll bring my stockish Volvo diesel to race!

Rudolph, please tell me it's not my fault that you didn't try the S/C bypass on Sat. so I can sleep at night!
Also, please tell us when your compound blown kits are gonna hit the market!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-21-2010

(09-21-2010, 03:15 AM)400Eric Rudolph, please tell me it's not my fault that you didn't try the S/C bypass on Sat. so I can sleep at night!
Also, please tell us when your compound blown kits are gonna hit the market!
Regards, Eric

Not to worry, I was going to run straight turbo and bypass the S/C, so it may not have turned out well...but I did enough runs to see that I am pretty consistent as far as the runs, I need to work on getting my reaction times the same.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 09-21-2010

Do you one of those fiber optic cameras? I would love to see how the rubber flex discs react to the full power release on your runs. It would be interesting to see how much the torque flexes them before they transfer power!

Kind of like watching the rear tires on a funny car ripple on acceleration.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-21-2010

(09-21-2010, 03:15 AM)400Eric

haha

I'm trying to copy/paste a picture of the likely suspect but it isn't working so I'll just link you to a page where the picture is: http://www.500ecstasy.com/forums//showthread.php?6323-Let-s-have-a-test-and-tune-day-in-So.-Cal./page22 go down to posts 317 and/or 320. Was he a young looking guy with dark hair? I know it wasn't me cause I've only been driving my 89 300E cause my 400E was laid up while I did a few things to it and the E420 still just plain isn't ready for regular use yet.

I bet that was the guy!!! I would say kinda younger (older than I) with dark hair.... think he had a hat on? I don't remember. It was definitely that same gray color but I didn't notice the wheels because I was too busy loving that V8 exhaust!

Eric, If you talk to him, ask him for me? I saw him when he was going south on Trautwein Rd. and then I followed him as he turned to go West on Van Buren and I revved on him when he was going to turn south on Wood Rd. road... thats when he chased me down... Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rudolf, I dunno if I will be able to make it this Thursday, but I will try

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-22-2010

I've left him a post, we'll see if it's him.
If it is him, maybe you should bring the Sprint to the next track day and re-run him!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-22-2010

(09-22-2010, 04:17 AM)400Eric I've left him a post, we'll see if it's him.
If it is him, maybe you should bring the Sprint to the next track day and re-run him!
Regards, Eric

haha, There we go! a rolling start... off the line she just burns rubber!

When the rear end gets rebuilt I'd be up for it... The pinion bearings couldn't handle the boost lol

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - J-Sauce - 09-23-2010

That was me! Man your diesel sounded mean when you revved. I'd be happy to give u a ride sometime if you want.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-23-2010

Sorry I'm jacking your thread Rudolf, Just for a sec though!

(09-23-2010, 12:38 AM)J-Sauce That was me! Man your diesel sounded mean when you revved. I'd be happy to give u a ride sometime if you want.

Really!?! This is awesome! See some random dude on the street (you) and now have the chance to meet him, that's crazy. I was gonna turn around and follow back to wood but I was like, "I'll never see that car again Sad" Yeah ,,, the tank has more bark than bite, that's for sure Big Grin. I would love to check out your Benz, or at least find out what you've done to it, That thing sounds freaking awesome! A ride would be icing on the cake Cool

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - J-Sauce - 09-23-2010

Sure thing man. I have a bad tire right now, but I'll be ordering a new one tonight. So maybe this weekend. Eric, keep your mouth shut about the mods! He can see in person! :-)

feel free to shoot me a text. (951)750-2507

-Justin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-23-2010

Hey Captain, didn't that Sprint come from the factory with a 12 bolt? Don't tell me a 12 bolt isn't up to a little boost?!?

Off the line, spinning is all the Sauceman's car does too! Should be a good race!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-23-2010

Yes it has the peg leg 12 bolt under it... Have you seen the video in my signature? Those are just a few of the retarded burnouts she's done, plus drifting (left hand drifts only). Idk man she just started howling on me when I would coast :-( she's getting a true track soon plus a new 450 horse small block ;-)

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-24-2010

I went to the track last night, it is getting better and I need to do some fine tuning as far as when I wnat the bypass valve to open to get the best ET and MPH runs. I think it actually does better in the 1/4 as the turbo has a little more time to build power.

