STD
Oil cooler stripped threads! - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Oil cooler stripped threads! (/showthread.php?tid=7309)

Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-14-2016

Help!  I was doing a routine oil change and decided to replace my oil cooler hoses as they were leaking pretty bad.  I took the two fittings off the filter housing OK, and the lower fitting on the colder no problem.  The upper one though was harder to turn though and I found out why.  Gotta love it when previous owner cross threads an important connection.
[Image: IMG_20160714_222009928_zpsi8nqq4l2.jpg]

So my question, is the fitting in the cooler a serviceable fitting (IE replaceable) or do I need to source another cooler?  There are two 300Ds in my PaP weight the coolers in place.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - NZScott - 07-14-2016

I had this same problem recently,

I took the steel fitting out of the oil filter housing on my spare engine and got a machine shop to cut the cooler threads off and tap the hole 18x1.5.

Bingo fixed. My cooler still sitting in the back seat of my toyota since I picked it up though Wink

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-15-2016

At the threaded fitting in the cooler comes out easily? I was afraid to try and to mess it up worse. Guess I can get just the fitting from a junkyard part then.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-15-2016

Ok so I got lucky as hell, it looks worse than it is. I was able to chase the threads with a thread file, and clean the stripped material from the nut. Goes on hand tight easy now. Wondering if I should use antisieze or JB weld. I know the next time that cooler line comes off that fitting probably will need replacing.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - NZScott - 07-16-2016

Ah, well then. Hopefully it holds together...something like that wouldn't hurt

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - Greazzer - 07-16-2016

Just get the large sized tap and die kit from Norther Tool and run a die over it. That will clean up the threads.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-16-2016

Any chance you know the thread size and pitch? Might be something that I look at the next oil change. I put the car back together today, I used antisieze on all the threads. Everything went on tight and no leaks! Now to figure out my weird vibration issue when/after braking. Keeping an eye on it over the next several days, put ~50 miles on it today without issue.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - Austincarnut - 07-17-2016

(07-16-2016, 10:28 PM)i have  spares if you want another cooler EmJay Any chance you know the thread size and pitch?  Might be something that I look at the next oil change.  I put the car back together today, I used antisieze on all the threads.  Everything went on tight and no leaks!  Now to figure out my weird vibration issue when/after braking.  Keeping an eye on it over the next several days, put ~50 miles on it today without issue.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-17-2016

Might be interested for a later date, I believe that I'm set for now.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - MFSuper90 - 07-24-2016

I had aluminium barb fittings welded onto mine, works great. No way the hoses could come off

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-25-2016

Pleased to say that a few hundred miles later still good on the cooler.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - Greazzer - 07-26-2016

I don't remember, but I will try to figure it out once the heat wave breaks ... my garage is an oven right now.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 07-27-2016

Oh I understand man, it has been 90+ here as well for over 50 days. Glad I have AC in this one

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - martureo - 07-28-2016

It's a little late now, but in trying to find material to repair a 603 oil cooler I found this gem.

http://peachparts.com/shopforum/members/jdr01-albums-oil-cooler-nipple-rapair.html

(you'll need to login to see it)

The jist is that apparently Mercedes was aware of the threads stripping and created a solution. Cut off the threads and drill the hex portion of the oil cooler 21/32 for a M18 x 1.50mm tap. Tap the hole and use MBZ p/n 915013-013002 thread replacement adaptor.

I've called my dealer and the price is ~$5 each.

RE: Oil cooler stripped threads! - EmJay - 08-01-2016

Thanks!  This is awesome, and now on this forum we have an answer that is easily searched for.  Great find!