STD
Moving upstate - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Moving upstate (/showthread.php?tid=6571)

Moving upstate - Purplecomputer - 06-16-2015

Hey guys,

So ill be moving to upstate new york. Possibly to Ithaca or Cortland. My girlfriend is going back to school at Cortland after putting off for a few years. I figured I could use a change of pace.

Any of you guys up there? thinking about getting another w123 or even a w115 to mess around with up there as hopefully ill be able to get a big old house with garage space all to myself. 

anyone heard from JB3?

RE: Moving upstate - Greazzer - 06-16-2015

Congradts on the move.

John is still around ...

RE: Moving upstate - Simpler=Better - 06-16-2015

First, Ithaca is midstate. You're not upstate until you're above Watertown!

You'll be glad to get out of NYC. The rest of NY is pretty junky, but way better than NYC. LOTS of computer illiterate people out in the sticks, easy money and they're glad to pay it (cheaper than buying a new one).

RE: Moving upstate - JB3 - 06-18-2015

move to ithaca if you can, not cortland.

Nothing is ever going on it cortland, and when winter sets in, nothing is really ever going on in cortland.

Ithaca has a pretty decent population and is a pretty city with a great location and nice view.  Lots of old diesels, and lots of hippies running VO on benz diesels you can grab and fix after they mess them up through lack of prep or maintenance.   This was the scene when I lived in Syracuse.

Take up cross country skiing and winter sports, downhill skiing is nice and cheap.  

RE: Moving upstate - Purplecomputer - 06-18-2015

Yeah I have been to cortland. There is nothing there. But is waaaay cheaper to live there.

So far looking for jobs with a tech recruiter and I have better chances of a high paying job in syracuse. lots of programming jobs  in Ithaca but not so many IT Jobs there.

I mean I get get helpdesk anywhere but Ive been looking for more system admin roles.

RE: Moving upstate - CRD4x4 - 06-19-2015

Have you and your GF considered Albany? Gov't jobs are plentiful, nearly impossible to be fired from and the city is full of cheap (off campus) housing. Also, being more urban (but small & safe) almost all the houses have detached garages or carriage houses behind them in the alleyways.
I've referred to "Small-bany" in the past as being 3 hour drive from anywhere (S=NYC, N=Montreal, E=Boston, W=Syracuse). Vermont is close, the Adirondacks are close, you could even commute to NYC on the Accella bullet train if need be.
Albany is my vote!

RE: Moving upstate - Purplecomputer - 08-11-2015

So everything's been all set!

Im moving to brooktondale NY about 10 minutes from ithaca. I got a job in downtown ithaca (With a pay increase too!) working at a computer consulting firm.

Now all i need is a another mercedes/old car to work on during the weekends.

anyone wanna donate one?

RE: Moving upstate - Simpler=Better - 08-11-2015

They're around, keep them eyes peeled Smile