My best time for the night was 9.959 @ 69.17 MPH, I raced against a Ford Lightning and lost, but my times are what I am concerned about.

I also ran against a Nissan 240SX and My time was: 10.136 @ 69.26 - he ran 10.722 @ 62.91 - He was quite surprisedBig Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - gsxr - 09-24-2010

I assume this was an eighth-mile track...?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-24-2010

Yeah! much better than 10.2-3!!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-24-2010

(09-24-2010, 09:18 AM)gsxr I assume this was an eighth-mile track...?

Yes, it is an 1/8th mile.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ConnClark - 09-24-2010

(09-24-2010, 08:33 AM)Rudolf_Diesel I also ran against a Nissan 240SX and My time was: 10.136 @ 69.26 - he ran 10.722 @ 62.91 - He was quite surprisedBig Grin

Earning you another kill flag
[Image: ja-lgflag.gif]

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 09-24-2010

(09-24-2010, 11:46 AM)ConnClark
(09-24-2010, 08:33 AM)Rudolf_Diesel I also ran against a Nissan 240SX and My time was: 10.136 @ 69.26 - he ran 10.722 @ 62.91 - He was quite surprisedBig Grin

Earning you another kill flag
[Image: ja-lgflag.gif]

I have lots of those! None with the Benz tho Undecided

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Deni - 09-24-2010

This is going to get me castrated by FI but anyways:

I'd suggest you try LPG (propane) route to spool up that turbo.

You don't need a lot, just the tiniest bit and it DOES help a lot with the turbo.

I see it with my car. With LPG turned off, the turbo is very lethargic (during daily driving). With LPG on it's completely another car.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 09-24-2010

(09-24-2010, 03:51 PM)Deni I see it with my car. With LPG turned off, the turbo is very lethargic (during daily driving). With LPG on it's completely another car.

Turning up the injection pump will have the exact same effect without the risk of destroying the engine or any additional cost.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Jtn190D - 09-24-2010

Doesn't he already have the fuel turned up?

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 09-24-2010

(09-24-2010, 06:34 PM)Jtn190D Doesn't he already have the fuel turned up?

Turn it up even more! Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - supercharged3.0 - 09-25-2010

Try to change the supercharger's pulley. The OEM one is too big, put some small one and that M90 will push 1-3 psi more air into the turbo, it might really help.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-25-2010

You are so hard core F.I.
That's one of the reasons why I love this site so much!
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-25-2010

I think I have enough fuel, the 7.5mm elements put out 400% more fuel than the 5.5mm elements.

Now it is a matter of tuning and finding the right balance. I will look into a smaller pulley, but before I do that I will have look at my reserach notes and see what I am driving the pulley at now vs. stock. The original configuration had a smaller crank pulley driving a jackshaft pulley arrangement that drove the S/C. IIRC, I am overdriving the pulley with my current design.

As much fun as it is to drag race I never intended to build a drag car. I do not want to add any propane or nitrous as tempting as it is to get more power. I want to see what I can do with more fuel and air for now. If anything, I may add some water/denatured alcohol injection, I just need to assemble some parts for that.

What I may end up doing is swapping in 3.46 R&P to get a quicker launch for the 1/8th mile, but before I do that I want to see how it does in the 1/4 with the bypass configuration.

I would like to race couple of 300SD, 300D or 240D's to see how much faster this vehicle is compared to theirs...Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Deni - 09-25-2010

What you could do is have 2 pressure switches:

1st switch will activate LPG at about 5psi

2nd switch will de-activate LPG at about 15-20psi

This way LPG is used only for brief periods of time and only to speed up the turbo.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - JB3 - 09-25-2010

(09-25-2010, 09:44 AM)Rudolf_Diesel I would like to race couple of 300SD, 300D or 240D's to see how much faster this vehicle is compared to theirs...Big Grin

For a 240, the answer to that question is "a lot". Smile
If I were racing you in mine, I think my first tactic would be to try and injure you outside the car, maybe drop something on your foot and break a few bones.

