STD
Manual gearbox options - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Manual gearbox options (/showthread.php?tid=6964)

Manual gearbox options - plasticbadger - 01-07-2016

Hi all, I'm a long term reader, first time poster. I'm planning a 4x4 OM605 project that will use a manual gearbox and a divorced LT230 transfer box. I'm looking for a good strong and compact manual box that is a relatively budget bolt on solution. The engine will be tuned to 250-300hp.

I've searched and read on here that the 6 speed merc manuals have some weaknesses. What about the 5 speeds? It's easy to get a 602 origin 5 speed from a sprinter here, like a 711605. However my favourite option at the moment is a Ssangyong Kyron 5 speed from a OM617 270 CDI, including flywheel and clutch. But I can't find any details of what that 'box is, it looks like a nice chunky box with integral bell housing, but I can't find number that means anything. Anyone know about the later Ssangyong boxes?

RE: Manual gearbox options - SurfRodder - 01-12-2016

Any trans that bolts on to an OM617 will not bolt up to an OM60x series engine. Do a search for a guy whos screen name is 5spd617. He did modify a 60x series trans to fit his 617, opposite of what you're trying to do. It wasnt elegant, but was a bit easier than anyone expected. The opposite path my prove better/easier. It appears the alignment pins match up and trans input shafts are in same planes. One thing to consider is the spline count and shaft size are different so clutches will be another challenge to do right. GM (interestingly) and Mercedes shared spline counts/diameters for both of these transmissions. The earlier 617 style has fewer splines but slightly larger shaft (IIRC) and is interchangeable with GM style of that era. The later had more splines and again is interchangeable with GM of its era.

RE: Manual gearbox options - NZScott - 01-13-2016

Think 617 was a typo, searching 270 CDI comes up with OM612. I know nothing about these, but the starter seems to be on the same side as the 60x...

RE: Manual gearbox options - plasticbadger - 01-13-2016

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I'm sorry, I definately meant a OM612, the later 2.7 common rail 5 cylinder. The bell housing looks to be the same as the 605, with the same bolt layout, same starter position etc. Refining down, this box or a 711.620 from a OM602 sprinter are looking the most available options, so the question is are they any good?

RE: Manual gearbox options - SurfRodder - 01-13-2016

OK, totally different beast (completely missed that whole part that ended with CDI)...yes that engine is based on the OM60x series blocks and thus bell pattern.

How heavy is the truck the engine is going in?

That CDI engine makes about 160 HP & 280 lb-ft and the sprinters are fairly heavy (~6000lbs). I'd wager a box in decent shape would hold up to most abuse. The biggest killers of manual transmissions offroad are poor driving and unrealistic expectations. The local vans and shuttles I've seen around here have drivers that bang through the gears and most of the ones I've talked to said they are pretty reliable...haven't heard one of them complain about the trans in any case.

If you can verify the Ssangyong box is the same as what was used behind that engine in the sprinter, I'd bet it would do nicely for your needs.

RE: Manual gearbox options - plasticbadger - 01-18-2016

The project truck is a landrover chassis based race truck, 'tomcat' style. It won't be light weight, realistically 1600-1900 kg. It will have low gearing and 37" tall soft compound tyres, so the 'box will be getting some abuse.

The current truck is a landrover defender based machine with a tuned landrover 200tdi (probably 140hp approx), heavy at 2000 kg, same tyres/gearing and the old landrover LT77 gearbox lasts about season!

RE: Manual gearbox options - CRD4x4 - 01-18-2016

(01-18-2016, 03:18 PM)plasticbadger The project truck is a landrover chassis based race truck, 'tomcat' style. It won't be light weight, realistically 1600-1900 kg. It will have low gearing and 37" tall soft compound tyres, so the 'box will be getting some abuse.

The current truck is a landrover defender based machine with a tuned landrover 200tdi (probably 140hp approx), heavy at 2000 kg, same tyres/gearing and the old landrover LT77 gearbox lasts about season!

Ask "baldur" about Ssangyong 4x4 - I think he's got one.
I'm interested in the transmission specs too!

RE: Manual gearbox options - mcwfxx - 01-19-2016

(01-18-2016, 05:39 PM)CRD4x4
(01-18-2016, 03:18 PM)plasticbadger The project truck is a landrover chassis based race truck, 'tomcat' style. It won't be light weight, realistically 1600-1900 kg. It will have low gearing and 37" tall soft compound tyres, so the 'box will be getting some abuse.

Ask "baldur" about Ssangyong 4x4 - I think he's got one.
I'm interested in the transmission specs too!

Just looking at a ssangyong with om605 in it (i think, didn't spend much time just a quick glance - sadly pump been taken) in the scrapyard today. axles and gearbox still there. Looked agricultural ;-)

RE: Manual gearbox options - plasticbadger - 01-20-2016

Agricultural is good! We wouldn't be building a coal fired, mechanical monster like this if we liked electronics!