STD
Accident Damage - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Pics and Videos (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Accident Damage (/showthread.php?tid=701)

Accident Damage - JB3 - 09-18-2009

This is my 84 I owned last year. Accident was with a dodge ram full size.

Approximate speeds were I was rolling between 3 and 5 mph and he was going about 20-25.

Cause of accident- Cellular Phone based inattentiveness. He was dialing making the corner.

Location- Merge lane with yield sign, we were both shooting for the same gap, but I was paused at the yield sign, and he as accelerating to meet the gap without looking in front of him.

Result was that the Benz was totaled out, transmission was damaged from the drive shaft being pushed into it, still moved amazingly. Sold it for parts.
Dodge needed a front bumper buffing.

I had two passengers, Myself and front seat passenger had mild neck trauma because our heads were turned to look a traffic when he hit us, and the girl in the back had a pretty bad concussion, although she was pretty short, so her head hit the seat instead of open air.

Waste of a good car, strong low mileage engine, no rust, and I was taking it in for paint and body work literally the next week. Fortunately the parts went on to a wagon with a bad engine and other problems, so not a total loss.

RE: Accident Damage - winmutt - 09-18-2009

That'll buff right out.

RE: Accident Damage - ForcedInduction - 09-18-2009

Must have moved quite a bit if the slip joint couldn't take all the slack.

RE: Accident Damage - JB3 - 09-18-2009

yeah, does not look that bad from the outside, but thats what I figure happened. After the accident the engine would only start and run in neutral, when put into D, the engine was heavily loaded and would nearly die. It would make a ominous hollow noise. You could not start it in park for some reason. The diff was forced down, forward, and too the left, maybe is was the twist combined, but it did not sound healthy.

They gave me 2500 bucks for the car if I kept it. 2800 if they took the car. I kept it and sold it for 500 bucks later on, so I did not go deeper into the damage.

RE: Accident Damage - DeliveryValve - 09-18-2009

(09-18-2009, 10:26 AM)dropnosky ....
I had two passengers, Myself and front seat passenger had mild neck trauma because our heads were turned to look a traffic when he hit us, and the girl in the back had a pretty bad concussion, although she was pretty short, so her head hit the seat instead of open air. ..

That is why I think everybody should put in Rear Headrest for the taller folks in an event of an accident like yours.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=61002&stc=1&d=1226865139]

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=61003&stc=1&d=1226865149]

RE: Accident Damage - ForcedInduction - 09-18-2009

(09-18-2009, 05:39 PM)DeliveryValve That is why I think everybody should put in Rear Headrest for the taller folks in an event of an accident like yours.

I tried that with the middle row of my wagon. It looked cool, but I felt it blocked too much rear view.

RE: Accident Damage - willbhere4u - 09-18-2009

ouch!!! do all of the doors still open and close correctly?

I just worked on an 01 Jetta that took a mild hit on the drivers front corner and the door looked like a Lamborghini strait up!