As a 240 owner, such a race would probably be embarrassing for all parties involved. I routinely "race" dump trucks and semi's as my foe of choice Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 09-25-2010

(09-25-2010, 09:44 AM)Rudolf_Diesel What I may end up doing is swapping in 3.46 R&P

You might not want to do that. A 3.46 will revv out your top speed to under 100mph. I'm considering swapping back to a 3.07 just because of that, last night a little damn Nissan was able to keep me from passing them just because I revved out.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 09-26-2010

Save the 3.46s for when you do the 5 spd swap.
Regards, Eric

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - garage - 09-26-2010

(09-25-2010, 09:44 AM)Rudolf_Diesel I think I have enough fuel, the 7.5mm elements put out 400% more fuel than the 5.5mm elements.

Now it is a matter of tuning and finding the right balance. I will look into a smaller pulley, but before I do that I will have look at my reserach notes and see what I am driving the pulley at now vs. stock. The original configuration had a smaller crank pulley driving a jackshaft pulley arrangement that drove the S/C. IIRC, I am overdriving the pulley with my current design.

As much fun as it is to drag race I never intended to build a drag car. I do not want to add any propane or nitrous as tempting as it is to get more power. I want to see what I can do with more fuel and air for now. If anything, I may add some water/denatured alcohol injection, I just need to assemble some parts for that.

What I may end up doing is swapping in 3.46 R&P to get a quicker launch for the 1/8th mile, but before I do that I want to see how it does in the 1/4 with the bypass configuration.

I would like to race couple of 300SD, 300D or 240D's to see how much faster this vehicle is compared to theirs...Big Grin

We have a w126 300SD, a w123 300D, and w123 240D at the house
I might be able to get all 3 to irwindale some thursday evening.
Im willing to take the embaressment!!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 09-26-2010

Ask forced how my 240d turbo did against his car it was like 21 sec 1/4 mile at 62mph???? I need more fuel its still to slow!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 09-26-2010

24.316@56.57mph 1/4 mile

Quote:I need more fuel its still to slow!
I think the quad axle cement pumper truck was slower. Big Grin

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 09-26-2010

I finally put in a thermostat and replaced the upper radiator hose! And now that its not overheating at speeds above +75mph / running to cool below -70mph it feel like it has more power!

When I did that run I had a 1/8 vacuum/boost leak and turbo injectors that where nailing like caterpillar! once I fixed the boost leak and put the stock injectors back in it ran a lot beater

I could probably break 60mph in the 1/4 maybe even get it down in the low 20's with luck on my side

I still have a bad nailing at idle some times depending on what temp the engine is running and absolutely no smoke!

My next goal is to lengthen the spring on the lift pump and switch my return /feed lie to see if that helps with power

When the engine is cold it has almost not enough power to move! once it runs for 15min it starts moving pretty good!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - ForcedInduction - 09-26-2010

Done compression yet? You can borrow mine, it tests at the glowplug hole.
I'm going to see about building a leakdown tester this week. Not a full on 0-100% type but enough to hear where airflow is going.

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - willbhere4u - 09-27-2010

I have the injector compression test adapter just no gauge yet! I may hit you up on that one of these weekends!

Sorry for hijacking Rudolf!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - turbodeezl - 09-30-2010

(09-26-2010, 09:27 PM)ForcedInduction Done compression yet? You can borrow mine, it tests at the glowplug hole.
I'm going to see about building a leakdown tester this week. Not a full on 0-100% type but enough to hear where airflow is going.

Do you have a link that shows what this tester looks like?

thanks!

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - SicNick - 10-01-2010

Another Thursday has come and gone! Hit the track again? Wink

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - Captain America - 10-01-2010

I believe the man was building a gate....

RE: New Project - Skunkwerks EM9D - 400Eric - 10-02-2010

How does building a gate make the car faster? I mean really, let's get our priorities straight!
Regards, Eric